PDA

View Full Version : Mirror mirror on the wall, when is the best time to go of all??

Bellerella
08-19-2010, 06:32 PM
We just got back from our trip to the World last night :cry: and are now rearing to plan our next trip!! :mickey:

We found mid-August to be a very uncomfortable time to visit the World, and for our next trip are considering late April, early October, or early December. Research on Orlando weather says averages for those months are in the 80's for April and October, and 70's for December, of course it is hard to says with averages lol. Which of these months did you find most comfortable? Also, how did you find crowds during these times? I know that the parks get very crowded at the end of December, but I've read that early December isn't very crowded at all. What do you think?

I know that we would catch the International Flower and Garden Festival, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, or Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party during these time frames. If it were your trip, which of these would you pick? Thanks!! :balloon:

faline
08-19-2010, 06:37 PM
If you're planning a trip for next year, I'd stay away frokm late April. Easter will fall in late April next year and that usually brings significant crowds.

Weather is cooling off by October (and by Florida standards) but it can still be pretty warm at this time of year. I can contrast though, with having at least one trip, in mid-October, where we found jeans and sweatshirts a necessity for evenings. Most October trips have not required this. October crowds can be moderate, particularly during the Food & Wine Festival. On our last October trip, it was difficult to walk around World Showcase during the evening hours!

Early December gets more popular each year. Weather is typically fine though, there are times, when it can actually get quite cold (think winter coats) at this time of year. I'd expect moderate crowds. Weather is typically quie nice but, as noted, can range into cold on some occasions.

Daisy'sMom
08-19-2010, 07:15 PM
I'd wait til at least the middle of Oct. It can still be pretty warm the first few weeks.:mickey:

Melanie
08-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Weather is typically fine though, there are times, when it can actually get quite cold (think winter coats) at this time of year. I'd expect moderate crowds. Weather is typically quie nice but, as noted, can range into cold on some occasions.

And we had quite a bit of wet weather the first week of December last year. :umbrella:

faline
08-19-2010, 07:39 PM
And we had quite a bit of wet weather the first week of December last year. :umbrella:

We were there at the beginning of December last year. My brother arrived the day before we did and his whole first day there was rainy. It was raining when we arrived (late in the evening) but most of our trip was rain free though on the coolish side. The day we attended Mickey's party, the temps went up and we wore shorts all day and even to the party that night. My brother stayed one day longer than we did and, yup, he got another rainy day!

Typically, though, December is usually pretty dry - at least in my experience.

Melanie
08-19-2010, 07:50 PM
We were there at the beginning of December last year.

Right, I remember you being there the same time we were. We had a few days in a row which were rainy (towards the end of the week), and then I remember the month in general (after getting back home) being wet.

You just never know!

faline
08-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Right, I remember you being there the same time we were. We had a few days in a row which were rainy (towards the end of the week), and then I remember the month in general (after getting back home) being wet.

Duh!! Of course! We ran into you at Disney Studios! Exactly where is my brain??!! :confused:

Strmchsr
08-19-2010, 08:04 PM
At least ya'll didn't get snow and a high of 32 while you were there. I couldn't believe I was in Orlando during our January trip!

To the OP - check the historic weather page in Info Central for exact conditions over the last 5 years for all of those dates. I agree 100% with Linda about late-April. Normally it's not too bad, but it will be next year. October and December have both gotten a good bit more crowded. I suppose between the two just pick whether you want Halloween or Christmas. Personally, I think the MNSSHP is a lot better than MVMCP, but they are both fun.

faline
08-19-2010, 08:09 PM
At least ya'll didn't get snow and a high of 32 while you were there. I couldn't believe I was in Orlando during our January trip!

You'd think, as a weather person, you'd plan a little better than that, Chris! ;)

Melanie
08-19-2010, 08:22 PM

Well, I was only 50 so miles away. ;) We DEFINITELY had the cold temps, which I loved, loved, loved!!!!

Strmchsr
08-19-2010, 09:00 PM
You'd think, as a weather person, you'd plan a little better than that, Chris! ;)

Oh, I knew it was coming, but seeing as I'm in public relations and not management there wasn't much I could do. Unfortunately, when I put in my order for perfect weather the Boss must have missed my memo. :D

mermaidmarian
08-19-2010, 09:02 PM
We used to go to WDW during the first half of May when it didn't matter for my son to miss some time from school. I find that an excellent time of year; the weather is quite lovely, crowds are very manageable because school is still in session in most places and you can enjoy the Flower Festival. We have also gone in early November, which also offers nice weather.

Personally, I did not enjoy our visit during the first week of December nearly as much as our other trips. One factor that you may not take into consideration is that it gets darker so much earlier in December and when compared to springtime and summertime daylight, it made our days at Disney "feel" so much shorter. I rarely, if ever, hear anyone else make note of this, but it was a really significant issue for us during that trip.

We just got back on Tuesday from our trip to WDW. I've actually really come to enjoy WDW in August almost as much as in May, which is hands down my favorite time to visit.

Have fun planning your next trip!

faline
08-19-2010, 09:06 PM
Unfortunately, when I put in my order for perfect weather the Boss must have missed my memo. :D

It can happen!!! :D

lovinmesomedisney
08-19-2010, 09:17 PM
I went in mid April this year and it was PERFECT! The weather was magnificent. It was in the high 70's until the last day we were there, when it got much warmer. I think we just got lucky because a cast member told me that a huge storm had just gone through the day before we got there and cooled things way down. I guess it was just my lucky 50th bday celebration! It also was not very crowded. Lots of walk ons, and we were able to do just about everything we wanted to accomplish in all the parks. I am also going in September, which I do every year. I like the crowd levels at this time. The only problem is, it can be very warm. A couple years weren't so bad, but other years were very hot. I am pretty used to the heat though. Heck, I am from St. Louis, where it has been in the high 90s with high humidity all summer long. Our heat index for most of this summer has been well over 100 degrees. I think I can probably take the heat, as long as I am in Disney World. :mickey:

Bellerella
08-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Wow, thanks for all the replys! :mickey: I think my family found the heat so unbearable because we're in Wyoming, where it snows from October-May lol! We're used to cooler weather and high winds, quite the opposite of Florida!!

Does anyone know what the spring break crowd is usually like? I'm guessing it ranges from late March through April- I know the schools here tend to take spring break the week before Easter. It sounds like out of what we are considering, April-May would be the best temps and best crowds if we plan right!! Thanks everyone!! :mickey:

lovinmesomedisney
08-19-2010, 11:39 PM
We made the fatal mistake one year of heading down on the night of Easter Sunday. It was AWFUL!!! The crowds were so bad that it was difficult to get a drink. Everything had long waits, and just trying to navigate through the parks was a nightmare. I would definitely recommend staying as far away as possible anywhere near Easter!

Strmchsr
08-20-2010, 08:05 AM
Does anyone know what the spring break crowd is usually like? I'm guessing it ranges from late March through April- I know the schools here tend to take spring break the week before Easter. It sounds like out of what we are considering, April-May would be the best temps and best crowds if we plan right!! Thanks everyone!! :mickey:

Normally the spring break crowds are heaviest late March and early April. The problem is that Easter is April 24 next year and none of us really know what impact that will have on crowd patterns.

Keep in mind (again, check the historic weather conditions page) that even early May can be pretty hot. Some years early May is very pleasent, but I was down the first week of May in both 2009 and 2010 and both years highs ranged 92-94 all week. Not as humid as August, but you also didn't get the usual thunderstorms in the afternoon. If you want to guarantee nicer weather then, yes, March or April would be best. The issue next year is what will happen with the crowds. No idea, but I would think mid-March might be a good time to shoot for.

Gregandmel
08-20-2010, 01:33 PM
We went the 1st week in October in 2008 and the last week in April 2010. Loved both times we went - crowds were very very manageable and the weather was great! however - in 2011 Easter is April 24th so that will increase the crowds tremendously. When we went this past trip, Easter was April 4th, so we missed those crowds. Just take into account special holidays surrounding your visit to maximize your chances of low(er) crowds. Our goal both times we went were to try & hit better weather and lower crowds and we did a good job both times! :mickey:Enjoy!!

spoiledraf
08-21-2010, 06:22 PM
I like late September. Crowds thin out a bit and the temps are still warm enough for water rides and swimming with the kids. Plus you can get good room rates (40% off deluxe) or free dining.