PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays + Family = Magic! Day 2

Suz36
08-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Sorry about the delay! Here's Day 2!

Our tradition for our 1st full day has always been for me to let everyone sleep in while I go to the food court for Mom's room service, which gives me a chance to absorb the fact that I'm actually in my happy place! Since it was Mother's Day, my DD decided she wanted to help me this trip. So after Mickey and Stitch woke us up and we got ready, we headed over to the food court. The grounds of POFQ are so lovely! We came back to the room, the boys ate and got ready, then we met the whole crew at the bus stop and were on our way to DHS. We missed opening by a bit, but snagged our FPs for TSM, then headed to the Backlot Tour for our 1st time. I was surprised that they did not have guests participating in the boat scene - maybe because it was the first show of the day? I'd avoided this attraction up until now thinking the kids wouldn't have enjoyed it, but they did this time - phew! Loved seeing the Pirates and Enchanted (one of my favorites!) costumes in the Villains display. We did a little shopping (bought a Sulley pin for DB), then went to visit with Lightning and Mater - a must for DS! He is so adorable when he sees them! We wandered the Streets of America a bit, DB and family went to do Star Tours (we avoid this after some motion sickness issues last time :sick:), and we met up with Chip and Dale - they always seem to be our first characters! Indiana Jones was up next (a first for us - another :thumbsup:), then lunch at ABC Commissary (another first - quiet and cool!) We saw Lights, Motors, Action for the first time since our 1st trip in 2006 - such an exciting show! It was finally time for TSM, which everyone thoroughly enjoyed of course. I think DB and family were surprised at the rivalry among our family - I just barely took the crown this time! We got Mickey ice cream bars and various other frozen treats and made our way to Hollywood Blvd. for Block Party Bash. How do they perform like that in the Florida heat? It's absolutely amazing to me! DB and I grabbed FPs for RnRC, they we all rode GMR, where we had a female gangster for the first time - she was quite good! We had dinner at Hollywood and Vine (this was an achievement for us - last trip my poor DS got sick right before we were supposed to eat here, so we had to make sure it wasn't a bad omen!), where we discovered DNi's love of buffets! DM and DF then took the 4 little kids to VotLM while the big kids headed for the Aerosmith concert! This was another 1st for us, and we loved it! What an excellent ride! We got the best ride photo - had to buy it! We reunited with the kids and grandparents, then headed into Animation, where we learned to draw Goofy at the Animation Academy and played with the interactives. It was time to head for Fantasmic - what a madhouse! I was grateful we had the dining package, otherwise it would have been a very frightening experience! The show was wonderful, as always. Why did they have to put that theater so far from the bus stops??:shrug: What a long walk that is at the end of the day! I earned my nickname for the week, Pillow, from DNi as she rested on me for the ride home.

dizne4me
08-19-2010, 06:28 AM
Sounds like it was wonderful day. Thanks for posting.

Suz36
08-22-2010, 09:53 PM
I can't believe I forgot this part!! (Brain's not what it used to be!) A few months before our trip, the clasp on my favorite purse (had little Mickey silhouettes on it) broke, so DH decided he wanted to get me a new Disney purse for Mother's Day. He did a lot of research online (bless his heart) and came up with the Dooney and Bourke designs, but we both agreed this was more $$ than we felt comfortable spending sight unseen. So we did a little shopping on Mother's Day while at DHS, and I got my adorable D&B bag! Isn't he the best???!!!

faline
08-23-2010, 09:45 AM
What a lovely mother's day! And such a nice present!

DizNee143
08-23-2010, 10:01 AM
sounds like you enjoyed a very nice mothers day!! and what an awesome gift you got! :mickey:

Joannelet
08-23-2010, 11:17 AM
You aren't the first one to mention about the no guest volunteers before Backlot Tour. Wonder why? What did they do for that portion without volunteers? Did they already have people?
What a lovely gift you got! :)
My family also gets excited for Lightning and Mater. I cannot wait for my DS to meet them on our next trip as he LOVES LOVES LOVES lightning and mater! THe last trip he wasn't as into him at the time so we didn't make time to see them.
But now omg we watch the movie literally EVERYDAY! :)
Great report! :)
I also like your mommy time in the morning on your first day :) I need to try that :)

Suz36
08-23-2010, 11:50 AM
What did they do for that portion without volunteers? I also like your mommy time in the morning on your first day :) I need to try that :) Pretty much they just showed us the different special effects, no storyline involved. I really look forward to my first morning each trip, and as I was writing this out, I realized I hadn't planned it into next trip! I'll need to fix that!

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Sounds like a great day:)

RedSoxFan
08-30-2010, 08:13 AM
Great day. Love your mother's day present!!

Jennib
08-30-2010, 11:47 PM
great day :)