PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Tourney at WWoS

DisnIse
08-18-2010, 12:19 PM
OK, I know they rethemed it ESPN, but I still like thinking of it as the Wide World of Sports complex.

My son's travel team is going to do a vacation tournament next year. They coach mentioned Cooperstown, which is great, but it looks like it's even more expensive than visiting Disney! (And without a theme park!!!)

Has anyone ever done any of the sport tourneys at Disney? Are they really as awesome as they sound? It sounds like such a great opportunity.... but before I approach the coach, I want to know if I'm missing any downside.

Thanks!:number1:

ThanxForNoticin
08-18-2010, 12:43 PM
You hit on a topic that I love to talk about, so I'll try to keep this note on point!! First, just for clarification, are you talking about 12U baseball, or something older? Since you mentioned Cooperstown - and the biggest tournaments in the country are the 12U events all summer at Cooperstown - I'm thinking your son is 12U.

I had the privilege of taking 2 teams to Cooperstown and 2 teams to Disney tournaments (one for 12U and one as 14U). Both are great experiences. I would highly recommend either/both. I would do it again in a minute.

My unofficial pros and cons:

Cooperstown Dreams Park:
- pros:
- probably the best baseball experience we've had. Lots and lots of baseball against teams from all over the country (and sometimes the world).
- expensive, but not as expensive as the Disney tournaments turned out to be (mostly because we had to fly to Disney, but could drive to Ctown). It also includes lodging and food for players and coaches.

- cons:
- VERY difficult to get into. The tournament is so popular, and teams are grand-fathered from year to year, it's tough to get in.

Disney Baseball Tournaments:
- pros:
- Very well run. Exceptional facilities. Packages include passes (and time) for the parks.

- cons:
- They are usually run over weekends when kids have time off from school, like holiday weekends. It means it's usually a very busy weekend - and often a very hot time of the year.

Blah, blah, blah - I warned you I could talk about this!! Again, if you are even thinking about either tournament, definitely take the next step and see how others feel about it. My son is now in his 20s and playing college ball - and both of these places are among his favorite experiences. Good luck with your decision....

Scar
08-18-2010, 03:20 PM
I have no experience with tournaments, but lots with playing baseball as a kid, Cooperstown, and Disney weather. If this tournament is in the summer... pick Cooperstown.

DisnIse
08-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Thank you!!!!
Matt playing 12U, and this is his first travel experience. The 12U team from our town has done Cooperstown for the past few years. I love baseball, but I'd MUCH rather travel to somewhere that might have a bit more to offer, since this will be our summer vacation, I think.
I really appreciate the info, and although MY kids are used to Disney heat in July, the other kids on the team might melt into puddles. Didn't think about that!
:)

VWL Mom
08-19-2010, 11:19 AM
There are some great summer tournaments in Myrtle Beach. Have done both Cal Ripkin and Triple Crown in the last few years. Fun things nearby for the kids: mini golf, water park, beach, etc. This year, we stayed a few days after the tournament for family time. Prices weren't terrible.

ThanxForNoticin
08-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Thank you!!!!
Matt playing 12U, and this is his first travel experience. The 12U team from our town has done Cooperstown for the past few years. I love baseball, but I'd MUCH rather travel to somewhere that might have a bit more to offer, since this will be our summer vacation, I think.
I really appreciate the info, and although MY kids are used to Disney heat in July, the other kids on the team might melt into puddles. Didn't think about that!
:)

My personal recommendation, for what it's worth - your son is only this age once. If he has the chance to play at Cooperstown Dreams Park as 12U, don't miss it (for baseball lovers, Cooperstown has much more to offer than you might realize). Disney runs tournaments for older age groups, too. You would still have time to experience baseball at Disney later, as he gets older, should you choose to do so. Best of luck to your son and his baseball experiences.

DisnIse
08-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks again. Our big meeting with the coaches and parents to plan for 2011 (and the fundraising to go along with it!) is in a few weeks.
Whatever the program decides, I know it'll be an amazing opportunity for the kids!
And you're right, hopefully there are enough baseball summers left in my kids to do more than one in a lifetime!

ThanxForNoticin
08-20-2010, 01:51 PM
I understand the need for fundraising!! But I can assure you, it is well worth the effort.