PDA

View Full Version : Help - Insulin pump users or other med devices

WDW&MK
08-17-2010, 05:11 PM
My DH recently started using an insulin pump. So, per advice here at intercot we contacted the pump mfg to ask if it will be ok to wear on roller coasters etc for our upcoming WDW trip. They said that regarding G forces, it will have a negligible effect, so we're ok there, BUT they went on to say that it is made to withstand magnets and magnetic fields up to 600 gauss :confused:. Just one more thing to worry about.......I am going to contact Disney to see if this is an issue. Anyone else have issues with this or have any of you checked this out? I am thinking magnets come into play for RnRC, possibly Mt. Everest, maybe Spaceship Earth, TTA, not sure what else. Anyone with pump experience at Disney?
Thanks in advance.
Kari

sneadhead
08-17-2010, 09:15 PM
My daughter wears an insulin pump and has had no problems on any of the rides at Disney World (and she has been on them all many times). She does wear an Omnipod pump, which is tubeless. Not sure what type your husband wears or if that would make a difference.

Strmchsr
08-17-2010, 09:18 PM
I've never had an experience (or heard of one) with magnetism from any of the rides causing problems with pumps. One thing I don't have experience with (since we always drive to WDW) is whether there's an issue with pumps going through airport security.

sneadhead
08-17-2010, 10:42 PM
We always drive too, so I'm not sure about the airport security issue either.

IloveJack
08-18-2010, 01:14 PM
I wore mine last year on our trip. Had no trouble with it at all. We flew down, also, and I told the guy as I was walking through the security gate that I was wearing a pump. He didn't seem to care much, and it didn't set the alarm off anyhow. The only thing I had to be careful of was to not catch the tubing on things, especially in crowded areas.

WDW&MK
08-20-2010, 05:18 PM
So, those who've gone to WDW with the pump have ridden everything while wearing your pump with the pump turned on and not had any problems?? Including RnRC and Mt Everest? Anyone have a medtronics minimed pump?

I have been calling Disney to see if they could even just tell me what rides might have magnetic fields and no one can answer that. I am glad to hear no one has had issues. I was hoping when we checked with the rep from Medtronics she'd say don't worry about it, but seeing she brought this up now we are concerned and trying to decide how to handle this. We could go and assume that we won't have an issue, but if the pump stops working for whatever reason, that would be a pretty awful 24-72 hours before we could get a replacement.

Thanks for your replies!
Kari

IloveJack
08-23-2010, 02:05 PM
So, those who've gone to WDW with the pump have ridden everything while wearing your pump with the pump turned on and not had any problems?? Including RnRC and Mt Everest? Anyone have a medtronics minimed pump?

I've ridden quite a few things controlled by magnetic forces, at other themeparks as well, and I've never had an issue. And yes, I have a medtronics minimed paradigm.

WDW&MK
08-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks everyone!!

Today, my caller ID said Disney and it was someone calling me back regarding the electro magnetic fields question that I asked. Thought I would let all of you know that they said the EMF was tested on several of the rides and it does not even come close to that 600 gauss number that medtronics provided as a maximum exposure number. :thumbsup: He said we shouldn't have anything to worry about and to enjoy our vacation :mickey: I was thrilled and impressed that we got an answer to our question direct from Disney (and the answer we wanted as well :D). I had kind of given up too. I had been transferred and transferred when i called and left a few voicemails and didn't hear anything for about a week - so this was really great. My DH was soooo happy to hear this. No wonder we sooo love WDW :number1:

MPLSguy
10-25-2010, 09:27 AM
I wear an insulin pump and have been on almost every attraction ride in WDW, Disneyland and DL Paris and I have NEVER had any problems wearing it. Nor have I ever taken any special precautions that is out of the ordinary. Have fun and enjoy worry free... :mickey:

thumperbug
11-26-2010, 05:11 PM
I have had a minimed paradigm pump for 8 years and have beem to WDW at least 12 times during that time and never had any problem on any ride, attraction, airline, bus or security. I do mention to xray folks I have a pump and take it out of my pocket to show them. Some airports it does set off the alarm, some it doesn't. I think the "worst" thing that ever happened was the TSA doing a quick wipedown of the pump for explosive residue. Really a none issue and I'd rather them take the extra measure if they are unsure of what an insulin pump it.

As a side note, I have never had a problem with my tubing being caught on anything.