PDA

View Full Version : I want everyone's help and advice

Daisy'sMom
08-17-2010, 04:25 PM
I just talked to my sister n law and believe it or not, she and her family have never been to DisneyWorld.! I know! They have decided to make a family trip Thanksgiving 2011. We want them to have the best possible vacation ever, and she asked us to do all the planning. They are staying for 6 nights. Come on everyone, give me your best advice for the best vacation ever.
Thanks so much
:wave:

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Are they on a budget, how many are in the family and what are their ages?

I would strongly advise staying on Disney property....it just adds something to the vacation experience that even when you leave the park for the day you are still on Disney property emersed in that Disney feel.
I would suggest Magical Journeys for booking.

Check out the menus section and then the dining plan prices to see if this would be a good fit or if they would do better without the plan. If they plan on doing Table service meals, they need to make ADRs ahead of time (180 days) to get their choices.

Of the six days if they are full days, I would spend 2 days MK, 2 days Epcot and 1 each in DHS and AK...I would need more details to offer more advice.:cloud9:

caryrae
08-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Yeah a little more info about them and their budget would help. I agree have them go through MJ to help them get any discounts that may pop up.

May be good to have a day of rest in the middle of the trip since they have never been and they could be overwhelmed. I know it helps us to not go go go everyday.

Maybe order them a Vacation Planning dvd or let them borrow yours if you have on but may want to wait til the end of the year when the new ones come out.

PopPhan
08-17-2010, 05:20 PM
If it is the very first trip to WDW, try to talk them out of one of the busiest times of the year!!

If they could schedule the week BEFORE or the week AFTER Thanksgiving, it would be much nicer for them with lower crowds and the ability to actually ENJOY taking their time and soaking up all the magic!

Book thru MJ; Stay ON property; Use DME and Disney Transportation; Visit the Resorts; Take time to relax and enjoy what is offered!

Goofy4TheWorld
08-17-2010, 05:32 PM
If it is the very first trip to WDW, try to talk them out of one of the busiest times of the year!!

If they could schedule the week BEFORE or the week AFTER Thanksgiving, it would be much nicer for them with lower crowds and the ability to actually ENJOY taking their time and soaking up all the magic!

This is the first thing I thought as well. Going around Thanksgiving is just asking for trouble when you have never been. The parks will be so crowded that some may even fill to capacity. Plus, going the week of Thanksgiving guarantees that they will not be eligible for any discounts and thus pay much more money for their trip.

rjmdds
08-17-2010, 06:23 PM
I think a big risk is trying to get them to see and do EVERYTHING. Be practical in the sense that there is so much to do and often so little time. Keep in mind that Disney isn't going anywhere and if you plan it right and they like it, then they'll go back again and enjoy the many, many things that Disney has to offer. I would treat it as a Disney sampler for them vs. getting as much in as possible. Make them leave wanting more, not being so exhausted that the idea of returning makes them cringe. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

faline
08-17-2010, 06:34 PM
First, how many in the family and what are the ages/gender of kids? The size of the family will impact where they can stay regardless of their budget.

Do they have pickey eaters or are they adventursome diners? Do they like to grab and go or do they like more leisurely meals? Does their budget allow for table service meals or counter service?

Are sedate rides more their style? Or do they head straight for the roller coasters? Do they like shows? Is pool time important or would they rather spend the time in the parks?

More information would definitely help.

In general, I'd suggest that all family members familiarize themselves with what Disney has to offer so that they can select their must-dos. Of course, they can't do everything but certainly each family member should be able to have experiences that help make the trip magical!

Best of luck with the planning!l

Daisy'sMom
08-17-2010, 07:05 PM
I think they will probably be staying at a value resort, they want the dining plan because someone told them it was so easy. They have two boys, 14 and 11. They love roller coasters and they hope to see as much Christmas decorations as they can. I told them that most will be up. If the Candlelight Pro is scheduled, that will be a must, along with the Osborne lights. I just ordered a Birnbaums Disney book for them and hope they can come up with an idea of what they want. She wants them to come at Thanskgiving because the kids won't miss much school that way.
DH wants them to love it as much as he does. He's been trying to get his little sister there for many years. There is 14 years between them and I hope this will be a way they can have something special to remember. Thanks for your help.
:mickey:

faline
08-17-2010, 07:30 PM
We enjoyed Pop Century when we stayed there and I think I'd give that value a slight edge of All Star Music which we also enjoyed. We haven't stayed at the other All-Star resorts.

The dining plan isn't as easy as it sounds at first blush. First, you have to figure out whether the dining plan is cost effective. I kept pretty good track on our trip in May and came out ahead not using the plan and we ate at some restaurants not accepted on the plan. If you decide it'll work cost-wise, you still have to plan out where you'll eat and how many dining credits you'll use at each meal. I found this to be rather a pain. Plus, Thanksgiving is quite a busy time so it might be more difficult to get the table services you want and I would suspect that free dining won't be offered during this period of time.

I'd also suggest they take advantage of early morning extra magic hours though I understand that might be difficult with a teenager and a tweener who I suspect dislike getting up early in the morning! Still, they'd be able to accomplish a lot in that early extra magic hour. Also, be sure they understand fast pass and how it works before they go. So many folks seem to misunderstand this!

If they're going for the whole week, have them concentrate more on the rides at the beginning of the week when the crowds will be lower. They can focus on shows and non-ride things when the crowds come pouring in over the holiday.

The Birnbaum book is a good idea! It's pretty straightforward and not overwhelming.

Daisy'sMom
08-18-2010, 12:27 PM
:mickey:Thanks for your help. I know it is over a year away, but we are really excited that they are coming. We want them to love it as much as we do. My kids just told me that they will join the fun too. What a perfect holiday it will be.:mickey:

disney_daddy
08-19-2010, 01:45 PM
I agree with some of the above posts and try to reschedule if possible and also we use Magical Journeys every year and highly recommend them. Also I get tickets for Mickey's Christmas Party, and tell them what rides and shows not to miss, because I'm sure they'll be overwhelmed.

ANG
08-19-2010, 02:07 PM
I'd recommend the Passporter book!

Even though we're Disney buffs, we still love to read about all our options.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-19-2010, 02:12 PM
I think they will probably be staying at a value resort, they want the dining plan because someone told them it was so easy. They have two boys, 14 and 11. They love roller coasters and they hope to see as much Christmas decorations as they can. I told them that most will be up. If the Candlelight Pro is scheduled, that will be a must, along with the Osborne lights. I just ordered a Birnbaums Disney book for them and hope they can come up with an idea of what they want. She wants them to come at Thanskgiving because the kids won't miss much school that way.
DH wants them to love it as much as he does. He's been trying to get his little sister there for many years. There is 14 years between them and I hope this will be a way they can have something special to remember. Thanks for your help.
:mickey:

Okay: We've been several times during holidays and if that's the only available option just tell them to be prepared for crowds and long waits on popular rides after lunch time.
They will need to get to the parks when they open and ride the most popular rides:

We actually liked All Stars Movies better than Pop but I think they will be happy with any on property hotel. When staying on site you have perks like Disney transportation to and from parks, extra Early morning and late hours and dining plan. We love the dining plan although its not for everyone because we do find it convenient.

They sound about the same age with the same likes my son had on our last trip some of his favorite rides were:

Animal Kingdom-Expedition Everest (his favorite)-
At the Animal Kingdom do EE, Safari, Tough to be a Bug and Festival of Lion king for sure.

DHS-Must dos- Rockin Roller coaster and Tower of Terror first....then Indiana Jones, Backlot, Great Movie ride and Lights, Motor, Action

Epcot-Test Track, Soarin, Expedition Space, Maelstrom, Spaceship Earth, World Showcase

Magic Kingdom-Do as much as possible, but do Space Mountain, Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain, and Peter Pan before the park gets too busy