PDA

View Full Version : Matchy Matchy is it Tacky?

AvaNellMouse
08-13-2010, 08:53 AM
My BFF's husband is springing for a trip for the two of us to WDW for a week in November. I might have purchased several outfits from the Disney Store online for our journey. :secret:

Is it TOO MUCH for two grown women to wear matching outfits for a week in the parks? She will be in an ECV chair so maybe it won't be so obvious but... now that I have:
Mickey sweats, matching Mickey t's
Tink sweats, matching Tink t's
Pink Minnie hoodies
and several sets of t's
I'm a little concerned about being complete freaks for a week. "Oh, there's the matchy chicks."
:ack:

Should I care or just go and enjoy the geekdom of being a Disney freak/tourist/devotee?

faline
08-13-2010, 09:04 AM
I see many families in matching outfits at Disney. If you don't want to match, there's nothing that requires you to wear the same items on the same days even if you have the same outfits.

Personally, I would be unlikely to try to dress in matching outfits but I have no problem with those who choose to match.

Ksmith75
08-13-2010, 09:20 AM
I say go for it!!! 2 yeasr ago, DH and I had made 2 matching shirts for our vacation. Go for it. Enjoy your time there. I am a total Disney geek when I am there! I feel happy there and love to be totally immersive with Disney! Have a blast, dont worry about what other people will say...

applecore72
08-13-2010, 09:24 AM
I also say go for it!

That's one of the things I love about Disney - watching people in their matching outfits or T-shirts! I once saw a family of five or six (w kids of all ages) all dressed up in shirts which I'm guessing the mother had made - they were absolutely fabolous!

Dragongirlx
08-13-2010, 09:45 AM
If you both want to wear identical outfits go for it. Or you can take turns in wearing the outfits that are the same - one wears the tink one on Monday the other on Tuesday.
I am a twin so I grew up with my mother dressing us in matching outfits all the time so we tend not to wear the same clothes now. That said my sister and I did buy some matching clothes that we are both taking with us to WDW in September whether or not we wear them on the same day is another matter.

Dewdrop034
08-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Definitely go for it. Vacations are meant to be fun and no one at Disney will judge you for what you wear. My 16 yo son wore a neon green goofy hat the whole week we were there, something he would never do outside the gates of WDW. Have a great time!!

Belle619
08-13-2010, 10:34 AM
The best part about Disney trips is that you don't have to care about how you look! It's all about having fun and I think everyone there appreciates that fact.

My sister and I have often gone in "complementing" outfits (i.e. same shirt but her's will have Snow White, mine will have Belle.) Mind you, we're in our 30's!

Where else but Disney could we get away with that?!?!? :mickey:

PinKy
08-13-2010, 10:37 AM
I think that's pretty common at Disney isn't it? My family often goes with matching shirts/outfits etc. Have fun!

tmosier
08-13-2010, 10:42 AM
It was very sweet of you to buy your friend a few things from the Disney store for your trip! But, for what it's worth, I think it is too much for two grown women to wear matching outfits.

Disney4us2
08-13-2010, 10:46 AM
I say go for it:thumbsup: DD is getting old enough now (size wise) that we can get matching shirts. We wear them to Disneyland all the time.

Go and have a fun trip.:mickey:

ILoveLegos
08-13-2010, 11:22 AM
At least you'll know what the other person is wearing if you get separated. :blush:

I have occasionally worn matching shirts with my mom, my aunt, best friend and my best friend's sister in law. In our case, it was a matching Winnie the Pooh shirt and we wore them the day we had an early breakfast at Crystal Palace. Of course, Pooh bear totally approved! LOL!

At other times we've worn matching Mickey Polo shirts with tiny Mickey emblems on them, so you had to look closely to see we matched but we did. We got a few approval comments from other guests and cast members that pay attention to details like that, but most people probably did not even notice our matching attire - for us it was fun, and built comraderie! :)

The one way it worked great was it was easy for us to let the ride cast members know how many were in our party. We'd say something like,"There are four of us - all in the same Mickey shirts!"

Our pictures were so cute. Of course, no body clashed in colors either. We still send snap shots to one another on anniversaries and as an attachment on emails when we are in the planning mode for our next trip together. It gets us all in the right frame of mind for our next girls only vacation together. We'll probably plan a day or two of matching outfits on our next trip together in January. :mickey:

Have a great time. :thumbsup:

DisneyPrincess21
08-13-2010, 12:06 PM
I think it is totally fine! Disney is the one place on earth where you can be dressed however you want and not be judged for your love of Disney. At Disney you can be a kid again, and I know when I was a kid, one of me and my BFF's favorite things we loved to do was dress alike, so what better way to feel like a kid again at disney, then to match with your best friend. I think it is totally cute.

:tink:
I Hope You Have A Magical Vacation! :wave:

BluewaterBrad
08-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Go for it!! Its WDW!! I think it is pretty cool. Have a GREAT trip!!:mickey:

mdhiggin
08-13-2010, 04:24 PM
I don't think anyone would think it was out of the ordinary at Disney. There are so many people with matching shirts there, including my fam of 5. We get lots of comments from people wanting to know where we got our shirts from. A CM once told me they love when groups all wear the same thing. If one gets lost, they can show them exactly what they're wearing and not have to describe it.

PlutoToo
08-13-2010, 06:13 PM
If it makes you both happy.....go for it. Who cares if they say "There goes those matching chicks." Chances are you'll never see them again anyway. I say if you want to match do so and enjoy. If you choose to wear differing outfits some days, enjoy that as well. Most of all, enjoy the World and each others company.

KatrinaJ91
08-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Since turning 40 (2 years ago) I have adopted a new motto for my life...Do what makes you happy! If you WANT to dress alike and it makes you smile when you do it, then do it! Stop worrying about what other people think or what they will say. You don't need to make other people happy....you only need to make yourself happy!! Enjoy your trip! ;)

AvaNellMouse
08-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Well, you all are positively wonderful for giving your opinion on such a silly subject. Thank you for your feedback and if you are there in early November and see the matchy-matchy chicks feel free to say, "Hello"!

The real reason that I bought all of the outfits is so that I won't be quite so tempted to buy clothes while we are there and I can save my extra $$$ for Saana and Flying Fish. Yum!

Have a great weekend - and thanks again for your wonderful feedback!:thumbsup:

darthmacho
08-14-2010, 01:06 PM
The only time my wife and I wore matching shirts was the first day of our honeymoon trip. :mickey:

In any case, I can't think of a single reason for you not to wear your matching outfits, especially at WDW.

Just don't wear matching thongs by the pool! :laughing:

debandbub
08-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Wear the matching outfits- the pictures will come out great! Enjoy your trip!!

AvaNellMouse
08-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Just don't wear matching thongs by the pool!
I FORGOT about matching swimsuits! Thanks for the GREAT idea!
:vacation:

KIDDING! I wouldn't buy another woman a bathing suit without her permission and without her trying it on. A t-shirt is one thing, a bikini is another.

MinnieMommie
08-14-2010, 04:51 PM
hey Nell - what a nice thing you have done! If I were your friend I would think it was sweet of you. As long as you and your friend like the idea of wearing matching ts etc then go for it. I see people with matching outfits all the time and our family always notices and comments. It's always a fun thing to see. This is totally your call. If you and your friend like it then do it. Who cares what people you don't even know will think. Enjoy Disney in the way that best suits (excuse the pun) you :mickey:
ps: I just told DH about this and he said, "how wonderful!".

disneymom2000
08-15-2010, 03:51 PM
In 2000 I splurged on a visit for my mom and sister (and me of course!). I prepared for a year and each month I bought us a matching item. One month it was a Disney skort with a Disney T, another month it was matching walking shoes, etc etc. until we had enough matching clothing for a week trip. Then on Mother's Day, I took them out to eat and presented them with their tower of gifts which they laughed at until they opened their cards and saw they were actually getting to go to WDW. We planned each day what we would wear. That made the trip more memorable besides having souvenirs for years to come. Enjoy matching. It makes it special.:chipdale:

mickeys_princess_mom
08-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Have fun! DD and I do it all the time!

Mousemates
08-19-2010, 07:05 AM
why not...me and wifey even have matching "mousemates" t-shirts we generally wear once each time we visit.

AvaNellMouse
08-19-2010, 08:24 AM
I saw my friend yesterday and gave her the outfits - they all fit great! She was SO excited!

We are going to have a great trip!
Thanks again for the :thumbsup:

Tinker Fan
08-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Another says Go For It!!!! It's Disney and we all know we get a little goofy when we are there. I see lots of families and people in matching outfits so you will fit right in.

eeyorepoohfan
08-19-2010, 01:39 PM
My BFF's husband is springing for a trip for the two of us to WDW for a week in November. I might have purchased several outfits from the Disney Store online for our journey. :secret:

Is it TOO MUCH for two grown women to wear matching outfits for a week in the parks? She will be in an ECV chair so maybe it won't be so obvious but... now that I have:
Mickey sweats, matching Mickey t's
Tink sweats, matching Tink t's
Pink Minnie hoodies
and several sets of t's
I'm a little concerned about being complete freaks for a week. "Oh, there's the matchy chicks."
:ack:

Should I care or just go and enjoy the geekdom of being a Disney freak/tourist/devotee?

First of all, hello fellow New Mexican!!! I'm about 3 1/2 hours south of you! :thumbsup:

Second, I think it's a great idea and what a nice friend you are! My two sisters and I went to Disneyland in May (our first time together as adults, all in our 30s). I happened to be at the Disney Store a couple of weeks before our trip and saw a really cute shirt, and it was on sale! So I picked one up for me and my sisters (all of us are different shapes and sizes), but they all fit! So on our first full day at the parks we wore them. We actually got a lot of compliments and we were able to tell people we were on a sisters only trip! They thought it was such a great idea, even made some CMs want to do a sisters trip! It was really fun when we would see other women walking around in our shirt! One even asked if she could pretend to be our sister so she could match too! It was a fun experience!