PDA

View Full Version : Forbidden Journey

ddcrna
08-13-2010, 07:46 AM
So, can someone describe in a little detail exactly what type of ride this is?

Is it a coaster, or not? I get the thing with the robotic arm, which makes me wonder if it is more like Soarin'?

How high does it go, or is it in the dark like RNR, so the height doesn't matter?

Looking forward to our November trip !!

Strmchsr
08-13-2010, 08:21 AM
It's a robotic arm that moves your little 4 seater vehicle along. It doesn't move you very high as it puts you up in front of various screens. So, it's a little like Soarin, but it moves you around much more than Soarin. In the movement it's more like a roller coaster. It does keep you in the dark except for the screen in front of you. It's a fairly unique ride. You can't really compare it to anything at WDW.

I don't know if this applies to anyone in your family or not, but if anyone in your party is overweight at all keep in mind they may not be able to ride. It's actually fairly limiting in that regard. A friend of mine is 6'2, 250 lbs, not what I'd call huge, and he couldn't fit on it.

Maleficent's Dad
08-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Chris gives you a good description of the ride. It's sort of like a hydraulic arm holding a four-seater that moves on a track a la The Haunted Mansion.

There are movie screens (a la Soarin' on a smaller scale) that move along the track with you as you go - very neat, very nicely done.

Repeating Chris again, it is a very unique ride. And yes, they will - and do turn people away due to their size; and they do this with no compassion whatsoever. I saw people wait on line over an hour and get turned away once they tried to get into the seat - embarrassing and done quickly with zero empathy.

rhonary
08-13-2010, 10:29 AM
This must be one I missed! Where is this ride? DQ? If so that would explain it! (only been there once...prob never again)

Strmchsr
08-13-2010, 10:35 AM
This must be one I missed! Where is this ride? DQ? If so that would explain it! (only been there once...prob never again)

The is the brand new Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios that's been all over the news the last few months. The Forbidden Journey ride is inside Hogwarts Castle. It has nothing to do with Disney World.

lightyearfan
08-13-2010, 10:41 AM
It's a robotic arm that moves your little 4 seater vehicle along. It doesn't move you very high as it puts you up in front of various screens. So, it's a little like Soarin, but it moves you around much more than Soarin. In the movement it's more like a roller coaster. It does keep you in the dark except for the screen in front of you. It's a fairly unique ride. You can't really compare it to anything at WDW.

very good discription, does this ride turn u upside down?, i get motion sickness , but can do soarin and star tours with no issues, i've tried to get some info on this ride on other sites with no luck , so any additional info would be great , a month away from the world :mickey:

thanks
victor

Strmchsr
08-13-2010, 11:20 AM
very good discription, does this ride turn u upside down?

No, it doesn't go upside down. It's a good bit rougher than Soarin, but, in my opinion, not as rough on motion sickness as Star Tours seems to be. It does move you from screen to screen pretty quickly and you do get flung about, so you might take it with caution or take some medicine or ginger pills before going on it.

IloveJack
08-13-2010, 01:00 PM
So glad this question was posted. DH and I are trying for baby #2, so I may be preggers in October. Is this ride too bumpy for expectant mothers? I know ALL US rides say not for EM's, so I want the opinion of someone who's actually ridden this.

Strmchsr
08-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Is this ride too bumpy for expectant mothers?

Definitely not a good ride for expectant mothers. I suppose in terms of the way you're moved around the best comparison I can give is Dinosaur at WDW. Plus, the restraints would be on your belly, which is dangerous for an expectant mother. Soarin isn't such a big deal, but this is more intense than that.

IloveJack
08-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Definitely not a good ride for expectant mothers. I suppose in terms of the way you're moved around the best comparison I can give is Dinosaur at WDW. Plus, the restraints would be on your belly, which is dangerous for an expectant mother. Soarin isn't such a big deal, but this is more intense than that.

Thanks for the info!

Kim Possible
08-16-2010, 10:10 AM
I would also use the Spider-Man ride to describe how it is too, with the effects that are used

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-29-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm kinda of mad about missing this ride. I even asked an employee about it, while up in that area and he told me he had no idea what I was talking about. Talk about ZERO help. So we missed it!!

jazzy
09-04-2010, 08:06 PM
I would decribe it as seating is like the hulk, your on a track like peterpans flight, your moving in and out of scenes like the spiderman ride it is fun and worth doing at least once. My only gripe is that they tell to put all losse items in a locker but they warn you about loose fitting shoes, i wore flipflpos and scrunched my toes so tight and prayed theyed didnt go flying off. Be advised dont wear flipflops on this ride.

kwaller
09-07-2010, 10:20 AM
I am 5'6" size 14-16 lady, hope that is ok, my child will be so disappointed and I will be so embarassed if they turn us away b/c I can't fit in the ride, that would never happen at DW, hope they get that straightened out. I would feel so bad for anyone who was turned away for that reason. Going in October, never been to Universal, always to DW. We are only going b/c we love Harry Potter, can't wait!:mickey:

Strmchsr
09-07-2010, 10:41 AM
I am 5'6" size 14-16 lady, hope that is ok, my child will be so disappointed and I will be so embarassed if they turn us away b/c I can't fit in the ride, that would never happen at DW, hope they get that straightened out.

It's not going to change. That's the way the ride is designed. However, they have a "test" seat at the entrance to the ride so that you can make sure you'll be ok before getting in line.

On other note not related to this post - I keep seeing folks talking about spending a day or two at WWoHP. I hope everyone realizes that WWoHP is smaller than Fantasyland at MK. It's only one part of US and is not a big area, certainly not a place you could spend a couple of days. 3-4 hours, maybe.

kwaller
09-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks, I will definitely try out the seat before embarking on the line.

murphy1
09-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Do you guys think FJ is too scary for a 8/9 yo? My daughter was fine on Dinosaur and Star Tours, she wants to go on FJ. How are the crowds during the morning? We might do a package where we get the early entry (at 8 am) so I think we would be fine for the Fall on doing both parks (she doesn't like to go on all the rides).

Shari

Kim Possible
09-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks, I will definitely try out the seat before embarking on the line.

I'm a 4'11 girl whos prob about a size 18, i got on perfectly so you should be fine!

Strmchsr
09-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Do you guys think FJ is too scary for a 8/9 yo? My daughter was fine on Dinosaur and Star Tours, she wants to go on FJ. How are the crowds during the morning? We might do a package where we get the early entry (at 8 am) so I think we would be fine for the Fall on doing both parks (she doesn't like to go on all the rides).

Shari

From everything I'm hearing, the crowds have thinned out considerably, so you shouldn't have too much to worry about on that end. If your daughter did fine on those two rides, especially Dinosaur, she'll be fine on FJ. It's really not scary at all (though some with arachnophobia might find it a little intense).

joonyer
09-09-2010, 12:02 PM

Shari

If she has watched the Harry Potter movies and has not been scared by them, she'll be fine on the Forbidden Journey. If she's really scared of things like the Dementors or GIANT Spiders, then she'll probably get frightened on Forbidden Journey. Of course we all like to be scared some for the "thrill", that's the reason most of us like to ride them park attractions in the first place. Only you and your daughter can decide if you think the scare will take her beyond a "thrill" into nightmare territory.

Granny Jill A
09-14-2010, 03:38 PM
It's not going to change. That's the way the ride is designed. However, they have a "test" seat at the entrance to the ride so that you can make sure you'll be ok before getting in line.

I read a piece about this today. They are in the process of adapting some seats to accommodate larger riders. I do like the idea of trying it on before you are publicly humiliated.

BrerGnat
09-14-2010, 09:47 PM
They have already added the new seats. The seats on the ends of each row are the modified ones.

The test seat outside apparently now has a green, yellow, and red light. When you sit in it, if the light is green, you are good to go. If it's yellow, you need a modified seat. If it's red, you are too big, even for the modified seat, and you cannot ride.

NJGIRL
09-15-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm glad that they have fixed this problem so quickly.