PDA

View Full Version : Grocery delivery - or not?

Ropachs
08-12-2010, 02:25 PM
I had decided that we would use Garden Grocer for our upcoming trip, now I am questioning if it will be worth it for us.
Since we'll be on the DDP, I was mainly going to order breakfast items and drinks. I will bring lightweight items like granola bars and pretzels from home. Our order will be much less than $200, so we would have to pay the $12 delivery charge.
Now, I've recently heard that DVC resorts (we're staying at OKW) have a bigger selection of groceries as the rooms are all equipped with appliances, etc.
So, I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that you can purchase things like bread, gallons of milk, and fruit at the resort. And if yes, would that be easier (without being crazy expensive) than ordering the things we need from GG? (I'm estimating we would spend about $75 if we used GG.)
Thanks!

VWL Mom
08-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Bread, milk, breakfast items are available in the stores. We use GG mostly for drinks and breakfast items, laundry detergent, coffee & filters, and some snacks. Price wise they are comparable to what I pay here. Case drinks are much cheaper than you will find on property. We also order beer which is also cheaper. I like the convenience.

Dsnygirl
08-12-2010, 03:59 PM
We have used GG for every trip, and like you, mostly for bkfst items. We also get a big pack of water bottles (WAY cheaper than buying them in the parks, or using up a DDP credit on one...) and fresh fruit.

Yes, you can get milk, fruit, yogurt, etc., at the resorts, but you have to go each day to get it or spend a chunk up front and lug it back to your room and it is a LOT more expensive than buying it in bulk, even w/ the delivery charge.

We always spend less than $200 w/ GG -- usually it's in the $60 to $80 range. I actually went as far as to calculate what it would have cost me at CBR to buy the same stuff at Old Port Royale/in the parks, and it was far more than the cost of the food & delivery charge, combined.

I say give 'em a try... we've really liked the convience of showing up, checking in and having our groceries brought right up to our room by Bell Services... that way, we can get everything put away, know what we have and not have to worry about it. :thumbsup:

chefmickey3
08-12-2010, 04:19 PM
We love Garden Grocer and have used them for the last three years. That being said, the selection at the DVC resorts has improved greatly over the same time period and staying at BLT a couple of weeks ago, we decided that we will not use them again next year. All the breakfast items we would want were there and the same cost as our grocery store at home. We wound up wasting some of the food because we just didn't get to what we thought we would eat during the week. The heat was so extreme we just were not very hungry! We also spend about $75 but do not buy cases of water or laundry detergent because we drive and bring those items with us. That would be a big advantage to GG. Have a great trip!

gollybass
08-12-2010, 06:27 PM
are these groceries delivered to your room? Is Garden grocer an actual store off site?

#1donaldfan
08-13-2010, 12:48 PM
We used them our last trip and are now hooked....they are way worth it, no hasstle, no fuss !!!! :cool:

DisneyBunch5
08-13-2010, 01:36 PM
We also use them primarily for breakfast items and drinks. Even with the shipping charge, we feel that it's a good value vs. purchasing items onsite.

You order via their website, then choose a delivery date & time slot. If they deliver before you check-in, then the bellhops will keep the items in storage for you and refrigerate, if necessary.

Ropachs
08-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Well, I think we will go ahead and place an order with GG. Even if OKW has the groceries we need, I figure they won't have a few specific items we'll want, probably be a bit more expensive, and at least I'll save time and hassle not having to shop.

Dsnygirl - I'm curious about the bottled water you buy. Do you just use it to drink in your room or do you take some with you into the parks as well? That would certainly save us a ton of money, but I know no one will want to carry anything than they already have to!