PDA

View Full Version : 18 CMs Sickened By Fumes at AK Parking Lot

Ed
08-11-2010, 10:59 PM
From today's Orlando Sentinel - -

Fumes at Disney's Animal Kingdom sicken cast members in parking lot

By Susan Jacobson, Orlando Sentinel

3:48 PM EDT, August 11, 2010

Fumes from a parking-lot resurfacing project sickened 18 Walt Disney World employees this morning, fire officials said.

Six "cast members" at Disney's Animal Kingdom were taken to local hospitals — one to Dr. P. Phillips Hospital, the others to Florida Hospital Celebration Health — for treatment of minor complaints, said Reedy Creek Deputy Fire Chief Bo Jones.

The other employees were treated at the scene. No park guests were affected.

The fumes from the asphalt began blowing toward the entrance, causing some parking-lot attendants and workers at the front gate to complain of burning and itching eyes, nausea, skin discomfort and minor difficulty breathing, Jones said.

The employees were exposed to the fumes for less than an hour, he said.

5togetherWDW
08-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Interesting to read this. We were there that day and were wondering just what was happening. The bag check attendents near us were all coughing / wheezing. Ours had her hand over her mouth / eyes watering as she glanced at our bags. I began feeling lightheaded as we entered -- my son said it was just me being a worrier / germaphobe -- but I could smell something off / odd. When I commented to that affect, one of the nearby castmembers agreed that the air was terrible -- but offered no explanation. There was nothing visable in the air - and having come from the hadicapped lot, we did not see the paving work.
We wondered what was wrong --it was very uncomfortable in the parking lot area -- but inside the park I began to feel fine again.

Kim Possible
08-29-2010, 12:24 AM
AK parking lot seems to be a bad place... I got hurt there in June, now this..... And don't worry, I'm not gonna sue Disney, I laugh at those people :D

brownie
08-29-2010, 10:44 AM
I hope everyone makes a full recovery. I hope they find a better way to do this next time.

disneymajik
08-29-2010, 11:06 AM
You would think that Disney would come up with a better time of year to resurface a parking lot, August in Florida?? Unless it was in real disrepair that doesn't make much sense to me.

badkitty
08-29-2010, 12:43 PM
I wonder how it may have affected the animals and birds. Those fumes are nasty. I hope everyone is okay.

BellesRose
08-29-2010, 01:00 PM
It's not just Disney...Florida in general is known to make dumb decisions like this. Stuff like not doing any road work all summer, and then closing down 2 lanes the day school starts up.

MinnieMommie
08-29-2010, 04:21 PM
I hope all are well.