PDA

View Full Version : PA & DC Road Trip

luvdiznee
08-11-2010, 06:27 PM
So me and DD13 leave in a couple of weeks. Now, I have gotten the OK from 2 mechanics that my 10 year old Corolla w/90k miles will have no problems making the trek.

I guess since it will only be me, single mom and DD I just get a bit worried. Even to the point of getting a quote for a rental car ($213)) and even riding the train from NY-PA-DC and back ($480 for both rt). But I dont feel it would be much of a road trip under those circumstances.

So, besides having AAA (gotta check to see if it covers out of state) and definitely bringing a jumper with me and having one more once over on my car (oil change, tire rotate), any other tips. WWYD? Thanks:cool:Also, how do those quotes sound? I haven't taken the train, in like 20 years.

magicalmom
08-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Make sure your cell phone is charged. AAA should be fine wherever you are - we had no problem getting a tow when we hit a deer in Pennsylvania, even though we live in Maryland. Fill your tank when you're down to half, so if you break down but the engine stills runs, you'll have air conditioning for quite a while. Have drinking water in the car.

The train is fun, but you'll have more freedom if you have your car. If you do choose the train, and you can find a hotel that's near a Metro station, you can get on the Metro at Union Station, one level down from the trains.

Have a wonderful trip - I'm delighted to hear you're coming down to our area!

luvdiznee
08-12-2010, 06:51 AM
Make sure your cell phone is charged. AAA should be fine wherever you are - we had no problem getting a tow when we hit a deer in Pennsylvania, even though we live in Maryland. Fill your tank when you're down to half, so if you break down but the engine stills runs, you'll have air conditioning for quite a while. Have drinking water in the car.

The train is fun, but you'll have more freedom if you have your car. If you do choose the train, and you can find a hotel that's near a Metro station, you can get on the Metro at Union Station, one level down from the trains.

Have a wonderful trip - I'm delighted to hear you're coming down to our area!

Thank you so much for those tips. I figure with the train, too, it is not really much of a road trip. I do like that I would be in charge of when and where to stop. And I do plan to park the car once we get to DC.

Also glad we are coming down to your area. It is long overdue! :cool::marg: