PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 Ways to Beat the Heat

disneykid@hrt
08-09-2010, 11:53 PM
I am going in the summer for the first time in my adult life and I don't do well in heat. Not that I get ill, I just get cranky, I feel dirty, and it drains me.

I ordered a fan mister off of Amazon and it came today... It looks pretty effective. What are some other tips you have to beat the heat and humidity?? I am the type of person that needs a Plan A, Plan B, etc. :blush: so please share as many as you have!!

Scar
08-10-2010, 09:32 AM
1. Drink lots of water, more than you think.

2. Find shade as often as possible.

3. Wear a wide brim straw hat.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-10-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm the same way, me and the heat just don't get along.

Make sure you drink enough - I didn't do this one day, and ended up sitting on the ground crying that I wanted to go home!

My biggest tip is to walk inside whenever you can. If there is a store you can walk through, do it; you'll be surprised at how much inside, air-conditioning you can find (except at AK), which really helped me manage.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
08-10-2010, 10:21 AM
I agree with previous posts, but I always drink powerade. It replaces the electrolytes which are lost and are necessary to avoid dehydration. You can purchase packets and pour them in bottled water.

Hats are very important. I also use those "thingies" that you wear around your neck and dip in cold water.

When at the parks, stop in a few of the stores while walking around. A few minutes in air conditioning can make a big difference.

A mid day shower at the hotel does wonders also.

Have fun!! Stay hydrated!!

KAT1811
08-10-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm the same way, me and the heat just don't get along.

:ditto:

Yup, just don't like it at all!!!

The misitng fans are great! Many of the stands that sell them along the way will let you use some of their ice in the bins to fill your mister. It amazes me how spraying your legs can cool you off!

Like the PPs said drink lots and lots of water, I find that Dole Whip, ice cream, and popsicles also work nicely!!! ;)

I like to wear clothes that do not cling. Myself and my DDs often wear sundresses to combat the heat and DH wears linen and very airy fabrics as much as possible. Try wearing open shoes like flip flops or sandals if your feet can handle it. Feet closed up in sneakers may feel more comfortable but will quite often make you much warmer.

Like another PP said try to get inside as much as possible.

Good luck!!!

BigRedDad
08-10-2010, 12:24 PM
I had to say it, but avoiding the Summer heat is key for me.

There are several reasons for this: crowds, heat, and skin cancer. I cannot stand the crowds of Summer. The heat is only multiplied by the crowds. I have had skin cancer already and that extra heat makes it seem worse than other times of the year.

Wear clothes that can get wet.
Use the mister with cold water
Drink plenty of fluids. Understand that once the air is saturated, your sweat can no longer evaporate which can lead to heat stroke.
Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids (in other words, you need to be able to go #1 a couple times a day).
Walk through stores with AC and fans
Walk through the mist tents they have up
Get wet on rides or by them

#1donaldfan
08-10-2010, 12:57 PM
All good advice so far, but with all the drinking and slipping into AC stores, nothing is better than a rest in your room !!! Shower, take a swim, just slow down and relax for a while, then hit the parks again for continued fun !!:thumbsup:

faline
08-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Take a mid-day break back at your resort. Enjoy the pool; spend some time in your air-conditioned room; reshower; and then return to the parks in the early evening.

Do a table service lunch. This gets you into an air conditioned venue for about an hour.

Alternate outside shows and attractions with those that take place inside air-conditioned buildings.

Even if you're not thirsty, drink lots of water.

BluewaterBrad
08-10-2010, 01:55 PM
1. Drink lots of water, more than you think.

2. Find shade as often as possible.

3. Wear a wide brim straw hat.

Exactly!!!!!!!:mickey: