PDA

View Full Version : Which is better, Thanksgiving or week before Christmas

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-09-2010, 03:26 PM
After experiencing extremely high crowd volumes during Christmas week, we vowed never to visit at Christmas again....but...

We know we are going in 2011 and were looking at going Thanksgiving week, which would be Nov. 19 through Nov. 26, 2010(leaving on the 26th).

I started looking at December and noticed that school would be out the week before Christmas which would be Dec. 17th through Dec. 24 (leaving on 24th).

Which would be least crowded? Also, which would most likely be cheaper?

Opinions please.

Strmchsr
08-09-2010, 04:20 PM
They would be about the same. Thanksgiving is not too bad early in the week then insanely crowded Thanksgiving Day through Sunday. With the December dates it wouldn't be too bad Dec 17-20 then pick up considerably for Dec 21-24.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the info

buzznwoodysmom
08-09-2010, 05:28 PM
We've been twice (2007 & 2009) during Thanksgiving week and, although it did get busy the closer it got to Thanksgiving day, it was not at all what I would call insanly crowded. As a matter of fact both of those trips stand out as some of our best trips ever. In 2007 it did get busier than in 2009, and Epcot was packed the day after Thanksgiving, but it was still very, very managable. In 2009 we did not see heavy crowds at all during our stay and we were there for 12 nights. There were times it looked like a lot of people, parades and fireworks, especially after these events, but the lines were never long at all. I always hear people say how crazy Thanksgiving week is, but its not nearly as bad as its made out to seem. I think you'll enjoy that week.

valerie923
08-11-2010, 02:00 AM
We were there during Thanksgiving week in 2008 and it was not crowded at all! MK did get pretty packed the day before Thanksgiving and we just decided to stay away from there on Thanksgiving. We were very pleased at the crowd level for our whole trip. :thumbsup:

BigRedDad
08-11-2010, 08:15 AM
The weekend before Thanksgiving is not too bad. However, the closer it gets to Wednesday, the more crowded it gets. Thanksgiving is no less crowded than Christmas in my opinion. I would assume the week leading up to Christmas is the same way. It is less crowded at the beginning and getting extremely crowded towards the end.

Price wise, it will be the same. Both are Holiday seasons and will be the highest prices with little or no discounts.

buzznwoodysmom
08-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Price wise, it will be the same. Both are Holiday seasons and will be the highest prices with little or no discounts.

We've been twice at Thanksgiving and had great discounts both times. From what I remember the discounts for that time period ended a few days before Christmas, so if past discounts repeat there should be some discounts for Thanksgiving week. And I may be wrong, but I also think Christmas week rates are higher than Thanksgiving week. Or at least I think they were in the past.

sydzach
08-11-2010, 11:11 AM
I will be able to share with you how week of Thanksgiving 2010 is when I return. We will be spending November 20th-24th at the parks this year, leaving to come home on Thanksgiving day. I have heard a lot of different opinions on this time period but after my last experience, spring break '09, I honestly don't think it could be any worse than that. PACKED and HOT. I am happy to be going during a cooler period of time at least, so if I stand in lines but the temp is cooler, I will be happy. I live in Ga so I am used to the heat but Disney just seems hotter than normal-I welcome cooler temps for sure.

buzznwoodysmom
08-11-2010, 03:17 PM
To PP, you should be fine for Thanksgiving. I've watched crowds over lots of different periods and over the past several years I can remember reading about park closures due to capacity for Christmas, Easter week, and even 4th of July. However, I don't recall ever reading, at least in the past several years, about any closures during Thanksgiving week. In our experience its not been bad at all, as a matter of fact I think its our favorite time to visit WDW.

awaggett
08-11-2010, 04:16 PM
We did Christmas week--20th through 27th in 2007 and Thanksgiving week (Monday through Saturday) in 2009.

The days leading up to Christmas were okay, not too crowded and we were able to get a lot done. We skipped the parks on the 25th (huge rain storms). The 26th and 27th were packed--crazy packed. I think the days you propose would be fine.

Thanksgiving week was good, but the crowds were steady. We were able to do everything we wanted and found the parks to be very manageable. Even Thanksgiving Day in MK we rode everything we wanted--we were at the park by 11 (we are not morning folks!) and stayed until midnight (left for dinner at Poly). The weather was a bit nicer than in late December--so we got in more pool time.

I think either dates you propose would be good.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Well, the Disney site finally let me get quotes for both weeks...the week before Christmas would be about $200 cheaper for the package than Thanksgiving week....of course, they may announce discounts for that time sometimes later on.....if not we will go the week before Christmas