PDA

View Full Version : How much does rain shut down?

darthmacho
08-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Okay, I apologize if this is a rehashed topic, but the 10-day forecast looks rainy for the start of our vacation next week. Just so I'm mentally prepared, I was wondering if WDW comes grinding to a halt on a rainy day? When we travelled there in 98 and 99 there was a drought, and we were a little spoiled. :blush:

Of course, if there's a consistant rain, people will flock indoors, so I assume shops will be mobbed, and indoor rides/shows will be too, but what about the signature rides like Thunder and Everest and such? Do they automatically shut down in a driving rain, or only if there's lightning?
Also, what happens to parades, shows, and such?
I'm mainly concerned because we chose to go for 10 days so that we could fit everything in, but if it rains heavily for 7 of those days, it might be hard to do that. Alternative activities aren't easy to find as most of the good stuff is outdoors, such as swimming.
So, how does prolonged rain effect YOUR stay? :mickey:

Thanks! :mickey:

Mickey91
08-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Light rain usually does not close anything down. Parades and fireworks will delay for a bit before cancelling and usually don't cancel unless there is a complete downpour. I think the coasters are the same. I have ridden at least the Barnstormer in the rain. I think as long as the safety isn't compromised things go as planned. It actually clears people (those who melt:mickey:) out some and the lines are shorter.:mickey: Maybe it will make it cooler! :mickey:

MaxPower
08-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Lightning is a bigger concern to Disney management than the rain itself.

However, a driving rain will of course stop many outdoor attractions.

I personally love a stormy day at the parks in the summer - it can clear out a lot of the other people who go back to their hotels to wait it out. And that means shorter wait times.

Strmchsr
08-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Ignore those 10 day "fill-in-your-zip code" forecasts. They really are useless. The only rain you'll see right now would be 1.) A tropical system, which could shut everything down or 2.) A pop up afternoon thunderstorm, which can be very intense, but lasts 30-45 min tops. So, nothing to worry about. Check the forecast thread in the vacation planning forum.

darthmacho
08-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Ignore those 10 day "fill-in-your-zip code" forecasts. They really are useless. The only rain you'll see right now would be 1.) A tropical system, which could shut everything down or 2.) A pop up afternoon thunderstorm, which can be very intense, but lasts 30-45 min tops. So, nothing to worry about. Check the forecast thread in the vacation planning forum.

Of course what you say makes sense. Planners like me also tend to be worriers, that is, we worry that the carefully laid out plan will go awry. :doh:

Thank you for the practical reassurance. :whew:

Strmchsr
08-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Thank you for the practical reassurance. :whew:

No problem! Cold fronts and all day rains outside of tropical weather don't happen this time of the year in Florida. Obviously we can't control the tropics this time of the year, but outside of that you have nothing to worry about.

PinKy
08-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Brave the rain - bring a poncho!

(do watch out for the lightening though!)

Animal Kingdom - while not the best place to be when it rains - is a lovely spot to people watch while it rains.

BraddyB
08-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Why dont you want to swim in the rain? Afraid of getting Wet !!! :rotfl:

I'm sorry I couldnt pass it up. I know what you mean though about rain, we dodged alot when we were there on our honeymoon. Only thing that really bothered us was going to dinner. We were slightly wet and when you add air conditioning, it makes for a rather chilly dinner.

BrerGnat
08-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Provided that it's warm enough, swimming in the rain is one of my favorite things to do! I'm not a huge fan of bright sunlight while swimming (hard to keep sunglasses on), so when it's raining, I find it quite enjoyable to be swimming. The pools will only close if there is lightning strikes in the immediate area.

The majority of WDW stays open and operational during heavy rain, even the parades! So, have ponchos handy and continue to enjoy the parks if you are brave enough.

darthmacho
08-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Why dont you want to swim in the rain? Afraid of getting Wet !!! :rotfl:

I was thinking more about the lightning, but I see your point. :mickey:

Besides, nothing will deter my kids from the pool. I think they may be part mermaid.

Imagineer1981
08-09-2010, 04:57 PM
and maybe a change of shoes!!! wet feet at Disney can be very uncomfortable...and wet JORTS, but thats another topic :secret: he he

waymickey
08-09-2010, 05:13 PM
we got caught in a heavy downpour at MK last week that lasted over two hours. the only thing that shut down was the astro orbiter. We rode toy story spin 10 in a row and came off with a hand that looked like a claw. :) so much fun. We were amazed at how many people sat watching the rain instead of going on the rides and in to see shows. :confused:

darthmacho
08-09-2010, 06:55 PM
If the entire 10 were to be "rained out" so to speak, the one thing that I hope doesn't get cancelled is the MSEP! If that's all I see, it would be worth the trip! :mickey: (Okay, maybe not just that.)

SandmanGStefani24
08-09-2010, 07:20 PM
we rode Thunder Mntn in the rain last trip! Talk about fun! You almost forgot it was raining until you got nailed in the face with a huge rain drop. It's gotta be a hard downpour before things stop, and even then it rarely lasts very long. Many attractions are inside and shops and restaurants are good places to wait it out. you just might find something really cool too! Take it as it comes, but you neednt worry...WDW was built with the elements in mind...well, maybe not the heat!

BigRedDad
08-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Rain stops very little at WDW. It is the thunder and lightening that stop attractions. In my experience, it was best just tromping through the rain and hopping on ride after ride with no lines.

crltkcagle
08-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Rain does stop alot at HS thought. On our last trip there was a downpour and Indiana Jones, and Beauty and the Beast were both cancelled due to the rain. Backlot was closed also. The afternoon parade of course was also cancelled along with Fantasmic that night. I think this is the only park that really stinks to be stuck in the rain in. Not much to do.

Zawadi
08-10-2010, 04:41 AM
Parades will only stop if there is a health and safety issue for the performers - particularly slipping on wet surfaces. However, personally I wouldn't like to get soaked whilst wearing one of the character costumes.

As for the rides most will go on for as long as they can. We were the last car out on Test Track in a down pour before it was shut down. Rain at 60 mph hurts and is very wet :)

BraddyB's quote: Why dont you want to swim in the rain? Afraid of getting Wet !!!
Is true at the water parks which only stop if a Thunderstorm is nearby.

TikiLounger
08-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Ponchos! I don't know if it's just me but it's kind of fun to walk around the parks while it's raining.

BigThunderFan
08-10-2010, 12:21 PM
One of my favorite memories from our last trip was DS & I sitting in the hot tub at Wilderness Lodge in the rain one night. It was a COLD rain but the hot tub felt so good! It was also very neat to look up at the lodge and you could really picture it in the stormy northwest!

Mary Poppins fan
08-11-2010, 02:36 PM
We're heading down next week too! Most of the rain we've encountered this time of year has been the afternoon thunderstorms. In fact, a couple of years ago everytime my DS(now 16) went out on one of the boats at the Poly, the storms would start. It got so bad that by the end of the week the CMs at the marina would bet him whether he would make 5 minutes out on the lake before he had to come back in! :D

Just grab your ponchos and head on out!

badkitty
08-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Ponchos! I don't know if it's just me but it's kind of fun to walk around the parks while it's raining.

I'm with you. :D

Besides, surrounding myself in plastic in the FL heat and humidity is not very pleasant. Yuk.