PDA

View Full Version : Tropical weather question...

marlyn
08-06-2010, 02:03 PM
I was just wondering if some of you locals could help me out. We don't have tropical storms or hurricanes here is Western Canada (earthquakes and tidal waves are our thing).

What should I expect for the end of August? When you say there are thunderstorms every day, does that mean it rains for hours? Or is it more of a 15 minute downpour? I understand the humidity will be significant, but should I be expecting major rainfall?

Strmchsr
08-06-2010, 03:13 PM
The thunderstorms that happen in the afternoon are known as "sea breeze" thunderstorms. Due to day time heating and the difference in heating between ocean and land on both sides of Florida a "battle zone" sets up that creates pop up thunderstorms every afternoon. You'll have about a 1 in 3 chance of seeing one each day and when it does move over you'll have very heavy rain and vivid lightning, but it lasts less than an hour, tops.

As for the tropical storms/hurricanes, there's no way to say what to except right now. That's too far off. We are now entering peak hurricane season, and all the ingredients are in place for a very active next couple of months, but that doesn't mean WDW will have any impact. Just check the weather thread and I'll keep you updated as to what is brewing at any given moment.

BigThunderFan
08-06-2010, 03:22 PM
I understand the humidity will be significant,

HAHAHA!! I want to hear how you describe the humidity when you get back home... Most days the moment you open your hotel door it is like you just stepped out of the shower all over again. You can cut the humidity with a butter knife.

darthmacho
08-06-2010, 06:56 PM
HAHAHA!! I want to hear how you describe the humidity when you get back home... Most days the moment you open your hotel door it is like you just stepped out of the shower all over again. You can cut the humidity with a butter knife.

But it's a dry humidity...right? :mickey:

marlyn
08-06-2010, 09:07 PM

Alrighty then....packing lots of hair ties, extra clothes and deodorant ;)

Strmchsr
08-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Alrighty then....packing lots of hair ties, extra clothes and deodorant ;)

Good plan. Though you'll probably need to apply the deodorant a couple of times a day. The humidity truly is miserable if you're not used to it. The main thing to keep in mind is that when it's this hot and humid there is so much moisture in the atmosphere that sweat can no longer evaporate off your body. Since that's your body's cooling mechanism that means your body can no longer cool itself. That can lead to heat stroke/exhaustion in a hurry. So, make sure you drink LOTS of water and take frequent indoor breaks to give yourself a chance to cool off. Even those of us used to the heat and humidity can only take it for so long.

BigRedDad
08-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Also, in those hot days, utilize the misting tents. I believe many places in the parks have a tent over the walkway that blows cool mist on you. It is a great way to cool off. As Stormchaser said, drink lots of fluids. The normal person needs about 64-96 ozs of water a day. In that heat and humidity, it may be even more. One thing to keep an eye on is how many times you are going #1 (sorry, easiest way to say it) during the day. Not going often is a sign of dehydration.

NewDVCowner
08-07-2010, 01:30 PM
One thing that helps with dehydration, also, is eatting something when you drink water. When I've done major hikes before in the heat (Arizona, so a dry heat rather than a wet one) they recommended having some trail mix or dry fruit every time you drink water. I was honetly surprised how much better I felt when I did it. You're not just losing water, you're losing electrolites, too, so you need something to replace them otherwise you could end up with water intoxication.

marlyn
08-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Thank you for all the tips! When we were there in March, my boys complained about how cool it was!:freeze: So I will just remind them of that whenever they mention the heat!:fan: If all else fails we will hit the pool!:swim:

magicofdisney
08-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Also, in those hot days, utilize the misting tents. I believe many places in the parks have a tent over the walkway that blows cool mist on you. It is a great way to cool off. As Stormchaser said, drink lots of fluids. The normal person needs about 64-96 ozs of water a day. In that heat and humidity, it may be even more. One thing to keep an eye on is how many times you are going #1 (sorry, easiest way to say it) during the day. Not going often is a sign of dehydration.

I love those misters when a fan is blowing the air and I'm surprised they even offer them without a fan (Epcot comes to mind, over by Mission Space). Those are useless. It's like raining while swimming.

faline
08-07-2010, 05:08 PM
We got back less than a week ago. The humidity and heat were even more intense this year. Even those who live in Florida were complaining about it.

Some tips:
1. Plan to be at the park early in the morning. Leave the park mid-day to go back to your resort for some air conditioned time in your room or for some fun time at the pool. Return to the parks in the evening when things are cooler - even if only slightly so.
2. Try to plan a table service meal for lunch time. This will put you into an air conditioned location for at least an hour and will give you some time to regroup.
3. Bring water with you. Drink it even if you don't feel thirsty. Continue to drink it throughout the day.
4. If you're doing outdoor rides and attractions, alternate with indoor rides and attractions that offer air conditioned spaces.
5. Don't rush! Move more slowly. You'll get there. Rushing will just make you hotter and wetter!

magicalmom
08-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Polar Breeze bandanas. They contain crystals, you wet them, and the crystals hold water, you tie the bandana around your neck, which keeps the cool part against your jugular veins and carotid arteries, keeping your whole self cool. You can also wet them the night before you need them, and store them in the fridge. They're great!!

There's a facebook special through the end of August. They also have a clearance section. You can Google them to get the website. I seriously recommend these for keeping cool in the Florida summers.

Please, mods, edit this as you need to.

diz_girl
08-09-2010, 04:36 PM
If there aren't thunderstorms at WDW every day in the summer, then there is one somewhere in central Florida. I just call them the 3 o'clock thunderstorms, because that is when the gerneraly hit.

As for hurricanes, whether Florida gets hit usually depends on the Bermuda High. Where the edge of the Bermuda High is located can determine the path that the hurricane takes. The last year that there was a big Bermuda High was 2004 (I think) and that was a bad year for hurricanes hitting Florida (Ivan, Jeanne, Frances, Charley). The edge of the Bermuda High was just east of FL and the hurricanes just tracked along the edge of it into FL. I don't know how strong or weak the Bermuda High will be in late August, since it can shift. But 2010 was predicted to be a weaker year, which means hurricanes track to the northeast and into the Carribean, including Florida and the western Gulf coast.

Also, since El Nino was last year, suppressing Atlantic and Caribbean hurricanes, and ended recently, it makes this year the La Nina year, which creates a warmer Atlantic Basin and more active hurricane season overall. A La Nina year means that the upper-level atmosphere wind shear that suppresses hurricane formation and weakens hurricanes is pretty much gone.

Surface temperatures are warmer this year than in the past, since it is not an El Nino year. That gives more fuel to hurricane formation and strengthening.

There have already been three names storms this year, including one hurricane. Hurricane Alex was in the western Caribbean, while TS Bonnie grazed the southern tip of FL and Colin stayed out to sea and tracked north into the Atlantic.

But if a hurricane were to hit WDW while you were there, you are in the safest place in central FL.

Strmchsr
08-09-2010, 04:55 PM
But 2010 was predicted to be a weaker year, which means hurricanes track to the northeast and into the Carribean, including Florida and the western Gulf coast...A La Nina year means that the upper-level atmosphere wind shear that suppresses hurricane formation and weakens hurricanes is pretty much gone. Surface temperatures are warmer this year than in the past, since it is not an El Nino year. That gives more fuel to hurricane formation and strengthening.

The Bermuda High this year has actually been incredibly strong and persistent, which is why we haven't seen the normal afternoon sea breeze thunderstorms over Florida this summer (or, actually, many fewer than normal) and why the entire south and much of the east coast has been baking.

While we do have a La Nina in place right now, the current tropical season is a good bit behind forecast mostly due to a strong wind blowing over the Sahara Desert which has put a lot of sand into the atmosphere and has messed with storm formation. Also, the upper air wind shear, which was supposed to be light this summer, has been incredibly strong. Another reason we've only seen a couple of weak storms up to this point. All of that, however, looks like it might change within the next couple of weeks.

diz_girl
08-09-2010, 05:19 PM
The Bermuda High this year has actually been incredibly strong and persistent, which is why we haven't seen the normal afternoon sea breeze thunderstorms over Florida this summer (or, actually, many fewer than normal) and why the entire south and much of the east coast has been baking.

While we do have a La Nina in place right now, the current tropical season is a good bit behind forecast mostly due to a strong wind blowing over the Sahara Desert which has put a lot of sand into the atmosphere and has messed with storm formation. Also, the upper air wind shear, which was supposed to be light this summer, has been incredibly strong. Another reason we've only seen a couple of weak storms up to this point. All of that, however, looks like it might change within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the clarification. Most of what I put in my post was what was predicted for the year, and, as you mentioned, some things haven't worked out as predicted.

I heard about the Sahara dust too, but I couldn't really figure out how to explain it.

marlyn
08-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Some of this is too technical for me, although my son wishes to be a meteorologist so I will get his to check out your posts.

What I am taking from this is basically that it is going to be bloody hot and I am going to be sweating pretty much 24/7 right? ;) We get to see some cool storms but it won't rain all day.

If I start to complain, I will recall my chilly March trip! LOL

Strmchsr
08-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Some of this is too technical for me, although my son wishes to be a meteorologist so I will get his to check out your posts. What I am taking from this is basically that it is going to be bloody hot and I am going to be sweating pretty much 24/7 right? ;) We get to see some cool storms but it won't rain all day.

Sorry about any technical stuff. The bad part about having a degree in meteorology is that when any comments about weather are made I go crazy. I fit Bill Murry's character in "Groundhog Day": "Did you want to talk about the weather or were you just making conversation?" :D

Yes, your forecast is pretty spot on. Very hot. Very humid. Sweating 24/7 is a definite likelihood, especially for someone who comes from a place that doesn't experience this kind of heat and humidity. The bad part about the rain is that it does cool things off a few degrees, but it sends the humidity even higher so afterward it feels like you're walking through a sauna.

marlyn
08-10-2010, 10:21 AM
The bad part about the rain is that it does cool things off a few degrees, but it sends the humidity even higher so afterward it feels like you're walking through a sauna.

Oh goody...