PDA

View Full Version : Phone billing scam - "Cramming"

TheVBs
08-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Just wanted to spread the word on a scam we nearly fell victim too recently. I noticed a charge on our phone bill for $15.85. It wasn't in the itemized section but off to the side with only two words next to it. Turns out this was the name of a company (one of it's many names I found out) that practices the fraudulent act of "cramming". Our phone service provider immediately removed the charge, I had them put a 3rd party billing block on our account (didn't know before this that a 3rd party could even do this!!!). I filed complaints with the BBB, FTC, FCC, Public Utilities Commission, our state representatives and our state's attorney general. Yeah, I didn't take this well. Just wanted to share the experience in the hopes that it will prevent it from happening to someone else!

vicster
08-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the heads up. What state are you in?

TheVBs
08-06-2010, 03:16 PM
No problem! We're in Michigan, but it's happening all over the country. Apparently, depending on what state you're in and what phone service you're using, the company name that shows up on your bill could be one of several that they're using. But, the phone number for all of them is exactly the same.

AHOTE
08-06-2010, 10:51 PM
This is a little off topic :offtopic: but in the same vein. Watch your credit card bills for a listing "Passport to Fun" or something similar. They charge anywhere from $5.95 to as much as $24.95 per month for a non existant service. They start low and hope that you either miss it or you get used to seeing the name and charge. I caught this quickly as the card they put it on is only used at WDW. The card company couldn't tell me how they got my card information in the first place. Hope this too can help someone.

TheVBs
08-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Thank you for that tip! I will keep an eye out for that.

mdhiggin
08-08-2010, 05:34 PM
We had the same thing happen to us with our phone bill. It had been on there for over a year. Anyway, after a few calls, it was all credited back, over $200.

magicofdisney
08-08-2010, 06:19 PM
What exactly are they doing? I don't understand how they can just "charge" your cellphone. For what are they charging?

I practice vigilance with my cc bills. I didn't know I needed to double check my phone bills also. This just stinks. On a side note, I've heard you should never offer your cellphone number online because it can be used for charges. I guess this is what they were referring too.

TheVBs
08-08-2010, 06:53 PM
This charge was on our regular landline service at home. Not that it wouldn't be just as bad if it showed up on my cell phone bill, but I just wanted to clarify.

I don't know exactly how they do it, but they describe their service as a "reverse 911", which weirdly, they describe as some sort of message service. They say you leave some sort of voice mail message with them to be delivered to another phone number and they keep trying until it goes through.

It's all a fabrication. This is nothing but a scam. I'm really hoping I hear back from the Attorney General on this. I know it's naive to believe I will, but I would like to see these people charged with the crime they actually attempted to commit.

magicofdisney
08-08-2010, 07:39 PM
OK. Thanks for that clarification. I guess because I was remembering the info about not giving out the cellphone number for similar reasons, that's why I was thinking that.

mdhiggin
08-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Mine was a landline too. I didn't pay much attention to it for awhile because I had an electronic bill and had to go online to look through it. I think mine was called The Billing Resource. I was told that it was a service they offered on the internet for $1000 worth of coupons. Someone apparently signed up for it using my phone number but a different name. I'm not sure why the phone company allowed that.