PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon Lagoon Shark Reef

xo0ally
08-04-2010, 10:18 PM
I am mildly afraid of sharks and want to try the snorkling with the sharks but think i'll get to scared in the water and panic. Has any one been and what is it like? Do you think I should skip this since i may panic in the water?

magicalmom
08-04-2010, 11:27 PM
You're snorkling across the pool, and the sharks are below you. They aren't hungry, and aren't interested in you at all. There are floatation vests available, so all you have to worry about is gently kicking your feet to propel yourself across. I'm a big chicken, and I thought the only hard thing was not bumping into other snorklers.

cather74
08-05-2010, 09:26 AM
:shark::swim:It's not scary at all. Plus it's over before it begins. The sharks really do have no interest in you and swin under you. It's like being on the top of an aquarium. You'll enjoy it a lot. I thinks just saying "swim with sharks" is scarier.:mickey:

Eric87
08-05-2010, 11:02 AM
I want to say the tank is about 10 feet deep or so and the "sharks" are on the bottom half. They aren't very intimidating as they are much smaller than you think and are very mild mannered. My wife was so nervous that she stepped in the water and about had a panic attack and wanted to get out. She calmed down and had no problem swimmimg across without any incident. I on the otherhand enjoyed it and was having a harder time dealing with the cold water. You should definitely do it.

dobby2010
08-05-2010, 12:16 PM
I'll admit to panicking a little when I did it years ago (I was 12 or so at the time). The lifequards in the water were very nice and swam with me to the exit. Looking back, I would do it again (although the water is freezing!). Plus it's cool to say you've swam with sharks.

kemps@wdw
08-05-2010, 10:30 PM
If you think you'll panic, then by all means skip it. I, for one, really liked it and will do it again when we go back to TL. It's not a very long swim, just across the pool. As you slowly snorkel across the top, all the marine life is beneath you. I never came within touching distance of anything. The water is very cold, but you get used to it. You'll get a quick lesson, and off you go. My DH and DD had a little issue w/the snorkel, so they didn't really enjoy it as much as I did. I also took a water camera and got some good pics!

kemps@wdw
08-05-2010, 10:37 PM
If you think you'll panic, then by all means skip it. I, for one, really liked it and will do it again when we go back to TL. It's not a very long swim, just across the pool. As you slowly snorkel across the top, all the marine life is beneath you. I never came within touching distance of anything. The water is very cold, but you get used to it. You'll get a quick lesson, and off you go. My DH and DD had a little issue w/the snorkel, so they didn't really enjoy it as much as I did. I also took a water camera and got some good pics!

PlutoPlanet
08-06-2010, 11:52 AM
The sharks are small and well below you. It's fun and cool in the heat of the day.

diz_girl
08-06-2010, 01:05 PM
I never came within touching distance of anything.

This may have changed since the last time I was at TL, but when I went they had rays. One memorably swam up onto the ledge that you step on just before/after you swim across. Some oblivious mother was fawning over her child so much that she didn't notice that her child was about to step on a ray. The ray was about 2' wide, so it's not like it was some tiny thing that was easy to overlook. Oblivious is a strong word, but fitting in this case.

I don't mean to scare you with the story, the rays are harmless.

Figment1988
08-07-2010, 04:41 PM
to be honest, the other posters are right. the sharks are often harmless, and are mostly benthic (in simple terms, they often stay at the bottom of the aquarium). the two things one should worry about is the cold water (which one can get used to quickly) and the standard issued facemask and snorkel (which takes some time to work with). In regards of the snorkel and mask, if it helps, you can bring your own mask (provided that the lenses are made of tempered glass) and snorkel.

sneezyone
08-30-2010, 03:35 PM
this is just my experience....I have asthma, and while I wanted to do this in the absolute worst way, the water was too cold for me and it triggered a mild attack of my asthma.

I was disappointed that I couldn't make it across so my suggestion is to see if you can tolerate the cold before swimming out.

i am going to try again...now that I can take my meds before hand and give it another go.