PDA

View Full Version : Ticket prices going up Thursday, August 5th.

Tekneek
08-03-2010, 05:22 PM
The price of a one-day Magic Your Way base ticket for adults will increase from $79 to $82.

I have not yet broken the rest down, but the information is posted at the Disney Parks blog.

More breakdowns now...

Adult 1 day up from $79 to $82.
Kid 1 day up from $68 to $74.
Base 10-day MYW Adult is going up from $24.30/day to $26.20/day.
Base 10-day MYW Kid is going up from $21/day to $23.90/day.

Park hopper option goes up from $52 to $54.

Adult AP goes up from $488 to $499.
Kid AP goes up from $432 to $450.
Adult Premium AP goes up from $619 to $629.
Kid Premium AP goes up from $546 to $567.

Ian
08-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Interesting choice ... a 2.5% - 5% cost increase in one of the worst economies in history ....

DizneyRox
08-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Interesting choice ... a 2.5% - 5% cost increase in one of the worst economies in history ....
I noticed you didn't say you were surprised though... Interesting... ;)

Ian
08-03-2010, 07:40 PM
I would have been surprised if they didn't raise prices.

In fact, I'm somewhat surprised they didn't raise prices more.

DizneyRox
08-03-2010, 07:47 PM
All that's left is the official word on the DDP changes for 2011...

PopPhan
08-03-2010, 08:18 PM
All that's left is the official word on the DDP changes for 2011...

I don't know about that...What about Room Price Increases?

Ed
08-04-2010, 06:36 AM
Here's the full article ~~

Walt Disney World is raising ticket prices once again, despite a still-weak economy that has the resort continuing to use discounts to lure travelers.

Disney announced Tuesday that it will raise the price of a one-day, one-park adult ticket to $82 — the first time any of Orlando’s theme-park resorts has charged more than $80 for a base ticket. It amounts to a 3.8 percent increase from the current $79 charge.

The resort will also hike prices for multiday-ticket packages, which it sells in far greater volume than single-day tickets. It will tack another $2 — from $52 to $54 — to price of adding a “park hopper” feature to base tickets allowing visits to multiple Disney theme parks in one day. And it will increase annual pass prices, too.

The new prices go into effect Thursday.

“We continuously monitor the marketplace to ensure pricing that reflects a strong entertainment value,” Disney World spokesman Bryan Malenius said. “Our guests continue to agree that a day at a Disney theme park is a great entertainment value.”

Malenius said Disney’s guest surveys have continued to show that nearly 90 percent of resort guests rate the value of Disney parks as “good, very good or excellent.”

Disney typically raises ticket price each year near the beginning of August. And while this year’s round of increases are smaller than last year’s for some shorter ticket packages, they are steeper than a year ago for the more-frequently sold packages of four days or longer.

For instance, the price of a five-day park hopper — one of Disney’s most popular ticket options — will rise from $280 to $291, an increase of 3.9 percent. The same ticket rose just 2.9 percent last year.

Disney’s move could trigger a round of similar increases at Universal Orlando and SeaWorld Orlando. The theme-park rivals have traditionally raised prices in lockstep together, though neither announced increases Tuesday.

“We’re not going to talk about our pricing strategies,” Universal spokesman Tom Schroder said.

“At this time, we have no plans to increase prices at SeaWorld,” added SeaWorld spokesman Nick Gollattscheck. “We run our business plan independently from the other theme parks.”

Below are the increases Disney is making to base ticket prices:

1-day: $79 to $82 (+3.8%)
2-day: $156 to $162 (+3.8%)
3-day: $219 to $224 (+2.3%)
4-day: $225 to $232 (+3.1%)
5-day: $228 to $237 (+3.9%)
6-day: $231 to $242 (+4.8%)
7-day: $234 to $247 (+5.6%)

To add “park hopper” or water-park admission to base ticket: $52 to $54 (+3.8%)

Annual pass increases:

Premium (incl. water parks, etc.), non-resident: $619 to $629 (+1.6%)
Regular, non-resident: $489 to $499 (+2%)
Premium, Florida resident: $489 to $499 (+2%)
Regular, Florida resident: $369 to $379 (+2.7%)
Seasonal, Florida resident: $249 to $259 (+4%)

DizneyRox
08-04-2010, 06:51 AM
I don't know about that...What about Room Price Increases?
I swear I thought I saw a post about those... I don't pay for room, so I don't pay attention. Hmmmm

mickeyman42
08-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Here's the full article ~~
“We continuously monitor the marketplace to ensure pricing that reflects a strong entertainment value,” Disney World spokesman Bryan Malenius said. “Our guests continue to agree that a day at a Disney theme park is a great entertainment value.”

Malenius said Disney’s guest surveys have continued to show that nearly 90 percent of resort guests rate the value of Disney parks as “good, very good or excellent.”

so I guess we all need to start saying that disney is over-priced and of poor value in order to keep ticket prices from skyrocketing.

DizneyRox
08-04-2010, 09:38 AM
HOLD THE TRAINS!

I saw this on msnbc.com near the middle of the article...

Tickets bought through Wednesday at the old price will be honored through Jan. 3.

Huh? Really, they are going to start requiring upgrades on tickets bought before the price increases?

Did I miss something?!

Here's the entire text, again from msnbc dot com

Disney theme parks to raise prices Thursday
Fla., Calif. resorts will honor admission tickets sold at old price until Jan. 3

Getting into a Disney theme park will take a little more magic beginning Thursday.

Ticket prices are going up at Walt Disney World in Florida and Disneyland Resort in California.

The company announced the changes Tuesday on its blog.

The cost of a one-day adult ticket price at Walt Disney World will raise to $82, up $3 from $79. The new six-day pass will be $242, or $40.33 a day, up from $38.50 a day. Park Hopper add-ons will be $54, up from $52.

At Disneyland, the base price is going up to $76 from $72. Savings and discounts are available in a variety of packages. A one-day Park Hopper pass will be $101, up from $97. A six-day Park Hopper ticket, for example, will be $256, bringing the average one-day visit down to $42.67. A six-day Park Hopper pass through Wednesday is $254, but online and other discounts are available.

Parking at Disneyland Resort is also going up a dollar and will be $15 a day.

Tickets bought through Wednesday at the old price will be honored through Jan. 3.

'Strong entertainment value'
The Orange County Register said that Disneyland increased its price last August by $3. The California resort has increased its prices annually between $2 and $7 over the past decade.

“We continuously monitor the marketplace to ensure pricing that reflects a strong entertainment value,” said Suzi Brown, a Disneyland Resort spokeswoman. “When you compare a Disney park to a concert or professional sporting event, we offer a great value and a full day of world-class entertainment.”

Theme parks and resorts represented $10.7 billion, or 29 percent, of Disney's $36.1 billion of revenue in fiscal 2009, according to the company's annual report.

Theme park revenue in 2009 was down about $837 million, or nearly 7 percent, from 2008 after growing the previous three years.

laprana
08-04-2010, 09:42 AM
HOLD THE TRAINS!

Huh? Really, they are going to start requiring upgrades on tickets bought before the price increases?

Did I miss something?!

That would be a really big change and would have a huge impact on people who buy multiple tickets at a time to stock up for future trips! I hope that isn't accurate, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

Has there been any word on the renewal prices for APs and PAPs? Or anything about the DVC discount for APs?

brownie
08-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Will this affect existing packages that aren't paid in full yet?

PopPhan
08-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Will this affect existing packages that aren't paid in full yet?

From the sound of the article, if your trip occurs ON OR AFTER January 3rd., 2011, you will need to pay the difference in price - probably as an adjustment to your outstanding balance.

Guess they got tired of those people who would stock up on tickets before the increases took effect.....

diz_girl
08-04-2010, 10:40 AM

Actually, the child's 1-day ticket price increased by 8.8% (from 68 to 74). So that's an almost 10% increase. Actually, all of the child prices had a greater percentage (and dollar) increase than the adult prices. It makes me wonder if they're trying to close the gap between adult and child prices and charge everyone the same price in a few years.

I'm just happy that I bought my 10-day non-expiring hoppers two years ago and still have 5 days left on them for my November trip. I just need to shell out a little more for passes for DS3.

Tekneek
08-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Definitely not going back before 2013 as of right now, but it will be interesting to see where this gets them.

mickeyman42
08-04-2010, 12:02 PM
you have to love the strategy of "lets increase the prices because our customers are too happy with what they are getting for their dollar."

Donald Duck
08-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Right now I have room only reservations for December.

I was planning on getting length of stay passes for us. So now I would either have to but my passes now or convert my reservation to a package with passes in order to get the current prices correct ?

I don't want to buy the passes now, just in case we don't go in december for whatever reason.

If I convert to a package, I have to pay in full before going.

Any recommendations ?

:mickey:

MidnTPK
08-04-2010, 01:50 PM
HOLD THE TRAINS!

Did I miss something?!

From the sound of the article, if your trip occurs ON OR AFTER January 3rd., 2011, you will need to pay the difference in price - probably as an adjustment to your outstanding balance.

Guess they got tired of those people who would stock up on tickets before the increases took effect.....
Disney has not yet announced/made available anything but room-only reservations for 2011. So anybody that has a 2011 reservation doesn't have tickets included anyway.

I also think the reporter misinterpreted the January 3 date.....Disney will probably be honoring the old prices for booked, but not fully-paid, packages. Since nobody has 2011 ticket-inclusive packages anyway, this is a moot point.

Also, for people who have tickets they bought on old trips: Disney can't unilaterally change the terms of a purchase after the purchase has been made. So if you have a non-expiring or completely unused ticket (that does not have a ticking clock until it's first use), they can't require you to upgrade....they have to honor the terms/entitlements in effect when you bought the ticket.

Now if this was a significant but poorly communicated change to the way people buy tickets (meaning a clock will start ticking the day you buy a ticket), it was not made clear in the article.

MidnTPK
08-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Okay, I just looked closely at the announcement on the Disney parks blog. there's no mention of a change in the expiration policy. It still says:

No expiration means unused admissions on a ticket have no expiration date. All tickets expire 14 days after first use unless No Expiration is purchased.
The important part being the 'first use' - you can still buy tickets today and use them any time you want in the future. They won't expire until 14 days after the ticket is used for something.

Putting this all together, that article still implies there's a question of whether the tickets that were purchased before the price increase was implemented, but after they were announced, have an additional condition on them that requires that they be used by January 3rd. My money is on the reporter confusing when most 2010 ticket inclusive pages are being honored through. So people who check in after Christmas and have a package booked a few days into 2011 will still get the old 2010 price.

Bethis26fan
08-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Does that mean we can book our 2011 packages tomorrow?

DisneyWFan
08-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Okay, I just looked closely at the announcement on the Disney parks blog. there's no mention of a change in the expiration policy. It still says:

The important part being the 'first use' - you can still buy tickets today and use them any time you want in the future. They won't expire until 14 days after the ticket is used for something.

Putting this all together, that article still implies there's a question of whether the tickets that were purchased before the price increase was implemented, but after they were announced, have an additional condition on them that requires that they be used by January 3rd. My money is on the reporter confusing when most 2010 ticket inclusive pages are being honored through. So people who check in after Christmas and have a package booked a few days into 2011 will still get the old 2010 price.

The reporter is confusing the difference between WDW tickets and DL tickets

2010 DL tickets have to be used by Jan 3rd there is no such stipulation on WDW tickets...... YET:plot:

MidnTPK
08-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Does that mean we can book our 2011 packages tomorrow?
The announcements don't address that.

I'm sure we'll see 2011 vacation package details announced soon, now that ticket prices are set.

Have they even announced 2011 room rates yet? My understanding was that you could hold a 2011 date with a deposit, but that deposit just holds the dates...not any guarantee of prices.

MidnTPK
08-04-2010, 03:39 PM
The reporter is confusing the difference between WDW tickets and DL tickets

2010 DL tickets have to be used by Jan 3rd there is no such stipulation on WDW tickets...... YET:plot:
Interesting....

So DL tickets have to be used before a specified time after purchase, or they expire? Is this a new thing for DL or has it always been the case?

BellesRose
08-04-2010, 08:14 PM
I can't believe it's going to cost $15 to park now. :down:

Bethis26fan
08-04-2010, 08:29 PM
I can't believe it's going to cost $15 to park now. :down:

wow poor people that can't stay on property

BellesRose
08-04-2010, 10:14 PM
wow poor people that can't stay on property
Actually I go once or twice a month because I live close. When you count parking for about 20 times a year, that's an additional $300. I do stay on property every now and then, and I still end up paying more than I would if I stayed at the Gaylord or the Omni, even if you include the parking.

I hate to complain because I love Disney, but just think of what the prices will be in 10 years from now. I sure won't be able to go, nor would I want to even if I had the money. I might as well get used to not going now and keep the good memories close to heart before I encounter bigger disappointments.

DizneyRox
08-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Actually I go once or twice a month because I live close. When you count parking for about 20 times a year, that's an additional $300.
You might want to think about the AP that includes parking (I'm assuming that you may have the Fl Resident that doesn't). Upgrading to the full blown pass WITH parking and WITHOUT blackout dates might actually be a better deal.

BellesRose
08-04-2010, 11:22 PM
You might want to think about the AP that includes parking (I'm assuming that you may have the Fl Resident that doesn't). Upgrading to the full blown pass WITH parking and WITHOUT blackout dates might actually be a better deal.
If it were just a couple dollars more, I might consider it for the parking option...but I don't go in the summer because of the heat, so I've never been tempted to upgrade it before. I'm actually just thinking about not renewing my pass next year and going for special events only. I prefer NOJ and MNSSHP anyways :thumbsup:

DizneyRox
08-05-2010, 07:20 AM
Regular Annual Pass: $520.79
Fl Seasonal + $300 parking: $565.19
Fl Annual Pass includes parking: $392.99

If those numbers are right, and you really are paying $300 in parking, you can get the Fl Annual Pass for less than $100!

Scar
08-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Regular Annual Pass: $520.79
Fl Seasonal + $300 parking: $565.19
Fl Annual Pass includes parking: $392.99

If those numbers are right, and you really are paying $300 in parking, you can get the Fl Annual Pass for less than $100!Not if there's more than one AP holder in the car.

DizneyRox
08-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Not if there's more than one AP holder in the car.
Only one person would need the pass that allowed free parking. If they truly don't need the extra days the "normal" APs provide and you're just getting it to cover parking, no need for everyone to get it.

We used to get one AP for the family and everyone else would get normal tickets. Used the AP to get AP discounted rooms and whatever other perks that were there. Now it actually cheaper for us to just get everyone an AP with the DVC discount, we use it for admission only anyway.

Depends on what you're looking for... Point is, you need to run the numbers on almost all combinations to find the best one. The AP is often left out, since for some reason people think they HAVE to go for a lot of days to make it worth it, many times, not true...

Mickey91
08-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Depends on what you're looking for... Point is, you need to run the numbers on almost all combinations to find the best one. The AP is often left out, since for some reason people think they HAVE to go for a lot of days to make it worth it, many times, not true...
So true. We are considering APs for our family this year as we believe our next vacation, though in 2011 may actually be within the 12 months an AP covers. Our biggest draw back is having the extra $$ now instead of later. But it is cheaper than buying 4 more 4day passes. Plus we night would use it for a few weekend trips if we had it. Which is why I really think Disney is cutting their own throats with the annual price increases/decline in services. Every time they go up, they cut more people from buying a ticket. Or, we still buy the park ticket but don't buy any merchandise. I have said for years that I have x amount of dollars to spend on our trip. If the resort and park tickets take up most of that budget, then I won't be buying as much food or souvenirs. And if they price me out completely, then I definitely won't be there to buy souvenirs. Or, I will find less expensive accommodations off site and start bringing my own food in. With the profits from the parks declining in 2009 from previous years, you would think Disney would find a new formula. The current one, take as much $$$ for as little as possible, is not working! People feel the decline in service and goods and just aren't willing to spend big $$ and get less. If Disney had kept up their standard in both park cleanliness/resort upkeep and guest services, I don't think the current economy would be hurting them as much and people wouldn't be balking at the yearly increases.

John
08-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Friday, August 6, 2010, 4:34pm EDT | Modified: Friday, August 6, 2010, 4:45pm

Universal matches Disney price increase

Orlando Business Journal

Universal Orlando announced Aug. 6 that it is raising its one-day, one-park admission to $82 from $79, just a day after theme park-competitor Walt Disney World raised its prices on Aug.5.

In addition, many of the park’s other ticket options have received a $5 increase, except for the two-day, park-to-park ticket, which remains unchanged at $145. The Florida resident online specials remain unchanged. All price changes are effective Aug. 7.

The company’s goal is to continue to deliver high-end entertainment at a great value, “while keeping an eye on the marketplace,” said Tom Schroder, a Universal Orlando spokesman.

This marks the fifth consecutive year Universal and Disney have bumped up ticket costs.

Tekneek
08-07-2010, 09:27 AM
This marks the fifth consecutive year Universal and Disney have bumped up ticket costs.

Monkey see, monkey do.

Joannelet
08-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Wow this is all just crazy to me. It saddens me actually.

caryrae
08-07-2010, 08:13 PM

Just saw on a website showing the ticket prices from Jan 2005 to present. When you see it that way it's gone up a lot.

The price of a 1 day adult base ticket in 2005 was $59.75 todays price $82. The Park Hopper Add On in 2005 was $35 up to $54 today and the Water Park Fun Add On was $45 in 2005 and $54 today.

A 10 Day Park Hopper - No expiration went from $343 in 2005 to $529 today.

Mickey91
08-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Friday, August 6, 2010, 4:34pm EDT | Modified: Friday, August 6, 2010, 4:45pm

Universal matches Disney price increase

Orlando Business Journal

Universal Orlando announced Aug. 6 that it is raising its one-day, one-park admission to $82 from $79, just a day after theme park-competitor Walt Disney World raised its prices on Aug.5.

In addition, many of the park’s other ticket options have received a $5 increase, except for the two-day, park-to-park ticket, which remains unchanged at $145. The Florida resident online specials remain unchanged. All price changes are effective Aug. 7.

The company’s goal is to continue to deliver high-end entertainment at a great value, “while keeping an eye on the marketplace,” said Tom Schroder, a Universal Orlando spokesman.

Man! I thought pricing wars were supposed to work the other way!!!!:secret:

JoF
08-09-2010, 08:32 AM
I have a trip booked for October 2011. In the UK, 2011 packages have been available for a while. Our package includes POFQ, car hire, QS dining plan, and 14 day disney tickets (includes park hopper and water parks). We actually got the disney tickets as 14 days for the price of 7 days so I am hoping this doesn't change. I do not think that the travel agent will be able to change the prices now given that we have a final invoice amount - I will rely on Intercot to keep me updated :mickey: