PDA

View Full Version : DME and flying night before

BigRedDad
08-03-2010, 02:21 AM
We had been planning to drive to WDW all along for October. However, SW just put up rates for $49 each way. The issue is we would fly in the night before.

If we stayed at an airport hotel for the night, can we take DME the next morning?

DizneyRox
08-03-2010, 07:07 AM
Yep, you get one round trip to/from the airport for each reservation. You can't use DME prior to your arrival, but after your arrial is just fine.

BigRedDad
08-03-2010, 07:19 AM
That's what I thought. This is how I broke down the logic:

Driving: $225 and 9 hours each way in the car
Hotel night before: $50 - $75 whether we drive or fly
Flights: $350 and 1.5 hours flight time.

For $125 more, it is much easier to fly.

disneymom15
08-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Sounds logical to me.

Dedivah
08-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Depending on where you are staying, wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to just add a day to your WDW room? That way you can just head to DME straight from the flight.

You wouldn't have to add park tickets for that night since you were not planning on going to the park anyway.

sorcerer fan
08-03-2010, 10:18 AM
If you fly in a day early, dont use DME tags on the luggage. just pick up your luggage and next morning take your luggage with you to catch the DME bus. we did this in dec and it works out fine

DizneyRox
08-03-2010, 10:34 AM
That's what I thought. This is how I broke down the logic:

Driving: $225 and 9 hours each way in the car
Hotel night before: $50 - $75 whether we drive or fly
Flights: $350 and 1.5 hours flight time.

For $125 more, it is much easier to fly.
Oh mercy! My logic is much simpler...

Time to drive >= Time to fly = fly
Time to drive < Time to fly = drive

This is what you should have said...

This is how I broke down the logic:

Driving: 9 hours each way in the car
Flights: 1.5 hours flight time.

It is much easier to fly.

BigRedDad
08-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Adding a night at Disney is about another $100 after all is said and done. Plus, my sister flies in early the next morning. We can just meet her from a hotel close by and all ride DME together.

KAT1811
08-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Have a great trip!! We will be there mid October until Halloween!

BigRedDad
08-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Thank you. I just booked our hotel right by the airport. I put in a price as a joke expecting it to get rejected on Priceline. They accepted it. We are about 3 miles from MCO for $25 plus tax for the night at a 3 star hotel. We will get to it about 8PM and leave about 8AM. Nothing more than a quick jump in the pool, evening snack, sleep, quick breakfast and back to MCO to meet my sister who lands at 9AM.

We do have to take our luggage with us which is a non-issue. I am not sure of the policies, but all indications is that we can take DME the next morning. If it is a hassle, I can provide one set of flight info for arrival. (Mods: not sure the policy on that, but it is not meant to beat the system).

NewDVCowner
08-04-2010, 12:35 PM
We do have to take our luggage with us which is a non-issue. I am not sure of the policies, but all indications is that we can take DME the next morning. If it is a hassle, I can provide one set of flight info for arrival. (Mods: not sure the policy on that, but it is not meant to beat the system).

You shouldn't have any problems. We're doing something similar for our trip in December. When I was speaking with the DME people I asked them if we could do that and they said it wasn't a problem at all. They just told me not to put the luggage tags on our bags. We just need to show up at the counter the next morning, bags in tow, and check in.