PDA

View Full Version : Rosetta Stone?

SandmanGStefani24
08-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Has anyone used it? If so, did it work?

I'd think so, since the commercials themselves taught me how to say, 'the horse runs' with the picture. :D

Any stories or inside info?

divinedi
08-02-2010, 11:18 PM
I'd be interested in the answers too, I would love to learn how to speak Spanish!!

The sets are very expensive though!

I know someone on here will know the answer!!

cubbie
08-03-2010, 01:44 AM
I gave it a try with Italian and actually picked up on a lot just after a few weeks. The set includes a headset which analyzes how you say the words, which can be frustrating if you can't get it perfect, but it's helpful, nonetheless. They used to send free demos, but it looks like you can sample it online at their website. If you have the money to spend, I'd recommend it, but only after you've tried the sample. Have fun!

ILoveLegos
08-03-2010, 11:01 AM
I have Rosetta Stone (R.S.) Japanese Version2 Levels 1&2 (now out of print) & Version3 Level 1,2 & 3. They are very good at what they excel in teaching but they still will not make the most ardent student fluent. I'll explain briefly.

Since Japanese uses a different character set and grammar rules than English (as you will expect), not every language concept is best conveyed through pictures and intuition. When I'm stuck, I still have to break out dictionaries, grammar books, ask someone who speaks the language natively or ask questions in online forums. R.S. is just one of many tools that I am using to master the language and it is an expensive tool (as another poster as pointed out).

Here is my take on the Good:
1. No memorization of vocabulary lists is necessary.
2. The method of learning is sort of like playing a video game, so it is not as boring as classroom drills.
3. It critiques your pronounciation (the level of precision can be set to really teach the nuances of the spoken word).
4. At times you hit "ahah moments" when your brain knows things intuitively that you didn't know.
5. I can understand proper Japanese spoken at a calm steady pace very well.

Here is my take on the Bad:
1. There is no way to practice the Japanese writing system in this program (I know that is not a issue for Spanish, French or other Roman lettered languages - but should be considered when this not the case as in Chinese, Hebrew or Arabic).
2. It is difficult to learn grammar through pictures. Think about it this way, you learned to speak your primary language very well by age five, but then you were drilled for 12 more years through high school on the grammar aspects of your language. R.S. gets you to "age five" pretty well, but then you have to study more beyond that on your own.
3. I find the "jump" into my own uncoached free thought expression - very slow. I know how to parrot what the program is looking for, but my brain often feds phrases to my mouth very slowly in real dynamic conversation - that's awkward to me. That means you have to practice your new language a lot in the real world to over come this brain-mouth delay.
4. I have trouble with common Japanese, gender differences in spoken Japanese, polite levels and emotional Japanese when I speak the language. I sound like a proper Japanese robot, not like a native speaker to others. I still make many mistakes, but you have to be willing to make mistakes to learn and be willing to laugh with others at yourself (but that's true with any new language experience - not just with R.S.).
5. The program is really expensive. I can take two semesters of Japanese at my local college for less than the price of Version 3 Levels 1-3. There are free nearly comprable sites online too (Mocha).

All that said, I am still working at fluency. This is my second go-round for both products Version2 & Version3. Yes - I am picking up more intricacies this time through than my first times. No - it is not a quick process. I have been studying for well over 3 years (with a very busy schedule in life). My motivation is a trip of a lifetime to Japan (coming soon) - which will include Tokyo Disneyland & Disneysea -:mickey: I also want to be able to converse with my friends from Japan in their native language instead of mine! :D

Hope this helps!

Pagan
08-03-2010, 03:45 PM
My wife used it before going to Paris last March. She loved it, said it worked wonders.

buzznwoodysmom
08-04-2010, 11:07 AM
My husband is military and we can use Rosetta Stone for free. We are considering learning a new language as a family when DH gets back from Iraq later this year. I'm assuming that its a decent program if the military uses it. I'll let you know how it goes when we try it. We are going to try French first, being from Louisiana where lots of people speak french we figured it was a good place to start. If it goes well, we'll move on to Spanish next.

ElenitaB
08-04-2010, 10:11 PM
I taught college-level Spanish for a few years in a program that was very innovative at the time... it was a total immersion program (my students didn't realize for months that I even spoke English). What I like about Rosetta Stone is that it also is a total immersion program. I got it for my son (who only speaks a word or two of Spanish here or there). After only a week, he was speaking full sentences, and not terribly simple sentences from a grammatical point of view.

I consider it to be a great program. Once you get to a certain level of language acquistion, you really do need to interact with real people, but Rosetta Stone does a great job at getting you to that level.

Dsnygirl
08-05-2010, 12:15 AM
So glad someone asked about this... I've been considering getting it, just because I'd like to re-learn all the French I lost from high school, and I've always wanted to learn Italian. Glad to know that for the $$ invested, everyone seems to like it... does anyone know if there are any ways to get the programs at discount?

ILoveLegos
08-05-2010, 01:08 AM
The discounts aren't huge but here is a rundown of what I have experienced:

The cheapest authorized option that I know of can be found in a mailing/internet catalog called Herrington. They typically offer a bit of a savings off the standard price quoted on the actual Rosetta Stone website. Sometimes Herrington is even more discounted than that during it's promotional sale season. (Of course there are other places to get the same discount but Herington is the one I'm most familiar with.)

Your worst prices are usually found at mall & airport kiosks, mainly because you have to haggle a bit, then stand around waiting for approval from an off site manager - just to receive the same discount that Herrington routinely gives.

If you choose to buy directly from the Rosetta Stone website, check first for promotional coupons that sometimes offer free shipping or an additional 10% off their prices. In the past, there have been back to school promos available this time of year.

Sometimes when you dial the number from the info-mercials, operators have special offers - just ask.

I think the 6-month money back guarantee is only offered directly through Rosetta Stone, so technically - that may substantiate the higher price of the Kioks and R.S. (calling them direct or using the website to order).

Please note that now R.S. has now introduced Totale which is $1000 USD annually - very pricey - but you get an interactive online environment, more practice drills & games and online native instructors who help you from time to time. This has a 1 month money back guarantee. <== I haven't tried this yet. :secret:

Hope this Helps!

P.S. - You do save a considerable amount by buying Level combo packs. For example buying Version 3 Levels 1-5 is quite cheaper than purchasing each level separate.

FYI - I bought my original Version2 directly from R.S. online and Version3 from the Herrington catalog. I plan to purchase Levels 4 &5 in Japanese from Herrington when they are released! :cool:

HollyB
08-07-2010, 11:43 PM
My caveat with Rosetta Stone is don't expect to be able to sell it when you are done with it. We bought Rosetta Stone English to help my son with his reading when he was little and struggling with a reading issue. It was actually very helpful for that because of the words and pictures.

But when he outgrew the problem, we tried to sell the used software on ebay. We got a cease and desist letter from their lawyer. According to Rosetta Stone's not very kindly worded letter, we did not actually own the software and had no right to sell it. They consider it a single user license. So I still (10 years later) have Rosetta Stone English.

I've heard from other people who had the same problem with the company. So, if you buy it, it is yours forever.