PDA

View Full Version : Do they Put APs on KTTW Cards?

MidnTPK
08-02-2010, 03:13 PM
On my next trip I'll be staying at a Disney resort. Will they put my AP on my Key-To-The-World room key/card?

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
08-02-2010, 03:22 PM
No, APs are separate from the KTTW card and cannot be put on the KTTW card. In fact, APs are not even on a plastic card -- they are paper. Kind of annoying because you'll have to have both your AP and your KTTW card with you at all times in the parks -- AP for entry and FPs, and KTTW card for charging and EMH entry to attractions. (Probably no good way around it though -- and believe me, I've tried to think of an easy way for WDW to permit these to be combined -- because your KTTW card is good only for the length of the current visit, whereas your AP is good for an entire year. It probably isn't good policy to have guests walking around with a KTTW card that is expired on its face but has an AP on it that is still good.)

ibrowse17
08-02-2010, 03:34 PM
I was really disappointed when we got our first AP's, but guess I got used to it. It would be nice to have something other than the little card stock type paper...:thumbsup:

MidnTPK
08-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks. I have my AP, so I know about the paper-esque card.

Probably no good way around it though -- and believe me, I've tried to think of an easy way for WDW to permit these to be combined -- because your KTTW card is good only for the length of the current visit
Are you sure about this? I thought park/water park entitlements expire 14 days after first use, not on check-out day....and that would mean if you bought non-expiring tickets, they couldn't be on the KTTW card either.

Not that it matters for me...I'm just curious.

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
08-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Are you sure about this? I thought park/water park entitlements expire 14 days after first use, not on check-out day....and that would mean if you bought non-expiring tickets, they couldn't be on the KTTW card either.

I don't know the answer to that with respect to the non-AP park and water park, but that's a good question. I do know that APs cannot be put on a KTTW card because I've tried. Hard. No luck. But your question is a good one because what does that mean for non-AP park passes that have the no expiration option? If they are on a KTTW card, does that mean you need to keep that KTTW card until you use up the days remaining on the park pass?

TheRustyScupper
08-02-2010, 07:53 PM
On my next trip I'll be staying at a Disney resort. Will they put my AP on my Key-To-The-World room key/card?

1) Yes, it can be done.
2) Just ask the Concierge at the resort to do it.
3) They scan it on, just like scanning a 3rd-party ticket onto the KTTW.

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
08-03-2010, 10:49 AM
1) Yes, it can be done.
2) Just ask the Concierge at the resort to do it.
3) They scan it on, just like scanning a 3rd-party ticket onto the KTTW.

Really? I don't mean to second guess, but I've asked the concierge (more than once -- at BC) and they've said it cannot be done. I would love it if you are right, though! It would be SO much more convenient to have my AP on my KTTW card.

CleveRocks
08-03-2010, 04:31 PM
your KTTW card is good only for the length of the current visit
That isn't accurate.

After your check-out day, your KTTW card no longer acts as a hotel room key or as a room charge or as a Dining Plan card, but it WILL still hold valid park tickets.

You can stay at a Disney resort and buy a 10-day park ticket as part of that stay ... the KTTW card would still be your park ticket even in the days after you checked-out of the Disney resort. And if you bought the No Expiration option, you could keep the tickets on your KTTW card forever.

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
08-03-2010, 05:42 PM
That isn't accurate.

After your check-out day, your KTTW card no longer acts as a hotel room key or as a room charge or as a Dining Plan card, but it WILL still hold valid park tickets.

You can stay at a Disney resort and buy a 10-day park ticket as part of that stay ... the KTTW card would still be your park ticket even in the days after you checked-out of the Disney resort. And if you bought the No Expiration option, you could keep the tickets on your KTTW card forever.

That's good to know. If that's the case, then perhaps The Rusty Scupper is correct that even an AP can be put on a KTTW card. As I said in an earlier post, I have been told on multiple occasions that it is not possible with an AP, but perhaps The Rusty Scupper has had a different experience.

That aside, what happens if you have a KTTW card that has on it a park pass with a no expiration option, and you have some days remaining after the conclusion of your visit? When you come back the next time, do you need to use that old KTTW card as your park pass in addition to having a new KTTW card for room entry and charging privileges during that visit? Or can you transfer the remaining days on the park pass to the new KTTW card?

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
08-04-2010, 02:43 PM
I was really curious and wanted to try to close the loop on this for everyone, so I just called Disney tickets (407-WDISNEY). I spoke with a cast member who answered my questions immediately and unequivocally, so I trust that her answers are accurate. The answer is that an AP cannot be transferred onto a KTTW card. Extra days of park passes on an old KTTW card can be transferred onto your KTTW card on a subsequent visit, but not APs. I asked what is different about APs versus other park tickets that results in this difference. Apparently APs are issued and tracked differently (and from a different system) than all other park tickets. Something technical behind the scenes and I didn't bother asking the technical details. I just took that part for granted. So, unfortunately, according to the nice cast members at (407) WDISNEY, the answer is no, an AP cannot be transferred onto a KTTW card.

One point of potential good news is that the cast member speculated that APs may be issued on plastic cards (like a KTTW card) rather than on the cheap cardstock in the future. This was based only on her speculation, not on any particular buzz she has heard. But she confirmed that when enough guests make the same comment, Disney listens, and she confirmed that many AP holders have complained about the cheap cardstock and have requested that, in the future, APs should be issued on the same plastic card as a KTTW card. So keep your fingers crossed for that!

Daisy'sMom
08-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Universal has had APs that were plastic and had your photo on them for years. Disney has been saying they are looking into plastic APs forever. I won't believe it until they actually hand me one. :mickey:

TheRustyScupper
08-04-2010, 08:50 PM
I spoke with a cast member who answered my questions immediately and unequivocally, so I trust that her answers are accurate. The answer is that an AP cannot be transferred onto a KTTW card.

Really? I don't mean to second guess, but I've asked the concierge (more than once -- at BC) and they've said it cannot be done.

1) I hear the responses, above.
2) But, as a Concierge, we do it all the time.
3) At first, we did it in error.
4) One of the girls thought it was just another ticket.
5) When it went through, she thought "Gee ?!?!?".
6) We have since done it many times.

NOTE: The ONLY rule there is when it comes to scanning other tickets to the key card is that only one may be on the card at any time. (You cannot, for instance, combine a 2-day ticket with a 3-day ticket for 5-days.) The scanned ticket replaces whatever was on the card previously.

CleveRocks
08-05-2010, 12:25 AM
I was really curious and wanted to try to close the loop on this for everyone, so I just called Disney tickets (407-WDISNEY). I spoke with a cast member who answered my questions immediately and unequivocally, so I trust that her answers are accurate. The answer is that an AP cannot be transferred onto a KTTW card. Extra days of park passes on an old KTTW card can be transferred onto your KTTW card on a subsequent visit, but not APs. I asked what is different about APs versus other park tickets that results in this difference. Apparently APs are issued and tracked differently (and from a different system) than all other park tickets. Something technical behind the scenes and I didn't bother asking the technical details. I just took that part for granted. So, unfortunately, according to the nice cast members at (407) WDISNEY, the answer is no, an AP cannot be transferred onto a KTTW card.

One point of potential good news is that the cast member speculated that APs may be issued on plastic cards (like a KTTW card) rather than on the cheap cardstock in the future. This was based only on her speculation, not on any particular buzz she has heard. But she confirmed that when enough guests make the same comment, Disney listens, and she confirmed that many AP holders have complained about the cheap cardstock and have requested that, in the future, APs should be issued on the same plastic card as a KTTW card. So keep your fingers crossed for that!There's no way for me to say this in a way that you'll likely believe it, but here goes anyway ...

You CAN'T rely on the accuracy of answers you get when you call 407-W-DISNEY. The cast members who work at the call center are NOT trained in all things WDW. They are trained specifically in 3 areas: resort reservations, ticket SALES, and dining/entertainment reservations. They are NOT trained in how the ticketing system works. They are NOT trained in how the transportation system works. They are NOT trained in resort policies (beyond things directly related to reservations).

Believe me, over the years we've heard some really laughable info that people have reported they've been told by CMs at 407-W-DISNEY.

On the other hand, TheRustyScupper has been an unimpeachable resource of information here at INTERCOT for years. I've never known him to report inaccurate information.

I know how odd it seems that I'd trust a stranger I've never met over the advice I'd hear by calling 407-W-DISNEY ... but like I said, through personal experience as well as the reported experiences of hundreds of other people over the past 5 years, I know better than to heed the information that comes out of 407-W-DISNEY unless it is specifically about one of the three categories I listed above.

MidnTPK
08-05-2010, 08:20 AM
So if we encounter a CM who isn't familiar with adding an AP to a KTTW, what should we say to get them to try?

wildernesslady
08-05-2010, 09:46 AM
We currently have a package booked with room, tickets, and dining. We will be upgrading our tickets to an AP. How will this work with our KTTW cards? Also, does it matter when we upgrade the tickets. Should it be before they are even used for the most value? We also got free dining for our trip. Does this change the value of the ticket? Thanks

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
08-05-2010, 03:23 PM
So if we encounter a CM who isn't familiar with adding an AP to a KTTW, what should we say to get them to try?

Ditto this question. Pretty clearly, the official WDW answer is that it cannot be done. But since it sounds like there is some way to get it done, I'd be grateful to know how as I'd like to be able to do this on our next visit.

CleveRocks
08-05-2010, 11:34 PM
We also got free dining for our trip. Does this change the value of the ticket? Thanks

Whether or not you have the Disney Dining Plan, and whether it was free or purchased, none of that has ANY bearing on the cost or value of park tickets ... two totally separate things.