PDA

View Full Version : if I'm going to ask for a resort upgrade, should I NOT do online check-in

LoriSan
07-31-2010, 07:06 PM
Let me start by saying that I am not asking for a FREE upgrade!

I have ressies at POP, and a few weeks ago, DH and I decided that we would rather stay at a moderate with a better pool area. My DS5 ADORES water slides and such. I checked with Kathy at MJ, and she said that nothing was available, but that I should ask when we get there, in case there was a cancellation at another resort.

If we stay at POP, I would like to be close to the transporation, and I have always been lucky with getting my requests fullfilled when using online check in.

So, do I do online check-in, so I can hopefully get my request if we stay at POP, or would that totally screw up the possibilty of moving to a moderate?

Strmchsr
07-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Doing online check-in has no impact on whether you get your room request or not. That should be noted on your reservation (and I'm sure Kathy took care of that). So, it would probably be better not to do online check-in if you move.

Keep in mind - if you move you may lose whatever discount you have at the value. That would not transfer. So, for instance, if you have "free" dining at Pop you probably would not get that at the moderate with such limited availability. They only sell a limited number of rooms with each discount. So, you might end up having to pay full rack rate at the moderate which would make it a very costly upgrade.

TammiMcMan
08-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Disney's inventory changes all the time, so I would definitely recommend that you keep checking each morning or maybe Kathy is doing that for you already. As Hammer pointed out, changing resorts at check-in can be very costly. Front desk CM's will charge you rack rate. I don't believe they're authorized to look up any type of discounts.

Strmchsr
08-01-2010, 09:36 PM
As Hammer pointed out, changing resorts at check-in can be very costly.

Tammi, how in the world did you mistake me for Christine? I didn't think we looked that much alike. :D

TammiMcMan
08-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Tammi, how in the world did you mistake me for Christine? I didn't think we looked that much alike. :DOops, sorry Chris :blush:. I could blame it on lack of caffeine, but unfortunately, I was probably having a senior moment :old: lol .

LynneM
08-02-2010, 12:01 PM
I'd agree that if you want to switch resorts, try to do it before you arrive.

However, if you do decide to attempt a switch at check-in, there's no advantage whatsoever in doing online check in. The only thing that online check in does for you is gets your paperwork and room key printed before you arrive. If you're changing resorts, that's all going in the trash, anyway.

One more thing I'd bring up....if you're going to attempt a resort switch, it would be a kindness to your fellow guests to NOT be in the online check-in line. The supposed 'faster line' is dependent on people walking up, taking their packet from the CM, and leaving the desk quickly. If you're going to be standing at the desk for 15 minutes while the CM calls around to see if they can get you availability at another resort and get your package transferred, the online check in line grinds to a halt.

I would expect that the online check-in CMs would send you over to the regular check-in stations once they realized what you wanted to do, but from what I've heard, that doesn't always happen.