PDA

View Full Version : December visit - best timing?

tadcd
07-30-2010, 10:03 AM
A friend is beginning to plan a trip to Disney in December, I travel there in Oct./Nov. so I don't have good advice for her. :(

She is wondering would it be better to plan her trip for the second to last week (the week before Christmas) or the last week (the week after Christmas) keeping in mind crowds and cost of on property resorts (just gave her MJ contact info. for some comparisons, but haven't yet drilled down on which will be the right resort for her family).

Thanks!!!
:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-30-2010, 10:17 AM
I would not suggest the week after Christmas that was the busiest time we ever experienced at DW.

Disney4us2
07-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Last time we were there was the first week of December. It was great. I didn't get the bad crowds. Not to say it wasn't busy, but better than the crowds during winter break. All the Christmas decorations were up. We had a great time.

We liked it so much at that time we are going again for the first week in December.:thumbsup:

NewDVCowner
07-30-2010, 11:41 AM
The week after Christmas would include New Years, too, which is probably pretty busy.

I don't know one way or another (I'm going the week OF Christmas this year) but my first reaction would be that the week before would probably be not AS crowded, though still pretty crowded.

TammiMcMan
07-30-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm guessing you mean either the week of the 13th or the week of the 27th. The resorts switch to holiday rates on December 16th, so it's going to be significantly higher to go the week after Christmas. I'd also alert them to the fact that the parks do sometimes have to restrict entry between Christmas and New Years, due to being at full capacity. There are certain levels, so chances are a guest staying on site would not be denied entrance, but that does give you an idea of just how crowded it can be that week.

I'd definitely suggest the week of the 13th. Although it's still going to be crowded, it won't be nearly as bad as Christmas. Whatever their decision, they should probably make it very soon or their resort choices could be limited.

RedSoxFan
07-30-2010, 02:17 PM
We're going 12/11 -- 12/19 --- and we got free dining.

jillluvsdisney
07-30-2010, 06:12 PM
I would choose before Christmas. The prices on resorts are much lower and so are the crowds. You still get all holiday fun!!

disneymom2000
07-31-2010, 11:44 PM
Definitely the week before Christmas.:tree: