PDA

View Full Version : My sister tricked me

KEYONNAH
07-29-2010, 03:20 PM
I stopped to see my sister today. My 6 yr old DN was there and she started talking about him liking Tinkerbell. He proceeded to tell me who each fairy was. I told my sister that I want to take a solo trip next spring to Disney. She said in front of him that I should take Davin my DN. He got all excited and started saying that he wanted to go with me. She did this on purpose knowing that I wouldn't be able to tell him no. I just found out that his school break is when I wanted to go. She already knew this. Not fair!

hoop de do
07-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Sounds like a bonding memory to me.

Have a great experience.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Michelle15
07-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Don't you just love siblings :thedolls:
But I think you would have a blast with your DN!

KEYONNAH
07-29-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm sure I will have fun. I was just looking forward to a solo trip.

Strmchsr
07-29-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm sure I will have fun. I was just looking forward to a solo trip.

Then tell him you'll take him on another trip. It's okay to say no. Plan a trip together at another time and enjoy your solo trip. You don't need to be manipulated into taking him. That's not fair to you or the kid.

jillluvsdisney
07-29-2010, 05:02 PM
I agree with STRMCHSR 100 %.

Zippy 1
07-29-2010, 05:11 PM
I agree with the above! If you are really looking forward to a solo trip then it is ok to say no. It took me a long time to learn this. If you want to take him at a different time then do that if not it is ok to let his parents take him.

VWL Mom
07-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Then tell him you'll take him on another trip. It's okay to say no. Plan a trip together at another time and enjoy your solo trip. You don't need to be manipulated into taking him. That's not fair to you or the kid.

:ditto:

Daisy'sMom
07-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Last year we were needled into taking DNs(2). I was not looking forward to it, but it turned out to be the best time since my children were small. It will be a memory both you and he will cherish. :mickey:

magicalmom
07-29-2010, 07:19 PM
First of all, you absolutely don't have to take DN this trip. It's important for kids to learn about deferred gratification. It's your trip, it's up to you.

That being said, since the possibility wasn't even on your radar screen, examine it. Would you enjoy a trip with a loved child along more, less, or just differently than a solo trip? There's your decision.

Consider: There's a little cosmic vengeance here: if you take him (totally your call), he will have learned that it's OK to push into other people's activities, and then he'll take that lesson home to his loving mama :thedolls:

Pirate Granny
07-29-2010, 07:44 PM
I've been put in the same sort of position. I come to Disney a couple of times a year...my sister in law told her special needs daughter (adult, but emotionally 12) to ask Aunt xxx to take you.. Although they can take her they prefer to ski or visit Hawaii...and don't like disney. I've stalled as long as I could, and will next fall take her...this will not be enjoyable for me, as she is loud and says the way wrong things at the most akward of times...I know she will enjoy, but I'm looking as this will be my really good deed for the YEAR...and I could be wrong...please let me be wrong...
:pirate:

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-29-2010, 08:00 PM
I'm so sorry that you're getting tricked and forced into feeling that you need to take people with you to Disney.

I know that might be hard, but I wouldn't take anyone on a trip, just because someone else thinks it is a good idea. If you're only taking them because you're being forced to, then it won't be a good trip, as you won't be in the right frame of mind.

If you don't want to, say no. Maybe you could suggest helping them to plan their own trip, but remember, going to Disney isn't a right (hard to believe, I know), and no harm will come to them without the trip.

KEYONNAH
07-29-2010, 09:04 PM
Like I said earlier I'm sure we'll have fun but my sister approached it the wrong way. I did take his brother and sister when they were around his age.

diz_girl
07-30-2010, 10:25 AM
Your sister sounds like a real piece of work. That being said, take your nephew so you he can be free of her for a week.

I know that sounds kind of harsh, but I'm in a crabby mood and manipulative people really push my hot button.