PDA

View Full Version : AAA Discounts?

Mary Chase
07-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Does anyone happen to know what the AAA discounts usually are - I mean is it a flat % off the room, or do they offer package discounts? If it's a flat % off room - does it matter what level you stay in (value, moderate or deluxe)? I was on AAA's website and for some reason I can't find any WDW discounts. And when I just tried to go through the booking process and thought I'd put in my AAA at the end to see what the discount would be - I didn't see where you put the AAA number in. Thanks so much for the help!

disneymom15
07-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Contact Magical Journeys, I believe they can do the AAA discount. They can probably answer that question for you.

Strmchsr
07-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Contact Magical Journeys, I believe they can do the AAA discount. They can probably answer that question for you.

MJ can do the room only AAA discounts, but not the package discounts. Only AAA can book their package discounts. That said, I've yet to see a time when the AAA package discount was better than the WDW discount. In fact, I've often initially booked the AAA room-only discount but never kept it because a better WDW deal came out later, so don't be too concerned about AAA.

As for the OP's question, it's a percentage discount on the room varying by level. As I mentioned above, AAA does have package discounts, but only they can book them and those are only worth while if WDW isn't offering a discount at that time. As suggested, contact Magical Journeys. They'll get you the best rate.

azcavalier
07-28-2010, 01:21 PM
We actually signed up with AAA simply because of the discounts, but that was years ago. We usually book through MJ. However, last time we went to WDW, we drove instead of flying, and as such, we decided to try driving to the parks. When we parked, we were jealous of the AAA Diamond parking at DHS, AK, and Epcot. So, for this trip, we went through AAA just to get the parking passes. We also took the Free DDP offer when it was released, but that negated the AAA discount. So, we are going through AAA this time, strictly for the parking.

Gregandmel
07-28-2010, 01:28 PM
We booked our first trip in 2008 through AAA and it was a % off room rates. 10% for Deluxe, 15% for Moderates and 20% for Values. We booked our 2nd trip through Magical Journeys and even though we got a PIN code which trumped the AAA discount (35% off Moderates) they still would have applied the AAA discount as well as kept an eye out for us for any further discounts offered. I'm sure AAA has "package deals", but we booked "room only" both times. They also have a discount on purchasing the park tickets but it's not a lot - but every bit helps!

jodijo
07-28-2010, 01:31 PM
A few years back I got a quotes from Expedia and MJ. I then went to AAA to see their prices. AAA was about $2000 more than the others. In fact the AAA agent told me to go home and book through MJ because they could not get anywhere near the other prices.

Hope that helps!

Strmchsr
07-28-2010, 01:32 PM
So, we are going through AAA this time, strictly for the parking.

Many AAA offices will give you the parking pass without booking through them. Mine does. I just ask nicely and they don't give me any problems as long as I show them that i am a AAA member. We have used it the last couple of trips. At DAK and Epcot it's definitely nice. At DHS and MK we've learned that the "diamond" parking is actually a further walk than using the normal lots. For me, having the parking pass is nice, but I'd still rather book through MJ and get the better trip planning.

MidnTPK
07-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Many AAA offices will give you the parking pass without booking through them. Mine does.
In the DC area, they require you to buy a multi-day park ticket from AAA to get the Diamond pass.

When I parked a DHS in the fall, the AAA lane was super-close to the park entrance. Do you know an about the smaller security checkpoint near guest services?

Strmchsr
07-28-2010, 03:41 PM
When I parked a DHS in the fall, the AAA lane was super-close to the park entrance. Do you know an about the smaller security checkpoint near guest services?

Yes, that does make it a little closer, but we've found it's still easier (and closer) to ride the trams. In May they had the AAA parking back a bit further than previously so it made it more of a walk.

Mary Chase
07-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I know WDW discounts most times better -we're just trying to ball park the worst case scenario at this point - as it will be over Thanksgiving and many times those dates can be blacked out.

Wow - I never noticed the AAA preferred parking? Do you get free parking with AAA? Or is it just preferred parking? I will have to check into that! Someone mentioned shorter security lines too - I have never seen that. Any more info on that would be appreciated!

Strmchsr
07-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Wow - I never noticed the AAA preferred parking? Do you get free parking with AAA? Or is it just preferred parking? I will have to check into that! Someone mentioned shorter security lines too - I have never seen that. Any more info on that would be appreciated!

It's not free parking, just a preferred "diamond" parking area. Like I mentioned above, at DAK and Epcot it's nice and fairly close. At DHS and MK it can be a bit of a walk, but if you don't like riding the trams then it's okay.

The security line referenced is only at DHS. It is over by guest services. Not as many people go that way, which makes it a little shorter.

azcavalier
07-28-2010, 07:08 PM

If you're staying on-site, the parking is free anyways. This just allows you to park closer.

dan24
08-04-2010, 10:17 PM
My wife and I have gone 5 times soon to be 6. We have always used AAA. We do getg a package discount as well as perks you can only get through purchasing a AAA Disney Package. Special parage viewing, merchandise discount card, preferred parking, as well as a travel agent. Our travel agent is like family now. I know that if I have a problem while I am ther I call her and it is fixed. A couple of years ago when American Airlines canceled flights we had to extend our vacation.. which I was not complaining about-but. All I had to do was call her she found us another room. We had used our AA miles otherwise she would have been able to find us another flight as well. SO long story short- we book and will always book AAA for the face, for the discounts, and because I know no matter what I need they will get it.

Thanks fot hearing my two cents:mickey: