PDA

View Full Version : O'Hana Children's menu?

eandrsmom
07-27-2010, 10:30 AM
I'll be making ADR's in about a month, and have a question. I know that O'hana is a recommended favorite, but we've never eaten dinner there because I have picky children. Is there an alternate children's menu available?

BigThunderFan
07-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Yes there is with more normal stuff. I know our daughter will be partaking in this menu... :mickey:

sassy2000
07-27-2010, 11:18 AM
I know they have chicken tenders and hot dogs on the kids menu. Both of my kids are picky eaters and use the kids menu.

KAT1811
07-27-2010, 02:52 PM
I never knew there was a kid menu but am not surprised. Disney is really good about helping out with picky eaters.

buzznwoodysmom
07-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Yes, there is. My son is allergic to a good number of items on the main menu, not to mention he's also picky (its tough to feed this kid LOL). He almost always gets a side of Mac N Cheese to go with what he can/will eat on the main menu. I do want to warn, however, that even if your kid only eats the bowl of Mac N Cheese you will still be charged the regular kids price. I think its around $14.99 now, but I could be wrong on that. I know I've asked in the past and was always told that we'd still be charged the regular amount. I'm glad he eats a bit of other stuff, because it would be hard to justify spending that much on a small bowl of Mac N Cheese, but we love Ohana's so I'm sure we'd do it anyway. Good luck finding your kids something they like so the rest of the family can enjoy this place!

Goofy4TheWorld
07-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Disney is really good about helping out with picky eaters.

As a recovering picky eater, I actually disagree with this statement.

I think Disney, at EVERY single TS location, should have on the kids menu Hamburger, Hotdog, Pizza, Chicken Nuggets, Pizza, Mac & Cheese, plus any additional items related to that particular restaurant's theme. However, you will not find all of these childhood staples at every location. For example, my 10 year old nephew wanted pizza at Whispering Canyon, but had to order a Cheeseburger because Pizza wasn't on the menu. He must have been tired, because he ended up in an uncharacteristic full melt-down because he wanted Pizza instead of a Cheeseburger. (I didn't think about going to Roaring Forks to get him a Pizza until the meltdown was too far along to stop.)

Some kids only want one thing (like I was) and when a restaurant has everything but that one thing on their kid's menu, meltdowns will follow. I have had a few myself.

I think one the problems at Disney is that they seem to have some items available for kids that are NOT on the menu, so if you don't know to ask (or forget) then you end up with an unhappy camper.

Just IMHO....

Jessietoystory2
07-28-2010, 01:23 PM
My family just spent 5 wonderful days at the Poly. The first night we ate at O'hana's (this is our favorite). We also have 2 DD's that are pickey eaters. They do have a children's menu to select from. But I must warn you the price's for a child are outragous. My DD (12) ate a hotdog & Our DD (7) had mac & cheese and chicken nuggets. We paid $34.99 for our 12 year old(the most expensive hot dog ever!) and $14.99 for our 7 year old. They should lower children's pricing. My husband questioned this and the waiter told him there was nothing he could do and that the children's menu is all you can eat too! Had we known this they would have eaten more. We were not told this until we paid. Also you can not take the children's left overs home.

minnie-mouse
07-29-2010, 10:03 AM
My girls had the chicken nuggets but they were at like $15.99 for the price. Well worth it though for hubby and I to enjoy a great Ohana's meal.

mickeyman42
07-30-2010, 08:08 AM
As a recovering picky eater, I actually disagree with this statement.

I think Disney, at EVERY single TS location, should have on the kids menu Hamburger, Hotdog, Pizza, Chicken Nuggets, Pizza, Mac & Cheese, plus any additional items related to that particular restaurant's theme. However, you will not find all of these childhood staples at every location.

I completely agree! As a recovering picky eater myself and the responsible parent of 2 picky eaters I can tell you that we have had lots of difficulties finding items to feed them at places that are generally described as having a wonderful selection for children. Unless the place has non-spicy chicken nuggets we are in trouble! I myself have to scan every menu before we make ADR's and hope that they haven't changed the menu when we get there as there is probably only 1 or 2 items that I would eat on each one.

Mickey'sGirl
07-30-2010, 08:16 AM
I don't think every location should have to have a mundane menu. If you don't like what's on the menu, then go somewhere else. At home, would you take your child to a pizza parlour and ask for chinese food?

As far as 'Ohana is concerned, you are paying for a buffet (it comes to you but it is still a buffet), and it is priced by age, whether you eat one wing or one hot dog, or take some of everything that passes by. When we were there in May, our DS6 ate only rice and 1 shrimp before falling asleep on his chair. His cost was the same as it would be if he ate everything in sight. (They loose money on my oldest son though ... so it all works out in the wash!)

Goofy4TheWorld
07-30-2010, 10:27 AM
I don't think every location should have to have a mundane menu. If you don't like what's on the menu, then go somewhere else. At home, would you take your child to a pizza parlor and ask for Chinese food?

I wasn't asking for a mundane menu, I was asking for an expanded menu with all the "mundane" foods generally okay with most kids, and "plus any additional items related to that particular restaurant's theme ." I see that as an enhanced menu for the entire family.

My son is allergic to eggs, and since all Mac & Cheese and Chicken Nuggets at Disney contains egg, pizza and hot dog are the only two guarantees for him. He does like fruits and vegetables, but getting those on the kid's menu can be hit or miss. That "hit or miss" is what I wish Disney would reduce by simply throwing in a few frozen pizzas in the freezer at Whispering Canyon so that they can charge me twice as much money for that pizza just because it is a table service meal, and yet I will be happy because I got to eat a good meal in peace.

I don't put my local pizza parlor on the same level of customer service expectations that I put Disney, but maybe that's just me. Disney doesn't have to have anything, but they loose a wad of cash when I eat at the food court (or a bowl of cereal in the room) instead of Le Cellier. The concentration of children at Disney would tilt the profit potential further toward wider kid's selection than it would at the local pizza parlor, IMHO.

Cdn Disney Dad
07-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Overall, the kids menu's could use a change. We always need to check before making a ressie to make sure there is something that our kids will eat. We are glad that our DD is now an adult this year. Also, quality and consistency of what is available to them is important. A good example is their Chicken Nuggets/Strips. Some places you get real breaded chicken, others just the processed garbage. When you are at Disney for 7+ days, making sure your kids are eating well is very important.

mickeyman42
07-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Overall, the kids menu's could use a change. We always need to check before making a ressie to make sure there is something that our kids will eat. We are glad that our DD is now an adult this year. Also, quality and consistency of what is available to them is important. A good example is their Chicken Nuggets/Strips. Some places you get real breaded chicken, others just the processed garbage. When you are at Disney for 7+ days, making sure your kids are eating well is very important.

Agreed, I hate reading a menu filled with great items for adults only to find uncrustables, and mac and cheese as the only items on the kids menu, really. I dont really know who is paying/using credits for uncrustable sandwiches but it would never be me, even though my DD would eat a homemade PB&J in a heartbeat.