PDA

View Full Version : Single Mom at POR

iheartdisney
07-22-2010, 02:13 PM
My husband is tired of WDW (I know. Crazy, huh?) so I'm going it alone in Nov. with my two boys ages 6 and 7. We're staying at POR. I'm known to push us to our limits. I know I'll have to tone it down but...

I'm especially concerned about the following:

I am sooooo confused as to where to request a building location.

The mansions seem nice and quiet (#1son and I are light sleepers) but seems a little frilly in decor and appears far from transportation. The bayou seems great but so many buildings to choose from and the map I was looking at wasn't real clear on the distance from things.

I'm not sure the proximity to the food court is critical since we'll probably snack for breakfast in our room. I'm nervous about coming back from the parks, late at night with two sleepy little cowboys. They're too big for me to carry any distance and (god forbid) they both fall asleep on the bus.

Any veteran (or recent) POR guests with advice for me? We'll be there in mid-Nov so I'm not sure we'll be using the pool. Or will we?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Pigtunia
07-22-2010, 02:19 PM
The three best buildings are 14, 15 & 18 in terms of proximity to the buses, and the Main building. The best location for the Mansions (which are quite nice) is #80 (Acadian house), because it's close to the north bus depot, and still pretty close to the Main building.

We love POR (as you can see by my signature)!:mickey:

PS. Swimming in November is a crapshoot. It can be quite pleasant, or downright cold.

tazlikesrobots
07-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Magnolia and Oak Bend mansions have a bus stop (east deopt)between the two buildings on the back side.

The acadian mansion is close to the North deopt bus stop....

epcot linnie
07-22-2010, 05:22 PM
I have to give you the thumbs up! I have taken my daughters alone for the past 5 years. My husband is on Disney overload....I have to say Disney is one of the very few places I would take my children to when I am in the single parent mode. We have stayed at Contemporary, AllStar Music, PO French and Akl. I have always been totally comfortable and secure. Good luck and enjoy!

Darbylew
07-22-2010, 06:36 PM
I think you will be fine by yourself with the two
little ones. I have been just with one grandchild
and did ok. I feel so secure and safe at the
resorts and in the parks. The cast members are
always willing to help in anyway they can. Have
a fun time and just enjoy being in the magic!
October 2010 POFQ :thumbsup::mickey:

MizMissy
07-22-2010, 08:33 PM
This may not be a realistic suggestion, but have you considered switching to POFQ? The resort is so much smaller than POR, all of the buildings are very close to the bus stop and the main building. There is no sit-down restaurant, but I felt like the food court was easier to manuever at POFQ.
Also, maybe my memory is faulty, but I felt like the walk from our mansions room to the bus stop was not only much longer than our walk at POFQ (we were literally the building next to the bus stop), but we also had to cross across a good sized parking lot to get to the bus stop that was on located next to the main loop. At POFQ, the bus stop is next to the main building and easily accessed from the side buildings, no crossing the parking lot and it was located more in the parking lot than on the road. I just felt like there was much less traffic to be concerned with at POFQ.
I will agree that POR mansions were much more picturesque, but it was a bit of a hike to the main building and also a lot of water in between. To me, managing to corral both of my children alone (and at that younger age) would have been easier at POFQ.

Donald Duck
07-27-2010, 12:39 PM
How could anyone get tired of WDW ?
:mickey:

We've stayed at Alligator Bayou many times and loved it.
Since you have 2 boys, I would stay there rather than FQ (mansions). They are frilly.

I don't rember the building we usually request (it's been while since we stayed there) , it might have been #17. It was close to the food court.

Good luck.

PinKy
07-27-2010, 02:11 PM
I also vote for POFQ. Its smaller - not far to walk from anywhere....... very pretty but I wouldn't call it frilly - nice pool and you can always take the boat to the other side of PO if you want to shop, eat at the restaurant there, visit that pool etc. (plus the boat is just fun by itself!) We did this when I was pregant with DS1 because I coudln't walk very far - I would imagine it would be similar for sleepy kids. :-)

PetefromRI
07-27-2010, 05:43 PM
What's the matter with these husbands?When our kids were little we couldn't even afford a vacation.I would have killed to go anywhere.Oh well,to each his own.Thank God I have a wife that's as crazy about Disney as I am.
My wife and I love the idea of going to POFQ instead.It's smaller and alot easier to get around.Even the furthest building is pretty close to the action and the foodcourt works great.Ask for a room nearest the foodcourt and pool area.

elmjimmlm
07-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Building 14 in AB is the building right next to the food court...You can also walk from the parking lot to the busses a lot easier than walking through the main building and around...18 has the quiet pool right behind it if that is more of what you are looking for...
I wouldn't worry about yours being lite sleepers there...You really don't hear much at all outside or in the rooms next to you..

Disneyfirsttimer
07-28-2010, 01:01 PM
We stayed in Building # 18, lower level, corner room and it was perfect. It had an extra window and was a quick walk to the food court :thumbsup:.