PDA

View Full Version : Who is up for a math quiz/challenge

DisneyDadfromPittsburgh
07-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Ok....get your paper and pencil ready. I need some help.

There is a total of 5 of us in the family.

Let me tell you what we are doing while at Disney...what we have....you tell me what tickets I should buy............

Don't turn your paper over until I say so.....

While at Disney next week we are:

Going to Epcot on Tuesday in the evening
Going to Blizzard Beach on Thursday
Park hopping on Friday
Park hopping on Saturday

What I have already is 4 free one day park hopper tickets I got as a gift

Now...do I

1) Purchase each other park tickets seperate each day?
2) Buy a two day park hopper and purchase the Blizzard Beach tickets seperate
3) Buy a three day park hopper that includes the water park

Which is the most economical to do?

You have as much time as you need. Good luck!

Oh...and thanks!

PopPhan
07-22-2010, 08:40 AM
Lots of things to take into account with this....

What is your actually number of days at WDW? You list Tuesday thru Saturday...Should we assume 5 days (Tuesday thru Saturday) then?

The One-Day Hoppers -probably- cannot be upgraded, so even if one person used all of those, they would still need another day - either in a park, or water park/DisneyQuest...

Are you NOT going to go to more than one water park and/or DisneyQuest?

Based on the information you provided...I would:

Have one person use the 4 one-day hoppers
Purchase one - One day Blizzard Beach ticket (for this person)

Purchase four - 4 day MYW + Hopper + Water Park (for rest of family)

This would give everyone the ability to park hop for the 4 days and the person using the 'free' one-day hoppers the ability to go to BB with the purchased one-day pass.

If you want to go to DisneyQuest, or another Water Park, somebody is going to be left out in this scenario, or you will have to purchase another individual water park/DisneyQuest ticket.

If you want to enter a park on the 5th day, you would need to purchase another One-Day pass - with or without Park Hopping.

If you are visiting more than the 5 days implied, the person using the 4 'free' passes would need a MYW ticket for the additional day(s) and the other tickets would need to be adjusted in number of days accordingly (luckily, those would be at the $3 per additional day level.)

I think I covered all your bases with this.....

Enjoy your trip!

DizneyRox
07-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Yes, assuming those one day hoppers are comp tickets, they can't be upgraded.

I would do the above, one person uses them, everyone else gets their own ticket. If you are really only going for three days, SAVE THAT SINGLE DAY TICKET! It's good for weekend getaways, etc.

If you don't need to save the cash, I would have everyone buy their own tickets, as those are more useful for a weekend getway for one or two people than a family of 5. I have a bunch of old tickets in a drawer that I use when I need to get away, or have poeple visit, etc. One day tickets are nice sinc ethe ticket tag system really doesn't come into play with them.

Canuck Park Hopper
07-22-2010, 09:56 AM
From what I have been able to calculate r my own scenarios, the longer you can stretch the duration of the ticket, the more economical it is. For example, one 4-day ticket is better (less expensive) than either of two 2 day tickets or separate three and one tickets.

In your case, I might guess that one 4-day ticket (w/ Park Hopper and WP+M) and four 3-day tickets (again w/ PH and WP+M) would be optimal. The four people holding the 3 day tickets then each use your freebie tickets on the last day.

Using Disney's price calculator (assuming all persons in the party are adults), the total comes to (1x$350.40) + (4x$344.02) = $1,726.48.

This helps demonstrate the marginal cost associated with longer durations: the 4-day ticket is only $6 more than the comparable 3-day ticket! It also kind less appealing as it values your 4 freebie tickets as 4 x $6 = $24.

You could as a result opt, to buy all 5-day tickets (pay the extra $24) and save the freebies for a time when they will save you a full day (which could be $400 or more)...

You didn't say what you planned to do on the Wednesday, but it doesn't matter either. With the 4-day and 5-day tickets you can still go to either a theme or water park without compromising the other planned days.

Canuck Park Hopper
07-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Good call PopPhan & DizneyRox:

Your plan would be (4x$350.40) + (1x$45.50) = $1587, saving about $278 off my system!

You could trim a bit more too by not getting the WP add on:

Say four 4-day tickets (w/ Park Hopper) = $1180 plus five 1 day passes to BB or TL @ 46.50 ea ($232.50), for a total of $1413.

You just wouldn't be able to go to the water park except the one day.

diz_girl
07-22-2010, 10:16 AM
First question, what are you doing Wednesday? You didn't mention that day. So my calculations are to assume that you'll be doing a theme park on Wednesday.

The most economical way seems to be to have one person use the four one-day park hoppers and purchase four park hoppers (no water park) for the other four people. If you know that you will going to the water park for only one day, then buy the water park ticket separately at Blizzard Beach. If you buy the Water parks & more option and use only one day, then you're wasting about $4 per person.

My calculations are (if all are adults):
4-day park-hoppers (no water park) - $293.63
x 4 adults = $1,166.52
5 individual water park tickets - $47.93 x 5 = $239.65
Total cost of tickets = $1,406.17

If you aren't going to the parks on Wednesday, then you can use the fourth day of the park hoppers in the late afternoon/evening in another park after you're finished in the water park. If you want to do 5 days in the parks, then just add a day to the four park-hoppers and one person will buy a one-day tickets, with the total extra cost of just under $100 on top of the $1406.

If you are only really going to the theme parks for three days, then get 3 day hoppers for 4 people and subtract $25.56 from the $1406. You then keep one of the one-day hoppers for your next trip, as it doesn't make economical sense to have someone who already is using a multi-day hopper to use one of the one-day tickets that cost about $84.

civilmousefan
07-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Unless I am missing something I calculate you will need to spend a total of $1,249. By buying 5 one day tickets for Epcot, 5 Blizzard Beach tickets and 3 TWO DAY w/ Park Hoppers.

BrerGnat
07-22-2010, 11:13 AM
If you are only going to the water park once, don't get the add on.

Buy 4, Four Day Park Hoppers.

Buy 5 one day water park admissions.

Have one person use the other 4, 1 day Park Hoppers.

#1donaldfan
07-22-2010, 12:36 PM
....this thread is EXACTLY why I love travel agents....!!!:thedolls:

DizneyRox
07-22-2010, 03:54 PM
....this thread is EXACTLY why I love travel agents....!!!:thedolls:
I wouldn't trust most travel agents to save me money. I would expect their response to be something along the lines of: Everyone needs to have the same ticket, that's 5 - 3 day park hoppers with waterparks and fun!

Itchy
07-22-2010, 06:32 PM
I wouldn't trust most travel agents to save me money. I would expect their response to be something along the lines of: Everyone needs to have the same ticket, that's 5 - 3 day park hoppers with waterparks and fun!

I use to make my own reservations with Disney, now I will only use Magical Journeys.

I have thrown a lot at Denise and she has always come thru with the best possible deal.

I have one on the burner now for December with a 5 day stay and two day tickets and dining plan. She hasnt fliched yet.

I'm still getting a great deal.

Try it you will like it.:mickey:

DizneyRox
07-22-2010, 09:26 PM
MJ seems to be the exception, which is why I said most travel agents... When you get paid on commission, there's usually little reason to save people money.

I don't think MJ does DVC, actually, I'm pretty sure they won't get by the MemberID question... But maybe...

iheartdisney
07-24-2010, 08:38 PM
No...this thread is why I love all you Intercoters! I'm so impressed with your math/econ skills! You all rock!:rocker:

VWL Mom
07-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Ok..
While at Disney next week we are:

Park hopping on Friday
Park hopping on Saturday

What I have already is 4 free one day park hopper tickets I got as a gift

I'm thinking let 2 people use 2 free ph each. Then you would need to buy:

3 day park hopper $271 x 3 adt = 813
single park (epcot) $79 x 2 adt = 158
water park $46 x 5 = 230
Total 1201 plus 78 tax 1279

CleveRocks
07-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Park hopping on Friday
Park hopping on Saturday

What I have already is 4 free one day park hopper tickets I got as a gift.
You guys are going to need 3 park days each (for Tuesday, Friday, Saturday).

YOU will use 3 of the 1-day hoppers. YOU will pay for admission to Blizzard Beach at the gate. YOU will pay $45.

Person B will use the one remaining 1-day hopper. Person B will pay for a 2-day park hopper. Person B will pay for admission to Blizzard Beach at the gate. So that's $208 + $45 = $253 for Person B.

Persons C, D and E will EACH buy a 3-day park hopper and a 1-time admission to Blizzard Beach. That's $271 + $45 = $316 each.

$316 = $316 + $316 + $253 + $45 = $1,246.

caryrae
07-25-2010, 02:54 PM
Not sure if this helps or saves money but did you check the Official ticket centers website (Intercots sponsor)?

They have this:

Walt Disney World Adult 3 Day Base Ticket With Hopping-With 14 Day Expiration (4th and 5th Day Free) Ages 10+
Adult $282.00
Note: All Taxes Included

http://www.officialticketcenter.com/cheap-walt-disney-orlando-hopper-tickets.aspx