PDA

View Full Version : Booking the Swan/Dolphin

Brian
07-21-2010, 11:04 PM
What is the best way to book the Swan/Dolphin and get the best rate? In the past, we've stayed in Disney's hotels and used Magical Journeys to secure any discounts as they were released. I just checked Magical Journey's quote form and it looks like they don't offer the Swan or Dolphin as resort choices.

crazypoohbear
07-22-2010, 12:48 AM
go right to the swandolphin.com
you can put in AAA or AARP or any other discounts you might qualify for.
or Call the hotel direct.

Scar
07-22-2010, 09:21 AM
The easiest way would be to click the link near the top of this page.

Brian
07-22-2010, 09:33 AM
I realize I can book online, but I was just curious about obtaining the best rate. In other words, I don't want to book it today and find out a month from now that I could've saved money if I had waited.

When I've booked Disney hotels in the past, typically I would book them at rack rate, and then have discounts applied as they became available. Do the Swan/Dolphin play similar games and release discounts as we get closer to the reservation date? Basically, I'm looking for the best strategy to book the Swan or Dolphin and take advantage of the lowest possible rate.

Thanks so far for the responses!

BugeyedMuggy
07-22-2010, 09:42 AM
We got the best rate for us with a AAA discount. We did it ourselves on line. There is a teacher/nurse discount but I don't know since it did not apply to us if it is better.

MidnTPK
07-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Do the Swan/Dolphin play similar games and release discounts as we get closer to the reservation date?
Yes and no. The S/D strategy seems to be to have lots of different discounts out there at all times. Like the Teachers& Nurse, Government Employee, and Starwood Preferred Guest. But I was just looking at their website and noticed that several of the discounts they have now are only through August 31. That's different than years past.

One thing that's a little odd about the S&D is that a convention can sell out both places, and there will be no rooms or discounts available smack in the middle of what would otherwise be a quiet time. But if you see availability for your intended vacation time, than that's not an issue.....by now they'd of blocked out all the rooms they needed for a fall 2010 convention.

BrerGnat
07-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Book directly through their site. Many times, you will see an option for booking and PAYING upfront that will net you the best price. However, cancellations and changes are not allowed, so you have to be really set in your dates to do this.

I've seen rates as low as $119 for the Dolphin using this.

The Swan/Dolphin (and other Starwood properties), to my knowledge, will not further discount an existing reservation when a room shows up less than when you booked it. They work on a sort of tiered system, meaning that they will offer discounts as they realize rooms are not booking, usually last minute. You can certainly cancel your original reservation and rebook at the new rate if it goes down, unless you did the "prepay" type of reservation.

I book with Starwood properties pretty often, and this is how I've noticed it goes. You will find the best prices WAY out in advance, or WAY close to the dates you want. It's sort of a gamble...

jnfr2424
08-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Check with Expedia as well I have seen some sale prices for S & D !

Mogie
08-10-2010, 11:03 AM
I stayed at the Dolphin in 9/2008 and staying at the Swan in 9/2010.

In 2008 I booked in July for a Sept stay at the AAA rate. I noticed in August that the rates had gone down so I called and was able to get my rate lowered, but they had to cancel my room and rebook, and I was warned that I was taking a chance that someone else may book the last of those available rooms. (It was a small chance so I took it.) Room came out to $171 per night. When we checked in we were surprised with free Breakfast vouchers for each day of our stay.

In 2010 I booked the Swan WAY in advance in March for my Sept stay at the pay upfront AAA rate and I've noticed that that rate disappeared sometime in June and the rates have gone up.
This year I'm paying $171 again. I noticed there is a higher AAA Rate for Breakfast Vouchers...but it's $50 more per night so I stuck with the $171 rate hoping for the same Breakfast voucher surprise when we check in.

So I think it changes year to year. In 2008 the Dolphin was cheaper, in 2010 the Swan is cheaper.