PDA

View Full Version : Air Fare Games

Disney4us2
07-20-2010, 07:01 PM
I am trying to figure out when to buy my air for our Dec. trip. I was going on United on the red eye..... I was checking it this morning.... :mad:no more red eye. That is my favorite direct flight.

I checked Southwest, they had a few flights that would take more than 7 hours to travel. They are not non stop, I was ready to buy on SW but checked United one more time.

UGH.... United dropped their fares and are now less than SW.

My dilema is should I buy now on United, or wait and see if the fares go lower, or possibly (gulp) higher again. I can get two direct flights at a whopping
$698.00. SW was $861.00 and $707.00.
Since I will be on a day flight I also need a room only for one night. I hate flying in late and using up a park ticket, and it would also upset my ADR schedule.

I know SW has free bags. United has a program for it's mileage plus. You can buy (prepay) bags for a year for $249.00. I was going to do that since I love non stop flights and seat assignments. It is worth it to me. I have 3 trips planned for 2010/2011.

OK Rant over. I really dislike these air fare games.

faline
07-20-2010, 07:08 PM
It's always such a dilemna - particuarly when you have to fly such a long distance! Hope it all works out for you!

DizneyRox
07-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Me, I wouldn't have checked anywhere but Southwest dot com. I buy as early as I can as my experience has been airfare doesn't go down as it used to. For my latest trip, that was the case and I'm glad I bought when I did. Has I waited I could hae ended up paying twice what I did for our flight down.

They way I look at those fares, there's no difference between $698 and $707, although if the trael time stinks, that's something to consider.

I would all but guarantee you that SW won't chenge the flight times on you either. Can't say that about United.

Madame Leona
07-20-2010, 08:01 PM
I buy tickets based on my budget. I have a number in my head and when an airline hits that number, I buy. It's been my experience that the earlier I buy, the less I pay. I also plan on the date that I get there and depart. I don't plan on the time. The first and last days of my vacation are merely travel days since the airline and mother nature are the only two things that can say when my plane is going to get there.