PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas!

michellerose1579
07-20-2010, 01:56 PM
63 days from now I will be in DISNEY!!!:cloud9: I am taking my mom (52) on her first trip there. I have only been there once, so Im not a pro. I was hoping that some of the pros, or some of the intercotees closer to my moms age can give me some ideas for good activities/attractions for her. She isnt a rollercoaster fan, so those are out. She said she will go on Splash Mountain because it's a "water ride" lol! We are staying at the Wilderness Lodge. Any advice would be appreciated. :mickey:

gerald72
07-20-2010, 02:31 PM
I'd say dont rule anything out or feel the need to stick to a concrete plan.
the first time I went, I found I liked things I didn't think I would, and was slightly disappointed in some things I was looking forward to.

Scar
07-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Spend lots of time in World Showcase.

T-Belle
07-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Hope your Mom has a wonderful first visit. I'm 52 years old and my family has a hard time keeping up with me at WDW. They call it "Mom's Disney legs" since I can out walk all of them. I'm the shortest in the family but my legs turn magical there and they're trying to keep up with me! Ha!
Explain to your Mom that this is Disney-where everyone is mentally about 9 years old and magic lives! Try all the fun rides and exhibits, have fun and be kid again!

ThunderChunky21
07-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Carousel of Progress. If she's like my mother-in-law, it will remind her of what life was like growing up.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
07-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Carousel of Progress, Soarin. Pirates of the Carribean is a lot of fun.

There is also the exhibit in the Soarin building, I forget the name, but it is in a little boat that goes through the experimental gardens and hatcheries. I found it very interesting, especially seeing the ginormous fruits and veggies.

We always take time out for the street shows at Studios. One of us always seems to get picked (or picked on in my case).

I am 52 but instantly become 12 when at disney!!

Fastpasssteve
07-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Perhaps she would enjoy going to Afternoon Tea in the Grand Floridian. I have enjoyed taking a couple hours from the hustle and bustle of a busy Disney trip to enjoy some of the finer things...good food...conversation...in a gracious atmosphere.

They also have a great orchestra and pianist that plays in the evening in the Grand Floridian Resort (located on the Magic Kingdom monorail line - easy to get to!)...and it's free.

Perhaps she would enjoy one or two character meals. It is a good opportunity to meet characters and give in to your Inner Child. There are lots of Character Meals throughout WDW. Check it out on Intercot...see what you think.

EJS-Houston
07-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Spend lots of time in World Showcase.

You took the words right out'a my mouth, Scar! Take time to wonder in and out of each of the country's pavilions, and don't forget to make reservations at one of the restaurants there. Akershus, Nine Dragons, Les Chefs du France, Marrakesh...all wonderful. I'm also told that English Pub is a great place from which watch the show on the lake. You might also consider taking the launch from World Showcase over to The Disney Boardwalk and explore that as well.

PETE FROM NYC
07-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Pick up one of the travel guides. I recommend the Un-Official Guide. I think they may also have a senior edition.
Don't know what kind of shape your mom is in ,but 2 yrs ago I ran my teen niece and nephew into the ground, and I am 59.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-20-2010, 07:09 PM
I'm in the 50 plus age group as well and I'll go on everything except Space Mnt, RnR and Tower of Terror. Especially don't miss the "kiddie" rides! I love the thought and design that went into them. And the parades and firework shows too! Everyone's a kid in WDW!! Take advantage of air conditioning whenever you can-even if it's just walking through the stores. Drink lots of water too!

faline
07-20-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm not a roller coaster person either but I've been on every one at Disney - including Rock n Roller Coaster.

hubbyofadisneyholic
07-20-2010, 07:54 PM
At 57 & 53 my wife and I will resist the urge to feel insulted and just say chronological age doesn't mean a thing at WDW.

I still ride everything, except the teacups, even though I had an angioplasty last summer.
My wife loves Tower of Terror and Taste Track, along with all the other attractions like Buzz Lightyear, POTC, Haunted Mansion, etc.

Heck, we get my wife's mom on everything except the coasters. And she is 70.

Other than physical limitations the only limiting factor is how far you are willing to indulge the kid inside of you. Mine gets indulged a lot.

And will again starting in 16 days. :D

lovinmesomedisney
07-20-2010, 09:04 PM
I just celebrated my 50th birthday at Disney in April, and it was my 15th visit since I first took my kids 15 years ago. I LOVE EVERYTHING!!! I go on pretty much anything and everything other than the Stitch ride, just because I can't stand the smell on that ride. Other than that, I do all the coasters, all the shows, all the "kiddy" rides, you name it! :mickey:

LVT
07-21-2010, 07:28 AM
Another 50+. I love the Swiss family tree house. The Movies that came out when I was young have clear emotional connections, even now. Enjoy.

JoF
07-21-2010, 07:51 AM
My mum was 64 when we went to WDW in October last year. This was her third trip - her first trip she was 60.
She loves Lion King, Nemo and beauty and the beast shows as well as fantasmic and all the parades/fireworks.
She has been on BTMR, Splash mountain, Buzz, POTC. I did take her on Dinosaur but think that was a bit much and she didn't speak to me for a while after that one!
World showcase is really good as someone previously mentioned - especially if the food and wine festival is on.
My mum also loves shopping in DTD and enjoying a coffee in Ghiradellis.
I think the thing to remember is - just go with the flow and don't have too much of a plan. If your mum is anything like mine, she doesn't like being rushed or organised and likes to find somewhere cool for a sitdown every now and then.
Have fun :mickey:

renecat
07-21-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm in the 50 plus age group as well and I'll go on everything except Space Mnt, RnR and Tower of Terror. Especially don't miss the "kiddie" rides! I love the thought and design that went into them. And the parades and firework shows too! Everyone's a kid in WDW!! Take advantage of air conditioning whenever you can-even if it's just walking through the stores. Drink lots of water too!
I'm also in this age range and last year I tried Rockin Roller coaster for the first time and fell in love with it. I can't wait to do it again this trip. I also won't go on tower of terror or everest I have been on space mountain but really didn't enjoy it. Make sure you do soarin.

BellesRose
07-21-2010, 01:23 PM
My mom is close to that age and doesn't like roller coasters, but her favorite ride is Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

You guys will LOVE staying at the Wilderness Lodge :number1:

IloveDisney71
07-21-2010, 08:55 PM
My mom is 58 and is not very adventurous but she loves Test Track. She also ejoys Soarin. If your mom enjoys shopping you might want to take a trip to Downtown Disney. My mom loves to go there. And don't forget the rides in Fantasyland. My mom's all-time favorite ride is It's a Small World.

kemps@wdw
07-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Any age is a good age for WDW. And the rollercoasters are just a small part of the magic. I agree w/previous poster about spending a little more time in World Showcase. But don't just stroll along the promenade, really delve into the countries. Check out all the shops and eateries, take photos in out-of-the-way places, see the films, and talk to the CMs there. Look back in the gardens @ UK and catch the British Invasion (Beatles band) and Off Kilter (in Canada) is worth seeing. DH and I like nothing better than having a late afternoon/evenng stroll around WS and eating and drinking a little something from each country. And by the time we're at the last country, it's time for Illuminations (another must-see). Also, you may want to check out some of the available tours. WL has it's own tour and ask @ the desk about being "Flag Family of the Day". It's a real treat! Don't plan out things too much so you can enjoy just being together @ WDW, but if you're set on dining somewhere specific, I would recommend ADRs. I hope...I know you and your mom will have a wonderful time! :pixie:

diz_girl
07-22-2010, 10:59 AM
If she likes the Living With The Land ride in EPCOT, maybe treat her to the Behind the Seeds tour. It's not expensive, and actually it's the least expensive tour at WDW. Since it's not expensive and there is no age minimum, your whole family can take the tour together.

LVT
07-23-2010, 06:32 PM
I forgot the SEGWAY tours. We loved them. 50/60 olds.