PDA

View Full Version : Value of old desktop PC.

caryrae
07-19-2010, 01:33 PM
My sister has an old desktop w/monitor (at least a few years old) that she wants to try to sell. I am sure it won't be worth much at all with how fast computers progress and it seems Laptops are more popular these days. Is there a website someone can PM me that we can see what it may be worth?

JPL
07-19-2010, 01:44 PM
The prices of computers have dropped over the last few years and honestly the value of an older PC is next to nothing.

BrerGnat
07-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Many big box electronics retailers will do a "trade in" value on an older computer for credit towards a new purchase in store. Look into that.

A computer more than about 2 years old is worth, mostly, nothing on the open market.

Mickey'sGirl
07-19-2010, 02:01 PM
I can't imagine she will get anything for it. We had a hard time giving ours away. Why not check out a local marketplace site to see if others are selling/purchasing old desktops.

DVC2004
07-19-2010, 02:10 PM
I was going to say the same thing everyone has said- computers drop thier value like you wouldn't believe. Her best bet would be trying to find a friend/acquaintance/coworker who might be interested in picking it up for cheap. And by cheap I mean practically nothing. Otherwise maybe she can donate it to a school or needy organization if she wants. I wouldn't expect to get more than $100 for the whole thing and that is stretching it.

caryrae
07-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Yeah I told her most info I saw on-line said $100 or less probably is what she may get and she would probably be better of donating it. I tried the best buy trade-in on their website and it said it had no value.

badkitty
07-19-2010, 02:24 PM
I couldn't even give my away. Sadly, it became e-waste. Hopefully it gave its parts for the greater good.

DisneyDog
07-28-2010, 04:39 PM
I would donate it to a non-profit organization and get a tax write off. That is going to bring her the most value.

NewDVCowner
07-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Or a school. The schools out here have been cutting funding all over the place. If they can't use it in a computer lab I'm sure a teacher there would love to have one in their classroom.

Fangorn
07-29-2010, 12:18 AM
As someone who has worked with schools and their technology needs for a couple of decades now, I have to caution about donating your old computers to any school. While it may make you feel altruistic, it typically means more work for the school - particularly whoever is handling the IT workload.

Only once, out of hundreds of 'donations', was the transaction profitable for the school. All the others resulted in the school taking the equipment and then, after spending lots of time, and frequently some money trying to make them servicable in the school's environment, giving up and disposing of them. Note that in some localities (such as Portland, OR) disposal of computer equipment will actually cost the school, as it can't just be put in the dumpster but has to go to a recycler that charges for the privilege.

So, if you think you're helping, you're probably not, and if you really, really, really want to donate old computers, please ask the organization if they truly want your junk. Most don't, but probably won't tell you that.

Just my 2 cents worth on the subject.

Steve

DisneyDog
07-30-2010, 08:58 AM
There is a place near me, a non-profit organization, that accepts old computers and fixes them up and donates them to children who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford them. They are called Team Children. I believe they are just local, but I'm sure there are other organizations like them throughout the country.

LVT
08-19-2010, 08:12 PM
We ended up paying at a dump.
Good luck

BigRedDad
08-20-2010, 07:17 AM
It is worth nothing. You may get about $25 for it, but not worth the hassle. You are better off donating to a non-profit that will take it. If you can find a donation place, you can write-off about $300-$400 on taxes. That is far better than selling it.

People give me their old computers to move their data around. They know they can't sell it and let me keep it. I get it up and running to donate. I usually have about 10-15 to write-off on taxes each year.

DonLefNY
08-24-2010, 07:08 PM
I recently sold my older 19" flat screen monitor for $20, but as for the rest of it I removed the hard drive and recycled the tower and keyboard at Staples.