PDA

View Full Version : Airfare...prices are finally going down a bit

MuchLovedMama
07-16-2010, 05:45 PM
I've been watching airfare for over 2 months now. Our plan was to drive but if a good deal came along then we'd jump on it. Back when I started looking at airfare the lowset I could find from Columbus Ohio to Orlando was on Southwest and it was in the high 700's for the 4 of us. Last week Southwest was over 1000 for us. US Air dropped to $558 but by the time you added luggage fees it was around $650 not to mention that they were connecting flights with really long layovers so we passed.

Southwest is our only option for direct flights to Orlando and since bags fly fee that's what we really wanted. Well, yesterday I got an e-mail alert stating $138 round trip on Southwest which totals $637 for the 4 of us. I convinced my husband to do this so I booked it. A car trip sounded fun since we hadn't done it in so long but a 2 hour flight vs a 15 hour drive for only $300 more than it would've cost us in gas sounded pretty good. This morning I woke up and had an email alert stating $118 round trip for Southwest and I thought surly it won't be for the flight we just booked but sure enough it was. We got an $80 refund making our tip $557. How awesome is that? :party: We LOVE Southwest.

I've been watching fares on my Kayak app and it looks like all of the airlines have come down quite a bit in the past week or so so I thought I'd share the news in hopes that somebody else out there might be able to save some money or choose to fly now instead of driving. Hoping it's not just a Columbus thing but may help some others as well.

I'm super excited about this deal and had to share the joy! :cloud9:

Disney4us2
07-16-2010, 08:37 PM
I have been watching airfares too. For me they haven't come down in price yet. It has been $469.00 per person from Los Angeles to Orlando via most of the carriers. I will be on United since they have a direct flight. For us South West would be a major pain having to make 1 or possibly 2 stops.

I may buy a one way return flight for spring break since there are not many seats left. YIKES... that is not until next April.

MinnieMommie
07-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Haven't come down for us either but good going for you! I will keep checking and hope for some of your luck! :mickey:

4disneynuts
07-16-2010, 11:26 PM
The price for us on Sun Country is still really high to. They have good rates up until the end of November but we go in December. The dates we need to go and return it is around $480 a person. I refuse to pay that. We may have to go one day earlier as it is $150 a person less. I am hoping we will get down to at least $300 a person. The most I have ever paid is $250. I keep checking every day hoping they lower the price. We even talked about maybe driving if the price is too high but is is a 20 hour straight drive through trip.:mickey:

BluegrassDaisy
07-17-2010, 01:08 AM
Yep - they are coming down. I had been checking for weeks and Delta from Louisville was nearly $600/person! Last week I got it for $124 RT from Lexington! YEAH!!! We are booked for our fall break trip.:mickey:

MinnieMommie
07-17-2010, 01:26 PM
I want to thank the OP (MuchLovedMama) for starting this thread. I checked yet again after reading it this morning and found our airfare had dropped just about $75 rt per person. Yea!! Got our tickets for October on Southwest. I really do love Intercot. So many nice and helpful people and the best tips ever!! :mickey:

MuchLovedMama
07-17-2010, 04:24 PM
I want to thank the OP (MuchLovedMama) for starting this thread. I checked yet again after reading it this morning and found our airfare had dropped just about $75 rt per person. Yea!! Got our tickets for October on Southwest. I really do love Intercot. So many nice and helpful people and the best tips ever!! :mickey:

Your very welcome. That was my goal, to help somebody out. Congrats on your savings!!!