PDA

View Full Version : Wdw lice capital of the world!!! Be cautious!

Pam_66
07-16-2010, 05:20 PM
We recently surprised our daughters (6 & 7) with our first (first family trip ever) Magical Vacation to Walt Disney World! We had an awesome time! We celebrated my daughter's 7th birthday. We were in WDW for 9 days, and went on all the rides and some even 3 - 4 times (love the fast pass option) and loved every minute of it! Loved our value resort hotel everything!

However....Never in my life, or since my girls have been in school have I ever seen or had a lice problem. When we checked in to our hotel, we checked for bed bugs, but never thought about lice....go figure!

AND not in my wildest dreams would I have thought we would bring home LICE! YUCK! But when you think about it....WDW must be the lice capital of the world! All those people walking around, laying their heads on the airplanes, busses that have the comfy cloth seats, rides where thousands of kids put their heads, trying on those mickey mouse ears and hats, and there ya have it LICE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD! I don't know if we got it at our Disney Hotel or I would guess most likely the rides, airplane, or magic express busses. Think of all the heads that touch all those areas....YUCK! :(
I have spent the last three days doing everything imagineable to make sure these buggars are gone. The worst of it was day one.:sick:

I have read some great remedies and they have been working wonders! If you need any advice from a mom who was freaking out in walmart when I found the lice, and crying to the pharmacist on what to do....send me an e-mail I tell you how we got rid of them in 3 days! My oldest daughter had it the worst! I was so upset thinking how in the heck did I not seen these! But, I have come to realize, it happens to a lot of people so I was not alone....

jillluvsdisney
07-16-2010, 06:02 PM
The lice could have picked up anywhere. I've been reading trip reports on Intercot and other sights for several years and have never, ONCE, red about anyone contracting lice at WDW. I've also taken 10 trips to various resorts in the past decade and never had a problem either.

The call it the LICE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD is going way overboard.

Itchy
07-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Well first of all welcome to Intercot.

Having said that I must say as the previous poster that out of all the trips that I have made with my kids and grand kids have we ever gotten LICE. We have stayed at the values most of the time and the moderates.

I know how bad it is to recover from a case of lice. But! I think naming WDW the lice capital of the world is a little over board.

cajundisneyfreak
07-16-2010, 06:27 PM
We have been going to DisneyWorld forever.We've even had big groups of 20 people.No one I know has ever gotten lice or bedbugs.Are you sure they didn't catch it at home before going to DisneyWorld? It's not fair to blame Disney when you are not 100% sure that's where they got it.

Pam_66
07-16-2010, 06:43 PM
We have been going to DisneyWorld forever.We've even had big groups of 20 people.No one I know has ever gotten lice or bedbugs.Are you sure they didn't catch it at home before going to DisneyWorld? It's not fair to blame Disney when you are not 100% sure that's where they got it.

Well you are lucky! However, my girls DID NOT get it from home ....(even my doctor indicated that is definitely where we got it for the stage the lice was in) If you know anything about lice (I did not until I researched it) but it takes about the amount of time to get to where it was in my daughters heads to the time we were in disney. I LOVE Disney, but think about it, all those people, and everyone trying on hats, sleeping on the pillows, busses, it was contracted in Florida, not before we left from home. WDW area, or the air plane or busses, and being around all those people, is definitely where we got it. Yes, I agree I think saying it is the lice capital of the world, may be over exaggerating...BUT its the only place where I have seen that many people in all my life walking around. Never being on an airplane or close to that many thousands of people, so it was DEFINATELY gotten from our trip to florida and we spent 9 wonderful days at all the resorts So, the statistis are there. I am NOT bashing WDW, just saying to people to BE CAREFUL as that is where we got it....(my doctor even reinforcing my thoughts on where we got it) I'd go again and again, just saying BE CAUTIOUS from one mom that was freaked out. Only trying to help, not WDW fault, its the people that are going around with lice on their heads!

Pam_66
07-16-2010, 06:53 PM
The lice could have picked up anywhere. I've been reading trip reports on Intercot and other sights for several years and have never, ONCE, red about anyone contracting lice at WDW. I've also taken 10 trips to various resorts in the past decade and never had a problem either.

The call it the LICE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD is going way overboard.

This is where I read about lice so I decided to post my story too....that is where I heard about this site is googling "Has anyone gotten lice from WDW"

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=163221&highlight=lice

Dznygrl79
07-16-2010, 06:55 PM
I am sorry you are so upset by this however I can say as a teacher you have to understand that lice can come from just about anyplace, did you take a plane or train? The seat rests and close quarters could cause it, did you rent a car again not the cleanest things in the world. Did you visit anyplace else on your trip or try on clothes? Also only one member of the family would have to get it to pass it around. The truth may be that you contacted it on your trip however pointing the place and the cause will be a lot harder.

Itchy
07-16-2010, 07:01 PM
I did not want it to sound like I would be bad mouthing you. I have read where others have delt with bed bugs. Thank heavens I have not had that experience.

I have two more trips planned in the next 4 months. I just hope its not playing russian roulette with a fully loaded gun.

Happy vacationing at WDW :mickey:

SBETigg
07-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Of course, you could pick it up anywhere, and especially somewhere with such a huge number of visitors. That's sad. Those aren't the kind of souvenirs anyone wants to bring home. So sorry. Ick. Best wishes in getting rid of them.

Pam_66
07-16-2010, 07:10 PM
I am sorry you are so upset by this however I can say as a teacher you have to understand that lice can come from just about anyplace, did you take a plane or train? The seat rests and close quarters could cause it, did you rent a car again not the cleanest things in the world. Did you visit anyplace else on your trip or try on clothes? Also only one member of the family would have to get it to pass it around. The truth may be that you contacted it on your trip however pointing the place and the cause will be a lot harder.

Yes, it could of been anywhere, we took a plane and were on the busses all the time. I am just glad to be rid of it and want others to know to take caution and check when you get home for lice! I never ever thought about lice on vacation. My husband is the only one who didn't get it (he brought his own pillow and has a buzz cut hair) Next time I will just take preventative measures to make sure we don't get it again. But it WON'T STOP me from ever going back to Disney! We had the time of our life!

plutosnana
07-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Welcome to INTERCOT!!!!

And I have thought about Lice once!
Never thought of it everywhere though!
ICK!

:goofy:

jmj18
07-16-2010, 08:00 PM
What a HORRIBLE thing to bring home. I agree...never thought ofgetting it there....but you are right with so many people it is possible....rides..bus...blankets on bed (we all know they do not wash those after every guest). I will for sure take your advice and keep that in mind next time I am there.

THANKS for the warning!!!

:mickey:

PirateLover
07-16-2010, 09:06 PM
I think it's very possible your family picked up the lice from WDW. I'm also a teacher and have learned more about lice than I'd probably ever even want to know, and they are funny, annoying little creatures. WDW may not be the lice capital of the world but the threat is probably increased with a place that handles so much traffic on a daily basis. That's just how it is, it's not a knock against the resort. The HATS are concerning, and my DH hates trying on hats anywhere for that reason. If he tries on a hat at WDW he goes for one in the middle of the stack since the one on top is most frequently tried.

I'm glad you are not letting this experience deter you, and I'm sorry you had to deal with the buggers!

faline
07-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Not a great way to end a fun vacation! As others have noted, lice can be contracted just about anywhere. It's unfortunate that it occurred in conjunction with a family vacation.

iheartdisney
07-16-2010, 09:26 PM
Next time I will just take preventative measures to make sure we don't get it again.

What are you planning on doing to prevent them? I'm honestly curious because we're visiting WDW during prime "lice season" in November. No way do I want to experience what you have! No way!

BellesRose
07-16-2010, 09:34 PM
I don't doubt it! We've had plenty of little bugs in our Deluxe Resorts at Disney. Because there are millions of people in those beds a year, I understand the rooms aren't perfect. I always bring my own pillow, with double pillowcases that I immediately take off and throw in the wash when I get home. I also bring my sleeping bag (Which is made for 40 degree weather, so I sweat all night, but I'm THAT obsessive) because I'm so paranoid.

BellesRose
07-16-2010, 09:36 PM
What are you planning on doing to prevent them? I'm honestly curious because we're visiting WDW during prime "lice season" in November. No way do I want to experience what you have! No way!
Take my advice and bring your own pillow! If you don't want to pack it, just bring the pillowcases :)

jmj18
07-16-2010, 09:41 PM
I ALWAYS bring my own pillowcases....glad I'm not alone!!!

:mickey:

DisneyPrincess21
07-16-2010, 10:19 PM
But! I think naming WDW the lice capital of the world is a little over board.

It's not fair to blame Disney when you are not 100% sure that's where they got it.

:ditto:

Mrs Bus Driver
07-17-2010, 11:22 AM
I know how you feel, DD got lice 2x while in grade school and I got it from her. DH and DS just shaved their heads. 2nd time we had to get prescription lice shampoo and a friend told me to use mayonnaise when I combed out DD's thick curly hair. Not only did it make combing easier but helped loosen and remove the eggs. :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
07-18-2010, 07:03 PM
I was the original poster about this lice issue last year. It has been 11 months since our lice diagnoses. There is absolutely no way to say when and how we got them. All three kids, plus myself ended up with them and we used a professional lice removal service to rid us of them as we all have a ton of long curly hair and with four heads involved, it was impossible and all consuming. Needless to say, I don't fear WDW now, more than any other place. We practice safety at all times. We look before we put our heads anywhere, we don't try anything on our heads, and we use tea tree products on our hair at all times which is a natural lice repellent. We travelled to many other places last summer, including WDW so who knows which place we got them. Safety at all times now, the best we can, and hopefully we'll never have them again!

Tigerinvestigator
07-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Agree with others calling WDW the lice capital of the world is pretty harsh and I am sure Disney would take great offense with that title. The real lice capital of the world is the American kindergarten class! Be hard pressed to find many classes that don't at least contain knits. Just use common sense and it will be fine. 40 plus trips to WDW with my three daughters and wife and we've yet to see the first louse, just a great big friendly mouse!:thumbsup:

magicalmom
07-21-2010, 01:24 PM
DD (then 6) and her friend picked the little buggers up at a birthday party at one of those play-acting places where everyone shares hats.

Since then, we try to avoid trying on or sharing hats, and it's worked. (Knock on wood) While there are any number of possible vectors in public places, I'd guess hats are the most common.