PDA

View Full Version : Why are people such pigs?

tazlikesrobots
07-16-2010, 11:01 AM
NOTE: This is not a rant against WDW at all, but aimed at the littlerbugs who go to the parks!

<rant>
Last Friday I was at MK to watch the fireworks and it was quite crowded near the castle. The fireworks were fantastic as always, but I am very dissapointed in the people around me.

After the fireworks were over, there was trash, empty bottles and who knows what else. I felt really discusted. People would not do this at home, so why do they do this here? After all this is home away form home for most of us and nothing angers more than someone littering my house. I actually picked up at least two empy water bottles and threw them away.

I really commend Disney for their effort to keep the parks clean (I am sure it is an uphill battle). As I walked away from the castle towards Liberty Square, there was a crew of Disney employees armed with vacums, brooms, etc. ready to clean the mess.

Hopefully people will see this post and think about not trowing trash on the floor the next time they visit. Please do your part to keep our home away from home clean.

No matter where you are, please leave the place better than the way you found it ( I love this about Boy Scouts).
</rant>

Thank you for letting me vent. This has been boiling in my head for week now :mickey:

IloveDisney71
07-16-2010, 12:23 PM
I've never understood this either. Especially at WDW because they have trashcans EVERYWHERE. You don't have to look very far to find one. I swear they have one about every 10 to 15 feet or so. I'm not sure of the actual distance but it seems like they are everywhere. I guess some people just think that people get paid to clean up after them or something but I've taught my kids to throw their trash in trash cans and not liter. I think it's rude.

#1donaldfan
07-16-2010, 12:30 PM
I noticed that too back in June....it was very crowded that night....I just think some people are so lazy, that the bottle of water that obviously weighs less "empty" is too much for them to pick up and throw in a trash can that is most likely within an arms distance.....I am glad Disney has a way of cleaning away the lazy people's filth.....:thumbsup:

renecat
07-16-2010, 12:38 PM
Great post!!!:mad: I can't stand that people are so lazy to walk a few extra feet to find a can to put there trash in. I have been know to put things in my purse until I can find a can to put them in. Don't get Why some people don't have a clue and think they can just throw thing on the groud and walk away.:mad:

Tekneek
07-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Maybe it is similar to the phenomenon seen in store parking lots, where people don't seem too inclined to bother putting their shopping carts in the proper place. They figure somebody is being paid to take care of that for them and so rationalize that they don't need to do it for themselves. The same goes for the trash.

I may actually be putting more thought into it than the average person is. The real answer may simply be that they aren't thinking about it at all.

Tygger7
07-16-2010, 12:47 PM
You know, my DH and I had this exact same observation. Just think....if everyone not only threw away their trash, but also picked up trash when they saw it, the place would stay even cleaner! I love what you said and I try to live by it as well....leave the place better than you found it.

Tekneek
07-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Just think....if everyone not only threw away their trash, but also picked up trash when they saw it, the place would stay even cleaner! I love what you said and I try to live by it as well....leave the place better than you found it.

This thinking applies to every part of life and not just at WDW.

Scar
07-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Hopefully people will see this post and think about not trowing trash on the floor the next time they visit. Please do your part to keep our home away from home clean.I'm quite certain the people you speak of are not reading Intercot.

cajundisneyfreak
07-16-2010, 01:40 PM
I totally agree.I noticed this when I was there last time also.People get up from their tables at counter service restaurants and leave all their trash on the tables.Also people walking around the parks dropping wrappers on the ground.Everywhere you look they have trash cans.It's not just DisneyWorld either.When I go to the movies I noticed it also.Am I the only one who puts my trash in the can on the way out of the movie theater? Have RESPECT people!! Pick up after yourselves!!!!!!!!!

NewDVCowner
07-16-2010, 02:01 PM
It's everywhere, unfortunately. I've been noticing it at my office restroom as well. The place gets trashed and I honestly can't understand peoples thinking. It's an office building, would you want your clients to walk into that? I think people are just lazy.

azcavalier
07-16-2010, 02:28 PM
The Boy Scouts of America have a teaching called "Leave No Trace" that has to do with camping/hiking/boating. When you camp somewhere or stop to eat, you make sure that it looks exactly the way you found it, or better. My son is in Scouts, and we've been teaching our other kids this way of life, too. On school field trips when we're walking with a group of kids, we get the kids to collect trash if we walk by it. When we go to Disney, we absolutely try to pick up trash if we find it on the ground.

tazlikesrobots
07-16-2010, 02:57 PM
The Boy Scouts of America have a teaching called "Leave No Trace" that has to do with camping/hiking/boating. When you camp somewhere or stop to eat, you make sure that it looks exactly the way you found it, or better. My son is in Scouts, and we've been teaching our other kids this way of life, too. On school field trips when we're walking with a group of kids, we get the kids to collect trash if we walk by it. When we go to Disney, we absolutely try to pick up trash if we find it on the ground.

My Son is in Scouts and my wife is a den leader. I think Scouts (boy and girl) is a great way to instill good values in children and teach them about civics, duty and honor. I really like the teachning about leaving no trace and leaving the place better than the way you found it :thumbsup:

Ian
07-16-2010, 03:21 PM
We noticed this exact same thing last time we were down. It's not new, though. I think people tend to get kind of that "movie theater" feeling when they're watching fireworks. When you leave the movies, you leave your trash on the floor and they come in and pick up after you. My guess is a lot of people feel the same way about fireworks shows.

It is stunning, though, how many people can't carry something an extra three feet to the trash can they're approach and instead will just toss their cup to the side and keep on strolling along.

Tekneek
07-16-2010, 03:30 PM
I think people tend to get kind of that "movie theater" feeling when they're watching fireworks. When you leave the movies, you leave your trash on the floor and they come in and pick up after you.

Is this even expected behavior? I always take my own trash out with me.

zebradome17
07-16-2010, 03:49 PM
I totally agree with you. I don't understand why people can't just throw their rubbish in a bin - there are enough of them!
The most disgusting thing I've ever seen at WDW was in the queue for Kali River Rapids where they have these large stone lantern type things. I saw a person just throw a bottle inside one. I guess they could look like bins but to me they were clearly not and it just made me angry:mad:
Anyway, rant over and it really makes you appreciate all the hard work that the cast members put in to making the world so tidy :mickey:

gollybass
07-16-2010, 06:02 PM
ugh this is my biggest pet peeve ever, from people throwing trash / cigarette butts out of cars to people just walking along dropping stuff, it seems to be an epidemic in this country, perhaps we need stiff laws like in Singapore.

At the end of the day its because people aren't taught by there parents its necessary so they just dont care, and the fact of the matter is that it will only get worse as generations go on. (scary thought)

jillluvsdisney
07-16-2010, 06:09 PM
People feel lazy and entitled to not show good manners or common courtesy. They know someone will be along to pick up their mess.

I do have a more positive light on the same subject. I have seen numerous instances of WDW management in all parks picking up on the ground whenever they come across it. I'm talking about the folks wearing suits and ties. I've always been impressed by that.

Disney4us2
07-16-2010, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=tazlikesrobots;2077758] No matter where you are, please leave the place better than the way you found it ( I love this about Boy Scouts).

This is the same with the Girl Scouts too. However even at one of the GS events there was waterbottles on the floor. Our troop picked up the trash that the others left.

BellesRose
07-16-2010, 09:23 PM
"People would not do this at home, so why do they do this here?"

I agree with everything you said, except that line. I'm willing to bet that if you go into the homes of many of these people, you'll feel sick to your stomach. I don't see how people live like animals. I guess I'm just a neat-freak or weird or something.

ILoveMickey'77
07-16-2010, 09:58 PM
We were there for 2 days in July and someone had thrown a Sprite bottle down on one of the displays on Splash Mountain. I just can't understand why people think that's ok. The other thing that gets me is all the people who have spit out gum on the lift hill of Thunder Mountain, it disgusts me. Now I know why you can't buy gum in the parks.

In fact, on that trip, I bought a pair of disney crocs and took a sticker off and it got stuck on the sidewalk and I started freaking out because I couldn't get it unstuck to throw it away.

The ironic thing to me about the track issue is that Disney did a test either at WDW or DL, where they gave each guest a piece of hard cardy when they entered the park and they measured how long it took people to drop it on the ground. The average was between 25 or 35 feet. WDW has trash cans spaced at this interval throughout the parks. MK alone has over 3000 trash cans, so it's not like you have to look too far for one.

disneymom2000
07-16-2010, 11:12 PM
I saw this one day while dining at Pecos Bill's. The people just stood up and left all their stuff on the table and of course it was really busy with people waiting for a table. I got up and looked at them and said "Really?" "Seriously?" - Would you leave your table like that at home? I almost choked when they actually scooped up all their stuff and threw it away. I thought for sure I would get a rude comeback - but several people in the place saw the interaction so I guess they thought it better just to clean up and leave.:shake:

LoriMistress
07-17-2010, 01:10 AM
I hate it when people litter. :mad:

TikiLounger
07-17-2010, 11:33 AM
We were there for 2 days in July and someone had thrown a Sprite bottle down on one of the displays on Splash Mountain. I just can't understand why people think that's ok. The other thing that gets me is all the people who have spit out gum on the lift hill of Thunder Mountain, it disgusts me. Now I know why you can't buy gum in the parks.

Seriously, this really bothers me, too. We were in the queue line of Thunder Mountain and a mother told her son to "just spit" his gum out onto the roof shingles just outside. My daughter piped up and commented that there was a trash can just ahead and he looked at her and spit the gum out anyway. His Mom smiled at him. It's so inconsiderate of people to ruin the experience for all of us by leaving their trash and gum all over the meticulously imagineered queue lines and park details. I don't get how they don't appreciate the work and thought that goes into these parks. Really, I don't pay the price of admission to see their garbage, gum, dirty diapers, etc. all over the place. I've also started to notice more "graffiti" and initials scratched into queue line details, too. So disrespectful...

big blue and hairy
07-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Some people don't understand that the world isn't there to server them. Leaving everything on a self service table, just leaving shopping carts everywhere, taking up parking places...these people need a good swift kick...

:sulley:

PeterPan
07-17-2010, 02:46 PM
How many people here have actually picked up trash at a Disney park? I am willing to bet MANY of you have! I certainly have ... many times! I am thinking "I don't want this to ruin a persons vacation!" I have this burning desire to see everyone fall in love with it the way I did in 1966. Like someone else said, it is our home away from home. It is a very sad statement on the human condition that there are those among us who would litter. Shows total lack of respect for others and yourself.

Tekneek
07-17-2010, 02:49 PM
I agree with a lot of what is expressed in this thread, and there is a place for a certain level of etiquette and manners. However, I do also believe that etiquette and manners apply to the other side as well. I would like for people to not think of these situations as one where the "bad guys win" if we don't make them stop. That we do not fall into the trap of thinking that anything we do is alright as long as we are trying to prevent a wrong by someone else. I hope we do not assume that because somebody is not up to our standards at Walt Disney World, that we have some insight into how they live the rest of their life.

I used to think that every bad driver out on the road must therefore be a bad person in every other aspect of their lives. I am sure that doesn't make sense to some of you, but it was a recurring thought I had. I couldn't see how rude drivers could possibly not be rude and mean in everything they did. I know I was projecting my own assumptions upon them, while knowing absolutely nothing else about them. Maybe sharing these thoughts will give us some pause before rushing to label others.

Littering is wrong, and most of the incidents related in these kinds of threads are universally recognized as "wrong" (appropriately so), but we shouldn't conflate that with how they live the rest of their lives.

divinedi
07-18-2010, 10:29 AM
I have to agree somewhat with Tekneek, when I was younger (I'm 53) my parents thought nothing of throwing trash out of the car window, nothing major (no fast food rest. back then) but tissues, wrapping of cigarette packages etc. Yet, my Mom's house is and always has been clean, neat and tidy, not fanatically so, but very presentable. I admit I did for awhile too, and then realized quickly that it was wrong, my kids certainly think it's deplorable, and I did mention it a time or two to my parents years ago and they then put a garbage bag in their car and no longer littered as they understood it's a definite no-no.

This certainly DOES NOT excuse litters, it's just so disrespectful, but I agree it doesn't mean they are really bad/disgusting people either. Just my two cents.

ILoveMickey'77
07-18-2010, 02:35 PM
I am certainly not judging any of these litterers in their every day lives. I just don't think it's ok to think that it's ok to leave your trash laying around when Disney has made it so convenient to throw it away. Seriously, there are 3000 trash cans in Magic Kingdom. When there in July, a couple got up from one of those tables by the ice cream parlor on main street and left their dirty napkins, ice cream bowls, and drink bottles on the table. There was a trash can LITTERLY, 3 feet away from them. My husband and I ended up cleaning it up.

Darbylew
07-18-2010, 02:50 PM
We always clean our table off after we eat. I
always look for a trash can whenever we are in
the parks. If there is not one near me then the
trash goes in the backpack until I see a trash
can. I wish more people would pick up after
themselves in the parks. :mickey:

SandmanGStefani24
07-18-2010, 03:07 PM
We always clean our table off after we eat. I
always look for a trash can whenever we are in
the parks. If there is not one near me then the
trash goes in the backpack until I see a trash
can. I wish more people would pick up after
themselves in the parks. :mickey:

Us too. Even if it's not too busy (which is rare) we always like to make sure the table is at least as clean as it was when we got there. Not only does it help the CM who has to clean it later, but if it is busy, then someone else can sit there and not have to wait for it to be cleaned.

I guess the whole thing is lazyness and not so much rudeness. People see CMs working so hard to keep the place clean they think its ok to leave trash behind. (thinking 'thats why they're there, right?') Still, it's no excuse and IMO it's disrespectful. All I can do is, do my part to keep the place clean and hope my example leads others to do the same. If even one person takes my lead then it's a success.

Daisy'sMom
07-18-2010, 04:55 PM
How many of you actually stop and pick up trash on the ground? Whenever we see trash, bring at Disney or anywhere, we stop and pick it up, find a trash can and throw it away. But I notice most times, DH and I are not the norm. People will walk around it, they will step on it, and they will ignore it. But they won't stop and pick it up.
Why don't we all make a pack right now. No matter where we are, if we see liter, let's pick it up.:mickey:

CaptSmee
07-18-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm quite certain the people you speak of are not reading Intercot.

exactly.

I however have left empty bottles before, because I set them down and simply forgot them! :blush: I'm sure not all of them are left intentionally.

kemps@wdw
07-18-2010, 09:31 PM
your right about the trash receptacles. Disney did research to calculate how far apart the cans should be before he average person would use/need them. Therefore, no reason exists for people not to have access to them or use them except...well...they're just pigs. At the very least, disrespectful of WDW and others around them. Makes you appreciete the army of janitorial engineers that help keep the magic alive! Kudos to them all!!:thumbsup:

LynBug
07-19-2010, 12:06 AM
It seems to me that certain people are slobs wherever they go. I work retail at the moment, and it surprises me to see how inconciderate people are of the employees that have to clean up after them. I can only imagine the much larger scale that the Disney crew members have to deal with. I always make sure to pick up after myself wherever I go. I would personally be embarassed to make such a mess.

I say everyone should make the effort to help keep WDW clean. Be respectful of the parks and the people around you! :thumbsup:

Aurora
07-19-2010, 01:51 AM
What we need are some of the same ad campaigns they used to have in the 60s and 70s to "Keep America Beautiful." (If you're my age, you remember them; if not, do a search on YouTube to find some of them.)

Believe it or not, these campaigns worked, because it didn't occur to lots of people that their small acts could make a huge difference. Before these commercials, litterbugs were regular people, sometimes your own hard-working mom and dad. After them, the culture changed, and there was peer pressure not to pollute.

There have been studies that show people are more likely to litter where litter exists, and less likely when a place is clean. Also, some of the same people who complain about the litterbugs wouldn't stoop to pick up the trash themselves (present company excluded ;) ). So keep up the good work, Disney, and let's help them out.

Dragongirlx
07-19-2010, 03:47 AM
I just watched an article on the BBC on this exact subject this morning. Aparantly in England the cost of cleaning streets and disposing of rubbish has risen because people are just so lazy about putting rubbish in the bin. The worst cuplrits are people who smoke and just throw the cigarette butts onto the ground. Funnly enough there was no change in Scotland, where I live, and the cost had gone down in Wales. The report said that if every person picked up one bit of litter the cost would be reduced dramatically.
I would never leave litter and I don't understand people who do.

Zawadi
07-19-2010, 05:11 AM
I just watched an article on the BBC on this exact subject this morning.
I would never leave litter and I don't understand people who do.

I too saw the article.

IMHO: Lazyness and "out of sight, out of mind". The main problem is when there are no litter/trash bins. In WDW this isn't a problem so is down to lazyness.

I find it extremely annoying when people ignore signs to the effect "Please clear your table after you meal"

Final thought - a plastic bottle thrown into a hedgerow will take >400 years to degrade!

grumpyguy
07-19-2010, 07:14 AM
No soapbox here but,I think the fact a person would just think nothing of throwing trash of any kind onto the ground (let alone at wdw!!)is a direct reflection of how much lack of respect for people and others property exists.It is an example of our culture has degraded over time.
Help keep wdw and the earth clean...:thumbsup:

PopPhan
07-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Maybe if the put a PSA on Resort TV about littering - between Stacey segments.....:D

TikiLounger
07-19-2010, 10:05 AM
It seems to me that certain people are slobs wherever they go. I work retail at the moment, and it surprises me to see how inconciderate people are of the employees that have to clean up after them.

This is another pet peeve of mine. People who put items they think they may purchase, but don't, down where ever they happen to be in a store instead of where they belong. When my kids were still young enough to want toys but were old enough to walk to the toy aisles alone, I always made them bring everything they brought begging to me back where they found them. It's funny, but when my DD was 17, she worked in a retail clothing store for the Christmas season. The job only lasted 3mos, but she found out very quickly how annoying it became to pick up after all the slobs who shopped in the store. Now, she goes out of her way to make life easier for the employees of the stores she shops in. She even folds shirts (unconsciously, I think) while she's browsing. Crack me up!

Tekneek
07-19-2010, 10:07 AM
No soapbox here but,I think the fact a person would just think nothing of throwing trash of any kind onto the ground (let alone at wdw!!)is a direct reflection of how much lack of respect for people and others property exists.It is an example of our culture has degraded over time.
Help keep wdw and the earth clean...:thumbsup:

You assume it is a show of disrespect, but is it really? All we know for sure is that they dropped the item on the ground. Attributing anything more to it is of our own invention, unless we have additional information. If they do this because they don't understand or have not considered the impact, it can be more of ignorance than malice. If the claim holds true that littering is a lack of respect, than all mistakes made by drivers are a lack of respect, and I don't think it really holds up.

My personal experience shows that the way to change people is by showing them a better way.

To take a cynical view of this, if we all lowered the cost of Disney's park operations by leaving the place spotless every day, would they stop increasing the ticket prices twice a year? Would they revive dead areas like Wonders of Life? I know that would be a cynical view to take, but it's turning the current argument around to the other side.

BellesRose
07-19-2010, 11:46 AM
It's one thing if a person drops something and doesn't realize it. Somehow, $20 fell out of my pocket at Disney once. My best friend's sister was behind me and found it...she was nice enough to give it back ;)
But when people purposely throw things or intentionally leave them behind for the next person, that is rude. It's certainly not respectful, so the only logical conclusion is that it's disrespectful.
Go to the Magic Kingdom parking lot and check out how many people "empty" their cars...some leave bags of food, empty drinks, napkins, papers, wrappers and other junk that they have had in their car and leave it by the side door of their vehicle. I think since they paid to park, they actually believe it's like having room service and they can leave their trays in the hall...they feel entitled to do as they please.

Edit:
And I don't mean to say that those people are horrible and this and that, I'm just saying their actions are selfish.

Tekneek
07-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Edit:
And I don't mean to say that those people are horrible and this and that, I'm just saying their actions are selfish.

If I was sure they were not actually acting mindlessly, I would agree 100%. I suspect at least some percentage of this stuff is deliberate, although I cannot be sure how much. However, as someone who has been a bit of a student of social psychology, I know that a lot of people do a lot of seemingly bad things more out of mindlessness than intentional malice.

Editing to clarify... They are certainly not being polite or demonstrating mannerly behavior. I'm just not sure that these are all intentional acts. More than likely they just are not thinking about all of these actions. They may even disapprove of others they see doing it, but think they "have a good reason" for when they do it. Similar to drivers, that I know and others here may, that don't signal when changing lanes but complain endlessly when others do the same thing or people who make a driving mistake and then get mad at you for honking your horn and drawing attention to it. Ultimately, I agree that manners and etiquette should play a larger role in the everyday lives of people, but just wanted to temper some of the enthusiasm that builds behind these things.

big blue and hairy
07-19-2010, 02:53 PM
If I was sure they were not actually acting mindlessly, I would agree 100%. I suspect at least some percentage of this stuff is deliberate, although I cannot be sure how much. However, as someone who has been a bit of a student of social psychology, I know that a lot of people do a lot of seemingly bad things more out of mindlessness than intentional malice.

I see where you're going, but sometimes respect requires thought. I think they are being disrespectful, whether intentionally or not. Whether or not you agree with that, from your own definition, you have to agree that they are being thoughtless.

Tekneek
07-19-2010, 03:05 PM
I think they are being disrespectful, whether intentionally or not. Whether or not you agree with that, from your own definition, you have to agree that they are being thoughtless.

Yes. I think we agree on that point. At best, they are being mindless/thoughtless. Kind of like the difference between negligence and pre-meditation. They're both less than desirable, and the outcome may be the same, but they are not starting from the same place or have the same motivation behind them.

Carolanne
07-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Maybe if the put a PSA on Resort TV about littering - between Stacey segments.....:D
This! I think that would work quite well :mickey:.

Maybe 7 yrs ago I was in WDW with my mom & one of my nephews in early December. While in the CBR food court, two girls (pre-teen, early teens) came from one of the breakfast counters; one ended up dropping the entire tray, resulting in food going everywhere on the floor. They laughed & took off without saying a word to any of the CM’s.

Same trip, in the CBR store, again two girls: one of them accidentally knocked over a display of stuffed dolls. One just stood there while the other started picking up the dolls. The mother of one of the girls came over & actually said “Just leave it, that’s what they get paid for,” and then they all went along their way. Actually hearing someone say that (to a child!) shocked me so much that I still remember it.

joonyer
07-19-2010, 05:00 PM
As to this issue, if you are not thinking about how your actions (or inaction) might affect others, Then you are being SELFISH. It's as simple as that. Thoughtlessness, when it comes to this situation, is the same thing as overtly thinking "I don't care how my littering (or other action) affects other park guests or employees".

This same rationale applies to all of life. The bottom line is we have become a culture of ME. It has become epidemic. It's all about ME.

DVC2004
07-19-2010, 05:07 PM
People are like this everywhere, too. Public restrooms, even grocery carts. We were disgusted to find a dirty diaper wrapped up and in a grocry cart recently. I feel sorry for the people who have to clean this stuff up. You wonder what people's houses are like. Anyway, kudos to WDW for keeping it impeccably clean most of the time. A losing battle for sure.

Tekneek
07-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Thoughtlessness, when it comes to this situation, is the same thing as overtly thinking "I don't care how my littering (or other action) affects other park guests or employees".

Really? In every single instance? If you drop one thing, you are immediately a selfish person regardless of how you live the rest of your life?

Daisy'sMom
07-19-2010, 06:17 PM
To take a cynical view of this, if we all lowered the cost of Disney's park operations by leaving the place spotless every day, would they stop increasing the ticket prices twice a year? Would they revive dead areas like Wonders of Life? I know that would be a cynical view to take, but it's turning the current argument around to the other side.

So you are saying it's perfectly fine to be a slob at Disney unless they give the public something in return?:mickey:

Tekneek
07-19-2010, 07:30 PM
So you are saying it's perfectly fine to be a slob at Disney unless they give the public something in return?:mickey:

Of course not. But what classifies someone as a slob? Dropping one thing? Getting up from a table without cleaning it once? I just think people should be a little more careful about how they throw around these absolutes based on limited exposure.

If I watch a pitcher throw a ball and the batter hits a home run, I cannot reasonably assume they every time he throws that ball it will result in a home run. Likewise, I cannot reasonably assume that each piece of litter is there due to a slob/pig. Most of the time, we aren't going to know the whole back story (unlike the anecdote about spitting gum, for instance) needed to make a judgement.

BellesRose
07-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Like I mentioned, it's one thing if they don't realize it. I'm speaking specifically of those who purposely throw things around like the world is their playground. Even if their parents did it and that's how they were raised, you would think grown adults would know enough to realize that it's not acceptable in society. And to encourage their children to do the same is sad.

5togetherWDW
07-19-2010, 08:37 PM
I am generally very aware of anything I drop and would never intentionally leave a mess -- but I have to say that I understand how much can be spilled and forgotten, leaving a mess as the fireworks end. I in no way condone it, nor do I enjoy trying to manuever done a littered pathway -- but, much can happen during a 2 hour wait for the parade / fireworks.
Consider being in a family with a couple small children -- you stake out the spots and try to keep all happy waiting for a very long time. Little ones are tired and you give in to snacks. By the time the parade is about to start the Mickey bar has fallen on the ground, the water bottle rolled under the stroller, and a pushy family has tried to get in front of your little one. When another parent pushes their child up to the front, you take firm hold on the stroller - and don't realize the popcorn is now spilled. Your toddler is reaching for characters, you are snapping pictures - you don't realize the napkins have been tipped out of the cup holder. Your focus is on the looks on your childrens faces. The parade ends and crowds push around to be ready for the fireworks. You look for the napkins to wipe your child' face and are frustrated they are gone -- not aware that they have been kicked further toward the castle. You wonder if the spilled popcorn is yours or not -- then the fireworks begin, and you forget all but the look on your children's faces -- until you hear that your child needs to go potty - now! - and you have to manuever your whole group through the crush . . ..
Considering how packed the paths are -- you aren't thinking about the litter. You aren't a bad person, you aren't even sure if you spilled anything . . ..

magicalmom
07-19-2010, 09:29 PM
As to this issue, if you are not thinking about how your actions (or inaction) might affect others, Then you are being SELFISH. It's as simple as that. Thoughtlessness, when it comes to this situation, is the same thing as overtly thinking "I don't care how my littering (or other action) affects other park guests or employees".

This same rationale applies to all of life. The bottom line is we have become a culture of ME. It has become epidemic. It's all about ME.

The late author Robert Heinlein asserted that the clearest sign of a decaying society was messy public restrooms - his point being that members of a healthy society put the needs of the entire group ahead of their own desires and convenience.

Interesting . . .

Tekneek
07-19-2010, 11:23 PM
The late author Robert Heinlein asserted that the clearest sign of a decaying society was messy public restrooms - his point being that members of a healthy society put the needs of the entire group ahead of their own desires and convenience.

Interesting . . .

If it is the cleanliness of restrooms that indicates the healthiness of a society, we've been in bad shape for 3 decades. :ill:

tazlikesrobots
07-20-2010, 09:02 AM
What we need are some of the same ad campaigns they used to have in the 60s and 70s to "Keep America Beautiful."

In remember those, and that would be a good idea to bring back.

Completely agree. :thumbsup: I wonder if we shot a PSA would Disney show it on their resort channel? I'd be more than glad to film and edit it :D

DizneyRox
07-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Why are people such pigs?

A turtle was happily swimming along a river when a scorpion hailed it from the shore.

"Dear friend turtle!" called the scorpion. "Please let me climb upon your back and swim me to the other side of the river!"

"No," replied the turtle, "for if I do, you shall sting me, and I shall die."

"Nonsense!" replied the scorpion. "If I kill you in the middle of the river, you shall sink, and I shall drown and die with you."

The turtle thought this over, and saw the truth of the scorpion's statement. He let it upon his back and began swimming towards the other side of the river. Halfway across, he felt a sharp pain in the back of his neck.

"Why have you stung me?!" cried the turtle as his body began to stiffen. "Now you shall die as well!"

"Because it is in my nature," replied the scorpion as the turtle sank beneath the waters.

tazlikesrobots
07-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Why are people such pigs?

A turtle was happily swimming along a river when a scorpion hailed it from the shore.

"Dear friend turtle!" called the scorpion. "Please let me climb upon your back and swim me to the other side of the river!"

"No," replied the turtle, "for if I do, you shall sting me, and I shall die."

"Nonsense!" replied the scorpion. "If I kill you in the middle of the river, you shall sink, and I shall drown and die with you."

The turtle thought this over, and saw the truth of the scorpion's statement. He let it upon his back and began swimming towards the other side of the river. Halfway across, he felt a sharp pain in the back of his neck.

"Why have you stung me?!" cried the turtle as his body began to stiffen. "Now you shall die as well!"

"Because it is in my nature," replied the scorpion as the turtle sank beneath the waters.

Same could be said about politics. No wonder it is called pork barrel spending :D

Rosemickey68
07-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Last July when we were in line waiting to ride the Jungle Cruise there was trash all over the place. It was so sad to see! It was the first time I ever recall actually seeing WDW dirty.
I agree with the other posters, it isn't just at WDW, it's everywhere. Alot of people are so lazy and uncaring in todays world. I think alot of people have the "I'm entitled" attitude and it is truly sad.
Alot of people leave their trash at fast food places, at the movies, they throw dirty diapers in the parking lots, throw trash on the beach, etc. We have visitors that come visit the patients in our unit that will leave their trash behind for us to clean up (we aren't busy taken care of the patients or anything!)
It is so sad that people don't take care of this world the way they used to!

Fastpasssteve
07-20-2010, 05:36 PM
The idea of littering in a place we all love so much is...frustrating. Frustration is a useless emotion...it doesn't lead to anything.

So, here's what I'm prepared to do the next time I go down in October is to pick up some litter when I see it, especially if I can do it in front of a child. When a child sees an adult modeling good behavior, it makes them think and make make an impact. Perhaps not that day or that month, but down the road. It's too late for their adults to change. Adults don't change, at least not easily. Children are in a state of flux. They are still forming their ideas about the world and how it works. They have a chance.

BellesRose
07-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Just saw the local news...a group of teenagers from Spain are on vacation here and they were cleaning up our beaches and streets! Imagine if everyone on vacation took that kind of initiative ;)

i'm grumpy
07-24-2010, 10:01 AM
It's inexcusable. And I'm afraid some do live like that at home.

Disney Yankee
07-25-2010, 10:39 PM
This drives me CRAZY, too!!! I took my niece on Alladin last week, and there was garbage in the water under the ride. Really, it takes away from the illusion that we are flying over the ocean in a Magic Carpet!!!:(

Disney Doll
07-26-2010, 07:07 AM
Litter is horrible! We always try to pick up trash at Disney and I get most frustrated by the litter in unreachable places especially around the many water bodies. Those landscapers do some fantastic work and I hate to see someone's water bottle floating by.

I get that we don't want to classify people on broad terms based on one instance, but the fact that someone could litter no matter the rationale points to self absorption. There is no thought about how the litter will impact other vacationers and no thought about the person who will have to clean it up. The fact that it is mindless/thoughtless is the whole point in my mind.

Granny Jill A
07-26-2010, 01:34 PM
"People would not do this at home, so why do they do this here?"

Unfortunately, people do trash at home. I'm amazed sometimes when I walk by cars parked on the street and see a backseat FULL of trash. I guess it's better than having them launch the junk out the window.

When I was younger and faster on my feet, I used to chase people who had dropped trash and return it to them. The look on their face was priceless.

lightyearfan
07-26-2010, 03:13 PM
me and dw always see this happening, it's laziness along with being disrespectful, and i think that just goes along with today's society. espically with the younger crowds tweens etc..., they feel that they can do whatever they want, now allot of adults are pigs too, u have to wonder what there house must look like. what kills me and dw is that when were watching a parade on main street, people sitting right next to a garbage can will leave there mess on the ground, we actually heard one pig of a person say "leave it there for them to clean, thats what keeps them employed".

i'm proud to say that me and dw are respectful people and put our trash where it belongs , it's called a garbage can

victor

brownie
07-26-2010, 05:24 PM

It actually goes back further than Leave No Trace, which is a relatively recent philosophy. The troop I was in always practiced leaving the places we visited better than we found them. It didn't matter if the trash was ours or not, we picked it up.

DizneyRox
07-26-2010, 06:12 PM
It actually goes back further than Leave No Trace, which is a relatively recent philosophy. The troop I was in always practiced leaving the places we visited better than we found them. It didn't matter if the trash was ours or not, we picked it up.
Yep, this is my philosophy as well. BETTER than you found it. Of course, with mountain biking, etc, you bring it in, you bring it out.

Mickey91
07-26-2010, 11:11 PM

Editing to clarify... They are certainly not being polite or demonstrating mannerly behavior. I'm just not sure that these are all intentional acts. More than likely they just are not thinking about all of these actions. They may even disapprove of others they see doing it, but think they "have a good reason" for when they do it. Similar to drivers, that I know and others here may, that don't signal when changing lanes but complain endlessly when others do the same thing or people who make a driving mistake and then get mad at you for honking your horn and drawing attention to it. Ultimately, I agree that manners and etiquette should play a larger role in the everyday lives of people, but just wanted to temper some of the enthusiasm that builds behind these things.

But at some point an individual needs to accept responsibility for him/herself. To mindlessly litter and simply because it wasn't done in malice, does not excuse the act. Think about the mounds of trash left after Fantasmic! Honestly, how hard is it to pick up your drink cups, popcorn boxes and napkins and carry them out with you. And, though I am not trying to discourage others from cleaning up around them even when it isn't their mess, these acts of kindness can actually fuel others to continue to litter and leave their tables dirty. Because, "someone else will do it, why bother". No matter how noble, perfect, or otherwise talented or sincere you are in your everyday life, when you are that inconsiderate, lazy, and messy in a public arena, it really gives everyone who notices a glimpse of your true nature. And, I think it is a good thing to remind people of their obligation as human beings. PICK UP YOUR TRASH! CLEAN YOUR OWN TABLE! BE CONSIDERATE!

LudwigVonDrake
07-27-2010, 07:31 PM
I just came back about a week ago and know exactly what the OP means. The queues for a lot of rides were piled with garbage. It's rude and inconsiderate considering there are garbage cans everywhere.

edhunter28
08-05-2010, 09:16 PM
ive figured that there are 2 reasons why people do this kind of stuff
1. they are too lazy to walk 5 feet in front of them to throw something away
2. or, they feel since theyre somewhere else, they dont have to follow any rules and they dont have to consider anybody else

ANG
08-09-2010, 08:51 AM
[QUOTE=IloveDisney71;2077782]I've never understood this either. Especially at WDW because they have trashcans EVERYWHERE. You don't have to look very far to find one]

Ditto!

Tekneek
08-09-2010, 11:16 AM
But at some point an individual needs to accept responsibility for him/herself.

Of course. I don't think I ever said otherwise.

To mindlessly litter and simply because it wasn't done in malice, does not excuse the act.

I don't think I ever said it did. I was talking about people projecting all kinds of other attributes on someone who might have dropped something by accident. It is a rather dim view and makes a lot of assumptions. If I see a bad driver, does that mean they are an awful person? No, it doesn't. Likewise, if someone drops some trash, that alone does not make them evil, mean their house should be condemned, or maybe we should just lock them up.

Think about the mounds of trash left after Fantasmic! Honestly, how hard is it to pick up your drink cups, popcorn boxes and napkins and carry them out with you. And, though I am not trying to discourage others from cleaning up around them even when it isn't their mess, these acts of kindness can actually fuel others to continue to litter and leave their tables dirty.

It is all about setting good examples through actions. Actions speak far louder than words ever will.

No matter how noble, perfect, or otherwise talented or sincere you are in your everyday life, when you are that inconsiderate, lazy, and messy in a public arena, it really gives everyone who notices a glimpse of your true nature.

It really does? The data doesn't support that. You should read about some of Milgram's experiments. If these little snapshots indeed reveal people's "true character", then most people are probably cold-blooded killers. It really doesn't boil down to the easy assumptions and attributions that you think it does. While it will be true in some cases, there is not going to be anywhere near a 100% correlation there.

Mogie
08-11-2010, 12:39 PM
I bet you were amazed at how quickly the trash disappeared off the ground. I bet is was all picked up before the person who dropped it made it out of the park.

It's worse at Disneyland. Either people are sloppier there and don't care where they drop their trash, or the Cast Members aren't nearly as good.

Mickey91
08-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Of course. I don't think I ever said otherwise.

I don't think I ever said it did. I was talking about people projecting all kinds of other attributes on someone who might have dropped something by accident. It is a rather dim view and makes a lot of assumptions. If I see a bad driver, does that mean they are an awful person? No, it doesn't. Likewise, if someone drops some trash, that alone does not make them evil, mean their house should be condemned, or maybe we should just lock them up.

It is all about setting good examples through actions. Actions speak far louder than words ever will.

It really does? The data doesn't support that. You should read about some of Milgram's experiments. If these little snapshots indeed reveal people's "true character", then most people are probably cold-blooded killers. It really doesn't boil down to the easy assumptions and attributions that you think it does. While it will be true in some cases, there is not going to be anywhere near a 100% correlation there.

That's the trouble with data. It doesn't translate well from paper to flesh and blood. There is absolutely no excuse for not picking up your trash.

***Glad to see we're back to feuding! It was getting scary on the other threads! LOL!:thumbsup:

OCDisney
08-11-2010, 05:48 PM
My opinion on this topic is that people are on vacation so they feel the need to kick back and relax, unfortunantly that means some people are too lazy to do something as simple as throw away their trash. Disney does something though, to make the trash dissapear overnight so I'm glad that disney is eco-friendly. :vacuum: