PDA

View Full Version : Just booked POR

TinkInTraining
07-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Howdy, so, I just booked two rooms at Port Orleans. I'm a Fort Wilderness girl mysel but this is a trip with my brother and a total of 7 kids after he returns from Afghanistan.

Now, magical journeys told us the best option was two rooms at POR... never been.

Looking for suggestins, pro's, con's etc of staying at the resort.

What can I expect? Is it so close to EPCOT that we can walk there? Can we see the fireworks? Is this going to work out with us and 7 kids ranging from 16 to 5?

What do you think?!?!?!?!

Thanks for the help fellow intercotee's! :mickey:

tmosier
07-15-2010, 10:25 PM
I don't know the answers to your questions. I just wanted to say THANK YOU to your brother for his service and for being an American hero.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Yes it is going to work out :)

Although it is quite close to Epcot, you can't walk, and you can't see the fireworks, although you WILL hear them.

POR is great, with lots to do at the resort. There is a great "swimmin' hole" in the middle of the resort, and they have a place to rent fishing poles, bieks and boats. Lots to enjoy!

There are also a number of "quiet" pools, so you're never far from one, and if you get bored, you can head over to POFQ for a change, and enjoy its pool.

#1donaldfan
07-16-2010, 12:37 PM
You'll love POR....see my signature....have fun...!!!:thumbsup:

Ricbr
07-16-2010, 02:22 PM
I have been there 2 times (Mansions) already and going back in 2 weeks (Bayou was requested for the trundle bed). I think you will love it.

As stated above you really cant walk to Epcot....but it is a very short bus ride to their and Disney Studios. If you are feeling rushed around be sure to take the boat ride down to Downtown Disney. It is a great and relaxing way to slow things down. You can also walk to POFQ and enjoy their pool as well. They kids may like the Dragon slide. But the main pool in POR is great as well.

They kids will also love the Game room. I may be mistaken...but I believe it is one (If not the)biggest one in the world?? SOmeone will correct me if I am wrong. Either way it is a good one.

You can also check out the boats that you can rent right outside of the food court area. They even have a horse and carriage ride that will bring you around the resort for a fee.

Great choice!

#1donaldfan
07-17-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm not sure if it's the biggest, however it's bigger than the one in Pizza Planet !!:mickey:

Minniemo
07-22-2010, 05:20 PM
You will love it. I wanted to stay there this month but my budget just wouldn't allow it. Great theme, pool, fun water slide, fishing hole, food court, activities. Boat ride to DTD. Never had a problem with the buses. The rooms at Alligator Bayou can fit five to a room. The trundle is for small children, however, and slide out from under the bed. They stay low, at floor level. There are no elevators to upper floors in this section so if you have a sleeping child in a stroller, you may want to request a lower level room.

We love going to the lounge in the evening for the very entertaining (and funny) piano player. He gets everyone involved---don't miss it. Lots of trees, weeping willows.... rent a surrey and ride around the river. The resort is spread out. It has a relaxing atmosphere. You won't be disappointed.

Pigtunia
07-26-2010, 05:06 PM
We LOVE POR!:mickey::number1:

My recommendations for buildings for you to be in (for a combination of proximity to bus service, and proximity to the Main building (with it's food court, restaurant, etc) are Alligator Bayou 14, 15 or 18, or the Acadian House.

You must try to catch the piano player at the lounge.

TinkInTraining
08-09-2010, 09:49 AM
thank you all so very much, I really appreciate the feedback! I can't wait to go again!

Now I just have to figure out my dining...which I think at this point is going to be near to impossible! :)

darthmacho
08-09-2010, 11:21 AM
I'll let you know. I'm going there for the first time in just 6 days!!!!!!!!

Darbylew
08-09-2010, 11:36 AM
You will really like POR. It is a great resort. It
has a very good food court. There is a boat to
DTD. It is close to Epcot but you can't walk there. Have a fun time!! :mickey:
Thank your brother for the service to our great
country. :flag:

wdwfansince75
08-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Still not sure of your timing, but wanted to put in one more plug for SoG. In addition to all of it's other features, it has a small px, for tax exempt sales. And the rooms are the largest on site. There are specials for armed forces members returning from deployment, including 20% off rooms....making the rooms less than $100 per night.

From January 3 to August 31, 2010, Active and Retired U.S. Military, including members of the U.S. Coast Guard and active members of the National Guard or Reservists, may purchase 4-Day Walt Disney World Armed Forces Salute Tickets for themselves and up to five (5) family members and/or friends at a price of $99 per ticket. Park Hopper of Water Park and more can be added for $25 per ticket. Tickets must be activated by September.

While these are 4 day tickets, and cannot be added to, when we went in July, we were able to get 6 of the basic tickets. (I am retired military), and 3 of us used 2 tickets each. I used 2 tickets of the tickets, and went to the parks on 6 days with my tickets, and by using both tickets, park hopped on 2 days. DS#2 and his wife used theirs as 8 day, one park per day passes. Doesn't cover the whole party, but provides a great savings for some of your party. If you are just there for 4 days, it would save about $600 for your party. If you are going for 6 or more days, it would still save $100-$300.

AgentP
08-12-2010, 10:40 AM
We stayed at POR last year. We had a wonderful time. I would suggest saving one day where you can just explore the resort (and neighboring POFQ) and hang out at the pools. My daughter (3) kept wanting to swim the whole time! For dinner one night I would suggest Boatwrights. We went there one night because we were tired and didn't want to go to another resort/park. We had no ADRs, but were able to walk right in, it was about 5PM. The service was one of our best experiences of the trip and the food was wonderful! It was one of the best dinners of our trip.

azcavalier
08-12-2010, 11:06 AM
POR is our current favorite. We've been there the last two trips, and are going again in 51 days! Love the layout, love the theming, love the food court, love the landscaping. You guys will have a blast. If you get lost wandering the resort....just roll with it.

Dedivah
08-13-2010, 09:39 AM
We booked 4 rooms at POR on Sunday. We are traveling in a group of 11 - 6 Adults and 5 kids ranging from 7-19.

We are so excited about this trip.

Thanks for all the info about the resort.

I'm sure our kids will live in that game room.