PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on my dining choices

sydzach
07-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Wow, how things have changed for our trip in November-at one point we were looking at staying off property, then got a pin and decided to stay on property-POR, and now got free dining for our trip, so for the first time ever we are staying at a moderate resort and have free dining. Needless to say, I can't wait for this trip. Anyway, I made ADR's recently, based on what I thought would be the best fit for my family-MIL will be with us and we have one child 11 another 6. So, with that in mind, here are the restaurants I have booked-I would welcome any feedback you have as again, before this trip, we have never eaten at a table service save the Mexican restaurant at Epcot.

Epcot-Coral Reef-I have read the mahi is great and I LOVE Mahi Mahi-looking especially forward to this, and of course the atmosphere.
Magic Kingdom-we have two days planned here, so I have Crystal Palace for dinner one day and Tony's Italtian for lunch one day.
Hollywood Studios-Hollywood and Vine dinner.
Animal Kingdom-Tusker house for breakfast, figured this would be perfect for my 6 year old son.

lightyearfan
07-15-2010, 10:37 AM
all great choices, good thing that you booked tony's for lunch, because me and dw have tried tony's 3 times for dinner and each time we were very unhappy, we went there once for lunch and it was a completely different result, it was actucally great. we won't go back for dinner under our 3 strikes and your out rule :mickey:

enjoy your trip,

victor

#1donaldfan
07-15-2010, 12:33 PM
...We've done all of those places at one time or another (except HV) and can't come up with one complaint on any of 'em.....so, go enjoy !!!!:thumbsup:

beksy
07-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Tusker House is great! It is one of my favorite character meals. I also like Tony's (the tomato and mozzarella appetizer is so good!) and as a huge Pooh and friends fan, also enjoy CP. I've never tried the other two but they look good. Enjoy! :mickey:

Disney_Barbie
07-19-2010, 12:32 PM
So, with that in mind, here are the restaurants I have booked-I would welcome any feedback you have as again, before this trip, we have never eaten at a table service save the Mexican restaurant at Epcot.

Epcot-Coral Reef-I have read the mahi is great and I LOVE Mahi Mahi-looking especially forward to this, and of course the atmosphere.
Magic Kingdom-we have two days planned here, so I have Crystal Palace for dinner one day and Tony's Italtian for lunch one day.
Hollywood Studios-Hollywood and Vine dinner.
Animal Kingdom-Tusker house for breakfast, figured this would be perfect for my 6 year old son.

Personally, we adore Coral Reef, it's a must do for us
Tony's & Crystal palace are very good in our book as well
Never tried Tusker house.
We were EXTREEMLY disapointed w/ Hollywood & vine, service & food were more along the lines of "golden coral" in our opinion, Not up to disney par. This was our first time ever trying it & were assuming it was the studios equivelant to crystal palace (since it was priced about the same) but OH MY GOODNESS, in my opnion it was not even worth half the price of crystal palace. But that's just how we felt, I read of others who enjoy H&V.

sydzach
07-19-2010, 01:17 PM
The two I am most unsure of are the last two reservations I made, Hollywood and Vine as well as Tony's. However, I think Tony's will be a smashing hit with my kids whom both love all types of Italian food, Coral Reef food choices worry me because neither like seafood-I do think they have some kids choices they will like however.

As for Hollywood and Vine, I was not really sure what TS to chose at HS but that one offered the best time of day for me so I went with it. I will have to research it further and decide on that. One thing I do look for is more a buffet style because my kids, especially my 6 year old, is such a picky eater. I looked at the menu for H&V and it looked to have a good variety so thinking there will be something he might eat.

KAT1811
07-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Personally, I'd try Tony's. Hollywood and Vine I'd skip. There really isn't much in DHS that we really like. We do Mama's because it is the lesser of the evils. Most of the time we go over to the Yachtsman Steakhouse for dinner.

Mr_Increddieble
07-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Take the peaceful boat ride to the Beach Club for the Cape May Clam Bake. (As an option similiar to the Yachtsman Steakhouse suggestion above).

Takes time away from the park so there's that to consider.

sydzach
07-20-2010, 10:56 AM
After looking at the Hollywood and Vine menu, I think I will stick with it, seems it offers a very good variety of food and has a lot of items my kids will like. Like I mentioned, HS doesn't have a lot of dining options for TS and between the buffet and time available, for now at least I am going to stick with it. We are not folks that typically leave a park and then come back but certainly that could be an option to hit a great restaurant. But, with picky kids on hand, the buffet's are usually good in finding something they will eat. On the other hand, I don't like all you can eat buffets because I tend to eat too much. Hopefully though, I will be walking so much I will burn some calories off.

azcavalier
07-20-2010, 11:29 AM
We did H&V once, and it was OK. We usually prefer the SciFi or the 50's Prime Time. The Prime Time has good food, and a unique atmosphere.

We *love* the Coral Reef.

Our kids really like Tony's. It's not great italian, but it's not awful.

The Crystal Palace is fun, and the food is not bad. It can get loud, though.

We also have kids around those ages, and we like most of the Epcot restaurants. They love Teppan Edo (the food AND the chefs making the food at the table), Le Cellier, and Tutto Italia.

And we also like Tusker House. It's a little different, though.

sydzach
07-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks, as it gets closer, I might see if there are decent times for SciFi or 50's Prime time. I am open to change that reservation, the others I feel pretty confident about. I am REALLY looking forward to Coral Reef, that blackened Mahi Mahi already has my name on it!! My wife and I have always wanted to dine there and now we get a chance. CP, that is another place I have always admired during my trips to Disney in the past-looks like a very pretty place. Tusker is all about the character breakfast for my son, we did the Norway princess with my daughter when she was around his age, he was just a baby then and didn't go. So, that one is for him and we all love breakfast food so sure that one will be a blast. Tony's, looking at the menu, I am thinking my kids will love it as they love pasta, sauce, pizza.

darthmacho
07-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Personally, I love H&V. I liked it best when they had characters there, but I'm not sure they do anymore. Anyway, I thought the food was very good, and I loved the open kitchen. :mickey:

sydzach
07-21-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks for posting, glad to hear someone likes the place. Still not sure I will keep that ADR but I did like the look of the menu for my kids-variety is always helpful with my two for sure.

andreallybadeggs
07-23-2010, 12:28 AM
Have done H&V once for the character breakfast and twice for the Fantasmic dinner package. Would not call it memorable but we didn't hate it and everyone found at least one item that they really liked. Second time we were there with a family of VERY picky eaters for dinner and they thought it was our best meal so there ya go. I wouldn't make a special trip but if it suited our schedule best would not mind returning.