PDA

View Full Version : Need Disney Support and Advice!

magicjasb
07-13-2010, 09:38 PM
We are down to 16 days before we leave for our trip to celebrate my daughter's 10 birthday. We have only paid the room only deposit, but have saved up the cash to pay for the rest, as we don't use credit cards. Here is the problem--my husband lost his job yesterday! We are so torn as to whether we still go, since we have the money, or cancel the trip and reschedule in the future, so we have the money as needed. I know you can't tell me what to do and we have to make the decision, but I know people reading this would understand our dilemma and offer advice. Thanks!:(

cajundisneyfreak
07-13-2010, 10:44 PM
If it were me I'd go.It's already planned and you have the money.It would definitely get your mind off of things.Plus who wouldn't want to be at DisneyWorld for their birthday? The job hunt can start after a nice relaxing vacation.Ultimately the choice is yours.Good luck with your decision.Hope everything works out.:mickey:

mom2morgan
07-13-2010, 11:14 PM
I'd also go, but I don't always make financial decisions with my head ;-) I guess you have to weigh other factors - such as other household income, and his overall job prospects. You don't want to be spending money you may genuinely NEED in the future.

BrerGnat
07-14-2010, 12:11 AM
If ALL you have saved is the money for the trip (i.e., no other liquid savings), I'd honestly cancel the trip.

If, however, you have a separate emergency savings fund to cover your expenses over the next several months OR your husband is receiving a severance package, then I'd still go. In this economy, the average person is unemployed for 8-10 months after being laid off. You have to think long term at this point.

jrkcr
07-14-2010, 05:58 AM
First off, I am so sorry to hear about your husbands job. I know it must be scary for all of you. I have never been in your situation, so maybe my advice isn't worth much. But...
I totally agree with BrerGnat. It depends on your emergency savings, what debt you owe, etc.
If you are able to go and spend the vacation money without worry, knowing that you've got enough saved up for the next 6 months or so -then do it.

But if you know this money should be set aside for use in the next year to get you through, then I don't think any of you would enjoy spending it on a vacation.
Your daughter can handle the reassuring truth. Let her know that everything will be ok, just have to be smart with what you have for right now. Has she ever read the book, or seen the movie, of Kit(american girl series)? It is probably at your local library. My DD10 and I have talked alot about this story and how it relates to what people are going through now.

Best of luck to you and your family! :hug:

SBETigg
07-14-2010, 07:26 AM
If ALL you have saved is the money for the trip (i.e., no other liquid savings), I'd honestly cancel the trip.

If, however, you have a separate emergency savings fund to cover your expenses over the next several months OR your husband is receiving a severance package, then I'd still go. In this economy, the average person is unemployed for 8-10 months after being laid off. You have to think long term at this point.

Sound advice, but such a tough call. I'm so sorry about the job loss and that you have to make such a decision. Best wishes that it all works out.

T-Belle
07-14-2010, 08:05 AM
This is what I would do-maybe not necessarily what you should do.
My Dh lost his job over a year ago. I have always been a stay at home Mom. Keeping the home fires burning and running a very active home. I've taken "small" jobs since the kids have grown but honestly I really don't have any marketable skills. My DH is 62 years old and in poor health. He tried to find a job after being layed off but ultimately realized that no one is going to hire someone his age or because of his health issues.
We've exhausted our retirement, 401-k, and all our investments. We're contemplating bankruptcy. We just want to save our home.
Even with all that, if I had a WDW trip planned I would go!! I know there are those that would think that is very foolish. But since our world fell apart I've learned a lot about myself. I've learned to let go of the things that are out of my control. I don't know what will finally happen to us but I would love to be able to walk down Main Street and let the real world just disappear, even if it's only for a few days!
We-the Disney nuts-know how WDW can recharge your batteries and put you in a fantasy world,so to speak. And good mental health is just as important as physical health.
Good luck to you whatever your decision is. And if you decide to go to WDW you wouldn't be judged badly by me!

faline
07-14-2010, 08:06 AM
BrerGnat offers some great advice. Sorry to hear of the job loss and hope a new position comes along soon!

PetefromRI
07-14-2010, 09:13 AM
If it doesn't kill the budget I'd still go.It's a great way to recharge the batteries and get ready for a major job search.I'm in heavy construction so I know just where your at.Since last May I've been out about 9 months but fortunately we're at a place in our lives where we can live on unemployment without dipping into savings.Things are starting to look up for work though and I should be back to work soon.
Like I said,if you have no other savings then you have to cancel but if it's already been budgeted then go for it.

snowwhite1970
07-14-2010, 09:17 AM
If I had the money, I would pay for you to go, I really would!!!

Jeff
07-14-2010, 09:25 AM
I also think BrerGnat's advice is very sound.
I hope things turn around for your family soon. Good luck!

5togetherWDW
07-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Is there any way you can / could scale back your plans, but still go to WDW? (In this thread you don't mention any trip details - such as length, hotel class, if you are driving or flying to WDW, etc.)
We had to cancel a trip one time, and it so added to emotional turmoil -- making life seem all the more out of sorts / unfair / scary. Obviously, you need to consider your long term finances -- but knowing the stress (and guilt) of cancelling, I'd strive to keep part of the trip intact if possible.
Wishing you all the best

TheRustyScupper
07-14-2010, 11:35 AM
1) I would cancel the trip.
2) You have no idea how ling it will take for income to resume.
3) The trip could certainly pay for some or all of
. . . several house payments
. . . many weeks of food
. . . a few months of utilities
4) Disney is fun, but family comes first.

magicjasb
07-17-2010, 05:58 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice. After spending the week looking at finances, where we can make cuts at home, other savings/income/and debt we have decided to still go on the trip but make some changes. We were driving anyways, but we are going to cancel our ADR's. We had one for each night, but will have a kitchen in our room and figure we can save tremendous money by eating there. Also, we will not do the things we usually add on like boat rentals, Bibbidi Boutique, etc. We usually budget enough so that we don't have to think about what we spend there, but this time we are going to think about spending so that all the money budgetted is not used. With making the changes, we will be okay if my husband does not get a job for a few months.

faline
07-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Glad to hear you will still get your Disney vacation!

kemps@wdw
07-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Very sorry to hear about your plight. Only you can truly know if the trip should be cancelled or if you can swing it. If you go...wonderful! If you don't...well...then you have something to look forward to! We, too, have been in your shoes. But ours was due to unforseen medical expenses after we had paid for most of our trip. Physically and financially, we probably shoud have cancelled, but after the hell we went thru, I was determined that this was to be our reward for us and our then 8 yr old DD for "surviving" something so unexpectedly overwhelming, and we were going to go, come hell (already had that) or high water! And I'm glad we did! As it turns out, it was EXACTLY what we needed. If only for a week, we were whisked away from our troubles as only WDW can do! I really can understand your hesitation, but for me, the decision to go was truly the right one. :thumbsup: Good luck w/your job search. Maybe, you can apply @ WDW while your there. That is our retirement destination! :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-17-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm glad to hear that you are still going. Supposedly the job market has started turning so hopefully your husband will get a job quickly. What kind of work does he do?

DisneyLuver91
07-17-2010, 11:22 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice. After spending the week looking at finances, where we can make cuts at home, other savings/income/and debt we have decided to still go on the trip but make some changes. We were driving anyways, but we are going to cancel our ADR's. We had one for each night, but will have a kitchen in our room and figure we can save tremendous money by eating there. Also, we will not do the things we usually add on like boat rentals, Bibbidi Boutique, etc. We usually budget enough so that we don't have to think about what we spend there, but this time we are going to think about spending so that all the money budgetted is not used. With making the changes, we will be okay if my husband does not get a job for a few months.

I know it is a bit late to say it, but there is also free dining starting August 15. If you can, I would say to reschedule and take advantage! That's what my mom and I are doing, since she just left her job as well. Best of luck and you will be in my thoughts!