PDA

View Full Version : Accommodations Advice: Daddy and 3.5 Yr Old Daughter Trip

MidnTPK
07-12-2010, 09:37 AM
I'm looking for advice for my next trip in December. This trip will just be me and my then 3.5 year old daughter (see here for why I'm doing this trip (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=167836)). The issue I'm trying to resolve is the difference in our sleeping patterns: I sleep around 7 hours a day, she sleeps around 12...plus a two hour nap (which might be phased out before then).

I'm pretty certain that I need accommodations that have a room divider of some type...I don't want to have to sit silently in the dark for 5 to 7 hours a day...that's not my idea of a vacation. So I think I need either a 1 BR at a DVC resort or a hotel suite or two hotel rooms with a connection.

Or if the collective minds here at Intercot have a solution I haven't considered, I'd greatly appreciate learning how other people have resolved this issue.

khkymanager
07-12-2010, 07:44 PM
What a good dad you are to take your daughter to WDW. I wouldn't hesitate to make the trip if I were you. There are a few options available to you. There are the cabins at Fort Wilderness, the suites at the All-Star, and of course a one bedroom DVC. I don't think they will let you get two rooms because I believe an adult has to be registered in each room. Hope this helps, good luck. Have a wonderful trip!

EmmMOM2
07-13-2010, 01:51 PM
I would personally choose the Cabins at Fort Wilderness, that would give you a whole living area to yourself while she's in her bedroom sleeping. It will also allow you to save money on food since you'll have a kitchen.

Disney Yankee
07-13-2010, 02:29 PM
A 1BR at Boardwalk would be fun. It's close to a lot of things, and there is entertainment on the Boardwalk at night.

minnie-mouse
07-13-2010, 02:43 PM
I would say if your budget allows, stay at one of the deluxe resorts on the monorail loop. It's so convenient to MK, as I am sure your daughter will love that. I wouldn't worry so much about sleeping arrangements. My daughter was the samw age when we went and many times she took her nap in the stroller as we were walknig around the park. Also, if you are up earlier than her, you can retreat to your patio or balcony and enjoy some quiet time reading a book or something. Believe me, she will be so tired after a day in the parks that she will probably sleep and not even hear you if you had the tv on in the room. My DD did that on our trip. Have a great trip!

MidnTPK
07-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all the feedback.

I would personally choose the Cabins at Fort Wilderness, that would give you a whole living area to yourself while she's in her bedroom sleeping. It will also allow you to save money on food since you'll have a kitchen.
How does parking work at the Cabins: do you just park your car at your cabin and come and go as you please? I have some recollection of having to park your car at the outpost and people renting golf carts to get around.

A 1BR at Boardwalk would be fun. It's close to a lot of things, and there is entertainment on the Boardwalk at night.
I like the Boardwalk-YC-BC area a lot, as is evidenced by my stays at the Swan, Dolphin, and YC.

I would say if your budget allows, stay at one of the deluxe resorts on the monorail loop. It's so convenient to MK, as I am sure your daughter will love that. I wouldn't worry so much about sleeping arrangements. My daughter was the samw age when we went and many times she took her nap in the stroller as we were walknig around the park. Also, if you are up earlier than her, you can retreat to your patio or balcony and enjoy some quiet time reading a book or something. Believe me, she will be so tired after a day in the parks that she will probably sleep and not even hear you if you had the tv on in the room. My DD did that on our trip. Have a great trip!
My DD does not nap in strollers...there's no napping anywhere other than her crib (likely bed by December) other than when she's very, very sick.

The issue might be more with me and how I only need a little sleep and have occasional bouts of insomnia, even at WDW. She usually sleeps like a champ on vacation...but I keep the same schedule. And she babbles in her sleep a bit so when I've shared a room with her my sleep has been disturbed a bit.

faline
07-13-2010, 06:11 PM
The cabins are definitely an option for you. There's a separate bedroom which would be ideal for your daughter. You could use the Murphy bed in the living room - down when you want to sleep - up when you want to watch tv and fix something in the full kitchen area. The bathroom is off the hall before you get to the bedroom in the back to you wouldn't disturb her with that either. You can park one car at your cabin. Internal busses bring you to the area where you pick up park busses or you can rent a golf cart in lieu of using the internal busses.