PDA

View Full Version : Wild Speculation - Is WDW due for a new park?

Plex
07-11-2010, 08:29 PM
So I just realized that WDW hasn't opened a new park in quite a while. We're not in the longest period that WDW has ever gone without a new major addition...

MK - 1971
Epcot - 1982 11 years
MGM - 1989 7 years
AK - 1998 9 years

It has now been about 12 years since AK opened, and there aren't any public plans for a major expansion of WDW. There's plenty of room at WDW for growth, Disney just purchased Marvel, and Harry Potter just opened up at Universal, stealing some of WDW's thunder.

So... time for wild speculation! Ready? GO!

WDW*Dreamer
07-11-2010, 08:42 PM
My Disney addiction doesn't go back long enough to know just how far in advance Disney revealed their plans for AK, and DHS. They're pretty good at keeping secrets, but a whole park? I'm not sure how long they could keep that quiet. They are in the midst of the large expansion of Fantasyland in the Magic Kingdom. That's probably consuming a lot of resources right now.

DizneyRox
07-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Considering that MGM is a shadow of it's former self, and AK was never even finished, plus both are considered 1/2 day parks by many, I wouldn't bank on a fifth gate anytime soon.

SBETigg
07-11-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm not ready for a new park. I want some upkeep and new rides/attractions at the existing parks. I think they have enough parks.

HackLaSalle
07-11-2010, 08:48 PM
I think they really need to fix up the parks they have now before they start worrying about another.

MizMissy
07-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Considering that MGM is a shadow of it's former self, and AK was never even finished, plus both are considered 1/2 day parks by many, I wouldn't bank on a fifth gate anytime soon.

Not to get too off track - and I agree with your conclusion that they need to add more attractions to what they have now before adding a "fifth gate" - however, just curious what you mean by MGM being a shadow of its former self. Other than the Backlot Tour being a complete waste of time now, what's gone that used to be there?

SandmanGStefani24
07-11-2010, 09:08 PM

well said friend. i would rather see attention turned to the existing parks rather than a new venture.

DizneyRox
07-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Oh the list goes on:

Muppets, Indy, Star Tours, Great Movie Ride, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast have been run to death. They pulled the plug on the best stage show in Disney, Hunchback, prior to Nemo the Musical taking that spot.

Disney laid off the animation staff in Florida, so that attraction is a joke if you ask me. The backlot tour, as mentioned is a mess as well, and I can't believe they still run Sounds Dangerous.

Idol will go the way of Who Wants to be a Millionaire, once the show jumps the shark, which some say happened with Ellen.

Any other reasons why MGM is falling from grace?

Even the restaurants are shells of what they used to be.

gerald72
07-12-2010, 02:17 AM
I don't think there will be a new park anytime soon. But if I had to guess a year I'd say 2020, or at least a year ending in 5 or 0.
Think about the years the parks opened.

Magic Kingdom in 1971- celebrates anniversaries in years ending in 1 and 6. (40th in 2011)
Epcot in 1982- celebrates anniversaries in years ending in 2 and 7. (30th in 2012)
Hollywood Studios. 1989. Years ending in 9 and 4. (25th in 2014)
Animal Kingdom. 1998, 8 and 3. (15th in 2013)

Only digits not celebrating an anniversary: 0 and 5. Since 2015 is too soon and 2025 is too far, I'm putting my money on 2020.

gollybass
07-12-2010, 03:07 AM
I doubt it would make sense financially in the world as it is right now.

Scar
07-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Even if they wanted to build a new park (which they don't,) they could not possibly find enough (near) mimimun wage, and qualtiy labor to staff it.

So to answer your question... No, WDW is not due for a new park, at least not a full blown 5th theme park.

r4kids
07-12-2010, 08:56 AM

DITTO! They are both 1/2 day parks for us. We really get to do everything too. The birds of flight, sounds dangerous, backlot tour, etc. are really boring and we don't go. We struggle to find something to do by 2pm.

Ms. Mode
07-12-2010, 09:12 AM
The Travel Channel has a show on WDW that they pull out and play every now and again. The Disney people say that they have so much property in FL that the skies the limit on building new parks.

However, with the present economy situation it appears that they are just updating/refurbing some of the existing parks. Which is good!

I would love to see a "Villians" park from Disney in the future though. :mickey:

lightyearfan
07-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Oh the list goes on:

Muppets, Indy, Star Tours, Great Movie Ride, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast have been run to death. They pulled the plug on the best stage show in Disney, Hunchback, prior to Nemo the Musical taking that spot.

Disney laid off the animation staff in Florida, so that attraction is a joke if you ask me. The backlot tour, as mentioned is a mess as well, and I can't believe they still run Sounds Dangerous.

Idol will go the way of Who Wants to be a Millionaire, once the show jumps the shark, which some say happened with Ellen.

well me and dw must be in the minority on this one, i couldnt disagree more. u name all the bad things well what about pixar place? tsm is one of the best rides in all of WDW, bar none. they're updating star tours, ur pre thinking the future with american idol, meanwhile everybody wanted change in that building, and if it does go away im sure that they'll find something else to put in there, indy is indy, the only thing they could do there is update to add the later of those movies. i do agree on the hunchback show, but nemo is at AK and not DHS. they added the car show , and as far as the resturants are concerned, the only one that we wouldn't go back too is mama melrose, other than that we've never had a problem with the others. look we're all for updating, thats what keeps allot of us going back, me and dw however go back yr after yr because we find no other place that makes us happier than WDW, it's not just about the rides, if the other attractions u mentioned got updated to something new you'll have a bunch of purists crying like with the old dark rides replaced in magic kingdom, with winne the pooh so when they do try to change an update people still cry. here's a thought on a new park, call it WDW Classics and they can put all the attractions that people cry about that aren't there now, then after a few short years you'll hear people saying boy that classics park needs some updating lol. on a last note why doesn't fantasmic get mentioned as it is IMHO the best show in all of the parks.

victor

plutosnana
07-12-2010, 11:15 AM
I would like I new park but I surely would be surprised if they open a new park anytime soon.
I have no clue of what they could theme their new park!
But I agree that if it does open anytime soon, its probably going to be in like 2020.

:goofy:

ChipNDale79
07-12-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm all about a 5th park, but not until Epcot, AK, and DS are updated. IMO all 3 parks need a lot of work. MK has a lot to offer, i just feel like the other parks dont have nearly as many attractions as MK does. There is so much that can be done in the World Showcase, so many movie attractions that can be added to DS. I would think there still still a lot you can do with AK as well.

DizneyRox
07-12-2010, 11:52 AM
well me and dw must be in the minority on this one, i couldnt disagree more. u name all the bad things well what about pixar place? tsm is one of the best rides in all of WDW, bar none. they're updating star tours, ur pre thinking the future with american idol, meanwhile everybody wanted change in that building, and if it does go away im sure that they'll find something else to put in there, indy is indy, the only thing they could do there is update to add the later of those movies. i do agree on the hunchback show, but nemo is at AK and not DHS. they added the car show , and as far as the resturants are concerned, the only one that we wouldn't go back too is mama melrose, other than that we've never had a problem with the others. look we're all for updating, thats what keeps allot of us going back, me and dw however go back yr after yr because we find no other place that makes us happier than WDW, it's not just about the rides, if the other attractions u mentioned got updated to something new you'll have a bunch of purists crying like with the old dark rides replaced in magic kingdom, with winne the pooh so when they do try to change an update people still cry. here's a thought on a new park, call it WDW Classics and they can put all the attractions that people cry about that aren't there now, then after a few short years you'll hear people saying boy that classics park needs some updating lol. on a last note why doesn't fantasmic get mentioned as it is IMHO the best show in all of the parks.

victor
When that many rides need updating, there's a problem.

Fantasmic is the best nightime show, again, only running a few times a week.

PopPhan
07-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Not to rehash what most of the other posters have already said about additions/updates, there is another problem with adding a 5th gate and that is adequate staffing. There is already a short supply of staff available at the current gates and what is there is becoming increasingly less "Disney standard"

DisneyRox: When did they move Nemo: The Musical from AK to DHS? :thedolls: Never got to see The Hunchback show, but DW and I enjoyed Tarzan Rocks when it was in the area now used for N:TM, and we enjoy N:TM as well.

lightyearfan
07-12-2010, 12:29 PM
When that many rides need updating, there's a problem.

Fantasmic is the best nightime show, again, only running a few times a week.

a problem for people that are never happy!,what would u like to be done? if they do a massive update, you'll here people complain that there is to much renovation going on, thats all me and dw heard this march when we were at the mk. remember WDW will never please everybody

Friend of Figment
07-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Another take on this debate is to remember the vast majority of folks are one time visitors or very infrequent visitors to the World. While we might be tired of something that we have seen over and over, it is new and fresh to the first timer.
Personally, I am really excited about what's happening in MK. I also kind of like that DHS and AK don't take 2 days to see. I like to relax on vacation too.

DizneyRox
07-12-2010, 01:17 PM
DisneyRox: When did they move Nemo: The Musical from AK to DHS? :thedolls: Never got to see The Hunchback show, but DW and I enjoyed Tarzan Rocks when it was in the area now used for N:TM, and we enjoy N:TM as well.
The "spot" Nemo took was the best stage show in WDW, not the actual theater. Hunchback was better I think, but still they shuttered it. Why I'm not sure.

Nemo is a great replacement for that area of AK. Saw Tarzan Rocks one too many times (I saw it twice, once under protest). The Jungle Book show it replaced was much better. I only got to see that once before they closed it.

DizneyRox
07-12-2010, 01:23 PM
a problem for people that are never happy!,what would u like to be done? if they do a massive update, you'll here people complain that there is to much renovation going on, thats all me and dw heard this march when we were at the mk. remember WDW will never please everybody
And if they didn't let it get this far beyond repair, 1/2 the park wouldn't need to be under construction.

I'm all for change, I actually thrive on it. What I'm not for is riding something until the very end, squeezing every last cent if profit out of a property and then complain that profits are down and blame it on guests not spending enough money (like it's their fault).

lightyearfan
07-12-2010, 02:49 PM
And if they didn't let it get this far beyond repair, 1/2 the park wouldn't need to be under construction.

I'm all for change, I actually thrive on it. What I'm not for is riding something until the very end, squeezing every last cent if profit out of a property and then complain that profits are down and blame it on guests not spending enough money (like it's their fault).

on this i totally agree i can't see how disney is complaing that guests aren't spending enough money, we were there in march and the parks and stores were jammed, with plenty of people buying stuff. i've even made comment to dw about it. even the street vendors have plenty of people, so i would like to see how they can say that people aren't spending. i mean me and dw do all of our bookings threw the WDW website and were not the only ones, they have to keep in mind that they have our money already, before we even get there.

victor

indytraveler
07-12-2010, 03:32 PM
While a 5th theme park would be nice its not practical at this point. many valid reasons listed already, so not to re-hash, but I wouldn't be surprised if one was added within 15 years.

I remember when epcot first opened in '82. It wasn't the best of economic times and half the park was dark. Only a few countries had pavillions opened and some never materialized. So if there is room to build this park I wouldn't put it past them not to build it. After all they did buy up Marvel comics and I'm sure they were wanting to put a theme park around that to compete with Universal.

Daisy'sMom
07-12-2010, 04:11 PM
I hope they use DH for the Marvel comics. It really needs some love. Of course, AK does too. No more parks until they take care and show some attention to the ones they have now.:mickey:

Plex
07-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Wow! I didn't think my random fantasizing about WDW opening a new park would turn into such a debate!

I'm not sure how far they can really take Ak in terms of being a 'full day park' considering their issues with the animals. Sure they have plenty of room for expansion, but there seems to be a fairly delicate balance with closing time.

I really don't see DS as a half-day park. The shows themselves take up half the day. Then there's Star Tours, Rocking Roller Coaster, and ToT. Plus some great restaurants. Sure it could probably use some love, but I really see nothing wrong with this park at all.

IMHO one of the biggest problems that WDW has is overcrowding on busy days. Wait times can get pretty outrageous, and I think spreading crowds out over a larger area would help to make the experience more enjoyable during peak times. Plus there's so much material that Disney has to work with and other possible themes for parks.

On the economics of the issue, MK, Epcot, and MGM all opened during less than favorable economic periods. It does seem like there's a bunch of small projects in the works right now. The Pleasure Island closing/replacement and the Fantasy Land expansion are pretty big moves. I'd also say that there could be room for some water park expansion and addition.

Scar
07-12-2010, 09:51 PM
IMHO one of the biggest problems that WDW has is overcrowding on busy days.
A very wise philosopher named Yogi Berra once said...

"Nobody goes there anymore... It's too crowded."

Crow
07-12-2010, 10:24 PM
I agree w many things. AK I dont spend a full day in.
HS has been run down some. But Star Tours is getting an update. Backlot Tour isnt as good now. One Mans Dream is going down for a rehab i read...and the Animation TOur, yeah it was said when the animators desks were taken out. But hand drawn is making a comeback.
But who would have thought that they would finish the other half of Pop Centure in this economy..so you never know

DizneyRox
07-13-2010, 03:45 AM
AK doesn't need to close when the sun goes down. They are currently running a Taste of Africa Street Party which ran into the nigttime EMH which was fantastic. The thrill rides are still open and have quite a few people in the queues. So, with a little more to do, AK could easily extend their hours... The problem is without a real nighttime show, like Fantasmic, it will be tough. But, I bet they can come up with something.

Gator
07-13-2010, 08:31 PM
I've been staying 7 or 8 full days at WDW, and it's still not enough to do everything there is. Another park would be crazy :fresh:

Gator
07-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Another thing. I found out that the EPA, in their eternal wisdom:thedolls:, has limited Disney to the number of buses they have in operation on any given day. So Disney has to find out how to transport more and more people using the same amount of buses. I would say it's unlikely they build another park because of this. Those things are crowded enough as it is.

BellesRose
07-13-2010, 09:47 PM
IF and when the economy is better, a 5th park would be great!

Plex
07-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Another thing. I found out that the EPA, in their eternal wisdom:thedolls:, has limited Disney to the number of buses they have in operation on any given day. So Disney has to find out how to transport more and more people using the same amount of buses. I would say it's unlikely they build another park because of this. Those things are crowded enough as it is.

Well they do have possibilities with the Monorail system. AK could use another transportation option. All of the other parks have more than just buses to get to the gate - monorail, boats, even simply being in walking distance from resorts. A monorail line would be pretty awesome :thumbsup:

KAJUNKING
07-14-2010, 03:40 AM
I've been staying 7 or 8 full days at WDW, and it's still not enough to do everything there is. Another park would be crazy :fresh:

I agree, its tough enough to do the 4 parks, and we go regularly, for the average person on vacation how much more would benefit them? For us nuts we have seen it all and would love a new park, but we are in the minority, of the millions our numbers are small, so if its in disneys interest to build a new park I think they will build it in a market that is not already saturated! just one mans humble opinion :mickey:

ChipNDale79
07-14-2010, 08:32 AM

That's interesting, i had never heard that before. If Disney were to ever build a 5th gate, and honestly i think that should be years and years away, then they really should consider extending the monorail at least to the new park. I understand that construction cost for monorails are outrageous, but Disney already owns the land, i would think one of the expensive parts of building a monorail is obtaining the land. (I'm no expert) But then again, what is the return on investment for Disney? Are people really going to go to WDW because they extended the monorail? I doubt it.

But it sure seems like this would force Disney to search for greener transportation.

RBrooksC
07-14-2010, 08:56 AM
What would a fifth gate accomplish except to spread people around more?

What I think their short term plan is going to be is expand and improve their current product.

You can already see that in the money spent on the Fantasyland refurb, which includes The Little Mermaid Dark Ride and the Dumbo expansion. Also, Star Tours 2 and last year's Midway Mania. With speculation continuing regarding some sort of Monsters' Inc. ride or coaster and plenty of room to expand in AK, a fifth gate would be folly.

CaptainSad
07-14-2010, 09:20 AM

First off. The first post that said Harry Potter has taken the Thunder away from WDW is mistaken. Have you been to the parks lately??

And second. This is Disney owned property. I can't see the EPA telling Disney to use only so many busses a day. Heck they can't even decide what to do with the mess in the Gulf. Have you been to NYC? WDW is bigger then NYC and NYC has thousands of busses. Are they telling NYC how many busses they can use. I think not. Add the thousands of Cabs, which is worse?

ransam
07-14-2010, 10:07 AM
"Oh the list goes on:

Even the restaurants are shells of what they used to be. "

I'm going to assume that you go to disney quite often. Assuming that, i can see why you would not like DHS, and i respect your oppinion, .....personally I like it. I get a different vibe from it than i do the other parks. there just seems to be more energy. I love the Muppet show. You say it's outdated? well most rides would be if you went back every year. TS Mania, that's an awesome ride. It is the park w/ the most thrill rides....
I have 3 friends who went to disney for the first time w/ their families, and all three said DHS was their favorite park, besides the MK, and they mentioned the MK just because of it being classic....

haveing said that, back to the discusion at hand. I do think there will be a new park. NOt sure whe, probably not soon...But i can gurantee they are talking about it.
last year when i went to the lunch w/ an Imagineer that they have at Brown Derby (in DHS and a great place to eat). he was talking about Animal Kingdom, and said they had been talking about 4 differnt parks before they decided on AK. I asked what they other 3 were and he smiled and said he couldn't tell me because they are still under discussion.

RBrooksC
07-14-2010, 10:10 AM
The monorail in Disney is done. They are not going to spend the money to extend it. The cost is not in land but in the monorail infrastructure with a good deal of money per section.

I have heard many different amounts so I will not speculate on the actual cost but the current cost would outweigh any benefit Disney would get from more monorail lines.

And before the EPA would limit the amount of buses, it would try to limit the amount of cars on Disney property. Think about it. Take a look at the Disney parking lots. The amount of cars is staggering. So, I doubt the EPA would worry about buses.

Goofster
07-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Another take on this debate is to remember the vast majority of folks are one time visitors or very infrequent visitors to the World. While we might be tired of something that we have seen over and over, it is new and fresh to the first timer.
Personally, I am really excited about what's happening in MK. I also kind of like that DHS and AK don't take 2 days to see. I like to relax on vacation too.

I completely agree with this. Though we might be tired of the Great Movie Ride or the Beauty and the Best Stage Show, there are many Disney newbies (or those that go very infrequently) that these shows are just as new as they were years ago. IMHO, as long as the attraction is still relevant, doesn't look out of date and is entertaining guests, then I think its worthy of having a spot in a park. What I don't like to see is empty space (Wonders of Live Pavillion, fmr. America Sings in DL, etc.) or attractions being ran in a scaled down state from their prior days (Imagination Pavillion). That, to me is unnacceptable, and should be dealt with before a 5th gate is added.

IMHO, I think Disney considers the Fantasy Land expansion to me a 'new park' for the time being.

PopPhan
07-14-2010, 02:45 PM
IMHO, I think Disney considers the Fantasy Land expansion to me a 'new park' for the time being.

Considering what is happening (or planned to be happening - we'll see how much actually gets completed) with the FantasyLand Expansion, that is probably a valid, and surprisingly accurate, statement.

EJS-Houston
07-16-2010, 01:20 PM

victor

I'm with Lightyearfan...between Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Rock'n'Roller Coaster, Great Movie Ride, Fantasmic, the Sci-Fi Drive-In Diner, etc...Disney Studios is my favorite of all the theme parks.

Goofster
07-16-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm with Lightyearfan...between Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Rock'n'Roller Coaster, Great Movie Ride, Fantasmic, the Sci-Fi Drive-In Diner, etc...Disney Studios is my favorite of all the theme parks.

I like the Studios too, but I think it could use a bit more 'studios' to it. What I don't understand is with the number of Disney Channel tv shows that are on right now, why can't any of them be filmed before a live audience at DHS like the Mickey Mouse Club was back in the 90s? Doesn't make any sense to me.

I also didn't understand the closure of Super Star Television (with nothing replacing it for quite a while) and replacing the Monster Sound Show with "Sounds Dangerous" and then that only runs seasonly (if at all).

Like DisneyRox said in another post, The Hunchback show was incredible and to this day I don't understand why it was closed. Beauty and the Beast is fine, but I think DHS could use another stage show.

everyonesmadhere
07-16-2010, 06:38 PM
I find DHS dreadfully boring. I believe that it has potential. Add more rides, like ToT, RnR, ETC...Add more Broadway style show, exhibits, character greetings, and other attractions. I don't see why there is a New York are, when they haven't yet completed Hollywood. Walt envisioned DHS to be a "land" in Epcot, and AK was never even supposed to happen. It's not a zoo, not a theme park, and quite frankly-blah. Disney will never be able to recreate MK, because Walt was a genius.

edhunter28
07-16-2010, 07:45 PM
I think that a fifth park will eventually come into WDW but it would take a lot to build it as quickly and quiietly as possible. given the bad economy and the magnitude of previous park constructions it would be unlikely to see a new park appear in this decade

maxrebo77
07-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Couldn't agree more. My first time vist in Jan77 was incredible. would seem boring to tell now. have been lucky enough to see so many things.

Gator
07-19-2010, 05:30 PM
And before the EPA would limit the amount of buses, it would try to limit the amount of cars on Disney property. Think about it. Take a look at the Disney parking lots. The amount of cars is staggering. So, I doubt the EPA would worry about buses.

First of all, the EPA cannot limit the number of vehicles traveling through any area but a national park due to lawsuits leveled against it by the ACLU. And seldom does a national park or "area of environmental concern" even enforce such a measure. However, they can enforce standards (through massive fines) on a business to ensure low environmental impact. And as a PP wrongly guessed, they can do that on private property.

Second, ever wondered why Disney doesn't actually operate Magical Express? They left it to Mears because that would eat into their own fleet of buses.

Third, ever wonder why buses are extremely limited, and at times non-existant, for trips to DHS from the Epcot resorts?

Fourth, Disney has for the last decade been improving the efficience of their fleet in order to reduce emmisions and increase number of buses. Unfortunately, the gains have been minimal, as has the increased number of buses. Certainly not enough to cover a new park.

RBrooksC
07-20-2010, 07:56 AM
I never said the EPA would limit vehicles. I was commenting on the fact that it is crazy to limit buses because cars outnumber buses so, if anything, the department would limit cars before they would even discuss buses.

WDWNut02
07-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Disney's plan was to create a place where people would never have to leave Disney property during their stay. The removal of Pleasure Island took away the only night life that existed at WDW, forcing an adult who would like to go out off property. I have heard wild rumors about a 24 hour park, that is something I would like to see.

DVC2004
07-20-2010, 11:15 AM
I would just say they need to expand on the parks they have. I agree about PI going and not having enough adult places for fun. I also think HS and AK could use more- just more. What I don't want to see is more playgrounds and character meets.

donnine
07-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Oh the list goes on:

You are so right about everything, especially the best stage show ever, in any of the Disney Parks being 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame" --How I miss that show! Nemo doesn't even touch it.:(

brownie
07-26-2010, 08:54 AM
I supposed I hope they don't add another park. There's still a lot we haven't done in the existing parks!

LudwigVonDrake
07-27-2010, 07:33 PM
To the OP one word: Nope :D