PDA

View Full Version : Bakers--please help!

Carolanne
07-11-2010, 08:03 PM
I was supposed to have a BBQ/party yesterday (7/10) to celebrate my parents' 40th wedding anniverary, but my parents asked me to cancel it due to horrible weather & the soonest it could be rescheduled is next Saturday (7/17).

Unfortunately, the cancellation was so last minute that it was too late to cancel the cake I had ordered from the bakery. I have a 1/2 sheet cake poundcake w/buttercream frosting (possibly a true buttercream, but it could be the sugar frosting some bakeries call butterceam). I thought I would freeze it until this coming Thursday or Friday to defrost for the party, but it won't fit in either of my freezers :(. I wrapped the box with plastic wrap to close up any openings & put it on the bottom shelf of my fridge--any chance the cake will hold in the fridge until until next Saturday & still taste good, or do I need to just face facts & order a new cake?

I hate the thought of pretty much throwing away almost $70 :(, but I get the feeling I'm going to end up doing just that & buying a new one (I don't think I'd want to send any home with anyone since it will be a week old by Saturday, right?).

The horrible weather we were supposed to have? It was over before the party would have started. And then the sun came out, almost as if to mock me, LOL!

Thanks in advance :mickey:

SBETigg
07-11-2010, 08:31 PM
I would just eat the cake or share it with friends, coworkers, neighbors, and buy a new one (unfortunately). I don't think it will keep. To be honest, since it's already frosted, I don't think it would have frozen well either. Some people would disagree, but I just don't think it would hold up well.

DizneyRox
07-11-2010, 08:51 PM
I'd order another... Even a cake a few days old would be apparent, after a week, I wouldn't feel comfortable serving it to anyone (not even my dog).

Carolanne
07-11-2010, 08:58 PM
I don't think it will keep. To be honest, since it's already frosted, I don't think it would have frozen well either. Some people would disagree, but I just don't think it would hold up well.

I'd order another... Even a cake a few days old would be apparent, after a week, I wouldn't feel comfortable serving it to anyone (not even my dog).

:( Ah, this is what I was afraid of. I think I needed to hear it from others to validate what I was thinking (and I guess I was hoping against hope...). Thanks.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-11-2010, 09:45 PM
I too would order a new one. My rule of thumb is toss stuff after 4 days. That's what my father taught me and he was a health inspector.

Carolanne
07-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Guess who's eating cake right now :blush: ?

I called my parents & asked them to come over tomorrow & take some home with them. Maybe I can pawn some off on my neighors. I'd take it into work with me, but we had cake overload last week. While I see nothing wrong with having a slice of cake, oh, every day, my co-workers were pretty much in a sugar coma as of last Friday.

Thanks again everyone!

Pirate Granny
07-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Soup kitchen or food bank...they never get treats like cake
:pirate:

Dznygrl79
07-12-2010, 09:00 AM
In food service a good rule of thumb on frosting with cream is 3 days after that 1) the cake becomes stale 2) milk or cream based frosting can start to become questionable. And while I agree its a lot to pay for another cake you want it to be a celebration and cake can be a vital part of that, since you have a week would you consider making one yourself so its not as expensive. You could bake the cakes Thursday and ice them Friday night or Saturday morning.
As far as the cake you have you could box and freeze some and give away the rest ! Hope you have a great party this weekend!

Jillirose
07-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Soup kitchen or food bank...they never get treats like cake
:pirate:

:ditto: I always bring extras like cake to our homeless shelter here in town.

plutosnana
07-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Guess who's eating cake right now :blush: ?

Your making me hungry!
I'd get a new one yes, Frozen cake locked up for seven days just makes the cake awful!

:goofy:

garymacd
07-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Just checked with my oldest beloved daughter - the apprentice chef in the family.

You shouldn't get sick from a week-old cake, but it may not be presentable, it may be stale, the icing may have lost the sharpness in detail and it may be a bit chewy.

But, like others have said, co-workers will always eat cake, shelters will dive into it and have it gone in an hour and I know my family would just soldier on through and take care of your excess cake challenge - in about two days!