PDA

View Full Version : Newby to Southwest

Belster
07-11-2010, 01:23 PM
I have never flown Southwest....but with the prices of airfair I am considering it.

Can you tell me how they differ from United and American? I know someone once told me you get your seat assignments when you get there and that you can be separated from your children....is this true?

I will save 300.00 if I book through them....another option is Jetblue but they do not offer any straight through flights....ugh!! What to do????

bjb1124
07-11-2010, 02:00 PM
I have never flown Southwest....but with the prices of airfair I am considering it.

Can you tell me how they differ from United and American? I know someone once told me you get your seat assignments when you get there and that you can be separated from your children....is this true?

I will save 300.00 if I book through them....another option is Jetblue but they do not offer any straight through flights....ugh!! What to do????

Don't worry! I fly SWA all the time. The way seat assignments work is that 24 hours before the flight, you get on the computer and check-in. The closer to the 24 hour mark the better. The first check-ins get category A and a number in line. The numbers go from 1-60 then start B 1-60 etc., depending on when you check in. (One time I got A1 - which was before the business class benefits) Then when you get to the gate, you queue up according to your number. If you do not get sequential numbers for you and your kids, but are close together, I've never seen a problem with the family queuing together.

When you get in the plane, you can sit anywhere you want.

If you get a B or C, then between A boarding passes and B, they board families with small children. If you have small kids, and don't have an A boarding pass, this is when you can board.

They also have a new feature called early bird check-in. For $10 one way, they will check you in at 48 hours. You don't have to do a thing. I like it because I don't have to remember to be at the computer right at the 24 hour mark to check in. It pretty much guarantees you an A boarding pass if you book early. So for you, you would still save over $200 from United or American.

The other highly touted feature is that SWA does not charge to check luggage. Both the others do ($25 per bag I think). That adds up too.

Hope this helps!

Belster
07-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Thank you so very much for the information. I really appreciate it!!

I think I am going to give them a whirl. :mickey:

Mendelson
07-11-2010, 03:03 PM
And even if you do get separated....I've never found that making my child another person's problem for the duration of a flight was a bad thing. ;)

#1disneyfan
07-11-2010, 04:36 PM
We fly them all the time too, and have never been separated from my family. They offer $10 guarantee for priority seating now also. Which ensures you get first boarding passes.

kemps@wdw
07-11-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm new flying SW as well, (actually new to flying to WDW on any airline), and if this question is a little off subject, please forgive me, but concerning the subject of what is allowed as carry-on and what has to be "checked"...I'm unsure about toiletries. Do they have to be in a certain size bottle? Do they have to be in your checked bags? And if someone in our party is insulin dependent, what are the procedures on taking his medication onboard? Thanks, in advance, for your help, and sorry if I'm in the wrong post area.

faline
07-12-2010, 09:16 AM
The information you are requesting is not unique to Southwest but applies to all aircraft. The rules are set by the TSA (http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm). I think their web site will provide all the information you need to asnwer your requestions.

madhatterrules
07-12-2010, 09:18 AM
I fly SouthWest regularly and I've never had a problem; just be sure to logon exactly 24 hours prior to your flight to be sure you get an A boarding. You will line up in order and walk onto the plane where you will choose your seats.

They are a great deal.

Definetly use them if you can.

BigRedDad
07-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Another "trick" to Southwest and their new paid boarding policy is to buy one ticket separate from the group. Pay the $10 for that one passenger. Board at the front of Group A, carry on all the bags and stuff. Once on, plop your stuff on a seat to "claim" those seats for the other. Depending on how many people are in your group, this can save some money. $10 each way for one person is not bad.

RBrooksC
07-12-2010, 10:12 AM
How old are your children? That does make a difference because if they are under 5 years old, you may board with "Family Boarding" which is between the "A" and "B" groups.

If not, just make sure your print your boarding pass home right at the earliest point you can. If you do, you will have no problem. And, if you do get a later boarding pass and, you might get separated, just let the Ops agent or FA know and they will work with the passengers to get you some seats together.

I have never seen a request denied when it comes to a parent and their children sitting together.

PopPhan
07-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Another "trick" to Southwest and their new paid boarding policy is to buy one ticket separate from the group. Pay the $10 for that one passenger. Board at the front of Group A, carry on all the bags and stuff. Once on, plop your stuff on a seat to "claim" those seats for the other. Depending on how many people are in your group, this can save some money. $10 each way for one person is not bad.

This is 'cheating the system' and is frowned upon by Southwest. If there is a problem due to 'seat saving', you COULD be put off the plane. Yes, it HAS happened in the past.

One more thing: It is against INTERCOT policy to promote 'cheating the system' in any way - Disney or otherwise.

Belster
07-12-2010, 04:18 PM
How old are your children? That does make a difference because if they are under 5 years old, you may board with "Family Boarding" which is between the "A" and "B" groups.

If not, just make sure your print your boarding pass home right at the earliest point you can. If you do, you will have no problem. And, if you do get a later boarding pass and, you might get separated, just let the Ops agent or FA know and they will work with the passengers to get you some seats together.

I have never seen a request denied when it comes to a parent and their children sitting together.

Good to know. I have a 5 and 2 year old...as well as a 13 year old.

Thank you again..

wildernesslady
07-12-2010, 10:00 PM
We love to fly SW. Their customer service is the best. You should not be separated from your family.

DisneyFr33k
07-13-2010, 05:08 AM
We've flown other airlines and now only fly SW when we can. A big difference we've noticed (and it could just be conindidence) is that SW is always on time. We've never experienced delays. And, on certain holidays, they offer free drinks. On Valentine's Day in 2009 they were offering a choice of two free alcoholic drinks. :marg: However, the turbulence was so bad, the pilot had all the stewardesses seated and they couldn't serve. :(

Belster
07-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Looking forward to my flight!!:mickey:

momofdisneyprincess
07-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Good to know. I have a 5 and 2 year old...as well as a 13 year old.

Thank you again..

Up until this point I have exclusively flown SWA. However, AirTran is $400 cheaper for us even after the fees so we will be trying them for the first time. The boarding process with SWA does sound confusing but it is very orderly. Given the age of your youngest, you will be eligible for family boarding. Check in as close to 24 hours ahead as possible. Even if you don't check in until you get to the airport, you will be eligible for the family boarding and can board b/w groups A and B. Your family will not be split up. The seats are 3 across so keep that in mind. I usually sit with both kids and put my DH in front of my little one as he tends to kick the seat sometimes. Do not do as a PP suggested and only purchase EBCI (early bird check in for 1 person). On the flights I was on the flight attendants were requiring all bags to be removed from the seats as they have an open seating policy. Again, with a young one you can family board and not be split up. The flight attendants are always so wonderful. Enjoy your flight. :mickey: BTW, if you have a web enabled phone you can also check in using that. The concierge at the hotels, as well as guest services in the parks will also check you in.