PDA

View Full Version : At what point do they actually charge to your credit card that you have on file?

Daisy712
07-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Hello everyone!
We are receiving two $500 gift cards when we arrive in 10 days. I am planning to use my room key to charge from the park, so I don't have to haul around a $500 gift card. It worries me that it will get lost. They will stay in the safe. I plan to pay off the room charges with the gift cards as we go along. Are these still the limits for the resorts?

values - 500
mods - 1000
dlx - 1500

I don't want them to charge through on my reserved credit card if I have reached my limit. I want to use the gift cards to pay. Can I request that they contact me when we get close to the limit? Does anyone have another strategy on how I can make this work?

Also, my 17 year old son will be wondering with a friend around the parks for the first time. I want him to be able to charge food to the room key, but I don't want it to be a $1000 max on that key. Can I ask that he only have access to say $125?
Thank you for answering all of my questions.

Belster
07-11-2010, 10:18 AM
If you wait through the duration of your trip...your card will be charged at midnight the day before(or of )check out. I would go every other day before going to the parks to settle up the account. This is what we do because we always pay cash.

As far as your son I am not sure but would imagine that you could change the max amount of charging allowed.

Joannelet
07-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Hello everyone!
We are receiving two $500 gift cards when we arrive in 10 days. I am planning to use my room key to charge from the park, so I don't have to haul around a $500 gift card. It worries me that it will get lost. They will stay in the safe. I plan to pay off the room charges with the gift cards as we go along. Are these still the limits for the resorts?

values - 500
mods - 1000
dlx - 1500

I don't want them to charge through on my reserved credit card if I have reached my limit. I want to use the gift cards to pay. Can I request that they contact me when we get close to the limit? Does anyone have another strategy on how I can make this work?

Also, my 17 year old son will be wondering with a friend around the parks for the first time. I want him to be able to charge food to the room key, but I don't want it to be a $1000 max on that key. Can I ask that he only have access to say $125?
Thank you for answering all of my questions.

They have your credit card number on hold at the main desk at check in. On the last day you can either have the whole thing just charged to your card or you can go and pay it as you want at the front desk.
I doubt they'd be able to tell you when you are at your limit etc. but you can check in daily to see what will be charged to your acct or to take care of your bill the way you want to.
You can give access or no access to the people with you. Meaning your son will either have charging access or no chargin access....there will be no limit set on him though if he is given access.....

gerald72
07-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Using only information I have readcon here, and not through personal experience, they will tell you that your son can't have his own limit/ charge to a different card. Because it is difficult for them to do. But apparently it is possible. I hear if you ask for a manager, they can set individual limits.

BrerGnat
07-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Just buy your son a gift card with an amount you are comfortable with and tell him that's all he gets for when he is on his own, so spend wisely.

Carolanne
07-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Just buy your son a gift card with an amount you are comfortable with and tell him that's all he gets for when he is on his own, so spend wisely. I'm not a parent, but I like this idea & if I was a parent, I'd do it.

aurora, ariel, and bell
07-11-2010, 11:36 AM
I am also not familiar with the gift card, but couldn't you put that on your account, so it automatically uses gift card first, then they would start charging the card once the amount of the gift card is used up?:confused:

forever a child
07-11-2010, 11:51 AM
For our recent trip, I did not attach a Credit card to the room. I gave them my gift cards and I already had a credit. So between the GC and the existing credit...that is what we used to charge to our room key.
As pp stated, you may be able to have limit for son to charge...but more than likely not. I would go with the suggestion of having son have gift card.

OR, since you will be receiving two gift cards upon check in...I would decide how much you want son to have, say $200. Ask them to take one card and attach $500 in full credit to your room and then for 2nd card...have them attach $300 of the $500 to room. Give son the card with the remaining balance on it and problem solved!

Daisy712
07-11-2010, 01:02 PM
For our recent trip, I did not attach a Credit card to the room. I gave them my gift cards and I already had a credit. So between the GC and the existing credit...that is what we used to charge to our room key.
As pp stated, you may be able to have limit for son to charge...but more than likely not. I would go with the suggestion of having son have gift card.

OR, since you will be receiving two gift cards upon check in...I would decide how much you want son to have, say $200. Ask them to take one card and attach $500 in full credit to your room and then for 2nd card...have them attach $300 of the $500 to room. Give son the card with the remaining balance on it and problem solved!

I will try to do this. Thank you for letting me know.

Daisy712
07-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Just buy your son a gift card with an amount you are comfortable with and tell him that's all he gets for when he is on his own, so spend wisely.

This would work. Thank you.

Ian
07-11-2010, 01:03 PM
I am also not familiar with the gift card, but couldn't you put that on your account, so it automatically uses gift card first, then they would start charging the card once the amount of the gift card is used up?:confused:Yes ... I've done this before. You basically use your GC as a CC and they charge against that.

CleveRocks
07-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Your resort is NOt set up to contact you as you reach your room charge limit. Your card WILL be charged if you reach the room charge limit before the early morning of your check-out day. You can keep track of your receipts. You can also go to the desk as often as you want and get an up-to-the-minute print-out of your room charge activity, to help youknow how close you are.

You CAN set up two separate room charges within one room. Here on Intercot, we've learned this from a specific poster who knows first-hand how to do it. He says to tell the front desk you want to set up a "SHARE" and that if the cast member has never heard of it you should ask them to ask their lead and/or consult the Front Desk Manual about how to do it.

SBETigg
07-11-2010, 01:59 PM
You can go to the desk and ask for a statement of your room charges/check your balance at any time. Sometimes we do it at the end of each day or every few days just to have the record of what we've spent and where to keep us on track and make sure it all adds up. At this time, you can pay any balance in any way you choose, not just with the card on file. You don't have to wait until it all adds up at the end.

Also, you can (we always do) set charge limits individually when charging to the room. We give the kids each a charge limit and it helps for peace of mind in case they lose their cards and don't realize it right away as well as keeping them on track for spending.

beckylovestink
07-11-2010, 02:56 PM
we do not have credit cards just a debit card. I was going to give them this for the room at check in but wasn't sure if they would accept it.
However, I think now I will get a couple of gift cards and give it to them to use for charges...love the idea and never would have thought about it!
thanks!!

Does anyone know if you can give them a debit card as opposed to a credit card?

Briansmom
07-11-2010, 04:27 PM

Yes, that is what I always do. :mickey:

Zawadi
07-11-2010, 04:39 PM
We register a credit card.

However, with it being a UK card, we also keep track of our WDW charges and often payoff some of the bill with our the dollars that we purchased prior to travelling to WDW.

CleveRocks
07-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Happily, Disney treats debit cards EXACTLY as they treat credit cards. They don't place a hold on it, they don't pre-charge anything, and they don't even check to see what your available balance is.

TheVBs
07-12-2010, 04:42 PM
They don't have to automatically charge your credit/debit card either. If you let them know that you'd like to sign off on the charges, then they'll wait. The snag you may hit doing that however, is that if you reach your limit and you're in the parks wanting to charge something to your room, it won't go through.