PDA

View Full Version : Could I get som,e feedback on All star Sports resort?

mrmcgiv
07-11-2010, 12:07 AM
We are doing a split stay this summer. 5 nights at AKL and 2-3 nights at a value, I waited too long to book the value resort stay (room only) and we were only left w/ Sports available at the 30% discount.

I have heard some negative reviews on sports, most esp due to the big groups of kids. my kids are 9 and 6, so we are used to kids , but I surely do not want to have a huge group of someone else's kids to drive me nuts on vacation. My kids do plenty of that on their own! I aLSO THINK MY KIDS WOULD APPRECIATE THE themeing at one of the other values more.

Our stay at sports will be 8/16-19 which is during free dining too(we are not getting free dining yet I think this may effect availabilty at resorts) .i could try to book one of the other values and pay full price $82/night (I think) or keep sports at $57.40/night and hope for the best???

Comments on the resort? WWYD?

also, what is happening at disney on 8/18, that is the night that I am having a problem getting a resort other than sports. The 16th and 17 had availability???

Rekenna
07-11-2010, 12:13 AM
We have been to Sports before and it's fine. I don't think it is necessarily better/worse than the other All Stars. I think you will be okay. Don't drive yourself crazy second guessing. If this is where you can get the deal than just go with it!:mickey:

There is some really cool themeing at Sports and I think the pools and foodcourts are nice. We love Values, of course we have never gotten to stay at a Deluxe (maybe someday), it will be okay!:thumbsup:

Dsnygirl
07-11-2010, 01:29 AM
Not sure what's happening on Aug 18th, but I wouldn't worry about Sports... my DH and I stayed there once b/c it was the only value avail during a special promo, and although we were a bit unsure, we actually ended up liking it! We were in the football building, so close to the pool and main building, but not so close you could hear everything going on around the pool. We also overlooked a very quiet little courtyard, and it was lovely & private. (It was also our first time ever at a value, so we found the huge decor kind-of fascinating, and my DH is a sports nut, so he liked it, anyway... ;))

So, I say go for it unless you really want different amenities in your room... we also have 2 children, and think we would find travelling with them at a value would be a bit tight, we prefer the mods or a deluxe when they're with us. (Larger bathrooms, 2 sinks, more storage, etc.)

But if size isn't the issue, I think you'll enjoy it! :thumbsup:

DisneyDadfromPittsburgh
07-11-2010, 06:57 AM
We stayed there twice and liked it alot. The pool is great. The transporation to and from the parks the same as other resorts. The food court offers many different choices and there is ample room to find a place to eat.

Rooms are smaller but that comes along with the value resorts.

Enjoy!

Strmchsr
07-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Sports is great. It's just as clean and nice as the other All-Stars (and actually much cleaner than Movies). You shouldn't have a problem with groups of kids during the summer. That's usually throughout the year with the various sporting events. Sports still has the Disney feel to it, as much as any of the other values (except Movies, which is the most heavily "Disney" themed).

DisneyWFan
07-11-2010, 09:13 AM
We had a good trip there around the same time of yr. in 2008. I see that alot of people complain about AS Sports in early December when Pap Warner is there. But in August I think you will be fine.

E-OR
07-11-2010, 11:15 AM
The first time we went, 16 years ago, we stayed at ASsports. Since then we have stayed a couple more times. We thought that it was so cool. Our kids were about your kids' age and really loved this resort. It feels so Disney! It does not have all the ammenities of the Deluxe you'll be staying at but I like the values. They are clean, have a great food court, pool, and store. Are your staying here first and then moving up to AKL (our favorite resort)? We have done this kind of split before too. Enjoy your stay!

Pirate Granny
07-11-2010, 11:20 AM
We were in the football bldg also...facing the football field...it was fine. We were on the third floor. The cm make sure there are no groups on the sports field after 10pm...and it was vey quiet...even though there was a cheerleading competition going on that week. We weren't bothered by a lot of young people...both the main and the baseball pools were normal crowds...go and enjoy..why aren't you getting free dining? Regular room rate is only $25 more a night and with four people free dining it would more than make up $25 a day.
:pirate:

mrmcgiv
07-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I feel better about it now. It was not a question of not to stay at a value. We are deifintely stayng at a value those last three days. My concern was all of the talk about the large groups of screaming kids from teams etc

Also, by looking at the theming of all of the values - sports was our last choice. We were trying to decide between the other three values - but our choice was made for us. Sometimes when things like that happen it works out for the best.

Movies looked most disney themed and my son would have LOVED all of the BIG movie characters. My daughter loves music and would have loved all things there and Pop is usually the most suggested value - sports was off of our radar. Oh well!

I read a recent thread which said "it is not which value to stay at, it is which value NOT to stay at and that would be sports", so I got worried.

I do feel better about it now and for $57.40 a night I can't go wrong! I am glad I booked it last week b/c now there is NO value availability for those 3 nights at any value. It is the 18th that is the problem again - so something must be happening.

mrmcgiv
07-11-2010, 01:58 PM
We are getting our package while we stay at AKL and getting the $750 Gift card promo(we check in on 8/11). In order to get the free dining we would then have to buy 2 day park tickets(whcih we could have used on a later trip). I considered doing that but then decided not to b/c chances are next time we will get some kind of promo and need to get the park tix then too. I was very torn though about switching the trip to get free dining, but then we would have probably stayed at a moderate resort and my husband really wants to try AKL. We will use the $750 Gift card toward our dining and we will not feel so tied to dining reservations as we will book less table svc.

We were in the football bldg also...facing the football field...it was fine. We were on the third floor. The cm make sure there are no groups on the sports field after 10pm...and it was vey quiet...even though there was a cheerleading competition going on that week. We weren't bothered by a lot of young people...both the main and the baseball pools were normal crowds...go and enjoy..why aren't you getting free dining? Regular room rate is only $25 more a night and with four people free dining it would more than make up $25 a day.
:pirate:

WDW*Dreamer
07-11-2010, 05:17 PM
The DW, DD, DS and I stayed at Sports for our first family trip in 2001, and we we're absolutely bitten by the Disney bug that trip. It was a very magical trip for us. My kids loved the food court, pool, gift shop....everything about it.

I recently travelled through Orlando on a business trip and snuck away to WDW for a couple of days. I stayed at Sports and had a great time. I do have one small suggestion for the people at Sports. The pictures of athletes on the wall of the lobby are getting a bit faded and dated. They need to update those to players today's kids might recognize.

Not a magic-killer, just a suggestion.

Hope you enjoy your trip.