PDA

View Full Version : Luau

minnielove
07-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Has anyone done the luau at the Polynesian? We have a 8yr old and a 5 yr old going, will they enjoy it?

DizneyRox
07-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Me? I'd rather be waterboarded than to sit throug the luau again... Horrible food and a boring show, service was nothing to speak of either.

minnielove
07-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Wow.. I have just talked to few people that said it wasnt all that.. so I wanted to see what everyone else thought who has done it

RedSoxandPatsfan
07-10-2010, 09:58 AM
We did it Jan 2nd. It was very cold and they cancelled the second show because the temp dropped below 50°F.

We thought the food was ok. Some was really good and some not so good. Overall we thought the show was a bit corny. Kids weren't too into it until the end with the last guy.

We were glad we tried it once, but we would not do it again. Visiting Poly was awesome though, I will have to stay there at least once, someday.

Scar
07-10-2010, 10:26 AM
We thought the food was ok. Some was really good and some not so good. Overall we thought the show was a bit corny. Kids weren't too into it until the end with the last guy.

We were glad we tried it once, but we would not do it again.
:ditto: Except without the kids, and I don't remember any food being really good.

Although I think I'd choose seeing it again over getting waterboarded. ;)

Tinker Fan
07-10-2010, 10:41 AM
WOW, we have been to the Luau 3 times and loved it all 3 times. Food was great, our kids were 7 and 9 the first time and the 2nd time we took my mom and she loved it, their cousins went the 3rd time and all loved it also. My kids are asking to go back again. We go usually the end of Sept. to first of Oct. so weather was always great for us. We would definitly go again.

disney1122
07-10-2010, 11:52 AM
We loved the luau when we went - Sept '08. Food was great, service was great...show was great! We had a nice experience. Watch the seating though if you go. We had priority 1 seating and were front tables, center, so that made it nice. We've had friends get stuck behind a pole and not able to watch the show very easy.

akaDisneyDreamer
07-10-2010, 11:56 AM
We are doing the luau in August for the first time and really looking forward to it. From the posts I've read, it seems you either love it or hate it. I plan on loving it! I guess we'll see ... :mickey:

elmjimmlm
07-10-2010, 12:50 PM
We just came back and it was one of those "been there done that, not gonna do it again" places... On the dining, it's not worth 2 credits IMO... The food was ok and the show was ok... Just take this advice, don't go in June... Ceiling fans are not enough air in the heat and humidity... There is nothing like a sweaty meal to make you not want to go back...:blush:

LandFan
07-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Not a fan. Of the food or the show. Especially for 2 TS. It used to be really good a long time ago but now... not so much.

misspriss
07-12-2010, 10:11 AM
My family loves the Luau. We do it on every trip. The show is always the same, but that doesn't bother us any. My son loves it, too. On the last trip he was 8. Our upcoming trip, he will be almost 10 and he is still looking forward to it. We think the food is excellent. It is one of my favorite meals at DisneyWorld. So I guess it really is a matter of personal preference. :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
07-12-2010, 12:01 PM
We did the luau in Nov. and enjoyed it. My boys were 9 and 7 at the time and they seemed to really enjoy the show. The food was alright, nothing to rave about, but not horrible either. I don't know that we'd do it again. For us it was one of those "lets do this one time as a special treat" and I don't know that we'd spend the money to do it again. Definitely worth one try to see for yourself.

#1donaldfan
07-12-2010, 12:49 PM
YIKES...what a horrid, terrible, over the top bad experience.....bad food, terrilbe show, horrible seating (tier 2), I should've done tier 3 that way I would have not even been forced to see anything....it was so darn hot, hardly any air moving...it was just so bad from the greeting and picture to the end (which I left way prior to the end with our DS)....

I know Disney can do much better than that....I just cannot describe how horrible it really was....it's our first "real" bad experience at Disney, EVER !! YUCK !!!

Disney Penny
07-21-2010, 12:06 AM
It is probably worth going to once and decide for yourself. The food is just ok at best. The show is not as good as the original show before they changed it to the present one. The theme of the show is corny, otherwise the band and the dancers are very good disregarding the story of the show. I don't know if you can request not to be put behind a pole, but our last experience was soooo bad I regretted booking this dinner show. We paid for the category 1 seats hoping for a good view and I got my choice of looking behind one person's head or looking behind a pole. It was very difficult to see the show. If I could have gotten my money back and walked out at the start of the meal and show, I would have! :lei:

#1donaldfan
07-21-2010, 12:25 PM
It is probably worth going to once and decide for yourself. The food is just ok at best. The show is not as good as the original show before they changed it to the present one. The theme of the show is corny, otherwise the band and the dancers are very good disregarding the story of the show. I don't know if you can request not to be put behind a pole, but our last experience was soooo bad I regretted booking this dinner show. We paid for the category 1 seats hoping for a good view and I got my choice of looking behind one person's head or looking behind a pole. It was very difficult to see the show. If I could have gotten my money back and walked out at the start of the meal and show, I would have! :lei:

AMEN !! We were on the DDP, I would have traded my 2 TS credits for a snack credit if they would have allowed it !!! Popcorn without butter n salt would've been an improvement !!:thedolls:

smokester653
07-21-2010, 06:27 PM
So im thinking that maybe we should cancel our upcoming ressies in Oct. We are on the dining plan & maybe we should go eat at Ohana & another TS instead! ;)

DizneyRox
07-21-2010, 07:12 PM
So im thinking that maybe we should cancel our upcoming ressies in Oct. We are on the dining plan & maybe we should go eat at Ohana & another TS instead! ;)
Given the choice between two meals and a 2TS meal, the better value is the two meals. If you really want to use 2 credits for one meal there are SO MANY other better possibilities than the Luau.

I'd let the credits go to waste before I went back...

Laughin' place
07-21-2010, 07:48 PM
I am both a huge fan of anything Disney-corny, as well as one who loves cheesy Polynesian. Staying at the Poly has been a lifelong ambition, and we always do Ohana, and Lapu Lapu's at the bar (!!)
That being said, I think the risk outweighs the reward on the Luau. The prior show was much better. The food at Ohana is far better, and the room is comfortable and there is plenty of entertainment. Two TS credits is a lot to gamble on, esp with young children. I agree that the show is really substandard.