PDA

View Full Version : Retiring At Disney

WDW*Dreamer
07-09-2010, 03:54 PM
I have decided that my retirement plans definitely include moving to Florida and working at Disney. My DW is hip to the moving to Disney part; however, she says when she retires that’s it…no more working. I can’t imagine a better "job" than spending my days in a Disney park helping each guest have the best Disney experience possible.

I’m still looking at about 15 years of the real world before making this move, but I’ve decided to officially include this in my retirement planning.

I’d like to hear from others who have successfully executed this plan. How hard is it to get a job in the parks as a retiree? I’m talking something basic….in a store or restaurant. What’s the pay like…I expect minimum wage is probably the norm. What about benefits? Did it work out the way you dreamed?

I know a lot can change in 15 years, but DREAMING is a part of my Disney mindset.

WDW*Dreamer

wdwnutz
07-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but this is my plan too! I'm about 13 years from my eligible date to retire from my job. :mickey:

Strmchsr
07-09-2010, 05:31 PM
There's a whole lot of folks out there with the same idea and, yes, Disney does hire a lot of retirees. It's not hard to get a job with Disney as long as you're willing to work for minimum wage. They have tons of positions open at that level. Something higher up is much harder to come by. You can go to the Disney corporate website to see the available jobs and to apply.

crltkcagle
07-09-2010, 06:28 PM
This is my husbands dream as well. Shoot if Disney paid better he would be dressed as Tigger jumping up and down in the MK every day! LOL

momef3grls
07-09-2010, 09:07 PM
I watch the job boards in my profession. Occasionally there is a posting but I keep my hopes up. 11 more years to retirement from my current job then moving to the south! Not sure if hubby is moving with me or not :D but it is the dream.

mickeys_princess_mom
07-09-2010, 10:02 PM
I would LOVE to do what you're planning to do, but my family won't be moving to Florida, so I'm dreaming of doing something for Disney from home or here, but I don't know where to start on that. Follow your dream! :high5:

jakeofwildwood
07-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Dreamer, I am right there with you.

I am a 37 year old childhood disability worker with the government. Right now I have 20 years of service (yup, I was 17 when I started) and get to retire from Federal employment at 25 years of service and any age.

My plan is from age 42 to 62 work for Disney and set myself up for a private sector and government pension. For my entire adult life my job has revolved around babies that are born impaired, children who have been hurt, just horrible stuff. To end out my working life in the Happiest Place on Earth seems to balance the karma scales for me. DW is interested in moving South, though she too says retirement is just that, being retired. She will support my new vocation and happily sit on a bench near my new posting to support me (and net free Mickey bars).

Best of luck, see you there!:mickey:

Camping Mom
07-15-2010, 05:10 PM
When we were there at Christmas we met several people who were retirees working at Disney. One was a former police officer who comes and works the Christmas season at the Candlelight Processional as a security guard. They bring their trailer and stay in it. He said he and the wife LOVE it. No, the pay is crummy but if you are retired, it should be just for fun, right???

pixiesmimi
07-18-2010, 09:24 PM
DH and I are thinking of doing the same thing. I figured DH would roll on the ground laughing when I mentioned I would love to move down there and work at WDW when we retired and he said, yeah he could handle that. :D I figured it would be hard to get hired there though. Maybe not?

kemps@wdw
07-21-2010, 10:50 PM
That has been mine and DHs plan from the time we started going to WDW waaaaay back in 1980! We always said when we had kids and they graduated and went off to college, we'd make the move and work for the Mouse! Well, DD graduates in 2011! :grad: I realize that the pay may not be that good, but sometimes, it's not always about the $$$. So, we'll see if our long term plans will become a reality! Would also love to hear from those who have made the move and your thoughts...good or bad!

Tigerinvestigator
07-22-2010, 02:13 PM
I always talk with the older security officers at WDW, and most are retired police officers (seems like most are from Chicago for some reason). I would love to retire to Florida and work security later in life. My DW and I just need a small house near the ocean with one palm tree and very little grass to mow. Maybe two bedrooms so the grandkids can come visit one at a time! Better make that two palm trees so I can hang a hammock in the yard......well probably doesn't matter I will spend all my free time at WDW anyway!

brownie
07-22-2010, 04:50 PM
These are my plans, too. I would love to "retire" to the Orlando area and work at Walt Disney World.

magicofdisney
07-22-2010, 05:50 PM
It would be great if Disney was full of CMs that wanted to be there because of how much they love it.

I think working there because you have to makes the pixie dust wear off rather quickly (or so I've been told).