PDA

View Full Version : Confusion

GrmGrninGost
07-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Confusion is what I'm feeling about the LeBron James story. I feel bad that Cleveland could not get better players so he might have a chance to win a championship while he was there. But, I also feel he has dashed an entire cities (or perhaps states) hopes of ever having a championship basketball team. I am torn as to how I really feel about it all. I'm wondering how others feel about it. :confused:

btharvey
07-09-2010, 07:53 AM
Art Modell should feel better now.;)

But I'm afraid Cleveland fans will start to become more like Philadelphia fans of old (the Philadelphia "Boo-Birds" ... and before anyone gets upset at the epithet, I grew up there and understand the mentality of the self-ascribed name). I hope they don't, and I hope the Caveliers win the next championship, just for spite.

Mr. James did what he did for totally self-interested reasons. He wanted a trophy, not a game, not people to like him or to help a community. Money and fame. Pretty much sizes up Mr. James, don't you think?

JROriole8Fan
07-09-2010, 08:32 AM
I actually applaud his decision. He made a choice to win and make himself happy. He could have made more money elsewhere, but that didn't change his decision.

gueli
07-09-2010, 08:36 AM
For clevland it is city in mourning. They hoped that King James would win the title for them. The fans are upset at him. And rightly so... but

for Miami- there is joy. They believe they have the beginning of a championship team. They hope for glory.

Keep in mind Lebron never kept his intentions about winning a championship to himself. He gave clevland a clear indication of what he wanted (the rest of the team to be championship caliber). Up until some trades last year they did not get the job done. too little to late.

As far as money & fame btharvey, - I have to disagree. He took less money and he already has the fame. but if he never wins a championship he will be percieved like dan marino- a great QB who never won the big game. If he gets his championship ring, then he will percieved like a mario lemieux, tom brady, Michael Jordan, scottie pippin, Shaq, etc etc...a winner. A guy who got it done.

Lets face it, with todays atheletes its all about winning. Most are vastly overpaid. Many have a great amount of fame. But what they all want is to win 'the big game'...the championship (of whatever sport).

For cleveland - hey just remember you have eric 'mangenious' mangeni :D

For Miami - good luck...

diz_girl
07-09-2010, 10:55 AM
He gave Cleveland seven years, which is a lot. He stuck close to home when he could have received more money in a larger city. I think that he made the move to Miami to play ball with two of his best friends and hopefully be on a championship-caliber team. I wouldn't consider it selfish that he's trying to achieve his dream of a ring. Isn't that what most players are doing? Good luck to him.

Scar
07-09-2010, 11:18 AM
I think his legacy will take a hit there. Will he win championships? Most likely. But what if somehow he doesn’t? He will be considered an absolute bum if he doesn’t. Even if he does win a bunch, it’s Wades team, Wade has already won one without him. Winning a championship there three years after they won one, with two other great players already there won’t be nearly as impressive as if he had gone to, say, New York, a team that has been awful and hasn’t won in 40 years.

As far as the “less money” aspect, remember, Florida has no state income tax.

PirateLover
07-09-2010, 11:59 AM
I don't have a problem with him switching teams, but the way in which he did it. Why all the fanfare? Why put your fans through that? I thought it was pretty classless to have an hour long special about your 'decision'. Also, it was reported in the media well over a week ago that he was headed to Miami. He even had rooms booked at a hotel for the weekend. Yet he claims he made the decision yesterday morning and really struggled with it. Yeah, ok.

As far as the money, what he sacrifices in salary he'll more that recoup in international endorsements if he does win those championships. He's a businessman. And yea, it is a selfish decision. However, one could argue that there are times in all our lives when we are allowed to be selfish. If he doesn't win a championship, he will certainly have some considerable egg on his face.

gueli
07-10-2010, 09:52 AM
I don't have a problem with him switching teams, but the way in which he did it. Why all the fanfare? Why put your fans through that? I thought it was pretty classless to have an hour long special about your 'decision'. Also, it was reported in the media well over a week ago that he was headed to Miami. He even had rooms booked at a hotel for the weekend. Yet he claims he made the decision yesterday morning and really struggled with it. Yeah, ok.
... He's a businessman. And yea, it is a selfish decision. However, one could argue that there are times in all our lives when we are allowed to be selfish. If he doesn't win a championship, he will certainly have some considerable egg on his face.

As to why the special- lets face it there was so much hype about his 'decision' why not announce it on your very own special...I din't watch it but were there commercials ? It seems like a money making idea...

Also I am appauled by the Clevland owner's 'statement' on their website.
sure he felt dissed, but lets face it when he rejected your offer & hadn't spoke with you in a month, you would think that the hint was made. What a classless and calous response.

although it should make any clevland miami game a 'grudge' match...

ah but what do I care- its almost football season
:mickey:

Scar
07-10-2010, 10:40 AM
...I din't watch it but were there commercials ?Yes, including a well placed bottle of Vitamin Water next to Lebron. They said they donated $2M to Boys and Girls Club.

Jeff
07-10-2010, 10:53 AM
He did what he thought best for him- and most of us would do the same! I hope it works out for him just as I hope things work out for my coworkers who leave for different positions n different towns.

Athletes are not ellected officials, and despite his nickname, he is not a King. He is free to pursue his dreams as he sees fit. He is not bound to one city.

Also, I don't accept the "argument" as valid that he owes Cleveland and the owner because they made him rich. His talents made him rich. The owner paid him for his talents, he did not magically bestow those talents upon Him. He was paid for his services as are all of us who hold jobs.

God bless America, personal freedom and free enterprise!

Scar
07-10-2010, 10:59 AM
He did what he thought best for him- and most of us would do the same! I hope it works out for him just as I hope things work out for my coworkers who leave for different posotions n different towns.

Athletes are not ellected officials, and despite his nickname, he is not a King. He is free to pursue his dreams as he sees fit. He is not bound to one city.

God bless America, personal freedom and free enterprise!:ditto: Absolutly!

And Cleveland fans also have the same freedom to complain and hate him.

Donald A
07-10-2010, 05:30 PM
I was born in Akron, Ohio, have a degree from the University of Akron and The Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine in Cleveland and lived just outside of Akron for the first 3 decades of my life. I now live in Pittsburgh.

I take it personal, however, though I am not a huge Cavs fan (Hockey is my current love). What I take so personal is LeBron's attitute. Statements like "I give back to Akron just by being here" get to me. The whole drama and announcing his "Decision" on an hour long primetime show was over-the-top. It was humiliating to the good people of NE Ohio who just want to have a winner.

I truly do hope that The Cavs win WITHOUT LeBron before he gets a ring. I would not be heartbroken if he never wins a Championship.

A couple points:
1) His Legacy is ruined. He isn't good enough or won't work hard enough to win a Championship on his own. Did Michael Jordan ever say I am leaving Chicago (after several years of not winning) to go play with Isiah Thomas? I guess LeBron needs to ride in another's coat-tail (Ie, Wade) to get that Championship.
2) The quote "I am taking my talents to South Beach" is annoying. South Beach is a neighborhood in Miami. I am told the Heat don't even play in South Beach. Are they the Miami Heat or the South Beach Heat? It shows to me that he wants to party it up. He can go down there and have fun and not work hard. He said himself that down there he won't have to make 30 points every night.
3) It is just sad all around that this is such a big deal. Leaving to play a game is not a big deal. I mean how is LeBron helping make the world a better place. I just didn't think he respected the people of NE Ohio or the other cities very well. LeBron wanted attention and he will be getting a lot of bad attention everywhere outside Miami for perhaps the rest of his career.

Scar
07-10-2010, 06:06 PM
The quote "I am taking my talents to South Beach" is annoying. South Beach is a neighborhood in Miami. I am told the Heat don't even play in South Beach. Are they the Miami Heat or the South Beach Heat? It shows to me that he wants to party it up.Yea I was a little confused when he said that. Actually South Beach isn't even in Miami, it's in Miami Beach, a completely different city. Although, to be fair, my football team from New Jersey calls themselves "The New York Giants" so, oh well.

Ian
07-11-2010, 08:50 AM
I'm confused, as well. What is this "basketball" you speak of? :sleepin:

DAKustodial
07-12-2010, 11:56 PM
1) His Legacy is ruined. He isn't good enough or won't work hard enough to win a Championship on his own. Did Michael Jordan ever say I am leaving Chicago (after several years of not winning) to go play with Isiah Thomas? I guess LeBron needs to ride in another's coat-tail (Ie, Wade) to get that Championship.

This, to me, sums up exactly how I feel about LeBron leaving Cleveland. He all but admitted that he doesn't have it in him to lead a team that hasn't won in forever to a championship. This ends Jordan/Kobe/LeBron debate for me. LeBron will never rank up there as one of the best ever, no matter how many rings he gets now. He had to go somewhere else where his buddy has already won a championship to try to get one himself.

Also, the fact that he didn't let Cleveland know ahead of time that he wasn't coming back is ridiculously disrespectful and ungrateful. The city loved him and the team paid him a fortune to play there and he didn't even have the decency to give them a heads up before running off to Miami...that's totally classless.