PDA

View Full Version : This just in: The Magic Kingdom is boring

MaxPower
07-08-2010, 03:21 PM
My neighbor just got back from a first-time trip to Walt Disney World and I was surprised to hear her family's review of The Magic Kingdom.

She and her husband took their 11 year old son and 10 year old daughter for five days and the kids liked all of the parks except for the Magic Kingdom.

The kids described it as boring.

When I asked the boy what was boring about it - he specifically stated that the Jungle Cruise was "lame" and that Space Mountain was like a kiddie roller coaster. ( He was expecting a big drop at some point).

The girl said that a lot of the time, you just rode through things and looked at mannequins ( She was referring to Pirates of the Carribean - but also mentioned The Haunted Mansion, Hall of Presidents, Country Bear Jamboree, Peter Pan, Snow White, Pooh and It's a Small World as additional examples.) And she has a point - the Magic Kingdom has a lot of attractions where you simply sit and look at mannequins.

Everyone of course has hastheir own tastes, but from our conversation it made me wonder if today's youth could be unimpressed with the attractions that are imagination-based and were considered cutting-edge decades ago.

Not surprisingly, they loved all of the thrill rides: Tower of Terror, Expedition Everest, Rock N Roller Coaster plus other star attractions such as Toy Story Mania, Soarin, Test Track, Splash Mountain and Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger spin.

In a nutshell, these two kids liked everything that was not just a sit-and-look attraction.

With our current I-phone/downloadable apps/video game based society, is the Magic Kingdom becoming a park that's really just a playground for the pre-school set and a comfortable relic for the nostalgic old-timers who fondly remember the Magic Kingdom in its heyday?

Can the Magic Kingdom really impress kids aged 10-16? Or is it boring?

BluewaterBrad
07-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Great post. I will be interested in the replies. We do not have any children, but the main reason we visit so often is to be able to use our imagination. Once again great post.:mickey:

DizneyRox
07-08-2010, 03:50 PM
We spend the least amount of time at MK on all our trips, we'll usually end up spending like 2 1/2 days on a two week vacation.

Definitely our least favorite, most hated park.

cajundisneyfreak
07-08-2010, 03:52 PM
I strongly disagree.My kids and I love Magic Kingdom.My boys are 12 & 18.It's our favorite park.It's where all the magic happens.In fact my 18 yr.old loves Carousel Of Progress.We sing the song the whole time we're in there."It's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of everyday." Magic Kingdom is always our first and last park to visit on our trips.What can I say? We are disney freaks.:mickey:

plutosnana
07-08-2010, 03:52 PM
I know my 12 year old sister loves MK and so do my other siblings. It's not boring for me. Maybe the kids looked up to someone who thought WDW was a joke? Either that or they could be thinking that their high and mighty. Some kids r just like that. They think their too old for that. Since their 10-12 year olds of course!

:goofy:

Michelle15
07-08-2010, 04:05 PM
I love MK :thumbsup: I do agree that some kids who play video games a lot are going to be more geared towards the other parks.

Jillirose
07-08-2010, 04:10 PM
We have two kids, ages 12 and 15 now. They have been to Disney 9 times in as many years. The trend has been to spend less and less time at MK, both because of the type of attractions and the crowds. We get there early, ride all the faves (Splash, Pirates, Space, Haunted Mansion) and dash!

Scar
07-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Maybe the kids looked up to someone who thought WDW was a joke?That's similar to what I was thinking. I can see the parents repeating over and over, "This place is boring... let's go ride some real rides." :rolleyes:

disney1122
07-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Magic Kingdom and Epcot are our faves!

14 yr old and 5 yr old - they both love MK! Sure, there are rides that the 14 yr old doesn't like as much as our 5 yr old, but she just loves the atmosphere at Disney....Does she LOVE Snow White's Adventure, no, but its a classic ride.

We are in love with Disney!

wdwnutz
07-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Disney is all about the magic and using your imagination! Imagination is a wonderful thing!:mickey:

Rosanne
07-08-2010, 04:31 PM
This is an extremely interesting post!

I think it takes a certain kind of people to enjoy Disney. If you are in it for the cheap thrill, then Magic Kingdom isn't the place for you. Neither is EPCOT really.

I also think that 10-12 is a difficult age. Kids that age disagree just to disagree. Older teens, 20 year olds, etc. enjoy feeling like a kid.

Tell them to go to Universal next time :-D. Just kidding, Universal fans... maybe.

SBETigg
07-08-2010, 04:37 PM
I think the two kids in question are quite possibly unimaginative and dull, sorry to say, and not that the MK is boring. My kids were 8 and 10 on their first trip and they are 17 and 19 now, and still do not find the MK boring. It's their favorite park, though they also love the thrill rides and the other parks. I know lots of kids who love the "sit and look" attractions. I would not use those particular young specimens as gauges into the minds of kids everywhere or assume that they speak for their generation. :)

ali'sdad2003
07-08-2010, 04:50 PM
I can understand that taking kids for the 1st time at that age would result in that kind of response. I think, if you start taking the kids when they are younger, that the rides are not just entertainment but they become special because of the memories that go along with them. If you are looking for "Great America" type of rides, Disney is not the best place to go. You either understand the "Magic" or you don't. The "Magic" is why I keep going back. I imagine others feel the say way. The thrill rides are great but I would not miss any of the classics for anything.

DizneyRox
07-08-2010, 05:08 PM
We spend the least amount of time at MK on all our trips, we'll usually end up spending like 2 1/2 days on a two week vacation.

Rereading this it may be confusing. It's two half days, NOT two and a half days. A total of maybe one day over a two week period.

Stu29573
07-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Nope, it's not boring. The kids may be a bit jaded and may be trying to be cool, but the fact that they missed the point is their own issue, not the Magic Kingdom's. My daughter is now 20 and her favorite park has always been MK by far.

Thrill junkies may not get it, and that's ok. There are plenty of other places they can go to get their fix. (I tend to think that always going for the bigger thrill is a dead end in the long run, however. Everything gets surpassed. everything becomes boring eventually if there is no imagination involved.)

But if you want a place that stirs the imagination and warms the soul, it has to be the Magic Kingdom. :mickey:

Daisy'sMom
07-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Isn't sad that alot of today's youth don't want to use their imaginations and think they have to be entertained each and every moment? :mickey:

gollybass
07-08-2010, 05:50 PM
I'm 26 and I love the Magic Kingdom, its just about being in another world, where ghosts are around and animals talk. For the record I play video games too! Some people just don't get it I suppose, and as other posters said, are just boring.

Disneymom4ever
07-08-2010, 05:51 PM
My boys absolutely love the MK, and they are 14 and 17! Then again, they grew up going there, so maybe that could have something to do with it. Perhaps first time kids might not appreciate it as much-just looking for thrills. We have so many wonderful memories from that park! As a matter of fact, we just went to Cedar Point for my boys, so they could have their thrills on coasters. My 17 yr old just said this morning, it was ok, but the magic was just missing, like you get at Disney. He would rather just go to Disney. Yep, my boys "get it". :mickey:

AllDisney
07-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Funny to see this post. Years ago we knew this family that took their 2 boys (5 & 8) to WDW for the first time.

I was shocked when I asked how the boys like it. The mom said the boys looked forward more to stopping at South of the Border than WDW (this was way before video games). They wanted to hang out at the Holiday Inn & swim in the pool all day! They took the boys back a few years later (boys 9 & 12)......same thing.

They never did go back. Go fig!

forever a child
07-08-2010, 06:16 PM
I took my DD at ages 9, 10 and 11 to WDW. When she was 12 years old I announced "Guess where we are going for spring break?" Her reply hurt me deeply, "Not Disney again!?" Well, no in fact we were going to go to the Grand Canyon and go white water rafting and camping in the canyon. But still, I was hurt that she had that attitude towards our Disney trips.

Move forward now to age 15. DD and I had been trying to get back to WDW for almost a year. I had left my job and was going back to school full time, so we had lost the ability to take the expensive vacations we used to take. Our last vacation was when she was 13 (I had pre-paid the year before I left for school) a package deal for a trip to Florida and Sea World, which we had not yet done. But we started watching our last trip to WDW from our 6 days of video. My DD announced "Boy, I was little bit of a spoiled brat." Well, yes, perhaps a little and it also was just that age! She announced how much she wanted to visit WDW again and how great-full she would be to get to go again.

Well, we finally got to go again this spring; she was 15 years old for this trip. We had SUCH a GREAT time! She posed for photos, she rode all the rides I wanted and changes plans with me a couple of times when I just got tired. She helped carry the bag when it seemed hot and heavy and I tried some new rides with her that she wanted to try. We worked together and both had a great time. We got back home and both decided we wanted to go back.

MK is our favorite park (followed by Epcot as second place). We try to start and end our trip there. She loves POTC, Philharmagic, she wants to try Dumbo on our next trip. We love the train, Peter Pan's Flight, Snow White, of course Splash Mt, Space Mt, the people mover, Buzz lightyear...all the fav's.

Perhaps it is an age thing. I think my DD will always love WDW. I don't see her outgrowing it! I am glad she saw how she behaved as a child and even that she has had to go without for a while cause I think it has made her more greatful and less "spoiled". I never hear "this is boring" coming from her lips.

Plex
07-08-2010, 06:19 PM
I actually just had a similar experience with one of my friends. He's 23 and went to WDW for the first time and only spent one day there. They went to Epcot for the day and his reaction was that 'it's for 10-year olds'.

I used to be one of those folks that thought WDW was for little kids and wasn't all that exciting, too. Then I went twice and became a DVC owner :thumbsup:

MK in particular I think has some issues winning over non-Disney folks. It's still not my favorite park by far, although I do enjoy it. There really is a lot there that's very "Itchy and Scratchy Land" in MK, and if you don't have an appreciation for it, it comes off as pretty lame. If you don't feel the magic, and you don't have an appreciation for everything that goes into the place, what is there for you at MK?

Let's be objective of a moment here. If you strip off the theme of these rides they're not extraordinary. They may have been state-of-the-art when they were made, but many of these rides now have some seriously outdated technology. Big Thunder and Space Mountain are awesome rides, but if you ignore the ambiance, they're pretty mediocre roller coasters. If you go to pretty much another other amusement park you'll go higher and faster - but you won't be riding through the dark in a space ship! If your expectation of a roller coaster is a 200ft drop at 80mph and inversions, Space Mountain just isn't all that impressive.

The 'dark rides' are in no way technologically advanced and tell stories that a lot of kids haven't really been introduced to in the same way that the rest of us have. If you didn't grow up watching Pooh on TV, is that ride all that much fun, or impressive in any way? If you don't have an appreciation for the Carousel of Progress (what it was when it was released, what the history of it means, etc) - it's it just an obsolete ride with an annoying song?

MK walks a tough tightrope as far as attractions go. It immerses you in a world of fantasy conceived almost 50 years ago. There's a need to stay true to the original vision and maintain the classics that the current fans love while making the park appeal to upcoming generations. It's a hard balance to maintain for sure.

T-Belle
07-08-2010, 06:21 PM
For my 3 children, my DD in particular, Magic Kingdom means just that-Magic! All of us Disney-nuts know what that is-even if we have a hard time describing it to non disney people. Tho their young adults now the Magic Kingdom has always been a first day and last day must. My 2 ds are gamers and avid thrill ride seekers yet still appreciated the detail and amazement of the annimatronics(sp) and the attention to detail. So, I agree with the posters that it's probably the ages of these children.

lionprincess9
07-08-2010, 06:22 PM
I just wanted to add that I'm 14 years old, and I personally do not find the Magic Kingdom boring. I love it!!!! Maybe it's because I've been going to WDW since I was a little girl, but personally I can only think of one ride I have ever thought was boring (Hall of Presidents). But maybe that's just me...

1DisneyNut
07-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Magic Kingdom has always been our favorite including myself, my wife, 15 yo son, 9 yo son and especially 8 yo daughter. Our 8 yo daughter has the magic in her and is also a planner. She wants to know every detail of the trip and helps with the itinerary (I am a planner also). Some people just don't get and don't have that magic in them. My cousin always goes to Universal because he says WDW doesn't have enough roller coasters and he doesn't want to sit and watch shows or kid rides...he just doesn't get it.

DisneyNut6777
07-08-2010, 07:08 PM
What a fantastic post!! And great replies too. I am 43 years young and have been to WDW quite a few times over the years, first time as a child with my Mother and Father in the early 70's. Maybe that is what did it. Grabbing on to some of my youth. I don't know for sure, but I'll tell you this I feel the same way now when I get there as I did when I was much younger. The Magic never dies or gets bored for me. I took my wife there for her 1st visit almost 4 years ago when she was 29, and she loved it. I will remember the smile on her face as she stood by the horse that pulled the trolley down main street when I got a picture of her. Things are different today, alot of the things nowadays are faster, and more high tech. Things change. But hey, Magic Kingdom it's fine with me if you stay the same! If I want fast and high tech, I can take a day out of my 8 day WDW vacation and go elsewhere, but I know I'll stay where my heart will play. :mickey::mickey:

disneymom2000
07-08-2010, 07:09 PM
When posts and polls are put on the board asking which park is the favorite - almost overwhelming the choice is MK. I doubt that many poll takers or posters could be that out of touch with the real world. I have been several times and as tradition I have to go to MK on my first day in the World. It is that walk down mainstreet and the parades and seeing the castle and the families having their pictures taken together. There is nothing like the magic of that initial walk that could ever change for me. I think these were abnormal kids that probably just don't understand what it is all about. Also, they went during peak season when they probably had to wait in long hot lines to do a 2 1/2 min ride. Maybe they weren't used to that. It's sad that some kids can't enjoy a kid's paradise.:(

buzznwoodysmom
07-08-2010, 08:22 PM
My boys absolutely love the MK, and they are 14 and 17! Then again, they grew up going there, so maybe that could have something to do with it. Perhaps first time kids might not appreciate it as much-just looking for thrills. We have so many wonderful memories from that park!

My thoughts exactly. My boys are 8 and 10 and they love MK. They love all the parks and the 8 year old is a thrill ride junkie, but he still loves and appreciates everything at MK. I do think them growing up going there has a lot to do with it. My kids know what "classic Disney" is all about and they enjoy that part of WDW as much as they enjoy the new more thrilling rides.

Ksmith75
07-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Kids these days just dont appreciate having simple and innocent fun. I love MK...just walking down Main St, it feels so amazing. My DH and I saw many kids walking around with thier arms folded and angry....My famiy stopped taking family vacations when we were 14, I would have loved to have gone to Disney...but never did till I was 31. Looking back I cant imagine myself being angry and miserable on a vacation.

Scar
07-08-2010, 08:46 PM
When posts and polls are put on the board asking which park is the favorite - almost overwhelming the choice is MK.I'll take this point miles further and try to put this to rest. The MK is EVERY YEAR the most attended theme park on earth. Thank goodness there are people who don't like it... imagine how much more crowded it would be if everybody liked it.

#1disneyfan
07-08-2010, 09:49 PM
I disagree with those kids!

We still take our DD14 and she loves MK. As she calls it, it is the original WDW park! She loves to spend the most time in MK and Epcot. She loves rides, but values the history and imagination in seeing other things as well. We never miss the classics!

Where else in the world can you go and forget your daily problems and become a kid again?? Even my DD who texts constantly, forgets her teen issues and lets her hair down and enjoys herself immensly. Of course, she is also not a kid who sits in front of a tv playing video games 24/7 either. I think that has a ton to do with todays kids. They need to get out and explore and enjoy life!

Just my opinion!!

:mickey:

ransam
07-08-2010, 09:55 PM
i love magic kingdom. but i do see how people would think that. in the days of computers, and modern technology, watching the peter pan ride or small world may not be the most exciting thing in the world.

marlyn
07-08-2010, 10:01 PM
I feel really fortunate to have boys with as much love for Disney as I do. They are now 15 and we were just at WDW in March. I decided, upon their urging, to book another trip for August. They can't wait to get back. I asked them if they wanted to take a couple days to go to Universal or Seaworld as well since we were just at WDW....both boys said NO WAY! They love all aspects of the parks. They don't seem to be jaded as many teens are and iIam grateful for that. I actually credit Disney for giving them that.:mickey:

chefmickey3
07-08-2010, 10:28 PM
My 8 yo (and 6 and 4 yo too) love MK! Haunted Mansion is there favorite with Pirates as a close second. They love the coasters and can't wait to ride the new Space Mountain, but love Country Bears and Tiki's too. I think the get it because they have been going since they were infants. This month will be my DS8's 9th trip to Disney. They definitely "get it".

CuteAsMinnie
07-08-2010, 10:36 PM
I think that if you are not brought up on Disney, introducing two teenagers, or tweens in this case, to the Magic Kindgom for the first time will probably result in a lame reaction to it. They quite honestly are too full of themselves to see past the nose on their faces or look beyond the exterior to see the real magic in something.

We just returned from our....7th or 8th trip and DS is now 14 and DD 17. We stayed for a week as usual and I believe we went to MK at least a half of dozen times. They were brought up on Disney and I'm happy to say riding Pooh and Peter Pan with DS was almost as magical as when we was 2 1/2. He refused, however to have his pic. taken with Pooh and Tigger because he was way too cool. Tigger fixed this. He saught DS out in a shop in Epcot where the Pooh and Tigger were meeting and I think if DS did i not throw his hands up in the air and say OK Tigger, you win...Tigger would have thrown him over his shoulder and carried him to Pooh! Afterwards, DD thanked me for "making us" taking pics w/ Pooh and Tigger.

Have a Magical Day.:mickey:

CaptSmee
07-08-2010, 10:44 PM
While I love MK...it certainly is lacking thrills. Big Thunder & Splash Mtn aren't quite as thrilling as they were 20+ years ago. Disney missed their opprotunity to infuse some thrills into Space Mountain when they failed to update it during it's last rehab. Not much other areas where thrills can be inserted into the park.

agravette
07-09-2010, 12:11 AM
i was able to go to disney when i was 8 years old and we were only there for one day. magic kingdom was the park we went to, and i fell in love with disney! now my husband and i have two kids, age 9 and 14, and we've been going to disney since the oldest was 4. they love test track, soarin, and expedition everest a lot. but their favorite park by far is magic kingdom. even the 14 year old loves its a small world and our 9 year old enjoys carousel of progress. in my eyes, they are true disney fans because they enjoy the classics!:mickey:

everyonesmadhere
07-09-2010, 07:37 AM
You cant judge it by age. Disney is really just a big art installation, and thos who are there for a theme park experience, wont have fun.

Stu29573
07-09-2010, 07:57 AM
You cant judge it by age. Disney is really just a big art installation, and thos who are there for a theme park experience, wont have fun.

Actually, those who are there for a typical unimaginative, freak you out, lose your lunch amusement park experience may not have fun. The "art installation is the theme park experience. The art is the themeing, something Walt Disney created....

Tygger7
07-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Believe it or not, there are people who are not "thrill" junkies...me being one of them. I live within 3 hours of Cedar Point and it's a waste of money for me to go. Why do I want to drive that far and spend a bunch of money and not be able to ride most of the rides? I won't spend the money to do Universal either because for me, I spend the whole day by myself waiting on everyone else to ride rides. From the time I was a kid, I've never liked big thrill rides...and I still don't. WDW is one of the very few places/parks where I can go and do 95% of the attractions. Yet my DH is a thrill junkie and loves MK & WDW as much as I do.

As others have said, I think it's more about your frame of mind than these kids speaking for a generation. My DD17 didn't get her first trip to WDW until she was 10...she loved it then, and loves it even more now. For the first couple of visits, she wasn't into the rides/coasters. But when she hit 13, she started riding the coasters. They were a great introduction for her, and she still loves them.

On a side note, my DH & I went to WDW in May of this year for an "adults only" vacation. We spent 11 days, and most of that time was at MK and Epcot. Those parks feel truly "Disney" to us, and that's what we want. I will personally never be too grown up for MK....and neither will my DH. :mickey:

WVParkfan
07-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Can the Magic Kingdom really impress kids aged 10-16? Or is it boring?

Frankly, the MK is our least favorite park, and our kids are 10 and 16. We LOVE Disney World, but spend the least amount of our time at the MK. Jungle Cruise, Country Bears, Indy Speedway, and much of FantasyLand are simply outdated. It may be nostalgia for a 40 year old, but today's kids know the difference between something new and something outdated.

We feel that Epcot and the AK are much more to our liking, and we spend most of our time at those two parks. That makes us happy, and keeps us coming back.

I recommend to all of my friends who are making their first visit to avoid the temptation to spend all of your time at the MK. It's a great big (Disney) World out there, and you need to see more than just FantasyLand.

Ian
07-09-2010, 08:53 AM
This just in ... Different people like different things! One man's "AWESOME!" is another man's "BORING!" That's what makes the world go round.

I have a daughter who's 8 ... just entering the prime "this is sooooooooooooo boring" phase of life ... and she loves the Magic Kingdom. It's her favorite park and Space Mountain is her favorite ride anywhere.

Clearly MK isn't for adrenaline junkies. If that's what you're into, go somewhere else. Honestly, the entire discussion as to whether it's "boring' or not is almost silly. Some people love basketball ... I think it's pretty boring. I love baseball ... some people think it's boring.

It's all subjective and very, very much based on personal tastes. It's defintely not an "iPhone Generation" thing because I can tell you for certain that there are pre-teens and teens who love Magic Kingdom. I personally think it has more to do with what age you were exposed to the rides ... when you're little if you learn to love them you'll probably love them your entire life. If you first ride them when you're a jaded, annoying teenager then you'll probably find them "boring."

Bay Lake
07-09-2010, 09:00 AM
I really think it has to do with how the parents treat the Magic Kingdom. I know in my family, I am just or maybe more excited to walk up Main Street then my kids. We have been taking our kids since they were infants and go back about every 2 years or so. My 3 year olds face simply lights up when she sees a picture of the Castle on tv, because I tell her that this is the greatest place on earth, and then they start to believe that themselves.

Ian
07-09-2010, 09:04 AM
I really think it has to do with how the parents treat the Magic Kingdom. I know in my family, I am just or maybe more excited to walk up Main Street then my kids. We have been taking our kids since they were infants and go back about every 2 years or so. My 3 year olds face simply lights up when she sees a picture of the Castle on tv, because I tell her that this is the greatest place on earth, and then they start to believe that themselves.Bingo. Totally agree.

Jeff
07-09-2010, 09:18 AM
If it is thrills one seeks, one should attend a "thrill park". There are many such parks across the country and around the world.

However, if it is a delightfully themed fantasy/storybook/magical place one seeks thou shall attend the Magic Kingdom. There are few such "themed parks" in the world!

So let it be written.
So let it be done!

jilwil
07-09-2010, 09:23 AM
It has been a while since I posted on Intercot. However, upon reading this thread I felt convicted to give my :twocents:.

I just pulled DS 17 away from a video game to read this post. His response..."How can you be "bored" when you are on vacation in FL at Disney World?" :confused: He strongly disagreed with the idea that MK is boring!

My sister-in-law (DH's sister) and family went years ago to DW. If you ask her and my brother-in-law it was a big waste of money. Their kids wanted to stay at the hotel pool the entire time instead of in the parks. Also, she said that by the last day DBIL was griping because he hadn't seen "a mouse" all week. This story always amazes me. They just don't get it.

I believe it is a mindset. And, I also believe your experience anywhere on Disney property has to do with two things: research and planning.

For me personally, I am with a previous poster. It is a waste of money for me to go to a "thrill ride park." I am unable to ride most thrill rides because of a bad back. I end up paying a lot of money just to sit on a bench all day. Not at DW! And, not just at MK! There is something I can do at every park while my guys ride the thrill rides!

Finally, I would just like to add that it is the "most magical place on earth!" Unfortunately, the magic is just lost on some people, young and old. I will step down off my :soapbox: now. :blush:

Belster
07-09-2010, 09:36 AM
I cannot imagine even uttering those words..."boring".

All 3 of my kids love all 4 parks...I hope that never changes. :mickey:

Kenny1113
07-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Someone mentioned taking stripping sway the theming...but that's just what makes Disney "Disney". For me it is the attention to detail. And I'm glad my kids get it too. Several years ago when DSs were 6 and 3, we went with some friends. Their kids (same ages) were all about going to the next ride, whereas my kids wanted to take the time (without persuasion from me) to enjoy the details, ie the effects after TT or space mt.

I'm not saying either is right or wrong, just different approaches...

Loweschevy
07-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Isn't sad that alot of today's youth don't want to use their imaginations and think they have to be entertained each and every moment? :mickey:

ITA with you on this statement.

crltkcagle
07-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Mk is our favorite park but my boys are 9, 7, and 5. I know when I was 19 and in college and was all about thrill rides MK was still my favorite park! Guess you just have to have that little bit of pixie dust in your blood. LOL

TikiLounger
07-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Well, this is a very interesting thread. We have been taking our kids to Disney since they were in kindergarten (now they're in college). They LOVE the Magic Kingdom (as do we). My son is 20 and he still has to visit the Shootin' Arcade and Tom Sawyer's Island on every trip. My daughter is 18 and a trip without Splash Mountain is no trip at all. Maybe it's because they get to relive the magic they felt as young children. We have friends who took their kids on their first trip when they were in middle school. The kids HATED it and thought it was stupid. They thought Big Thunder Mountain was SO lame. I just ignore and remember all the fun we've had as a family over the years. My kids will always love the MK and this makes me very happy.

Nascfan
07-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Ian and Bay Lake pretty much nailed it in my opinion. I also have to wonder if this was that family's first trip and how the kids were brought up. Our now 18 year old daughter watched Disney movies when she was younger, enjoyed family time and board games together as opposed to ipods, iphones, and other technological wonders. Her first trip was when she was 5, and she's never been bored at all with MK. In fact, she cries when leaving Main Street for the last time each trip.

We were just there, and all three of us absolutely can't wait to go back and ride all those "boring" rides again and walk down that "boring" Main Street and see that "boring" castle. Someone else mentioned Carrousel of Progress. We miss it so much when we're not there that we watch it on Youtube as a family! A lot of it has got to be with upbringing and how the parents feel about WDW and Disney in general.

SBETigg
07-09-2010, 11:18 AM
I think it could happen at any age. There seem to be people who just get the magic and connect with Disney parks and then people who don't get it and do not understand. Those are the people who say "you're going to Disney World, again?" Or can't believe that adults would go without children. Or think they're just boating by mannequins instead of seeing a whole world of fun and adventure in the details. We're obviously the people who get it and don't understand the "MK is boring" mentality, but to each her own. I don't think it has to do with age or generation.

darthmacho
07-09-2010, 02:46 PM
If my kids ever say Magic kingdom is boring, i'm putting them up for adoption! :mad:
(kidding of course, but they had better never say it!)

dnickels
07-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Like Ian said, different strokes for different folks.

Just because someone doesn't like the Magic Kingdom doesn't mean they're boring or dull or that their parents are a bad influence. It doesn't mean they lack creativity or that they're just plain negative people. Some people love Disney and can't understand why others would spend a whole week in the woods looking at mountains. Others love the mountains and can't understand why anyone would spend a whole week looking at a bunch of plastic and concrete. If everyone liked Disney the lines would be so outrageous we'd never get to do anything. Similarly, if everyone liked Yellowstone many of the park's beautiful resources would simply be trampled to death.

To be fair, if someone took any of us to some completely new-to-us theme park full of the same rides but dressed up with characters and/or stories we didn't know, would many of us actually enjoy it? Pirates of the Indian Ocean with Joe Starling. Sylvia's Castle. Jones family treehouse. Not quite the same effect.

I can see the kids' point, and I don't think there's anything wrong with them having that view. Certainly not enough for me to judge them anonymously on an internet message board. :thumbsup:

Tigerinvestigator
07-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Wish I was being bored in the MK right now!!! Would give my left arm as a matter of fact!:thumbsup:

kemps@wdw
07-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Everything as "lame" or "boring" to kids that age. :rolleyes: Mine, @ that age, thought she was a little too grown-up for MK. Course, that's changed, now that she's older. She not so embarassed anymore to do the things she used to think made her look silly. Although, we probably will spend less time in MK this trip. As for me and DH, the nostalgia factor is a big decider for us to spend time in MK. Our fave is EPCOT. So much of it is still undiscovered to us, and we will be spending alot more time there this trip!

VWL Mom
07-11-2010, 10:32 PM
When my boy's were small we took my mom along on our trip, the last being the 25th celebration. On our first trip without her I sat down on a bench and started to cry. DS was 8 at the time, sat down next to me, put his arm around me and said mama, remember that song..."it's time to remember the magic". Each time we get to MK he still says that. On our trip last month DS15 got birthdays ears, DS18 got graduation ears, and posed for a picture still grinning ear to ear. So,I agree with the others, it's all about the magic. Some get it, and some don't.

Bellerella
07-11-2010, 10:45 PM
That is crazy!! MK is not my favorite park (I like Epcot, AK, MK, then HS) but it still cannot be missed! MK has its own thing going on, just like the other parks. It has that extra touch of magic... I mean where else can you ride with ghosts, spin in 'mad' teacups, visit a pirate village, plunge down a mountain in a log, and then get your photo taken with Mickey Mouse himself? I was 20 when I first got to go to WDW, and we have gone every year since! (Trip number 3 in 31 days!) Oh well, I suppose that will make for a few less cranky people at WDW!! :mickey:

hubbyofadisneyholic
07-11-2010, 11:01 PM
It is definitely an individual choice, not purely an age thing in my opinion.

Our daughter (age 20) and niece (age 18) have both made numerous trips to WDW starting at about the age of 2.

For the last couple years our niece has been a major pain and made it clear she was not having fun. When we got home from the trip last summer she informed everyone that once she turned 18 we could never force her to go there again. :thedolls:

Our daughter on the other hand is looking forward to our trip next month, even though we were just there in January. She loves the fact that at WDW she can act like a little kid again, wear her Minnie ears and eat Mickey bars at 10am. :mickey:

She understands the magic and my wife and I pray that she never loses it.
Someday we hope to bring grandchildren to WDW and watch them catch the magic as well.

BigRedDad
07-12-2010, 09:55 AM
There is nothing too wrong with their analysis. Much of the MK has not changed in the past ~35 years. The rides are a step above a State Fair, there are no thrill rides there. You can only put paint on stuff for so long to make it exciting. Eventually it will be unexciting.

RBrooksC
07-12-2010, 10:51 AM
There is nothing too wrong with their analysis. Much of the MK has not changed in the past ~35 years. The rides are a step above a State Fair, there are no thrill rides there. You can only put paint on stuff for so long to make it exciting. Eventually it will be unexciting.

Why can't Peter Pan be "exciting?" Does a ride have to be "exciting" to be fun? Everything is what you make of it. While Epcot is my favorite park, MK is they park I always go to the first day in the Parks because it is what "Disney World" is.

No, the "thrill rides" there are tame by Busch Gardens or Six Flags standards. But is that why one goes to Disney or the Magic Kingdom? One goes to MK for the theming and the flights of fancy it allows.

When you go on Space Mountain, you can imagine your self hurling through space. I love the view of "earth" when riding that ride. The silliness of The Jungle Cruise allows you to laugh at jokes you stopped thinking were funny when you were in elementary school.

POTC, Splash Mountain, BTMR, Fantasy Land, all transport you into an alternate reality. The purpose of that park is to allow everybody to be a kid again.

Also, kids will view the park the way their parents see it. If a parent doesn't understand WDW and says, "this is boring" or "I can't believe we rode that ride and looked at mannequins" then the children will say the same things.

For years I didn't like roller coasters because my parents hated them. It wasn't until I rode it with my friends that I learned I LOVED them.

It is too bad there are people who don't understand the concept.

wdwnutz
07-12-2010, 11:56 AM
You either understand the "Magic" or you don't. The "Magic" is why I keep going back. I imagine others feel the same way. The thrill rides are great but I would not miss any of the classics for anything.

Ditto!:thumbsup:

minnie-mouse
07-12-2010, 12:04 PM
it all depends on the age of the children. I personally will always love MK for nostalgic reasons. If they want thrills and adventure, they should go to Disney Studios or Epcot.

Laughin' place
07-12-2010, 02:05 PM
In 08, I took my boys (dyed in the wool, Disney born and bred, aged 15 and 12) and their new step brothers (much cooler, trendier, and decidedly not Disney 15 and 13 at the time). I was very curious to see how my "new" sons would like the World.
They wont ever be as Disney - lovin' as my boys and I, but they had a great time and were not, in fact, "too cool" for WDW. I think they both would rate MK in the upper part of their favorite experiences.
As a Scout leader, football coach, and father of 4 teen boys, I spend a lot of time with teenaged boys of all sorts. I think there are some who are not disposed to whimsy, magic and imagination, just based on their wiring. Much moreso, tho', I think it is how they are reared and what experiences and opportunities they have been exposed to. It is far less about what MK is than what people want or expect it to be.

PinKy
07-12-2010, 02:25 PM
The kids may be a bit jaded and may be trying to be cool, but the fact that they missed the point is their own issue, not the Magic Kingdom's. from Stu29573

I agree. I think some children don't grow up encouraged to use their imaginations on their own very much with the modern/digital age. I also agree though that they're really missing out and not getting the "idea" of the Magic Kingdom.

Or - maybe its just not for them. Some people really are just looking for the BIG thrill rides and are not as interested in the story or the ambience of the surroundings - Great America or similar parks would probably be more fun for them. Everyone has different taste I guess. :-)

Personally, I could sit on a bench in the MK and be perfectly happy. LOL!

Rosemickey68
07-13-2010, 05:00 PM
I think it really depends on your family and how persons are raised in how they feel about Disney.I have met people who have no interest in going to WDW or DL at all for various reasons and think I am stupid for liking Disney. Like others have said either you get the Magic or you don't. Those of us who get it have great imaginations and remember that feeling you get when you first went to Disneyworld or Disneyland, you enjoy seeing the looks on your kids faces when they first see Mickey Mouse. You can step into a Fantasyworld and have a great time with your family and feel like a kid again. I personally think that loving Disney as much as I do, helps me keep my youthful appearance and my heart young!
Until the day I die I will always love Disney and especially Mickey Mouse!!!!:mickey:

Lakin
07-13-2010, 06:41 PM
The Magic Kingdom can only be enjoyed by those with a kid in them. (And you'd be surprised how many kids don't even have a kid in them....).

ShanPooh
07-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Poor kids!
As my mom has been known to say, "Only boring people get bored."

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-14-2010, 09:23 AM
:Kids these days say they are bored all the time, because we've become a society who think its the parents responsibility to constantly entertain them which means always buying things for our kids. I remember birthdays and Christmases being so special when I was a kid because that was the only time of the year we got new toys and games. Okay enough of that soapbox: :soapbox:

I will give my two cents about Magic Kingdom-it is my absolute favorite because it represents what Disney is all about, the whimsical magical experience that is Disney. I don't find that boring at all.

DisneyLuver91
07-15-2010, 11:35 PM
In fact, she cries when leaving Main Street for the last time each trip.

I'm REALLY glad to see that I'm not the only 18 year old that cries when leaving MK and watches CoP on YouTube.... :blush:

LoriMistress
07-17-2010, 01:14 AM
That's pretty interesting. I could see why the kids were bored with MK. A lot of the rides you are just sitting there looking at AAs. The kids may have been raised on parks like Six Flags, Universal Studios, etc. so they may be drawn more to thrill rides.

disneykid@hrt
07-18-2010, 07:10 PM
I can see how some people could feel that way about MK, honestly. I grew up on Disney (hence the screen name) and my family took a trip atleast once a year. When I took my first "adult" vacation, I chose to go to WDW with my then boyfriend (now husband). It was his first trip to WDW and he didn't want to spend more than 2 hours in MK. He didn't get it. As for me, I see the castle and I'm breathless, in tears. "Gimme a minute" :mickey: So now I have decided to take my daughter on annual trips.. I firmly believe that more than half of the reason I love Disney the way I do is because of the memories I have as a child there and I want my daughter to have the same passion for it that I do. People pass on much worse habits to their children than a love for Disney.

Now seeing as many "modern children" don't get caught up in Believing in Dreams and Wishing on Stars... I want her to feel like she has a Happy Place to go to and always be a kid. I think Disney may already have anticipated the evolution of their consumers. Updating fantasyland with Princess themed stuff is taking them ahead more than a few decades and generations. My daughter has much more interest in Ariel than say Peter Pan...

I love it and I'll be going there as long as they let me in.

dinahvixen
07-18-2010, 08:24 PM
I grew up in FLA, and my dad loved WDW, so I do - and I have brought by dd at 4, 6, and 8 - she loved it every time (even new dd 2 had a surprisingly good time - we thought she'd be indifferent at that age - she now calls it her Mickey Mouse World when she see pics). Anyway, my husband who grew up here in Cincinnati doesn't enjoy WDW at all - for much the same reasons - too expensive to go and see dolls while you're in a boat. He does enjoy my excitement and he likes our family time there, but he will never be a disney fan.

Snickerdoodle
07-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Wish I was being bored in the MK right now!!! Would give my left arm as a matter of fact!:thumbsup:

I agree, but I'd like to hold a pineapple float with my left hand :thumbsup:

Stu29573
07-19-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm going to be SO bored in 120 days that I think I'll be in Heaven!:D

JPL
07-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Honestly as a teacher this post does not surprise me at all! It seems every year kids become harder to entertain and not much seems to really interest them.

WDWgoofy
07-20-2010, 04:28 PM
I love Disney (who doesn't at this site?)! While I would never say MK is boring; I will say that it has fallen dramatically.

While it once was my unquestion #1 most favorite park it is my 3rd least favorite today. Since 1984, subtraction has ruled for this park.

Yes, I will agree many favorable attractions have been updated or added, but I believe the total is easily a loss over this period. It is sad; I'm just grateful that Epcot is hanging in there.

When I return in April next year, I might choose to skip MK altogether :nope:

indytraveler
07-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Adding my :twocents: here. My kids were less than 5 yrs old when they made their first trip to the MK. They have grown up with the park and have many memories going there each year. They are now 16,14,& 10. MK is a must do park for us since that epitomizes the Disney experience. We have gone to Six Flags Great America, Kings Island, and Holiday World (for the coasters) and each time we leave they say it's NO Disney. Better yet it's no MK.

Boring, yes if you're looking for thrill rides and all that but no if you use your imagination. However, myself and DW are the first to be excited about going so that must just be absorbed by them.

Fastpasssteve
07-20-2010, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=forever a child;2074625]Perhaps it is an age thing. QUOTE]

I thought Middle School for twelve years. During those years they are stuck between being an adult and being a child. They want freedom and independence...they want to be grown up, but that battles with the Inner Child (the one that some of us never lost). They probably enjoy it on some deep level, but don't want to enjoy it because it's not "grown up."

Perhaps give them a couple years just as 'Forever a Child' did. They will come around.

PopPhan
07-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Yep! MK is boring! So, nobody else needs to go there -- I'll play the martyr and go all by myself!! :D

DisneyorBust
07-21-2010, 07:41 AM
I agee with you PopPhan.......I'll sign up to go to that 'old, 'boring' MK any day!

Goofster
07-21-2010, 01:46 PM
I grew up with Cedar Point less than 3 hours away and didn't get to the Magic Kingdom until 1996 when I was 16 (almost 17) years old. I vividly remember me and my two brothers (14 and 11) heading straight over to Tomorrowland as soon as we got to MK and getting in line for Alien Encounter. We were under the impression that it was a roller coaster....well, after we sat through the show in the circle theater (and being completely confused as to why we the seats weren't on a track, etc.) we had the time of our lives being terrified on that ride. It was something completely different for us.....the same with the Timekeeper, Splash Mountain (we were amazed at the level of theming, detail and the 10 minute length of the ride), POTC, BTMR, and Space Mountain. We had an absolute blast because everything was so different from your standard roller coaster amusement park fare. We all love Cedar Point for what it can offer...but it only goes so far...a roller coaster can only give so much. MK (and its attractions) go beyond a 60 second thrill and gives you imagination, detail, impressive theming and takes you to an imaginary world. I guess you could call that the "magic" part of a Disney experience.

Flash forward to today, I just got back from Cedar Point with my three kids (7, 5 and 3). There were many times where we were split up because my DD7 and DS5 liked the tamer rides, while by DS3 was our little thrill junkie. We all had fun, but there wasn't a whole lot that we could experience together as a family...while watching our kids hit all the rides in Planet Snoopy and Camp Snoopy (and we watched on) my wife and I agreed that WDW really serves Walt Disney's original concept...being able to enjoy attractions together as a family. I think that's the nice part about not having parks where all the attractions take 200 foot plunges and travel 90 mph...not everyone enjoys that...but if you're there for a family vacation, to laugh together and build memories, you'll have fun watching a Country Bear Jamboree and Pirates pillage and plunder a village. Just my two cents! :mickey:

WDW Forever
07-23-2010, 12:08 AM
I have to agree with alot of people. I think that alot of kids these days don't have an imagination. If it doesn't involve a video game controller then it is lame. That makes me sad to see :(

Donald A
07-26-2010, 09:21 PM
I grew up with Cedar Point less than 3 hours away and didn't get to the Magic Kingdom until 1996 when I was 16 (almost 17) years old. I vividly remember me and my two brothers (14 and 11) heading straight over to Tomorrowland as soon as we got to MK and getting in line for Alien Encounter. We were under the impression that it was a roller coaster....well, after we sat through the show in the circle theater (and being completely confused as to why we the seats weren't on a track, etc.) we had the time of our lives being terrified on that ride. It was something completely different for us.....the same with the Timekeeper, Splash Mountain (we were amazed at the level of theming, detail and the 10 minute length of the ride), POTC, BTMR, and Space Mountain. We had an absolute blast because everything was so different from your standard roller coaster amusement park fare. We all love Cedar Point for what it can offer...but it only goes so far...a roller coaster can only give so much. MK (and its attractions) go beyond a 60 second thrill and gives you imagination, detail, impressive theming and takes you to an imaginary world. I guess you could call that the "magic" part of a Disney experience.

Flash forward to today, I just got back from Cedar Point with my three kids (7, 5 and 3). There were many times where we were split up because my DD7 and DS5 liked the tamer rides, while by DS3 was our little thrill junkie. We all had fun, but there wasn't a whole lot that we could experience together as a family...while watching our kids hit all the rides in Planet Snoopy and Camp Snoopy (and we watched on) my wife and I agreed that WDW really serves Walt Disney's original concept...being able to enjoy attractions together as a family. I think that's the nice part about not having parks where all the attractions take 200 foot plunges and travel 90 mph...not everyone enjoys that...but if you're there for a family vacation, to laugh together and build memories, you'll have fun watching a Country Bear Jamboree and Pirates pillage and plunder a village. Just my two cents! :mickey:

It has been several years since I have been to Cedar Point but did go there a lot growing up in NE Ohio. In 2000 I think I went for my last time and I had a season pass that year. Now here in Pitsburgh and even when I lived in Indy, Cedar Point was a tourist destination. My family went a few times when I was little to stay at Hotel Breakers.

I have always described Cedar Point as "big rides and long lines." I mean that stuff is fun but Disney has them beat by a long shot. Cedar Point is probably the best thrill ride park in the world but Disney is probably the best "theme park" in the world.

I remember my wife and I took a trip about 5 summers ago to King's Island. We rode a few rides, almost got hit by a group of teenagers playing with a stick, and concluded the day by riding Son of Beast (I think I would have felt better if I got punched in the face rather than ride that ride). We ended up going to the hotel early and seeing a movie.

I can see that a teenager might find WDW "lame" but at that age maybe they would rather hang out with their friends then take a "uncool" trip to WDW with their parents.

magicalmom
07-27-2010, 08:47 PM
The Magic Kingdom offers only a couple of easy thrill rides, so maybe that's so-so for some teens, but it also offers thrills of the imagination. In addition, it offers parades and live shows, and a place to hang with the people who love you. I think well-raised teens will appreciate all these things, although I expect they'd like you to promise to take them to Cedar Point or Universal next time. :mickey:

And besides: if you're going to take them to AK for EE, and to DHS for RnR and TT, it's not too much to ask that they be cheerful company at the MK.

And: I have always told my DDs that they should never be bored, because they can always check into what's going on in their heads, and if that's boring, then they're boring people. Furthermore, they should always be open to new experiences.

And finally: I am pleased to say that my DDs know better than to tell the person who has shelled out the big bucks for vacation that they're "bored." They wait and suggest alternative destinations for the next trip.

Disney Yankee
07-27-2010, 10:44 PM
To me, The Magic Kingdom is the essence of the Disney Experience. :cloud9:It could never be boring to me, because just seeing the Castle makes my heart soar!!! It's the first place we go when we get to Disney World. Yes, my boys (13 and 9) love Hollywood Studios for ToT and TSM, Epcot for TT and Soarin, and AK for Kali and EE, but we do spend a lot of time at the Magic Kingdom, just because it is SOOO magical!!!:magic:

Pop Centurion
07-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Anyone who thinks the MK is boring should be hit over the head with a sock full of quarters. :silly:

Seriously though, I think people like that fail to realize that the MK isn't about "thrills". They need to have a better understanding of Walt's vision (even though the park has strayed a bit)

I'll admit that before I visited WDW I didn't think I would like it because I figured to be a "boring kiddie park" but once I stepped foot in the park all things changed.
To think the park is boring seems to suggest you have a lack of imagination IMO. The park does a great job at stimulating all your senses and to me, that's much more enjoyable than an all out thrill park.

RocknRoller94
07-28-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm 16, and, going regularly to WDW since my 6th birthday, I'm sorry to say that MK is my least favorite park, although I do enjoy the mountains. My favorite park by far is the studios

Rogerwdwfan
07-28-2010, 06:34 PM
:mickey:To each his or her own I love the MK park, I went there first time when I was 40 and I can't wait to go back each year. It is such a magical place you know where dreams come true.:mickey:

tnpoohbear
07-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Most definitely DISAGREE. This is my favorite park and always will be. My DD is there right now and loves it and she is 19 and has loved it since she was 4.:mickey:

Gibbs
07-29-2010, 02:16 PM
The nice thing about DW is that there is something for everyone!!! I have been to Universal and end up spending the majority of my time waiting for my family to get off the rides. I get motion sickness and can not do anything virtual!!! I also don't like the "feel" of that place .....it's not special. I know that sounds dumb but I enjoy MK for alot of reasons the atmosphere, the rides, the food etc... For me, it is the total package. I have 3 kids 18, 16, & 14 (who can text at the speed of lightning while downloading an app to their I-touch while playing a video game )and they all love and would choose to go to MK over universal any day of the week.

mmbandc
07-30-2010, 02:17 PM
I think that is why DIsney World has more than one park! When our son was younger, we spent at least 2 and a half days of the week at MK and none at Epcot. MK is definitely a place for the preschoolers and early gradeschool kids. Our son is now 7 and he enjoys ALL Of the parks. He still likes MK but we do not spend as much time in that park as we did when he was 3, 4 and 5. I think the parks are all different and unique as are the water parks. Disney offers something for everyone!

NewmanFamily6
07-30-2010, 03:56 PM
I have been wondering the same thing recently. I can remember going in high school and loving it just as much. I hope my children will too. It is really my favorite place to go and you just feel so stress free there:mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
07-30-2010, 09:11 PM
To each his own :rolleyes:

Kaps
07-31-2010, 08:41 AM
boys are 8, 10, 14 and they all love disney in general. All the parks but MK is there favorite. After 6 visits they still want to go back, that is why we are going in Nov. All three ask for the disney trivia game that we play at least once a week ( make up questions regardi ng rides or anything disney). My 10 yr old can name every attraction and where it is located in the MK so I guess it is just the kid. :D

brownie
08-01-2010, 03:16 PM
I think it depends on the teen. Our 13 year old does not care for roller coasters or thrill rides. He'll be just fine at the Magic Kingdom (we'll have trouble getting him to ride Space Mountain!)

I think it may not be thrilling enough for teens in general. If you're looking for an enjoyable time, it should fit the bill perfectly, however.

JabberJaws
08-03-2010, 10:24 AM
I think this is why you are seeing the massive changes to fantasyland, which are aiming for a more immersive, interactive experience. I don't think disney would EVER let the MK become old and decrepit. It is the resort's flagship park. They will do what it takes to keep it up with the times.

Now do I think that means a 300 ft tall giga-coster or a 150 mph rocket coaster? No. But I think in the vein of the Fantasyland upgrade, you will see more and more interactive elements, aimed at getting people involved and making them part of a story. Active rather than passive.

disneymomma2010
08-03-2010, 11:47 AM
i went for the first time when i was 12 and i loved it. We could not imagine going to wdw and not going to the mk on the first day. that would just be crazy, it's the heart of wdw and where it all started, it's the icon for heaven's sake. i hope i don't offend anyone but i think if someone doesnt appreciate it and enjoy it just a little then they may have a little bit of a hateful attitude and may be hard to please anyway.:pixie:

2009 pop century
2007 off site
2003 ASM
1998 POFQ
next oct 2010 CBR!

LauraF
08-03-2010, 11:55 AM
If I wanted to be scared in a 'thril ride' on a daily basis, all I have to do is drive down the highway on my commute from Boston. :thumbsup:

I am not so jaded that being scared is the only way to feel fun. I pity those who cannot feel (or refuse to) unless there is something that overwhelms them. Truly sorry.

For the Bedknobs and Broomsticks fans, it's 'the age of not believing':

When you rush around in hopeless circles
Searching ev'rywhere for something true
You're at the age of not believing
When all the "make believe" is through.
That is simply why I go - I have not lost the attraction to make-believe, and Disney (for all its faults) is the one place that continues to insipre it, year after year. May I never lose it.

On the flip side - let them not like it. That means more room for me! :D

Dsnygirl
08-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Interesting post!! A friend of mine took her girls last year, and they had a similar reaction... but then, their background before their Disney trip was nothing but trips to thrill-ride parks, so that was all they knew & thus enjoyed/expected.

My girls (9 and almost 12, same ages as my friend's children), on the other hand, LOVE Disney and every aspect of it (and it was their first "big" park)... although I will confess to recently playing the "Magic Kingdom" board game with my DDalmost12 and one of her cards was for the HoP, and she described it as her "boring" card. ;)

But -- big note to that -- she's never been in the HoP!! It's been closed for renno's once or twice, and the line was outrageous once and we planned to go back, but never did. So... to her, hearing about Presidents doesn't sound interesting... but the same kind of thing hasn't stopped her from loving just about every other similar kind-of ride everywhere else in the parks.

So -- I'm guessing some of it is based on a kid's past experiences and how old they are when they first visit Disney -- and also maybe how the parents present the attraction. We are so excited about EVERYTHING when we are there that I think our kids just can't help but feel the same! :D

slegrant
08-04-2010, 12:51 PM
The Magic Kingdom is our families favorite, is is always the first and last park we visit. We love Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom, but the Magic Kingdom is special and I understand some people don't get it. My 3 sons are 16, 14 and 9 and all love the MK. Just this trip in July I asked what rides we should do first and my 16 year old son said Peter Pan, the 14 year old said Splash Mountaina and my 9 year old said Pirates. I am so glad they get the Magic Kingdom:mickey:

Fort Willow
08-06-2010, 11:59 PM
I am surprised but I guess they see it differently than me...My parents, sister, wife and I still go together, and it is the same excitement as the first time we went. I wish everyone could experience that feeling! :mickey:

Carolanne
08-08-2010, 10:24 AM
My fave parks in order: EPCOT, MK, DHS, and AK. And as for AK? I haven't set foot in that park, hmm, in over 3 yrs & I don't miss it. While I love Disney, I'm just not an AK person & wish that WDW had an option where you could leave certain parks off your hopper pass because that park would be off my pass. There isn't much in AK that I want to do.

But enough of that ramble! It's already been said: some people are Disney People, some people just aren't.

My mom & I are Disney people. My DH is becoming Disney people. We don't have children yet, but when we do we're already looking forward to sharing WDW with them, and I can only hope they become Disney people (which of course will mean I'll probably need to get over my AK issues, lol).

It took 3 back to back to back drips to render one of my sisters "Disney'd out". She broke her no-Disney rule to take her then 3 y/o son (and overall they had a great time), but hasn't been back in almost 8 yrs & she's fine with that.

This same nephew (he'll be 12 in Dec) wavers on his WDW stance. Ask him if he wants to go when you're planning your trip, he says "nah". But when you're down there having a good time? Not unusual to get a phone call from him where he says "I wish I was in Disney with you guys."

daisyhead
08-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Oh man, that's so sad! I could NEVER feel bored just strolling up Main Street USA, crossing that bridge into Frontierland and getting that Dole Whip, riding in Peter Pan's ship, and then taking a ride in a Doom Buggy. The place is filled with IMAGINATION and that could never be boring! I suppose some people just don't appreciate things like that, though. :mickey:

ANG
08-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Wow, I've never heard it being "boring." I enjoy the MK not only for the rides but the shops, atmosphere, hidden mickeys, character greets, etc.

mickey_M_lvr
08-10-2010, 01:29 PM
I have to agree with a lot of the people on here....kids these day have NO imaginiation. I feel it is very sad. BUT if the MK is "too boring" for you..would you kindly step out of the line so that the few of us that absolutely LOVE it don't have to wait as long. :blush: Just a thought....:thumbsup:

ravsluvdisney
08-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Of course right off the bat you have to agree these two are in the minority based on the daily crowds at MK for the last, oh I don't know, 40 years or so....but at that age and with a generation of "instant" entertainment with DS', cellphones, ipods, laptops, etc. I can see where the young ones are harder to impress than years back. And lets face it, Jungle Cruise for example, kinda boring.

Hey, different tastes for different folks. We actually spend a bit less time in MK now. When our DS' were age range 2-7, we did the autographs and toontown, the caroussel, dumbo, pooh, etc. - no more. we now key on some of the "E-ticket" rides and are enjoying epcot more now that the boys are a bit older.

Of course as a throwback I will always have a softspot for the original land. Hopefully that will hit home with these two down the road....

FloridaTeacher
08-10-2010, 07:29 PM
We all love Magic Kingdom...including my 20 and 13 year old sons!

SelfmadeWade
08-13-2010, 12:58 PM
It seems that Disney is picking up on the feelings of these two kids.

The newer attractions that are not thrill rides such as Soarin, Philharmagic, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor and Toy Story Mania are technologically advanced and instigate a desire for repeat visits.

What was the last attraction added that is one where you just ride through and look at mannequins?

OCDisney
08-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Im shocked as well. I think the Magic Kingdom is the most interesting park in WDW.:-o:mad:

PopPhan
08-13-2010, 03:27 PM
What was the last attraction added that is one where you just ride through and look at mannequins?

If that is all you are doing on the ride, then you are completely missing the story they tell! But, I guess that is the whole point --- unless it's right 'in your face' it gets missed anymore. So sad!

KatrinaJ91
08-13-2010, 07:16 PM
I don't know how anyone can think of MK as boring! It has always been, and will always be, our favorite park. It IS Disney. My girls are now 17 and 22, but have always loved MK.

Reading this post made me wonder about the kids and the family. Did those kids watch the old Disney films, like Peter Pan? I think some of the rides are loved because the movies are loved. I teach 3rd grade and have been surprised (and saddened) numerous times when kids tell me they have never seen some of the classic Disney movies. One year, a little girl told me she didn't know the story of Cinderella!! It made me want to cry for her. So if these kids have not been exposed to classic storytales, it could explain being "bored" (maybe) :confused:

SelfmadeWade
08-18-2010, 10:27 AM
PopPhan,

I was just referencing the original post.

I was curious trying to think of the last attraction that was added that was the type that those children disliked. I think it's been many years since Disney has added that type of attraction.

Although it sounds like the new Little Mermaid ride in Fantasyland will be that type of "sit and look" ride.

PopPhan
08-18-2010, 10:38 AM
PopPhan,

I was just referencing the original post.

I was curious trying to think of the last attraction that was added that was the type that those children disliked. I think it's been many years since Disney has added that type of attraction.

Although it sounds like the new Little Mermaid ride in Fantasyland will be that type of "sit and look" ride.

Sorry, I was commenting on the statement, not your reply. The thought that highly detailed animatronics are considered mannequins by some disturbs me.

What WAS the last attraction added to use full motion animatronics - beside the broken Yeti (one animatronic to conclude the ride?) Dinosaur?? I know things like Hall Of Presidents get updates and individual new animatronics from time to time, but I can't recall the last attraction to rely on animatronics to tell the story.

Dewdrop034
08-18-2010, 02:24 PM
That is so sad that those two children feel that way. I highly doubt it's because they are jaded from today's high tech society. My son is a tech head and a hardcore gamer and he really enjoyed MK. He was amused by the hologram ghosts in HM and loved the pirates ride,shaking his fist at Capt Jack as we drifted by. A friend of mine once said to me regarding WDW,You either get it or you don't. I guess that family doesn't.

BIGDOG
08-18-2010, 06:58 PM
What we are all forgetting here is the initial post stated it was the parents first trip as well !

How are the children suppose to enjoy the most magical and memorable park on the property if the parents had no memories to share with them? The most important thing about Disney trips is re-experiencing past visits. I have children from 5 to 22 and the first and last park they request is The Magic Kingdom. Maybe this family didn't know about the following:

1. The Rope drop ceremony
2. The feeling of the first time you walked down main street.
3. The first guest in the park are greeted by cast members waving with big white gloves along main street.
4. The smell of the fresh cinnamon rolls at the bakery on main street.
5. Racing to the tinker bell gift shop asking if she has been woken up yet.
6. Trying to be the first to Sawyer island to find the paint brush for the fast past reward.
7. Being one of the first guest to ride any ride open during early magic hours.
8. Dole Whip (enough said)
9. First time you were with in 10 feet of the castle and realize just how big it is.
10.Maybe they just didn't get to hug Mickey

It could have been a combo of any or none of the above. The thing is The magic Kingdom is not, a throw up your 4.00 hotdog roller coaster park. It is a great place to spend quality time with your family and be able to remember it for along time and pass it on to your children.

THE RIDES ARE THE WAY THEY ARE FOR A REASON LEAVE THEM ALONE FOR GENERATIONS TO COME.

xo0ally
08-20-2010, 03:38 PM
I think if the kids never grew up going to Disney and being immersed in its magic and believing it while they were younger, now at their age they will not appreciate Disney and love it like all the rest do.

SelfmadeWade
08-25-2010, 11:55 AM
I agree - I think with a lot of kids, they are taught by excited parents to love the Magic Kingdom before they even arrive for their very first time.

EJS-Houston
08-29-2010, 12:34 PM
I agree with the consensus here, which seems to be that the reaction of the kids in the original post says more about them than it does about The Magic Kingdom. I deeply love The Magic Kingdom and always will.

Southern*Belle 1108
08-29-2010, 08:03 PM
I am 13 and I think MK is the best park. I am not bored at all by any of the rides and think that Its a Small World is one of the best rides in WDW. I guess they were just expecting more of a thrill in the rides.:coaster:

phillydan
08-31-2010, 03:56 PM
In reading this post, I think back to our very first trip with the kids; DD was about 5 and not interested in anything. She skipped Splash & Big Thunder, so DW and I had to do the whole child swap dance with DD7 and DS2. Fast forward 2 hours later, and all she had done was walk down main street and sit at 2 ride exits. She then complained to me that "this place is boring". Although I was upset, I guess I could understand her point. Once we started doing other things, like HM and POC, plus the shows and parades, her outlook changed. She is now 13 and loves every part of the Disney magic.

I guess the moral of the story is that sometimes, you have to let things grow on you a bit to be fully rewarded. However, in our fast-paced, instant gratification world, many people seem to miss out on the present beacuse they are to focused on the future.

SelfmadeWade
09-05-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm also curious whether the attractions in the new Fantasyland expansion will be considered boring by kids today.

tinka
09-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Great Post!! Gives us all a lot to think about! My kids are 14 and 11 and they LOVE the MK. On our last trip, we went to the MK all but 1 day, we did all the other parks too but kept going back to MK at night or first thing in the am. Fo me it has a lot of happy memories from going with my parents when I was a kid, and I love that my kids are so into it too! We are going in December 2011 and all they keep talking about is seeing the castle and the park at Christmas time...I guess it is not for everyone. To each his own

johnO
09-05-2010, 02:43 PM
I went to WDW for the first time when I was 16 and I loved it. I totally "Got it". My DS, 18 yoa, while MK isnt his favorite park, he has a blast, DD 12 yoa, loves it, its her favorite park.

When I read the OP I could only picture the people living aboard the ship in the movie "Wall-E", all overwirght, bone loss from no physical activity, holgram type screen in front of their faces constantly, always eating from a straw, wearing the same clothes, everyone abiding by the same trends and fashion, and everyone in an utter trance like state."

I cant help but picture many of todays youth in this way and think, "no wonder why they wouldnt like MK....." They're all too busy texting, playing video games, facebook and anything that offers instant gratification.

I also keep in mind what "Scar" a previous poster wrote; "MK is the most visited theme park in the world." With this being the case, it can't be too bad of a place......

KatrinaJ91
09-05-2010, 09:54 PM
I don't think video games, facebook and texting have anything to do with it. My kids (and myself) are very much into the technology craze. We love our video games, facebook, texting, etc.....but we also love our Disney World! I think it has to do with being well-rounded. Parents need to expose their kids to a little bit of everything that life has to offer!

CiaoBella312
09-06-2010, 08:52 AM
What is the big deal about the Grand Canyon? It's travelling to a big hole in the ground. Mount Rushmore is just a big rock outcropping. Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree? Just a big tree with lights, not even any ornaments!

In other words, everything is attitude.

One more thing....I have a daughter who loves thrill coasters. We live half an hour from Great Adventure in NJ. She has ridden Kingda Ka a bunch of times (for those who don't know, it has giant, if not the biggest, vertical drop) and that is now a bit boring, but worse, has made most other thrill rides she goes on tame and boring by comparison. Thrill rides are not everything.

That daughter, by the way, loves Disney.

Attitude is everything.

MaxPower
09-13-2010, 01:41 PM
As the person who created this thread a few months ago, I have to say that I am surprised that it became one of the most viewed on this site.

I know that the love for Walt Disney World on Intercot is strong. It's the reason we all come here in the first place.

But I noticed that the two kids I mentioned in my original post quickly got labeled negatively by many responses. For the record, they are two of the most polite, smart kids you will ever meet. They're not surly. They're not spoiled. They're not brats. They're just kids and they were just telling the truth as they saw it when I asked them a direct question.

I bring this up because my original post intended to discuss the fact that the simple nature of many Magic Kingdom attractions may not translate in our current world. In the same way many people don't use VCRs anymore because everything is now DVD. Technology moves everything forward, including how we react to entertainment.

As it was pointed out by other posters, I agree that at a young age, many children are taught to love The Magic Kingdom. And as they grow into adults, they defend it fervently. I'm one of them.

But if a new theme park opened somewhere today that had multiple attractions where you ride through rooms in little cars and look at mannequins and cut-outs that swivel in sync with a recording as you ride by - I think a lot of us would yawn.

The Magic kingdom is magic for so many people because of its strong connection to memories associated with families, vacations and loved ones. But if you remove all emotion and just look at the Magic Kingdom in objective terms, it has multiple attractions that are overtly simple and a lot of what those two kids said is true.

I really like the fact that this thread generated so much discussion. That's what Intercot is all about.

WDWCrazyKaren
09-13-2010, 03:11 PM
I won't say "boring", but I will say less appealing to us than Epcot. AK is our "most boringest" (Yes, I made that word up) park, and DHS and MK take second (equally) behind Epcot. There are really a number of exceptional things at MK-Splash, Space Mtn, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, BTMRR, Jungle Cruise, etc. that make it totally worthwhile. And frankly, the joy of just "being" there-smells, sights, sounds-that AK and DHS don't have that make it SO worth the time.

Jared
09-13-2010, 06:35 PM
I read this entire thread and appreciate the responses. I started posting here more than nine years ago at age 13, and this question typically appears every couple years. Typically, a group of posters unite to criticize today's youth, ending in a morose discussion bemoaning the future.

I take exception to that analysis. I consider myself part of that group -- though I grew up a lot in my time writing on this site -- and know that the sentiments that prompted this entire conversation depend not on the kids' ages. I know plenty of adults who vehemently agree with their assessment and consider the Magic Kingdom boring. At least one member who responded in this thread feels that way, too.

I think we should create a distinction between the quality of the attraction and the quality of the overall park. On this site, we often revel in our ability to see the Disney theme parks for more than just the rides. We value the full experience.

I still rank Magic Kingdom as my favorite park. Yet when I list my favorite attractions on property, I find myself naming powerhouses like the Tower of Terror, Toy Story Mania and Soarin'.

To an outsider, that statement likely sounds like a paradox. "How can you call Magic Kingdom your favorite park if it does not offer your favorite rides?" they wonder.

In reality, Disney fans understand the answer to that inquiry. The Magic Kingdom offers an entire world of wonder and imagination beyond the rides. It considers the details, emphasizes quality and possesses a certain indescribable nostalgic quality.

I understand why younger people never exposed to Disney could visit the Magic Kingdom and call the rides boring. They lack the explosive technology offered at the other parks. I imagine tons of these people go to Universal first and expect a similar experience at the Magic Kingdom. To those people, I challenge you to look at the Magic Kingdom for more than its rides next time. Take in your surroundings and stop thinking for once. You may change your mind.

As an aside, my girlfriend calls Main Street her favorite part of Disney World. Looks like I found myself a keeper.

Laughin' place
09-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Well said Jared !!
I am often pessimistic about the future and the next generation ( I have four teenagers, it aint always pretty). But people like you, and my boys, remind us grumpy oldsters that the next wave has plenty of good in it.
Hope you and your's have a great trip, and KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, kid:thumbsup:

disneycutie165
09-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Well gee this is kind of a disappointing post :( I may be what you consider "youth", but MK will always be my favorite place to go. The fact of the matter is WDW is a place where the "real world" is supposed to be pushed aside. I know now a days its hard to do that with all the phones/ipods and everthing else but come on, really? Who can't like MK? it's not all the "mannequins" or anything, but it's how society has given kids a different idea of "fun". Nowadays aint no such thing "fun" in old terms. Ugh, idk what i'm trying to get across here but I'm a little upset with some of the replies :(

Gator
09-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Could someone please shoot this thread and put it out of it's misery?

Goes4FastPass
09-14-2010, 05:43 PM
My goodness! Responding to this is like giving it a bump.

How do I give it a lump instead?

If a ran naked through this thread yelling "Mickey Mouse is a short person in a costume!" would that help?

Jared
09-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Why should this thread die? I see lots of reasoned, thoughtful responses to a completely legitimate and interesting question. Frankly, considering the nature of most Disney sites, I remain impressed a topic of this nature continues to flourish. People typically attack at the slightest criticism of Disney and resort to mud-slinging and name-calling.

I commend and appreciate the people in this community for their thoughts!

Dsnygirl
09-15-2010, 04:42 AM
But if a new theme park opened somewhere today that had multiple attractions where you ride through rooms in little cars and look at mannequins and cut-outs that swivel in sync with a recording as you ride by - I think a lot of us would yawn.

Wow -- now that is a thought I've never considered. I think of myself as a tried and true, died-in-the-wool, hard core Disney fan... and yet, you are right in this -- if some park opened somewhere with the same kind of rides we so fully enjoy at Disney, it just wouldn't be the same. And that difference has to lie in our associations -- whether we connect to Walt and his story, to Mickey & the Mickey Mouse Club of our youth, to the movies associated with the characters -- something creates the wonder & magic that just wouldn't be there, at least not for me, in something that was generically created to be similar.

And although I know for many people it is because they were introduced to Disney at a young age, whether via TV or park visits, for me it's nothing like that -- my parents had no love for Disney, we never watched the Mickey Mouse Club or visited WDW -- and to this day, my mom wants nothing much to do with it, although she'll tolerate stories of our trips. (Like we give her a choice... ;)) So I don't have any kind-of warm, sentimental memories of vacations as a child to color my vision of what Disney is. My first visit to MK was in my 20's - and then not again until in my 30's and married. Yet somehow, the magic of the parks reached me -- the intrinsic uniqueness of just what the imagineers have accomplished in all the nuances that are hiding everywhere, waiting for us to discover. Something in that spoke straight to me, as well as the magic of becoming a child again myself, feeling the excitement of a 5yr old when I saw Tigger coming my way for the first time. :)

Somehow, Disney has manged to create just the right mix of fantasy, magic and escapism, and nothing else done to be similar would ever get the same response, I don't think.

Sorry if this post went way "off-topic", but that paragraph really got me thinking... as you can see! :blush:

Now to return to our regularly scheduled programming... ;)

SelfmadeWade
09-18-2010, 12:21 PM
I agree with Jared. This thread is the type of discussion I enjoy on this website more than just the average question about what parade is better than another.

Obviously it has had alot of views because it's an interesting topic. As a Disney lover, I had to think about what it is that I truly love about Disney World - is it the rides themselves or the fact that they're connected to big chunks of my life making nostalgia a bigger part of the equation.

SassySueMadhatterFanatic
09-19-2010, 06:39 PM
How can anyone say that? My daughter is 13, and it was by far her favorite park of all four. I am 36 years old, and I will never tire of MK. I do have a family member that did have that response with her children...however, I don't believe they even gave it a chance? Nobody can spend less than half a day in MK and say there was nothing there to see...that's just crazy! We could spend all day there, and still miss things! MK is the epitomy of Disney...I do like Epcot,AK,and Hollywood Studios also...but come on...MAGIC KINGDOM IS THE BEST! This November/December we are going back with friends, and they have a 2 year old (I can't wait to see his reaction to MK this year...seeing it through the kids' eyes just makes it that much more fun!) I love a good rollercoaster, but the rides in disney are something you just don't experience in any other theme park!:mickey:

SelfmadeWade
09-21-2010, 02:26 PM
SassySue,

I have been to the Magic Kingdom with a two year old before ( and a four year old) and you are right - the way you view thw Magic Kingdom will change. It's truly magic for the little ones.

Brettracie
09-21-2010, 04:01 PM
We usually spend the least amount of time at Magic Kingdom, but we do like it. We prefer it at night when it is very beautiful. They need to redo Space Mountain completely and put in a new ride system. The one at Disneyland is my favorite ride there but I won't even get on the one at DW. It hurts too much!!

Boost
09-23-2010, 06:23 PM
SBETigg
Senior Team INTERCOT Cast Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the two kids in question are quite possibly unimaginative and dull, sorry to say, and not that the MK is boring. My kids were 8 and 10 on their first trip and they are 17 and 19 now, and still do not find the MK boring. It's their favorite park, though they also love the thrill rides and the other parks. I know lots of kids who love the "sit and look" attractions. I would not use those particular young specimens as gauges into the minds of kids everywhere or assume that they speak for their generation.

=====================================

I have to agree with the above remarks....I also wanted to add some additional thoughts:

1. The kids in question sound like they may possibly be ADD/ADHD. That, or they may just be brats.
2. I think that it depends on when a child's first visit to WDW occurs. If you take them from the time that they are young (in our case, we have three kids and all have been there since they were infants), they understand the magic, the nostalgia and get into the traditions that each family creates on their initial and subsequent visits.
3. With regard to new tech, I think that as evidenced by the parks to reach out to kids (i.e., Kim Possible cell phone game in EPCOT), the argument that there are relatively few things for really tech savvy kids to engage in is a weak argument.
4. Having been to Universal and Six Flags parks, there is NO COMPARISON to what Disney has to offer. Disney is not a destination. Disney is an immersion into a completely different world. Even on a day when we may encounter a cast member or two not giving their Disney best, IT IS STILL HANDS-DOWN an UNBELIEVABLY FUN PLACE TO BE.
5. Did I mention that those kids sound like brats???

We are planning our next trip to the Poly in the next couple of months....and our kids cannot wait to go!!!!

darthmacho
09-23-2010, 06:34 PM
My goodness!
If a ran naked through this thread yelling "Mickey Mouse is a short person in a costume!" would that help?

:photo: I'm so waiting here with my camera! :D

SelfmadeWade
09-27-2010, 11:18 PM
SBETigg
Senior Team INTERCOT Cast Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Having been to Universal and Six Flags parks, there is NO COMPARISON to what Disney has to offer. Disney is not a destination. Disney is an immersion into a completely different world. Even on a day when we may encounter a cast member or two not giving their Disney best, IT IS STILL HANDS-DOWN an UNBELIEVABLY FUN PLACE TO BE.

We are planning our next trip to the Poly in the next couple of months....and our kids cannot wait to go!!!!

I also find myself having the Disney vs Six Flags debate with friends and co-workers that have never been to Walt Disney World.

No matter how much explanation is given, some people think all theme parks are essentially the same. They have no idea how vastly superior Disney is compared to Six Flags. I also find it amusing how Six Flags tries to incorporate Disney ideas into their parks with little success. It's a shame that some people will never make the trip to Walt Disney World because "Six Flags is closer."

mousetrapper
09-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Wow! This is one thread that has taken on a life of its own!

I'll weigh in -- above all the other parks, Magic Kingdom is quintessentially old school Disney magic, and there's just no way to put your finger on why the Disney magic touches some people but not others.

I grew up in the 60s and 70s, and I used to say it has to do with my watching the Wonderful World of Disney on TV on Sunday evenings. It was such a tradition in our house and I remember episodes where they'd show the Pirates of the Caribbean ride in Disneyland and I was so fascinated by the animatronics. I grew up considering Walt Disney an icon but also someone I wished was my uncle.

But how do I explain the fact that my DDs -- who are 19 and 16 now -- love MK as much now as they did when they first visited in 1999?

Maybe it's just in their blood! :)

johnO
09-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Wow! This is one thread that has taken on a life of its own!

I'll weigh in -- above all the other parks, Magic Kingdom is quintessentially old school Disney magic, and there's just no way to put your finger on why the Disney magic touches some people but not others.

I grew up in the 60s and 70s, and I used to say it has to do with my watching the Wonderful World of Disney on TV on Sunday evenings. It was such a tradition in our house and I remember episodes where they'd show the Pirates of the Caribbean ride in Disneyland and I was so fascinated by the animatronics. I grew up considering Walt Disney an icon but also someone I wished was my uncle.

But how do I explain the fact that my DDs -- who are 19 and 16 now -- love MK as much now as they did when they first visited in 1999?

Maybe it's just in their blood! :)

Maybe you were able to impart upon them, what disney magic was when they were young.

rubato
10-02-2010, 04:59 AM
My son is 10 and still loves the "MAGIC". That's his favorite part. And, unfortunately, he is one of those video game playing fools. His favorite ride is still Pooh. :mickey:

AndyMan
10-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Every video game loving kid I know still can find the magic in the Magic Kingdom, but it's still a better park for the very little ones.

MaxPower
10-12-2010, 12:57 PM
I also find myself having the Disney vs Six Flags debate with friends and co-workers that have never been to Walt Disney World.

No matter how much explanation is given, some people think all theme parks are essentially the same. They have no idea how vastly superior Disney is compared to Six Flags. I also find it amusing how Six Flags tries to incorporate Disney ideas into their parks with little success. It's a shame that some people will never make the trip to Walt Disney World because "Six Flags is closer."

I noticed that the Six Flags park by me has added a night-time parade that is an attempt to be their version of Spectromagic. It is truly embarrassing.

I wonder if they sit in management meetings and go through each Disney park trying to figure out what to copy?

Mousemates
10-12-2010, 02:21 PM
My goodness! Responding to this is like giving it a bump.

How do I give it a lump instead?

Not a bad idea...i think nudity is against Intercot's terms of use and would surely result in the thread being closed down...however it might also result in your being thrown in the Intercot cyber-jail...however, if such takes place I would gladly post bond for you...if so doing would put this rather tiresome thread out of its (and our) misery.;)

Insanity Clause
10-14-2010, 01:15 PM
My kids were very impressed but then they don't have cellphones and a lot of gadgets outside of their mp3 players. I think it depends on the kids. If the kids do imaginatitive play at home then I think it is more impressive. All I know is that my kids loved MK...I will admit one of my favorites at MK now is PhilharMagic!

SpecJoe Magic
10-15-2010, 06:02 AM
As much as I love the MK, I do feel that it is a bit, for lack of a better word, hokey (I hope that makes sense). I mean, think about it. Jungle Cruise, Small World, Country Bear Jamboree, Haunted Mansion, etc. They are all classic attractions that are beloved by many, but they all have elements that are just plain goofy. To me, that's a big part of the appeal, but I can see how kids at those ages, especially first-time visitors, might not care for it.

Then again, some people, regardless of age, are not excited by WDW. That seems unthinkable to a lot of Disney fans, but it's a simple fact that people like different things.

As an aside, I'm not sure how much modern technology (e.g. video games, mp3 players, cell phones) affects this generation of kids when it comes to being able to appreciate a place like the MK. I started playing video games at a very young age and have played them ever since then on a regular basis, and it has never caused me to not be able to enjoy what the MK and WDW in general has to offer.

Horizon One
10-20-2010, 12:48 PM
The Magic Kingom is still my favorite. I have been there many times and I enjoy it each time I go.
Part of it is nostalgia part of it is the technology and efficiency that the part has.
I also enjoy Epcot but for different reasons it is more of the adult side of me that enjoys that park.
Without Disneyland which is basically the Magic Kingdom theme parks wouldn't exist the way they do today.:mickey:

CaptainSad
10-20-2010, 04:20 PM
I am 55 and have been there 26 times since 1983. I can tell you one thing, you can't take the kid out of me. As long as I live I will keep going and this kid in me will never be bored...

brivers222
10-20-2010, 05:01 PM
I didn't think it was my favorite by a long shot... until my trip last week when i spent a great deal of time in there and actually still missing being in there. :thumbsup:

Guess i do have a favorite park afterall....and its MK

AndyMan
10-26-2010, 11:33 AM
As much as I love the MK, I do feel that it is a bit, for lack of a better word, hokey (I hope that makes sense). I mean, think about it. Jungle Cruise, Small World, Country Bear Jamboree, Haunted Mansion, etc. They are all classic attractions that are beloved by many, but they all have elements that are just plain goofy. To me, that's a big part of the appeal, but I can see how kids at those ages, especially first-time visitors, might not care for it.

The nostalgia factor is a huge component. Today, you would never see a theme park anywhere else in the world build a new attraction that was essentially like It's a Small World or The Country Bear Jamboree. It really only works at Walt Disney World because those were mind-bending back in the day when they debuted and now they are a part of Americana. You can't mess with things from people's childhoods or you will hear screaming from the rooftops.

minnie04
10-29-2010, 09:17 AM
WOW!! Boring that’s harsh. I think kids that didn’t grow up going to Disney, don't get it. It is a feeling when you walk through the gates at MK & other parks. It’s a place to be a big kid and have fun. My kids have been going for years and just when I thought they were to old 18, 14 ( 6 yr old not included ) to really want to go again, they ask when is the next Disney trip..The thrill rides are awesome, but we also like to just sit on the side of the street and watch the parade go by. I hope my kids never get to old for Disney or complain about the workings of the park..:mickey:

SelfmadeWade
11-02-2010, 10:50 AM
WOW!! Boring that’s harsh. I think kids that didn’t grow up going to Disney, don't get it. It is a feeling when you walk through the gates at MK & other parks. It’s a place to be a big kid and have fun. My kids have been going for years and just when I thought they were to old 18, 14 ( 6 yr old not included ) to really want to go again, they ask when is the next Disney trip..The thrill rides are awesome, but we also like to just sit on the side of the street and watch the parade go by. I hope my kids never get to old for Disney or complain about the workings of the park..:mickey:

You just made me realize that everyone over the age of 18 in my family, including cousins, aunts and uncles all still love to go to Disney.

It's interesting that nobody has "grown out of it". Does that really happen?

WDWPrincess
11-10-2010, 12:27 PM
The nostalgia factor is a huge component. Today, you would never see a theme park anywhere else in the world build a new attraction that was essentially like It's a Small World or The Country Bear Jamboree. It really only works at Walt Disney World because those were mind-bending back in the day when they debuted and now they are a part of Americana. You can't mess with things from people's childhoods or you will hear screaming from the rooftops.

This is true. No theme park anywhere else would think of creating a ride where you sit and watch animatronics move and sing as you ride by.

But I also don't think the other theme parks have the characters to buid those types of rides around.

Plus, there is too much need for a thrill element anymore. They would not spend the money on something so simple anymore unless it's just for a kiddie section of a park.

I wonder if Disney realizes that if they put the money into it, they could create a new all audio-animatronic attraction that would draw huge crowds of all ages if it were done correctly. It would just depend on the theme.

I bet a Star Wars version at the Hollywood Studios would be hugely popular.

wilcat
11-11-2010, 08:58 AM
I have no children of my own but have been down with DNiece a few times. The first time she went she was 4 and everything was overwhelming. Now she is 12 and has been down a couple more times, in fact we are going during the marathon weekend in January. She is a thrill junkie and loves all the coasters but if you ask her the first place she wants to go to is MK. There will be 2 kids going with us that have never been to WDW and she is really looking forward to showing them the ropes at MK. Also my DNephews will be going down. During their first trip they were 6 and 4. Now at 12 and 14 they also say they can't wait to see the MK again. These are two boys who are usually glued to their Xbox so I am in agreement with other posters that those kids must not have much imagination if they can't see the magic that is all around them at the MK.

jonahbear2006
11-11-2010, 10:25 AM
It is definitely not about rides. I cant tell you how many people I have tried to explain it to...that magic kingdom is not a six flags. you dont go there to hop on rides and go, "wheeeee" We just took my in laws for the first time and they had the same opinion...that they really loved the roller coasters and the thrill rides but that the rest was boring. There is a spirit and a magic to Disney World and a lot of it exists inside of Magic Kingdom. Im not sure I felt it on my first trip, when I was 12. For some reason, my memories of that trip are kind of sup-par, however, just walking down main street or sittin in on any attraction fills my senses with a feeling no other place can. It isnt about getting from point A to point B, its about enjoying the in betweens. Maybe some people need to learn how to see that, while others see it naturally.

DisneyFr33k
11-11-2010, 10:35 AM
I think the replies to this post depends on how many times kids 10-18 have been to WDW before. We took our children for the first WDW trip when they were 4 & 6. Now they are 11 & 13. This past trip, we visited US and Is of Adv to see if that would replace WDW as their favorite park. They told us that besides the Harry Potter aspect, they didn't find US very fun. They told us they love WDW, and especially MK the best. I think it is because they've been almost every year for the past 7 years. WDW is full of family memories for them and that will carry with them into adulthood!

Maybe the first time you take them there does impact how much they enjoy it?

Kwesty
11-16-2010, 09:48 AM
I had to weigh in on this post because my husband and I have this discussion ALL THE TIME, as well as with people who go for the first time as adults. They will come back and basically tell me they can't believe what a big deal I make about Disney. This happened twice recently with my dentist and a good friend.

I truly believe that you really need to be indoctrinated to Disney at a young age and the more the better. Once you are hooked as a kid the magic is always there. I've been to France and Austria and various other locations and there is just no place I would rather be than Disney World. People think I'm nuts. But my parents took us as kids nearly every other year, I'm nearly 40 now and it is something I've passed on to my kids.

There are always exceptions but I think if you haven't been to Disney by the time you are 10-12, the magic may very well be lost to you. You've "grown up" and the ability to see beyond the "hokey" is lost.

One exception is my husband who used to like to quote from the Simpson's about Walt Disney having the "evil gene." He has been Disneyfied and I take complete credit for that! Very proud of myself.:thedolls: Now he looks for any excuse to get us down there!

It still drives me absolutely NUTS when someone says they didn't like Disney World. I take it as a personal affront and have to restrain myself from getting into serious debates.:bang: I'm working on that....

Marceline
11-17-2010, 11:54 PM
I always like to say that only boring people get bored. So there you have it.

I happen to think Magic Kingdom is just that, magical. To each their own.:mickey:

WDWPrincess
11-24-2010, 07:58 PM
I had to weigh in on this post because my husband and I have this discussion ALL THE TIME, as well as with people who go for the first time as adults. They will come back and basically tell me they can't believe what a big deal I make about Disney. This happened twice recently with my dentist and a good friend.

I truly believe that you really need to be indoctrinated to Disney at a young age and the more the better. Once you are hooked as a kid the magic is always there...

I also believe that there is a HYPE factor that is hard to achieve for many adults and even some kids.

I know people who would not want to have a tree that grows money if it meant they had to stand in line to get it. Those types will NEVER like a place like Walt Disney World.

It's interesting though that kids would be jaded about their first-time Magic Kingdom experience. They tend to focus on the fun and not the crowds, the heat or the expense. Usually the grousing is left to the adults.

harmon_174
11-28-2010, 07:06 PM
I am an 18 year old college student that has been visiting Disney World since I was 3 years old at many varying ages. My family and I traveled to Disney when I was a teen and I can completely agree with the statements of these kids. At age 10-16 a lot of kids just want to go fast and be entertained completely. I went through the stage when I thought Magic Kingdom was completely boring but after about age 16 I realized what Disney World was all about. I started to appreciate the little things in the Disney parks. All of the Disney parks are different than any other Amusement park in the world and you must realize what your getting yourself into. Recently when I was on a bus going back to my resort I heard a few teenagers talking and complaining about how everything in Disney you have to watch a "stupid" pre-show. To me the pre-show sets up everything. I go to any other theme park and nothing lives up to Disney. Disney World is about story telling and a lot of teenagers don't realize how special this makes Disney from other theme parks. Every ride has a story and thus you are immersed in the attraction. While riding Expedition Everest I feel as if I am journeying up and around Mount Everest and this is why I love Disney Parks.

SelfmadeWade
12-02-2010, 08:56 PM
I agree that a 13 year old kid who finds the Magic Kingdom boring can grow into an adult who ends up loving it.

What still surprises me are the adults who go as first-timers and shrug their shoulders and act like it's any run-of-the-mill theme park.

Maybe it's subtle retaliation for the attacks on their wallets.

Silver_Surfer
12-03-2010, 12:09 AM
LOL! My son sometimes thinks the small world is boring and for the little kids but my wife and I always drag him along and once we exit we catch his humming/whisleing the tune and all smiles. We elbow him what was that? :D Their is something about that song that just get stuck in your head:mickey:

marlyn
12-08-2010, 12:15 PM
It still drives me absolutely NUTS when someone says they didn't like Disney World. I take it as a personal affront and have to restrain myself from getting into serious debates.:bang: I'm working on that....

I have the same problem! It drives me crazy when people just don't "get it". I get so much joy from Disney that I want everyone to be able to feel what I do :mickey:

AndyMan
12-19-2010, 12:42 PM
I have the same problem! It drives me crazy when people just don't "get it". I get so much joy from Disney that I want everyone to be able to feel what I do :mickey:

There is a guy in my office at work who says that I am part of a cult where I worship a mouse. Ha Ha.

CaptainSad
12-20-2010, 10:03 AM
I agree that a 13 year old kid who finds the Magic Kingdom boring can grow into an adult who ends up loving it.

What still surprises me are the adults who go as first-timers and shrug their shoulders and act like it's any run-of-the-mill theme park.

Maybe it's subtle retaliation for the attacks on their wallets.

I for one never visited WDW or DL as a kid. My first visit to WDW, I was 28. I am now 55 and I am a kid at heart. I don't care if the rides aren't fast or do loops. I just love the atmosphere. I used to watch the Mickey Mouse Club and Wonderful World of Disney on TV as a kid. I have always loved what Walt Disney stood for. Most kids today don't see Disney as I did when I was younger. The Disney Channel is showing the new stuff and the old stuff should be brought back. I don't care for High School Musical or what they show now. I guess the powers to be don't get it...

Ms. Mode
12-20-2010, 11:24 AM
I for one never visited WDW or DL as a kid. My first visit to WDW, I was 28. I am now 55 and I am a kid at heart. I don't care if the rides aren't fast or do loops. I just love the atmosphere. I used to watch the Mickey Mouse Club and Wonderful World of Disney on TV as a kid. I have always loved what Walt Disney stood for. Most kids today don't see Disney as I did when I was younger. The Disney Channel is showing the new stuff and the old stuff should be brought back. I don't care for High School Musical or what they show now. I guess the powers to be don't get it...

My DH and I are both Wonderful World of Disney kids too. When we would talk about some of the movies we used to watch our DD had wanted to see them too, so we ended up buying the VCR tapes (years ago) for her...she loved them and has purchased many of the theme songs for her IPod so she can get her fix. I think her favorite is "Davey Crockett" :mickey:

WDWPrincess
12-28-2010, 01:49 AM

I agree. It really bothers me that the Disney Channel seems to exist just to be a huge marketing machine designed to create new "stars" for tweens that will in turn, buy the merchandise.

The same goes for the theme parks. There should be NO Hannah Montana merchandise in a Disney theme park. She does not belong. She is not part of the "Disney Magic". And there should be no shows themed around Disney Channel shows and movies. The High School Musical "parade" at the Hollywood Studios is an embarrassment. It's a rolling commercial. And it does not belong. I wish they would keep all of those types of things OUT of the parks.

cuteduck223
12-30-2010, 02:07 PM
wow. i just waded through this entire thread. We're taking our 2 year old and a 14 year old we recently aquired. The 14 year old is so excited, as she has never been and is even talking about wanting to get autographs. She has a few friends who are able to go more often that talk about how boring it can get. I'm hoping that she isn't disappointed.

when we went 3 years ago, we took my brother and sister in law (both for the first time) and we were all in our mid-20's. My brother-in-law hates theme parks of any kind, and was leary of my spreadsheet and schedule. They LOVED every park of every park. We went to universal one day in the middle and halfway through the day, they were ready to head back to disney.

It's all about the atmosphere I think and how its presented. We're going to do pressed pennies for both girls, and are looking at other ways to add magic to the trip! :mickey:

mom2morgan
12-30-2010, 06:07 PM
wow. i just waded through this entire thread. We're taking our 2 year old and a 14 year old we recently aquired.
LOL - Kind of made me chuckle :-) I don't know your exact circumstances, but our first trip to Disney was with a "recently acquired" 15 year old boy. I must say, though, that it was a very up-and-down experience for him: partly very exciting, and partly so overwhelming that he got really grumpy and negative. To be perfectly honest, I think there was also a level of feeling he'd missed out since "we" probably weren't his first choice to go to Disney with, if you know what I mean. BUT... He's 21 now and is so hooked that he can't wait to go back :mickey:

mom2morgan
12-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Count me as an adult that didn't really "get" it until I went! I was never very interested in Disney, although I wanted to go ONCE (growing up, I remember all my friends going to Disneyland and my family had zero interest, so I never got to go). We decided in 2006 to make a trip for our kids - our "once in a lifetime, so you better soak it up and do everything you want to" trip since we're "only doing this once". End result - I've been totally Disneyfied - have been back twice and currently planning trip number 4 :-)

KennyandKim
12-31-2010, 03:02 AM
:mickey:I took my kids for the first time in March 2008. My DDs were 13 and DS 15. We made the mistake of staying off site and that was their only objection. Not once did any of them think anything about Disney was boring. My son didn't like flying as it was all their first times to fly. My daughters couldn't wait to see the castle and many other things about Disney they have seen on TV. My son is a gamer but still loved Disney.

In March 2009 my DH and I took our daughters. My son stayed behind as he did not want to fly again. My daughters were 14 and we stood in line many times for autographs. I am not a big thrill seeker as I am VERY afraid of heights. Epcot is our least favorite park. We like Soarin and Test Track but that's about it so our next trip probably will not include Epcot. We do not think anything about Disney is boring but we enjoy some things better than others.

I had never been to disney before I took my kids in 2008. We all experienced our first trip together and it was awesome. My DH had gone once when he was a child but it had been over 30 years and he LOVED our trip. He has an extensive Mickey Mouse collection and to see his reaction to having his picture taken with Mickey Mouse was priceless.

We are planning our 3rd trip for September 2011 and can't wait

cuteduck223
12-31-2010, 02:13 PM
LOL - Kind of made me chuckle :-) I don't know your exact circumstances, but our first trip to Disney was with a "recently acquired" 15 year old boy. I must say, though, that it was a very up-and-down experience for him: partly very exciting, and partly so overwhelming that he got really grumpy and negative. To be perfectly honest, I think there was also a level of feeling he'd missed out since "we" probably weren't his first choice to go to Disney with, if you know what I mean. BUT... He's 21 now and is so hooked that he can't wait to go back :mickey:

Thanks so much. Since we have our 2 year old, we're taking things slow as it is her first trip as well. The 14 year old is already overwhelmed a little, and has been poring over the maps--and has told me several times to please "not lose" her.

WDWPrincess
01-07-2011, 12:30 AM

I think it's encouraging to hear that a 21 year old who first experienced the Magic Kingdom as a 15 year old wants to go back. The magic lives!

forever a child
01-07-2011, 09:45 AM
I think it's encouraging to hear that a 21 year old who first experienced the Magic Kingdom as a 15 year old wants to go back. The magic lives!

The first time I went, I was 15. I remember liking Disney. I didn't really get the Disney bug however, until I started taking my daughter. DD went at ages 9, 10 and 11. She broke my heart at age 12 when I told her to guess we were going for vacation that year and she replied "Not Disney again." :cry: Well, actually I was planning a trip to the Grand Canyon for that year, but it still hurt. After I left a full time job to go back to school to get my master's degree in 2006, our expensive vacations stopped. That's when DD really started to appreciate and miss Disney. We finally got to return twice last year and both of us have the Disney bug! DD plans to apply for the Disney College Program after she starts her first semester. I guess it just took us both a while...but we LOVE WDW now and it has special memories for the both of us.:mickey:

Marionla
01-07-2011, 11:10 AM
My first wdw trip was at age 50. I visited 14 times in 12 years and never find it boring. My friend was bored on her 2nd trip. It is sad that one's imagination is limited. I am amazed by the talent and diversity throughout wdw. Cannot wait to return in dec 2011.

spoiled
01-09-2011, 11:25 AM
My DS is 10 he loves the magic kingdom
My DD is 13 and loves Magic Kingdom i do not know why these kids said it was boring it is one of my kids favorite parks

waymickey
01-11-2011, 08:07 PM
MY DD is 17 and loves MK. she doesn't think it is boring at all. My DH is 48 and also loves MK and went the first time when he was 28. It is not a typical amusment park in fact it isn't an amusement park at all. It is a theme park. The theme is incredible. The "Show" as disney like to call it was planned out to very fine details, like where to put the train station, how the lands connect, and even the color of the pain to n the grounds. It is not boring.:mickey:

AndyMan
01-17-2011, 02:19 PM
MY DD is 17 and loves MK. she doesn't think it is boring at all. My DH is 48 and also loves MK and went the first time when he was 28. It is not a typical amusment park in fact it isn't an amusement park at all. It is a theme park. The theme is incredible. The "Show" as disney like to call it was planned out to very fine details, like where to put the train station, how the lands connect, and even the color of the pain to n the grounds. It is not boring.:mickey:

This made me think of my family. My dad first went when he was 41 and now he loves Disney so much that he talks about getting a condo in Orlando so he can "live near the mouse."

SelfmadeWade
01-22-2011, 03:05 PM

I think this happens a lot with teenagers -they are too cool for Disney World - and then a few years later they are all there on College Night and bringing their own families soon after.

WDWPrincess
02-02-2011, 12:07 PM
I think this happens a lot with teenagers -they are too cool for Disney World - and then a few years later they are all there on College Night and bringing their own families soon after.

This is a good point. If the Magic Kingdom were unpopular with teens, then College Night would not be such a success.

MarkC
02-02-2011, 12:32 PM
It of course depends on your personality and how many times you've been there. If you're a teenager and you've been there 100 times I could see where it would be boring for you, especially a male. However, we still love it, even though I like Epcot and AK better, and DS about the same. An evening at MK is tough to beat.

WDWPrincess
03-15-2011, 01:46 PM
It of course depends on your personality and how many times you've been there. If you're a teenager and you've been there 100 times I could see where it would be boring for you, especially a male. However, we still love it, even though I like Epcot and AK better, and DS about the same. An evening at MK is tough to beat.

I agree. The Magic Kingdom is the best park to visit at night. And also the best night time park to visit even if you are not going to any of the attractions. The atmosphere is wonderful.

nunners
03-15-2011, 03:14 PM
The Magic Kingdom provides and instant connection to my inner child and I lose myself in the nostalgia and feeling of enchantment from the moment I enter the place. Maybe it's because I grew up watching The Wonderful World of Disney with my family, reading all the Disney story books, and listening to Disney music. I'm one of those who never visted WDW or DL as a child. As a matter of fact, my first trip was at age 28 with my wife's family. So for me (at age 45), I suppose more than anything, the Magic Kingdom exceeds my childhood visions of what it would be like and I love sharing the experience over and over again with my own family. While we love everything Disney, the Magic Kingdom is the first and last park we visit on every trip.

While the Magic Kingdom may dissapoint thrill seekers, it's grand theming and variety of attractions certainly keep my family coming back. In regard to the Magic Kingdom's appeal to a universal audience (to play on words), Disney's Imagineers are faced with the challenge of creating a feeling of connection with each generation. I look forward to completion of the additions to Fantasyland and to see the Imagineer's visions for that portion of the park brought to life.

crazygoalie39
03-16-2011, 01:59 AM
I was 17 for my first trip to WDW and I was begging my parents to go since I was 12. MK was and is my favorite park. It's just so magical. I feel like it's just a difference in personalities. As a whole, I feel like youth is moving more towards the "MK is boring" view, but there are definitely still kids who see the MK for how amazing it really is.

KatieDuck22
03-16-2011, 02:51 PM
do her kids think christmas is boring too?

Dsnygirl
03-16-2011, 04:42 PM
I've already added a post to this thread, months ago, but my 12yr old DD (who is waiting ANXIOUSLY to be 13 so she can join in on here... ;)) just read through it and wanted me to say from her, verbatim - "That is just ridonculous!!" :D

To add a bit to that... she and her younger sister (9) are, of course, like any kids, and LOVE the bigger rides... they look forward to them every trip. But you couldn't GET them to miss riding PoC or Splash, or IASW (in fact, my DD12 was appalled that I didn't ride it on my last "girl's wknd" trip... ;)) and Peter Pan...they wouldn't miss them. I can't account for why -- why some kids "get it" and enjoy every aspect of WDW and others don't... I certainly have friends who have visited and come back with the same comments as the OP's friend about the rides. In fact, my hairdresser has a 4yr old son who isn't interested in MK anymore b/c he wants the "big" rides already.... ??? ... so maybe it's partly how the parents react to the rides and parks, as well?? If you've got parents like most of us here, who love everything about Disney and the parks and who really "get" what Walt was trying to give everybody -- we pass that on to our children from little on, without even realizing it, and they grow up (at least quite often) feeling and thinking the same way. And if you have parents who are "ho hum" about it and are thrill riders themselves who really don't care about the ambience of the parks, the "feel" of being there and all the little details that get missed so easily, well then maybe their kids react the same way and walk away a bit disappointed.

(I realize that's quite a generalization, as I come from a family that had nothing to do with Disney, and here I am, a happy WDW fanatic and they all think we're :crazy:... but I do wonder if it happens more often than not??)

From Julia:

"I love the Magic Kingdom!
I love the Magic Kingdom!
I love the Magic Kingdom! :goofy:"

Ramblingman
03-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Not sure if I can add anything original to this thread, but that won't stop me from commenting. Although my first thought was...posting this thread on this site is sort of like going on HuffPo and announcing that Nancy Pelosi is a loser.

Seriously, I can understand the teens and their thoughts. I don't agree, but I can understand. It sounds like a conflux of things combined in a perfect storm to make it feel boring for them.

If a parent has gone before, they can transfer their sense of wonder. If a child begins going when they are young, they recall things when they are older.

That is part of the point, and it's been touched on by many posts here. MK has not changed much, and that is by design. However, The Mouse recognizes that there are others who need something different, so they opened another park, and then another, and then...

WDW is an entire experience, not just one park. Each park has its own little pockets of experiences. I've heard some people say they love MK but Fantasyland is not for them. That's why they have Tomorrowland.

WDW is large enough for everyone to find something that they love. If you're not into parks, there's Downtown Disney. I'm not trying to preach to the choir here, I'm just saying there is enough for everybody. The post said they did find things they liked.

I would say that the teens will eventually come to appreciate the other areas. It's hard not to.

For the record, I first went when I was young when WDW first opened. My DW went when she was young as well. We first took our kids when they were in diapers. Our next trip is scheduled just after my DS21 graduates college and DD19 finishes her first year. We are all looking forward to the trip, especially because we are taking DS's girlfriend, who is a grad student but has never been to WDW before (and is scared of mascots, so this should be fun).

We get to see it through fresh eyes, while imparting our memories to her. I think we will all come away with a new perspective.

MrPeetrie
03-17-2011, 11:34 PM
The Magic Kingdom is by far our most favorite park in WDW.

First, it just has more "Magic" than the other parks. But more importantly, it is the park with the most rides we can ride as a family. We are heading back this October, and with DD8 and DD1 1/2, there are so many rides we can all do together. On the other parks, we mostly need to utilize the child-swap option to ride rides. Then, only one parent can experience their child's delight at a time. This will be our first trip with our son. I remember our trips with our daughter, being able to spend the entire day riding rides together as a family.

I go to Disney to see the looks on my kids' faces. And, right now, we'll get the most fun at the Magic Kingdom. As they get older, that may change. And whichever park they want to spend the most time will probably become my favorite park. But for right now, it's the Magic Kingdom.

Currently, Disney is running this WONDERFUL ad campaign, showing actually home videos of kids finding out they're going to Disney. Seeing the look in their eyes and hearing their expressions makes me tear up. I can't wait to see my kids' faces light up down there. I can't wait to ride every ride they want to. I can't wait to make their trip "Magical."

We've been lucky enough to take my daughter down there three times. She already "gets it" about Disney. She's a Disney junkie. The other night, she told me the Magic Kingdom's her favorite park because there's more rides there for her and we don't have to split up. That's good enough for me.

Counting down the days until October.....

CaptainSad
03-18-2011, 03:48 PM
I am 55 and have been there 26 times since 1983. I can tell you one thing, you can't take the kid out of me. As long as I live I will keep going and this kid in me will never be bored...

Since I posted this back in October I went to WDW in December. There were 11 of us including my 11 month old GD. Her great grandmother is the biggest Disney person you would want to meet. Every time my mother would see her she would always sing her the Mickey Mouse Club song. She would also show her Mickey and as many characters as she could. Of course she had never been there before. But when she started seeing the characters from home at the MK her eyes lit up. She did not cry at all like most babies do when they are with characters. At the Crystal Palace for breakfast one morning when Pooh and friends came out she was sitting in her high chair just smiling away. When they came over she would give them a big hug or touch there nose. I know she will remember the next time we go when the Fantasyland opens in a year or two. This I know because every time a Disney commercial comes on she sits and points at the TV with the biggest smile. I can guarantee you she will never get bored with WDW.

JasonH
03-19-2011, 12:50 AM
The year: 1984, summertime, 7 years old. The trip: First time to Florida to see my grandparents and a couple aunts, uncles and cousins who have moved down there. Little did I know, that was also gonna turn out to be my first trip to WDW. I didn't know about it till the day we were leaving from seeing the family.

There were a couple family members that had a couple things to say before we left though. My grandma thought it wasn't too keen of an idea to take me and my DBro to EPCOT Center b/c she thought it would be too boring for us. (As if!!! :D) And my Uncle Mike had to get the idea into my head that HM was scary beyond all belief! (Again, as if!!!:rotfl:)

Anyways, when we got there, I was just simply amazed at everything (even with me crying in the queue to HM b/c I was scared to go on it b/c I thought it was gonna be too scary :blush:...which btw, HM is my all-time fave ride after that day :D). Now mind you, I'm a kid that started with a Coleco-vision with an Atari 2600 adapter as my first video game console, always loved goin to the arcade to play the latest video games and pinball games, into big thrills and yet I loved MK and EPCOT Center. And it was only a 2-day trip there as well! From that trip alone, I was hooked.

Fast forward to a total of 27 trips later, a couple of which were solo trips, I now have 2 nieces that I adore and think of as my own daughters and guess what....they're hooked on it too! It's goin on 3 years since we've last been since the economy got tough on us and we couldn't go....but we're definitely trying to work out a way to go this year. And to this day, my fave park has been and most likely always will be MK. There have been rides and attractions that have come and gone (and I miss them all the time), and ones that have stood the test of time and still remain. But it's b/c of those rides and attractions that makes MK so special and I feel sorry for anyone who goes and doesn't really see it that way. It was the last idea, his imagination, of the man himself, Walt Disney, that it took his brother Roy to complete it after he was gone. And now we can't imagine a world without WDW, a place where we can be "within Walt's imagination" and also use our own. If you can't go there and become a kid again and have a blast, or at least look at it through the eyes of your own children (if you have any) and have fun with them, then honestly I believe you to be on the list of "The Most Boring People In The World"!!! :sleepin:

:rotfl::mickey::thumbsup:

MrPeetrie
03-19-2011, 10:47 AM
And to this day, my fave park has been and most likely always will be MK. There have been rides and attractions that have come and gone (and I miss them all the time), and ones that have stood the test of time and still remain. But it's b/c of those rides and attractions that makes MK so special and I feel sorry for anyone who goes and doesn't really see it that way. It was the last idea, his imagination, of the man himself, Walt Disney, that it took his brother Roy to complete it after he was gone. And now we can't imagine a world without WDW, a place where we can be "within Walt's imagination" and also use our own. If you can't go there and become a kid again and have a blast, or at least look at it through the eyes of your own children (if you have any) and have fun with them, then honestly I believe you to be on the list of "The Most Boring People In The World"!!! :sleepin:

:rotfl::mickey::thumbsup:

Perfectly said!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Davyjones
03-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Can't go to Disney looking for magic if you don't have it in you. That's what I believe. :mickey:

CanadaLovesDisney
03-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Can't go to Disney looking for magic if you don't have it in you. That's what I believe. :mickey:

Truer words were never spoken!

I cant wait to use this line!

Cjsmom1811
03-24-2011, 02:39 AM
I agree that kids now a days are to wrapped up in video games and violence. Their imaginations arent what ours, as adults, are or use to be. Magic Kingdom is your main source for all your favorite childhood friends to come to life!!

My friend and I went in 2006 for our highschool graduation. It was her first time going to WDW and we were 18. I had her close her eyes and walked her towards the top of mainstreet, when we got there she opened her eyes and saw the castle for the first time. She was literaly speachless until we stood right infront of the castle and then said, and i quote, "I feel like I am 5 again!" We had the most magical time EVER! We met Buzz Lightyear and she was in tears because she was so excited. I believe that we stayed for a week and we went to MK about 3 times.

I will ALWAYS treasure my memories at MK. In june I am going to WDW for a day with my boyfriends family and we are only going to MK. I hope that my son will grow up and enjoy all the MAGIC that MK has to offer. It is always our first and last park to go to when we visit WDW.

If you cant handle the magic, get out of the park ;)

Olivia's Daddy
03-24-2011, 12:14 PM
If your just looking at the rides, I can see how a pre-teen type might come to that conclusion. But the rides are only one facet of the entire park experience. If you go to a run of the mill park, you have a big plot of land with a bunch of rides on it. In that case the quality of the park is the quality of the rides. I would suggest to kids their age to take a closer look around and think about the entire MK experience, rather than just the rides.

WDWPrincess
06-02-2011, 12:45 PM
I think it's a safe bet that when your daughter is grown and has a family of her own, she will be taking them to Walt Disney World!

donnine
06-03-2011, 04:46 PM

I can see why your location is At the Edge of Reason. That's just UNREASONABLE.:confused:

donnine
06-03-2011, 04:48 PM
I can understand that taking kids for the 1st time at that age would result in that kind of response. I think, if you start taking the kids when they are younger, that the rides are not just entertainment but they become special because of the memories that go along with them. If you are looking for "Great America" type of rides, Disney is not the best place to go. You either understand the "Magic" or you don't. The "Magic" is why I keep going back. I imagine others feel the say way. The thrill rides are great but I would not miss any of the classics for anything.

I COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE!!! :mickey:

Tink#64
06-03-2011, 08:10 PM
It seems to me that I'm seeing a pattern here, the kids that are raised on WDW still love the magic as teens and older! We took DS's for their first time when they were 4 & 6, now after 6 trips, they still love it!

After visiting 3 years in a row, we started getting the question, "do we have to do this?"! At that point we started alternating years of WDW & beach vacations. This was supposed to be a beach year, until both DS's, 13 & 15, each said seperately, at different times, that they wished we were going to WDW this year! They said they missed it! So guess what, we arrive 3 weeks from tomorrow! Woo Hoo

We begin & end each trip with the MK! Epcot is favored park of myself & DH, both DS's fav's is DHS, with AK being our least favorite! But we still LOVE everything in MK with the exception of Astro Orbiters & Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse!

I firmly believe that WDW isn't for everyone, there are Disney people and there are muggles! :laughing:

figmagination
06-06-2011, 12:50 AM
I'm in the 10-16 age demographic, and I LOVE WDW. I'd go every year if I could. My mom got me into Intercot, and I'm now obsessed over Disney even more! Sounds like this family has been to Universal prior to the trip to Disney. Disney is the farthest thing from boring, especially MK. I've been going since I was tiny, and I'm so glad my family returns every 1-2 years. My brother, who is also a year younger than me, loves Disney. I don't think that Disney is unattractive to kids my age, it's quite fun. I recommend it to everyone.

McLiberal8
06-06-2011, 01:09 AM
I want to chime in.

MK, I would say, is my 3rd favorite park. As much as I enjoy the nostalgia of the park, a majority of it seems outdated, to me.

I think I would have a different appreciation for it if I were older. I am 25 years old. I have had the privilege of growing up in a culture where technology (and the expansion of it) has gone into hyperdrive.

The downfall of this is that I have been raised seeing effects grow from animatronics on Jurassic Park to the visual glory of Avatar.

When I go on rides like Jungle Cruise or Splash Mountain, I am humbled by the impressiveness of the technology from the day those rides opened. But I can't enjoy it for much more than that. I don't think this means I have a bad imagination, I just think it means that my imagination hasn't had to work hard. Ever. And I expect more. And to some degree, I expect consistency. It is hard to go on an attraction like Philharmagic or Monsters Inc and then enjoy Pirates of the Caribbean on the same level.

I am in no way trying to badmouth older attractions, and really do highly appreciate them for their connections to Walt Disney. But I can't expect everyone my age or younger to have the same appreciation.

WDWPrincess
02-07-2012, 02:51 PM
The Fantasyland expansion does not seem like it will help the issue of the Magic Kingdom's lack of "exciting" attractions for the pre-teen and teenager set. With the new Ariel attraction, they had an opportunity to make a ride that offered a bit more than a version of Snow White and Pooh in a clam shell. I would have hoped they would have brought back some 20,000 leagues creativity.

tinka
02-07-2012, 03:02 PM
I have a 13 year old boy and a 16 year old girl. We have been several times, but the last time being 2009. When we asked the kids what they wanted to do for vacation this year, thinking they would say the beach or an island...they both want to go back to WDW. They both LOVE the MK and it is probably our favorite park. I guess it just depends on how the kids have grown up and been taught to use their imaginations!!

jiminylover
02-07-2012, 07:50 PM
DD 13 and DS 11. We usually start our trip in the Magic Kingdom, but this time when we go we will be starting in Hollywood Studios because of Star Wars Weekends. My children are actually upset we are not going to MK first. But we can't do Star Wars WEEKENDS during the week, obviously.:mickey:

EeyoresBestFriend
02-07-2012, 11:22 PM
On our last trip, we were with a large group, mostly first timers.

Our day at MK, we get to the park at 10am and by 12:30pm my SIL takes her kids(nephew 6 & niece 4) back to the room because, and I quote, "THERE IS NOTHING FOR THE KIDS TO DO HERE"!!! :bang:

Are you kidding me?!?!?!? NEVER again . . . .

ronandjulie
02-08-2012, 12:44 PM
We are locals and Annual passholders to WDW and Universal, and we always will be. The MK is boring but I love it. I know it's not fair to compare Universal to WDW but I do every time I visit. It appears to my family that Universal has heard the WDW complaints and is offering the solution. They are building bigger, better, more exciting, more relevant attractions that will attract everyone from teen to adult. They have a small section of IOA for the little ones, but that's clearly not their target audience. They have Harry Potter and people love it! Meanwhile, Disney is focusing all of their resources on Fantasyland. Fantasyland is going to be incredible, but it is for the really young children. WDW is always busy and the MK is always the busiest so I don't think WDW is too worried but many, many companies have lost business or closed in America because they rested on their past succceses and did not change with what the consumer wanted. It used to be that everyone came to Florida and just went to WDW. Then they came and went to WDW and also visited Universal for a day. How long until they come primarily to visit Universal and go to WDW for just a day or two? I don't think it's out of the question.

ChipNDale79
02-08-2012, 01:32 PM
We are locals and Annual passholders to WDW and Universal, and we always will be. The MK is boring but I love it. I know it's not fair to compare Universal to WDW but I do every time I visit. It appears to my family that Universal has heard the WDW complaints and is offering the solution. They are building bigger, better, more exciting, more relevant attractions that will attract everyone from teen to adult. They have a small section of IOA for the little ones, but that's clearly not their target audience. They have Harry Potter and people love it! Meanwhile, Disney is focusing all of their resources on Fantasyland. Fantasyland is going to be incredible, but it is for the really young children. WDW is always busy and the MK is always the busiest so I don't think WDW is too worried but many, many companies have lost business or closed in America because they rested on their past succceses and did not change with what the consumer wanted. It used to be that everyone came to Florida and just went to WDW. Then they came and went to WDW and also visited Universal for a day. How long until they come primarily to visit Universal and go to WDW for just a day or two? I don't think it's out of the question.

I'll freely admit that it's been years since I've been to Universal nor am I all that familiar with booking a trip through them.

But speaking as someone who stays on property at WDW, WDW makes it very hard to leave their property. Typically if I go to Orlando I'm going to WDW for at least 4 days, a day at each park. I've thought about doing Universal on the remaining days, but do I spend the extra money to go to Universal, or do I pay just a few dollars more to stay at WDW?

The price difference between days at WDW really drops off afer 4-5 days. For example, with park hopper it only cost $7 more for an 8th day in a WDW park vs a 7th day.

I'd love to go to Universal,I just have a hard time justifying spending the extra money to go sometimes.

I've recently started reading the Harry Potter books (yeah i know, I'm years behind), but this very well could be the thing that pushes me over the edge to visit Universal. We'll see though.

Brian McFan
02-09-2012, 07:50 AM
I think its a generational thing. Every year I tell friends I'm going to Disney, their usual first quip is "What are you like 10 years old?" Like most, I live a stress filled life. The "magic" of WDW in general and of the Magic Kingdom in particular is its instant ability to make you feel "10" years old again. This is no fluke. Its was the main intent of Mr. Disney himself, and the many Imagineers who followed this basic tenet after he passed. That's the magic folks. Don't fight it, embrace it. Many young people can't understand this just yet. Let life come to them and they'll understand. I can almost guarantee that.

MonkeyBaby
02-10-2012, 10:41 AM
That's the magic folks. Don't fight it, embrace it. Many young people can't understand this just yet.

I think it's because society tries to grow our kids up too quickly. Maybe some kids look at their parents and think they have to grow up like them... either way it's sad. My girls know I am just a big kid at heart and they couldn't be happier at Magic Kingdom :cloud9: Maybe they cue in on my excitement, wonderment and overall awe everytime I step onto Mainstreet...

My eleven year old can't wait to get to MK... I take pride in that :mickey:

-Dave

TinkerbellT421
02-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Wow, I can't believe I have missed this thread!

Very interesting discussion, I enjoyed reading all the comments. And love the OP's description in her post, I couldn't agree more.

This topic brought me to a situation that happened at Test Track when we were there in January. We were behind a father with two sons, aged about 9 and 10, he turned to the sons in line and said "Okay, after this we are going to Magic Kingdom" and the kids started whinning "Dad, do we have to, I don't like that park!" the father said "You're going, and you're going to like it" which made me and DBF bust out laughing of course, and the father looked at us and said "They have been whinning the whole time about how there are no 'good rides'" while rolling his eyes, so he turns to them and says "And if you whine about it anymore we are going to sit in the Presidents show ALL DAY!" DBF looked at the kids and said "Be careful around here, you might actually learn something" and the father said "EXACTLY!!" so needless to say we had fun going back and forth with them throughout the line and in our car, they were with us.

This thread literally brought me back to that moment and me thinking to myself, how can these children not appreciate the magic and the value? How can they ONLY care about thrill rides. I don't get it, but I also don't have children and I am of the "old school" mentality with life, like what we have no to what we didn't have then. So, basically, is it because the children of this generation just have too much of the best? And cannot appreciate the "wow's of the past"? I personally think so.

Stu29573
02-10-2012, 11:44 AM
As I have said on this thread before, my daughter is now 22 and the Magic Kingdom has always been her favorite park. Maybe it's because I explained what movies certain attractions came from, or what was going on in the world when something was designed (although I'm now a school counselor, I taught history for quite a while), but I don't really think so. I think its just because it suites her temperament better than thrill ride filled parks. So maybe that's the key. Different strokes for different folks!:mickey:

forever a child
02-10-2012, 04:55 PM
I firmly believe that WDW isn't for everyone, there are Disney people and there are muggles! :laughing:

:exactly:

I can't believe this thread is still going! :thumbsup:

jwallace378
02-10-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm a 33 year old male and I still love MK. I loved it as a kid and even a teenager. Now, as an adult with my own wife and son, I walk into MK and leave the "real world" behind. I enjoy watching my son having the time of his life. Maybe I'm just nostalgic for my memories from my childhood in MK.

ronandjulie
02-11-2012, 08:26 AM

So NOT true. I grew up Disney. I Love WDW. I always will. The MK will always be Magical to me and my family. We go to the MK at least 3-4 times a month and it never loses it's magic. That being said, we absolutely love Universal. It is an amazing place. faster pace, more energetic, way way way less strollers :) . The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is, in my opinion, the best themed area of ANY theme park I've ever been in. My family is proof that you can truly love both places for different reasons. When we want to have a magical fun filled day, we go to WDW. When we want a fast paced exciting day, we go to Universal. We are true to each place. We never wear Universal swag at WDW and we never wear WDW gear at Universal. We are purists! lol.

wiltsan
02-13-2012, 03:20 PM
No such thing as boring, just boring people.....

Perhaps in today's day and age, with all the devices (myself and my DD/7 included) MK might seem boring but true believers know that it's not about the biggest thrill or most violent, action packed attraction but it is about the themeing (read: imagination when you go to a Disney park). You can go to Universal, SeaWorld, Six Flags or Great Escape and you will never get the same type of themeing that is provided at Disney.

Perhaps senses are dulled due to the devices? Many people aren't even lucky enough to go to WDW once so I suggest anyone that gets to go at all is grateful.

For my part, at 45 years old, the minute I walk through the gate of MK and see the Castle looming down main street, I get goosebumps and well up. Young at heart and I am teaching my daughter to appreciate the same.

Goes4FastPass
02-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Why are we discussing this? - and I realize I'm 'bumping' this thread by replying.

What do you tell a kid who complains about being board? "Go find a box and fill it with things from your room to donate to the Salvation Army"?

I can't think of ANYONE more boring in the universe than someone who complains about the Magic Kingdom being boring! Can't we just tell these schlubs, "Then go someplace else. Please. Immediatly." "What? Me convince you that the Magic Kingdom isn't boring? No thanks! I would find that to be very boring."

KatieDuck22
02-14-2012, 09:24 AM
to me thats just a sad relfection of how society strips magic away younger and younger. It's also sad they couldn't appreciate the magic of it all without looking for some "big drop". Long live the Magic Kingdom!!:mickey:

mommyprincess
02-19-2012, 02:57 PM
As the parent of a 14 & 16 year olds, my kids enjoy ALL the parks and Magic Kingdom is one of their favs. Boring is definitely not the word I would use to describe it. Life if not about racing from one thrill to another but enjoying the little things with a few thrills sprinkled in to excite us. True, Main street is not thrilling but the smells coming out of the candy shop or the bakery can't be beat! Riding in Captain Hooks ship may not make out hearts jump but to look down onto London and see all the lights it truly breath taking. My daughter knows more about the Carrousel of Progress than the imagineers do and I think that is far better than being able to list all the Kardashian sister. My son (a video game freak) also has an imagination that would even make Walt proud and always talks of ways he would add more animatronics (not mannequins) to an attraction. That’s another thing...it’s not just a ride to us, it’s an attraction...we are drawn to the creativity that went into its design and the sheer fun and silliness that keeps us coming back. Magic Kingdom boring? I think not...I blame their parents for not showing them that fun can be found in lots of places and you don't have to be going a hundred miles an hour to have it...:mickey:

wiltsan
02-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Amen, Brian McFan

LoveofEVERYTHINGDisney
02-22-2012, 10:09 AM
In 2010 we (hubby & I) took my 15 year old daughter and her friend to WDW. Before we left our room at the resort to start our park hopping, my husband told my daughters friend that she was going to "LOVE" MK having never visited before. Let me first say my husband is not the sentimental kind of guy. He tried to express to her how MK 'makes you feel' as you walk down Main St. and the happiness is infectious! My daughter & I both chimed in to reiterate his sentiments. After we had been at MK for about an hour the "friend" said how boring the park was and actually said she was disappointed that she had agreed to come on the trip. My daughter was crushed as were we. She repeated, throughout the course of the week, that she didn't enjoy any of the parks. One evening we had done the Fantasmic dinner package at Mama Melrose. My daughter & I had planned this trip with the excitement of seeing Fantasmic. After dinner the "friend" said she was ill and needed to return to the resort. My daughter was torn. She wanted to be true to her friend but she wanted to see the show. In the end she returned to the resort with her friend and missed the show. It came out later that the friend only wanted to return to the resort b/c she had met some boys at the pool the night earlier and hoped to meet up with them again! My daughter was crushed. I felt bad as well. I guess the moral is not everyone can "feel" the Disney magic. We are returning to Disney in May and my daughter is bringing another friend. This girl is as excited as we are. I hope it all works out well! lol!

MrPeetrie
02-22-2012, 01:05 PM
loveEVERYTHINGDisney, first off, my heart breaks for both you and your daughter. I know how excited you can get about seeing others enjoy Disney they way you do. And when they have the opposite reaction, it is disheartening. I know first hand.

In 2002, we asked my parents to join us in WDW. They had been making excuses the past two trips for not coming and were reluctant to join us in 2002, as well. They were vacationing in Fort Lauderdale and my mom didn't want to leave the beach. My dad talked her into meeting us for four days. We got them rooms at the Caribbean Resort.

"If we don't go at least once, they'll keep numbing us! We'll go one time and they'll leave us alone."

They arrived early and we took them to then-Disney-MGM Studios. We rode the Tower of Terror, Rock n Rollercoaster, Great Movie Ride, and saw the Indiana Jones Stunt Show. Then we took the Friendship boat ride to the Boardwalk Resort for some pizza. Afterwards, we walked into Epcot. We spent time in the pavillions, saw Illuminations, and shopped at MouseGear. They were blown away!!! What a great way to start a trip.
The next day, we went to the Magic Kingdom, then Hoop de Doo Review. After four days, they were hooked!!!

"When's the next trip?" my dad asked.

Later that same year, we decided to take my in-laws. After seeing the turnaround my own parents did, we were expecting a similar reaction. I made ADRs months in advance for things I thought they'd enjoy. I purchased MVMCP tickets, because it is one of my favorite events on property and I thought they'd love it.

Through a booking snafu, I was able to get us 2nd floor rooms at the Animal Kingdom Lodge at a very reasonable rate. (Long story, but Disney was amazing.) After check-in, we went to Disney's Animal Kingdom. Afterward, we were supposed to go to Downtown Disney for some shopping, but they were tired and wanted to return to the resort. We ate at Boma's. Great meal. (I had Oxen tail soup.) I guess the bill shocked them, because my father-in-law turned to me and asked, "What else do you have planned?"
"Chef Mickey's Tomorrow."
"Cancel it. We don't want to go. What else?"

In fact, I canceled almost all of our ADRs. On the night of the MVMCP -- the event I was most looking forward to -- one got sick and they stayed at the resort. The tickets are non-refundable, but Disney gave me credit to use on my room key.
After seeing Fantasmic, I turned to my mother-in-law and said, "Can you believe you get all this for the price of admission?"
"For what they charge, this is the least I would expect."

On the final day, my mother-in-law took me aside and said, "We see all these other people here having fun and they obviously 'get it.' And we don't. And that's ok. And if we never come back, that's ok, too."

My DW and I were so heartbroken. We had such hopes they'd enjoy themselves. I jumped through hoops to plan a vacation I thought they'd enjoy. And in the end, they just wanted it to be over.

Tell you daughter not to be too dismayed. It is far better to go through life seeing the "Magic" that can and does exist rather than being a detractor.

LoveofEVERYTHINGDisney
02-23-2012, 04:44 AM
Tony -
To this day I cannot talk about that trip to my daughter. It's as if it never happened. When discussing this upcoming trip to her friend that is joining us I mistakingly brought it up. Oops! My bad! She got so sad. Her friend picked up on this and told her it was ok to have those feelings but not too worry. She said "Kate was a bad egg - I'm not. I can't tell you how excited and appreciative I am that you have invited me along. Can't wait to see that Fantasmic show and see Mickey! And remember I have beaten you many times at Disney Scene-it!" My heart sailed! I think we found a "good-egg"!
BTW- your M-I-L sounds just like mine! She doesn't see the 'magic' either!

MrPeetrie
02-23-2012, 11:35 AM
LoveofEVERYTHINGDisney, I hope you, your daughter, and her friend have the best time. She seems like she "gets it."

My sister and her family have intimated they want to join us this October. DW and I have reservations. They have never been to WDW and Disney is no Cedar Point. You need a completely different mindset. We don't want a repeat of that disastrous 2002 trip. After that one, we agreed "Never again!"

LoveofEVERYTHINGDisney
02-24-2012, 04:55 AM
Tony-
If they want to join you maybe they should stay at a different resort than you. We went to WDW with good friends several years back. I love them dearly but we have also nicknamed them "the Bickersons". They'll argue about just about anything including the color of the sky! lol! Anyway having them stay at AS and us at POFQ was the solution. If we felt things were getting a little "too real" we went our own separate way. We also didn't have to listen to them on the bus back to the resort after a long day. This was their first trip to the World and we showed them what we loved but they also "explored" on their own. My DH was extremely apprehensive about spending too much time with them. He wondered "what if they don't like the same things about the parks that we do?" In the end it worked out perfectly. We didn't eat every meal together and we did EMH while they slept. We went to EPCOT while they did BB and so on. Maybe if you have this kind of plan it will be wonderful. BTW - did you tell them the difference between Cedar Point and WDW? Actually - did you tell them there is NO comparison?! LOL! I wish you luck! :)
Pam
AKA - LoveofEVERYTHINGDisney

WDWPrincess
06-17-2012, 01:42 AM
The magic is there for those who want to see it. I sometimes think the problem is in the pricing. More and more, WDW is becoming a place that more and more cannot afford. It breaks my heart seeing families that saved for years to get to go - and then realize once they arrive how expensive everything truly is. I've seen many sad faces in The Emporioum because they simply can't afford a souvenier. I am not naive. I understand how the economy works. But some families go in with the best intentions and the magic is erased by sticker shock.

mgmnut
06-17-2012, 08:48 AM
We have a trip coming up. My 14 y/o daughter wanted to bring a friend. My answer was no!! I don't need to chance a negative outside influence on a family trip. We do the big rides at other parks, (Six Flags, Cedar Point, Kings Dominion, etc) that is not what Disney is all about. My kids asked me to cancel an already planned trip to the Cayman Islands this year to go back to Disney even though we went last year. Both also said no Universal this time, they just want to enjoy Disney for the whole trip and take advantage of the things to do outside of the 4 parks, TL, BB, DTD, and more resort amenities. I just wouldn't chance bringing a wet blanket to ruin all that enthusiasm. If a child we brought was complaining they were bored I would want to put them on a plane home early and enjoy the rest of my trip. We have had trips where we go with others. We have been lucky and have gone with people who enjoy WDW as much as we do, but we don't spend 100% of our time together either, it was probably more like 50%. This way we make our own family memories and they make theirs.

Caroleh
06-17-2012, 11:38 AM
I think it could happen at any age. There seem to be people who just get the magic and connect with Disney parks and then people who don't get it and do not understand. Those are the people who say "you're going to Disney World, again?" Or can't believe that adults would go without children. Or think they're just boating by mannequins instead of seeing a whole world of fun and adventure in the details. We're obviously the people who get it and don't understand the "MK is boring" mentality, but to each her own. I don't think it has to do with age or generation.

I agree..I went to WDW the first time as an adult and fell in love with it. We have been going back every year and never grow tired of it, there's always something new to experience. We like to sit back and pay attention to the details...those alone will amaze you. But then again, I have a very active imagination!!

j2k
06-17-2012, 06:41 PM
My DD is 5, I know she will see the magic and love it. My DH has never been and he's the one I'm wondering about. I hope he sees the magic and sees how great the whole WDW Resort is.

Tinkerbella16
06-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Different strokes for different folks. I have felt the magic of MK and all of WDW for that matter since I was 6 years old. The only thing I ever felt or thought was boring ever in all my years of visiting, was Epcot when I was a kid. Now, at 26 years old, Epcot is my favorite park. Its amazing how I learned to appreciate the park as I got older. MK has never been boring to me and I don't think it ever will. I love those slow moving rides.. you really get to take in the details of the ride. WDW won't please everyone, especially kids.

tigz9299
06-19-2012, 03:25 AM
I can empathize with the younger people that are "thrill seekers",and just don't get or appreciate what Disney is all about,but there are those of us"elders' that truly understand what all the hoopla is about. I am 56 years old ,have lived in Florida for 43 years. went to Disney the 1st year it opened,and cannot even estimate how many times I have been to the parks..a conservative guess would have to be co-lose to 100 times..i go to the parks 2 or 3 times a yearfor 2-3 days at a time.plus my wife and i try to attend either the Candlelight Processional or MVMCP each year..i am going over on July 1st and 2nd by myself just to be there..it is hard to describe the feeling of walking down Main Street,riding the monorail,or all the other "outdated rides',but you either get it or you don't... can remember as a child,the highlight of our weekend was on Sunday night watching Disney on NBC,along with Wild Kingdom...just one man's opinion..

mommy2maddi
06-19-2012, 01:02 PM
I think this is really sad. :cry: In this technology-obsessed generation, children are not being children. They are constantly connected to a device and are losing their ability to even communicate in a way other than texting. They grow up way too fast and have to be constantly stimulated in an extreme way to be happy. I see all too often, children who have no imagination and no creativity. To say that MK is boring because it doesn't have the extreme rides like the rest of the parks is disappointing. I can only hope that my daughters (5&9) find these attractions to be visually stimulating and a pleasant experience like I do. I also love TOT and EE but I know there is more to excitement than just stomach-churning drops and G-forces.

mommy2maddi
06-19-2012, 01:04 PM
The magic is there for those who want to see it.

That is very true!!! :mickey:

mommy2maddi
06-19-2012, 01:39 PM
to me thats just a sad relfection of how society strips magic away younger and younger. It's also sad they couldn't appreciate the magic of it all without looking for some "big drop". Long live the Magic Kingdom!!:mickey:
My sentiments EXACTLY!!! Especially the part about stripping the magic away younger and younger. Children are not children past the age of two!!! So sad!!!!!:(

DeFe
06-19-2012, 09:16 PM

Perfectly said. Disney World, and in particular The Magic Kingdom, is all about the magic. It is an intangible that cannot be described.

Anyone looking for thrill rides is better off going to a Six Flags.

Mousemates
06-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Anyone looking for thrill rides is better off going to a Six Flags.

Or Universal Studios :secret:

MNNHFLTX
06-20-2012, 12:35 PM
In 2010 we (hubby & I) took my 15 year old daughter and her friend to WDW. Before we left our room at the resort to start our park hopping, my husband told my daughters friend that she was going to "LOVE" MK having never visited before. Let me first say my husband is not the sentimental kind of guy. He tried to express to her how MK 'makes you feel' as you walk down Main St. and the happiness is infectious! My daughter & I both chimed in to reiterate his sentiments. After we had been at MK for about an hour the "friend" said how boring the park was and actually said she was disappointed that she had agreed to come on the trip. My daughter was crushed as were we. She repeated, throughout the course of the week, that she didn't enjoy any of the parks. One evening we had done the Fantasmic dinner package at Mama Melrose. My daughter & I had planned this trip with the excitement of seeing Fantasmic. After dinner the "friend" said she was ill and needed to return to the resort. My daughter was torn. She wanted to be true to her friend but she wanted to see the show. In the end she returned to the resort with her friend and missed the show. It came out later that the friend only wanted to return to the resort b/c she had met some boys at the pool the night earlier and hoped to meet up with them again! My daughter was crushed. I felt bad as well. I guess the moral is not everyone can "feel" the Disney magic.I feel your pain. When my son was 14 we invited one of his friends to vacation with us in Southern California, including three days at Disneyland. While he was not as blunt about his lack of interest as your daughter's friend, it was clear early on that he did not share our enthusiasm for everything we were doing. It truly put a damper on the trip.

I think the thing that strikes me about your situation was how rude this girl was in voicing her opinions the way she did. Did her parents not teach her any manners? When someone has opened up their wallets and their lives to take another person on vacation, you expect them to make the best of it or at least be respectful. :shake:

banditlove
06-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Magic is in the eye of the beholder. Some find MK magical, some find Universal Studios magical, some would rather be boiled in oil than go to a theme park and think that New York or Grand Canyon or whale watching are magical. It doesn't indicate lack of imagination - simply personal preference. My family are thrill seekers. DH flies planes, DS rides dirtbikes, DD jumps horses and I love galloping my horse ax fast as his short legs will carry him. DD and DSprefer Universal for the thrill rides. For us, MK is a 1/2 day park. We enjoy it, but only go on a few favorite rides (mountains, pirates, mansion, philharmonic), some atmosphere and pass on the parades/shows.

I don't think this is indicative of any lack in us. Just personal preference.

dsnyfan001
06-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Kids and adults, yes adults dont see past their phone screens or computer screens to truly appreciate certain things in life. They are so stuck into their busy lives to realize that they, just may be boring and cant see the fact that they actually suffer from boringsydrome. Yes its out there, Boringsydrome, its a disease that affects the brain to make it boring. It is Hereditary ...the kids are born with the disease and are affected at certain ages...depending on when the brain decides to want to be boring. Just dont let it affect your family..:secret:

No seriously, I can see that some of the attractions are older but they are still to this very day enjoyable , my uncle and his daughter talked so much trash about the parks and how stupid and childish I was for going every year and how can one person waste their money on Disney? Until ...last year when they went. Now all they do is talk Disney. They fell in love with the parks, some families just cant see past the attractions and somehow , i dont understand, they dont have a disney desire. Those are the people i really feel bad for... as for me ill never get bored with the park . I am addicted. :thumbsup::mickey: