PDA

View Full Version : The Wave OR Grand Floridian Cafe????

michellerose1579
07-07-2010, 08:10 AM
OK so originially I had Whispering Canyon Cafe booked for our first meal, but it's my mother's first time at Disney and she is very shy and sensitive. Someone told me about the antics at WCC and I got nervous that she would be miserable, so I called the hotline and asked for help. The lady was very nice and suggested the Wave since my requirements were that it be 1 Table Service and be within the area (because its our first night I wanted something within the area of our hotel). I was talking to my pastor's wife lastnight and she told me that the Wave is terrible and not to go there. I called the hotline again lastnight and explained my perdicament and the lady suggested the Grand Floridian Cafe. In my Passporter the Wave got a higher rating than the Grand Floridian Cafe... I need some feedback here, as its stressing me out!!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-07-2010, 08:39 AM
I've never eaten there but I have heard others rave about Grand Floridian Cafe....

andreallybadeggs
07-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Can not comment on Wave but have dined at the GFC. Not sure I can "rave" since I don't even remember what I ate but do remember that it was a pleasant experience and we thought both the food and the service were good.

SBETigg
07-07-2010, 09:31 AM
I haven't tried the Wave, but the reviews I've seen are wildly up and down. Some people loved it. Most people say it was okay. Others (and this seems to be the majority of what I've seen, but then the negatives are always loudest) say it was their worst dining experience ever and they would never never go back. I generally don't pay attention to reviews, because any two or more people are going to have different opinions. But, when the reviews are so strongly varied and inconsistent, it usually points to a problem with consistency in the kitchen. Are you going to catch the good Wave, or the bad one? It's a risk.

We could call it Chefs de France syndrome. Though Chefs is more evenly keeled these days (getting mostly good reviews), it had a phase of the up and down reviews that really hurt it for awhile.

Grand Floridian Cafe, on the other hand, gets mostly glowing reviews. I love it, and I think it's a great bet for 1 TS meal. Plus, it has a comfortable elegance that mothers tend to love.

WishingStar2006
07-07-2010, 09:35 AM
I have been to both and would choose the Grand Floridian Cafe over The Wave without hesitation. The Grand Floridian Cafe is quiet, relaxed...the food is really good and the service is wonderful.

KAT1811
07-07-2010, 10:20 AM
If it were me I would choose the GFC. I have reviewed both menus and the GFC is the one that appeals the most to me. We used to love the Concourse Steakhouse in the Contemporary but sadly it is no longer there.

If it were me and I were looking for a 1TS in the area there are others I would choose over both the GFC and Wave. Our family loves 1900 Park Fare, Trails End, and 'Ohana.

Good luck!!!

:mickey:

disney1122
07-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Our family has been to both...Wave for dinner, GFC for breakfast. Both were good, but we enjoyed GFC alot better.

I would say GFC - have fun!

buzznwoodysmom
07-07-2010, 11:39 AM
We tried Grand Floridian Cafe for the first time in June. It was actually my birthday dinner. I hadn't booked any ADRs for my birthday so we called from our room that morning and took whatever was available. We were pleasantly surprised at what a wonderful meal we had. It was quiet and peaceful, somthing it sounds like your mother would enjoy. We've never tried the Wave, mainly because of all the horrible reviews we've read. So I can't compare the two, but I don't think you (or your mother) will be disappointed in GFC. I also want to add that the service was top notch. Probably the best service we had at a meal the entire trip. I think it would be a great first meal of the trip!

renecat
07-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Another vote for the GFC it's a must do for us at least once during our visit. Your mother will enjoy this.

HackLaSalle
07-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Man now I'm getting nervous for our trip to The Wave. I picked it cause the menu looked very different and appealing. All these negative comments are making me want to switch ADRs.

SBETigg
07-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Man now I'm getting nervous for our trip to The Wave. I picked it cause the menu looked very different and appealing. All these negative comments are making me want to switch ADRs.

Don't forget there are people who love it. If it looks different and appealing to you, you should keep your plans. Not to contradict my earlier advice. I would still choose GFC over The Wave due to consistency issues, but that doesn't mean either one is a bad choice.

diz_girl
07-07-2010, 01:37 PM
If you are looking for more traditional fare, then go with the GF Cafe. The Wave is a lot more 'foodie', which turns-off a lot of people. The GF Cafe has great food in a lovely atmosphere. Your mother will probably like it very much.

pox24
07-07-2010, 02:05 PM
This is not even a horserace. It pains me to give any WDW Rest. a black eye, but we found the Wave very disappointing. The GFC is a kept secret at the world. You will love it.

SBETigg
07-07-2010, 02:10 PM
If you are looking for more traditional fare, then go with the GF Cafe. The Wave is a lot more 'foodie', which turns-off a lot of people. The GF Cafe has great food in a lovely atmosphere. Your mother will probably like it very much.

I don't know. I'm more foodie and I've seen reviews from lots of foodie types and it seems to be just as up and down for them as anyone else. I don't think it's the "foodie" quality that is turning people off. It could be, but I still think it's a kitchen consistency issue.

PopPhan
07-07-2010, 03:04 PM

We've eaten at The Wave and enjoyed the meal. We just thought the restaurant itself was a bit on the 'sterile' side - no real personality, no real "Disney" feeling.

GFC, on the other hand, was absolutely great! Good food, nice cozy atmosphere - made you feel like you were at a shoreside restaurant in a bygone era. (GFC would fit nicely on the Boardwalk!!)

SurferStitch
07-07-2010, 03:28 PM
DH and I have eaten at The Wave, and absolutely despised our meals. The food and service were downright terrible, and we have never returned. We had never had such tasteless food and cheap cuts of meat at a restaurant of that price range. Deep fried crabcake hockey puck appetizers should not cost $11.49 (I know they say pan seared, but they were so greasy, hard and pasteurized they felt like deep fried).

We do, however, love the GFC. Great food, atmosphere and excellent service. We usually do breakfast there, but we've had excellent dinners there as well.

I'd go with the Grand Flo Cafe!! :thumbsup:

big blue and hairy
07-07-2010, 06:21 PM
DW and I have been to both and liked both. Based on that, I would say it depends what kind of experience you want. The Wave is more dark, while GFC is open and airy. Both experiences where very nice, but obviously, different. Hope that helped. :D

:sulley:

hokies4life
07-07-2010, 07:21 PM
We just ate at the Wave this past Monday. I loved the black bean chili appetizer but was disappointed in my burger. I wasn't interested in anything else on the menu and we went to it because my mom really likes it. I was surprised how extremely empty the restaurant was at lunch time. There were only about 5 tables with people at them when we were there at 1pm.

Haven't eaten at GFC though, but I figured I would share our experience at The Wave. I would probably eat there again.

MonoMan
07-07-2010, 07:32 PM
We've dined at the GFC multiple times and The Wave twice - all of our experiences have been wonderful. I would let the menu help you decide which one your family would enjoy more. On our next trip we will go back to The Wave, but skip the GFC based on the menu.

Disnamic Duo
07-08-2010, 03:10 PM

We ate at the Wave last November. It's just been the one time, but our dinner and service were excellent. I had pork tenderloin and my wife had chicken. Both meals were delicious. the atmosphere was nice and relaxing and private (at least where we were seated). We'll go back.

LandFan
07-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Our family has been to both...Wave for dinner, GFC for breakfast. Both were good, but we enjoyed GFC alot better.

I would say GFC - have fun!

Us too!

MinnieMommie
07-09-2010, 05:54 PM
I've eaten at both and I hands down recommend GFC over The Wave. I will unlikely eat at The Wave again (not a positive experience all around on our January trip). For food, atmosphere and staff I don't think you can compare the two.

GFC consistently offers good fare, reasonable prices, great and gracious service and beautiful surroundings. Based on my family's experience at The Wave I don't have one good thing to say or any reason to recommend this establishment.

Bethanymouse
07-10-2010, 11:27 AM
We have never eaten at the Wave. We have attempted many times, by attempted I mean thought about it! But everytime I look at the menu, I am just not impressed so we always decide to skip it.

Last trip, our honeymoon, we decided to try the Grand Floridian Cafe for dinner. We were pleasantly surprised. The wait staff was wonderful and the food was delicious. We would definitely think about returning again if we were staying a long time. It isnt our first choice, but that isnt due to the cafe itself, more to the fact that we LOVE so many other places. I think giving the Cafe a try is worth it!:mickey: