PDA

View Full Version : Availability Question

WDW*Dreamer
07-04-2010, 04:41 PM
My wife and I have made the decision to join DVC. We’re just waiting for the right opportunity to show up in the resale market for Animal Kingdom Lodge. I do have one last question. My only concern at this point is our ability to make our vacation plans early enough to get the rooms we want. I’m sure we’ll make it happen. Our trips to Disney hold a pretty high priority in our family. It’s just we’ve never had to plan more than a few months in advance in the past. I have read through many of the posts on Intercot regarding people’s troubles (or lack of trouble) getting the rooms they want. However, many of these posts are older or very specific situations. So, here’s my specific “what-if” situation......

Based on your experience with DVC, if I were to wait until October to find and finalize my DVC membership, what is the probability I will be able to get a 1-Bedroom Suite (any view) at AKL (my home resort) for the week of 5/28/11 through 6/4/11? What are the chances I could get in BLT that same week?

I tried calling DVC and asking about availability at AKL 7 months from now (as a sample test), but they won’t speak to you if your not a member.

Thanks for your help,
WDW*Dreamer

DisneyGiant
07-04-2010, 06:44 PM
I don't know if I can answer your question specifically - but I can tell you what I do - but I am a major planner.

At 11 months out - I always reserve my villa in Saratoga to guarantee that we have a place to stay when we want to go.

I need the reassurance that I will have a place to stay.

Then at 7 months out - I call and switch to the Boardwalk or Beach Club. I have always gotten this request (knocking on wood here). :mickey:

I think you need to get a feel from the AKV members how that resort tends to book...... I have a feeling that the BLT is probably very hard to get in - with its novelty......

Good luck with your decision - I have never regretted once buying into DVC. Its made staying at WDW every year very affordable for us.

Simba 1
07-05-2010, 07:30 AM
I can't exactly answer your question either, as we are new to DVC. I thought you might find it useful to know our experience with the length of time to purchase through re-sale. We made an offer on May 19th, and it was accepted the same day by the seller. We closed on June 21st. We were in the Disney reservation system on June 28th. So in all it took just over a month.

From reading all the posts, it sounds like the home resort advantage is a big one (the 11 month booking window) so if you are able to plan your purchase so you can make your reservation by early Oct, you might better your chances for getting exactly what you want.

Good luck!

FiggyFan
07-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Your trip starts on Memorial Day weekend. That will probably make the place a bit more crowded. My experience has been that certain holidays and special events are tough to get -December/Christmas/New Years, Epcot F&W festival at BWV or BCV, and so on. I'm not sure how tough Memorial Day is. For a May 28 arrival, the 7 month window opens on October 28. If you get through the process before the 28th, you will still be in the 11 month home resort priority window, and will have a much better chance.

Good luck finding the points you want!

Plex
07-05-2010, 05:22 PM
It seems to me that you have to be flexible on SOME part of your trip when you're booking with DVC. If you're not flexible on dates, you need to be flexible on resort, and vice versa. If you have a set one-week period during a busy time of year and you're trying to book the most popular resort that you're not an owner at.... you might have trouble. If you've got a month window that you're willing to travel in you will have a much better chance at getting what you want.

MinnieMommie
07-06-2010, 05:47 AM
My thoughts are that you may not be able to get what you are looking for at BLT at the 7 month window during this time frame. AKL is a very large property with many more rooms. I think you will have a better chance getting into AKL at the 7 month window but given it is Memorial Day weekend that too may be in more demand.

I think it will also be very hard to get a value or concierge room at AKL at the 7 month window. On the other hand SSR is very nice at least you will have some place nice to stay. This is just based on my experience. I own at SSR and BLT and have had trouble getting into BLT after the 11 month window but have always been able to get into AKL at the 7 month window. Hope this helps. :mickey:

eeyore27
07-06-2010, 07:39 PM
We just purchased in Nov 2009 and our home is AKL. We were able to book a studio at BLT for 5/21-5/29/10. As a previos poster stated, you are looking to start Memorial Weekend which could be busier.