PDA

View Full Version : What's up with plane fares?

Gator
07-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Being on the other side of the States, I'm always waiting for a cheap air fare to show up before I can go to WDW. My vacation window is Nov through Mid Feb. I've been checking flights for this time since January and they have not budged an inch from $318 our of Sacramento.

I just find it odd that it hasn't moved at all. Usually at some point in the spring, they drop quite a it - below $250 usually. I can't go until I see that price appear. So what's going on?

sonkist32
07-03-2010, 03:15 PM
welcome to the new world of no more cheap airfare. The lowered the number of planes flying so there is less supply...less supply means they can charge more..stinks for us.

DizneyRox
07-03-2010, 04:27 PM
The past few years, the cheapest fares have been pretty much as they are released. In fact, this trip is the most I paid for airfare since about 1995 or so. No more $59 one way fares, I was thankful for a $109 for my upcoming trip, and one leg is approaching $150! Soon enough it will be cheaper to drive and I'll need to think about it.

forever a child
07-03-2010, 04:28 PM
I too have been watching for cheaper flights. Not for WDW this time but for a trip for my DD later this summer. Just have to keep watching I guess! ;)

dnickels
07-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Like Rox said, this has been going on for a few years now. Fuel costs are the biggest driver of fares and aren't going back to where they were when airfare was super cheap. The days of flying from the west coast to the east coast for $200 bucks round trip may never be seen again. $318 to get from Cali to Orlando sounds pretty good to me.

I've wondered how that's going to affect DVC owners. People who bought with the idea that they'd always be able to fly the whole family down for under $500 bucks total and now are looking at prices double that. I suppose that's another discussion but just something I think about anytime the subject of flight costs to Disney come up.

Spartan_Jeff
07-03-2010, 05:15 PM
For anyone flying from mid-michigan. Sun Country is starting service from Lansing to orlando for 89.00 each way. starts in December, I think we might do this if we go in jan. or feb.

mickeyman42
07-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Here is something to scare you. If we get lucky and get a seat sale we may only have to pay $199 pp each way plus taxes, if we cant get a seat sale its $319 reg fare pp each way plus taxes. now we have 4 people to pay for (me, DW, DD8 and DD4) so you can image how quickly that adds up! Yes folks going to Disney world from Newfoundland, Canada is not cheap! on average we would expect to pay about $4000 taxes inc to fly from where we are to orlando.

On the plus side, you still end up in Disney World! :mickey:

faline
07-03-2010, 07:14 PM
In general, airfares (plus add on fees) are up and it's unlikely we will see low prices in the near future. We've experienced this for the last 1-1/2 - 2 years now!

HoosierDisneyFan
07-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Don't forget the extra $25 per bag charge on most airlines...

faline
07-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Don't forget the extra $25 per bag charge on most airlines...

That's part of what I menat by "add-on fees".

Polynesian Dweller
07-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Up here a lot of us watch US airline pricing to fly out of Buffalo, and noticed this. I wonder how much has to do with the FAA putting the rules about waiting on the Tarmac in place. It seemed to me that shortly after that prices went up and the number of flights went down.

Reducing flights reduces congestion at airports which reduces the chances of flights waiting past the time limit. Although the regulation is good this may be an unintended side effect. The $27000 per person fine ($4million for a 150 passenger flight) will make airlines reduce the risk when they charge like $89 per person ($13350 for 150 passenger flight).

MinnieMommie
07-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Do you mean $318 rt? If so even with additional add ons liks taxes I would grab it. In this market I don't anticipate getting any really good deals. If you check multiple times each day something might pop up but in general I don't think we can expect those sweet fares we found in the past.

TiggeRia
07-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Wow-I don't fly across country very often, and I guess maybe that's a good thing. Living on the east coast in NJ, I have access to a ton of major airports and several smaller ones too. We can still routinely get $54 each way to Orlando from our rinky dink airport 20 minutes from my house. I have that fare for my upcoming trip in Sept. Airtran often has great fares out of there, even better priced that if we were to drive to Newark or Philly. Even with the add ons for seats and luggage, its still under $140 r/t. I'll take it!

ILoveLegos
07-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Wow-I don't fly across country very often, and I guess maybe that's a good thing. Living on the east coast in NJ, I have access to a ton of major airports and several smaller ones too. We can still routinely get $54 each way to Orlando from our rinky dink airport 20 minutes from my house. I have that fare for my upcoming trip in Sept. Airtran often has great fares out of there, even better priced that if we were to drive to Newark or Philly. Even with the add ons for seats and luggage, its still under $140 r/t. I'll take it!

Hi, I'm assuming the rinky dink airport is Allentown. Have you taken the Continental "Bus" to EWR then the commuter plane to Baltimore Maryland then the plane to orlando (6:00am ~ 12 noon combo before?) It skips the stop in Maryland on the return trip. This flight combo is so cheap ($120 RT + taxes & fees) I'll probably give it a try in late August or early October. I was wondering if you liked it or not.

#1disneyfan
07-04-2010, 12:03 PM
We usually fly Southwest out of Philly. The prices are usually pretty good, though not as good as they used to be. I just booked for our upcoming vacation and I got right around $220 rt per person. And our luggage is included.

Good luck with your venture!

:mickey:

mickeyman42
07-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Do you mean $318 rt? If so even with additional add ons liks taxes I would grab it. In this market I don't anticipate getting any really good deals. If you check multiple times each day something might pop up but in general I don't think we can expect those sweet fares we found in the past.

No, I did mean $318, each way per person plus tax.:) great huh? I just laugh when we see commercials for $59 and $99 fares cause our taxes end up being around that!

TiggeRia
07-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Hi, I'm assuming the rinky dink airport is Allentown. Have you taken the Continental "Bus" to EWR then the commuter plane to Baltimore Maryland then the plane to orlando (6:00am ~ 12 noon combo before?) It skips the stop in Maryland on the return trip. This flight combo is so cheap ($120 RT + taxes & fees) I'll probably give it a try in late August or early October. I was wondering if you liked it or not.

You're right-it's Allentown and I love it! I have not tried what you mentioned. Ever since AirTran has moved into ABE, I have been able to find such good fares that are nonstop to MCO. They compete with Allegiant, so it's usually pretty good, although Allegiant has way too many hidden fees to be economical. Occasionally I can't get something decent out of ABE, so I wind up with Newark or Philly. Philly is usually cheaper though, because they are more of a central hub for AirTran. Even their luggage fees aren't horribly extravagant--$15 for the first bag, and $25 for the 2nd. That's ten times better than Continental and USAir which I recently flew to Alaska that was $25/$35 for bags.

MadMadamMim
07-04-2010, 01:17 PM
I live ten minutes from the airport in Allentown. It's amazing! Generally cheaper flying from there than from Philly! As so the $318 RT from Cali. I think that is absolutely reasonable for trips nowadays. Prices inflate, that's life, sometimes you have to realize that prices you paid last year just won't be the prices you pay this year.

ILoveLegos
07-04-2010, 01:35 PM
You're right-it's Allentown and I love it! I have not tried what you mentioned. Ever since AirTran has moved into ABE, I have been able to find such good fares that are nonstop to MCO. They compete with Allegiant, so it's usually pretty good, although Allegiant has way too many hidden fees to be economical. Occasionally I can't get something decent out of ABE, so I wind up with Newark or Philly. Philly is usually cheaper though, because they are more of a central hub for AirTran. Even their luggage fees aren't horribly extravagant--$15 for the first bag, and $25 for the 2nd. That's ten times better than Continental and USAir which I recently flew to Alaska that was $25/$35 for bags.

I live ten minutes from the airport in Allentown. It's amazing! Generally cheaper flying from there than from Philly! As so the $318 RT from Cali. I think that is absolutely reasonable for trips nowadays. Prices inflate, that's life, sometimes you have to realize that prices you paid last year just won't be the prices you pay this year.

Cool! Allentown is a great option for me, just wondering are the long term parking options reasonable?

NJGIRL
07-04-2010, 07:10 PM
There was a big story on the news (Philly station) over the winter that warned us that airfare was going to be high for the remainder of the year. :(

TiggeRia
07-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Cool! Allentown is a great option for me, just wondering are the long term parking options reasonable?

I've never utilized their long term parking because I live so close, but according to their website it's $14/day or $79/week for long term parking. I don't think the parking lot is horribly far away either, seeing as it's such a small airport.

ILoveLegos
07-05-2010, 09:16 AM
I've never utilized their long term parking because I live so close, but according to their website it's $14/day or $79/week for long term parking. I don't think the parking lot is horribly far away either, seeing as it's such a small airport.

Thanks - that's cheap for NY's Big Three! I checked into it: Economy parking is only $59 for a week. Nice indeed!